The Fountainhead of Youth:

The Fountainhead of Youth: Post your childhood or teen picture.

Ah, sweet youth, the too-brief span wherein the human chassis is factory-fresh and free of rust. Let’s relive those times by posting a picture of ourselves when hormones and pimples ruled.

Remember nobody over the age of 20 is to be admitted! So dig out that fading snapshot and post away. Come on, put aside that shyness or false pride and have some fun.

Who was it that said that youth is wasted on the young? :)

Victorsbabies-1.jpg10th.jpg

Victor and Angie!

I've always believed in the adage that the secret of eternal youth is arrested development.

- Mrs. Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Youth is easily deceived, because it is quick to hope.

- Aristotle

Youth had been a habit of hers for so long, that she could not part with it.

- Rudyard Kipling

Youth comes but once in a lifetime.

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Hyperion

The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

- Lucille Ball

Edited by Victor Pross

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you got 2 up there, here's one more. Yeah, yeah, don't give me any lip about your 20 and under rule.

This is what I got to say about your rules ------> Screw rules

21.jpg

Edited by CNA

Hey, baby, I remember the occasion for these two shots. The shot where I’m reading a book is at my grandparents—who raised me—and you can tell by the antique furniture in the background. And there I am with my very first hog. I’m reviving that mother up and having a good time. I was the only one to show up at high school riding a motorbike and I did draw some attention, that’s for sure.

Why don't you guys take advantage of our "Blog" feature for this kind of thing? This is personal stuff, not really discussions of ideas.

Sign up for an OL blog. It's easy and free and it does not clutter up our indicators of new posts for people who wish to discuss Objectivist-related issues.

Michael

Michael,

Your posting picture will not do! You are clearly over 20-years of age there!

-Victor

Why don't you guys take advantage of our "Blog" feature for this kind of thing? This is personal stuff, not really discussions of ideas.

Sign up for an OL blog. It's easy and free and it does not clutter up our indicators of new posts for people who wish to discuss Objectivist-related issues.

Michael

Mike,

I thought it was a cute idea to have OL members post photos of their youth. It gives everyone a chance to get to know everyone on a more personal level rather than having everything so formal. For me personally, when talking with others, it gives me more insight into who I am speaking with. It concretizes the individual rather than being disconnected black and white prototypes of Objectivist abstractions. For example, when I first met Chris, I had an idea of who he was. But when Victor did his caricature of him and a photo was posted of Chris, it concretized him. It turned him into a living breathing human being with feelings, ideas, and his own perspective.

There's been many threads on OL that have been started by various members, not just me and Victor that have nothing to do with O'ist related ideas. By their doing this, it has offered me a better understanding of who they are as an individual. It reveals their personality and how they are as an individual. I am very much interested in their ideas but also their personalities, a little bit of their lives outside of OL as it concretizes them into living breathing human beings.

The thread says what its purpose is. Whoever is interested will view the thread. Whoever is not interested can choose not to view the thread. The title and subtitle of the thread speaks for itself. If it shows up on the new thread indicator, they can read what the thread is about by the title and subtitle. So they will have an idea before even clicking on it what it will be about. From there, it's their choice to view it.

Angie

Edit: I also wanted to say that the Objectivist Living room is for "Fireside chats about anything and everything." I don't mean to be confrontational. I am just offering an argument and a defense of Victor's idea which I thought was a good idea because it helps get to know the other members better.

Edited by CNA

Angie,

You have something against blogs? Kat and I pay for that extra service.

Michael

No, I have nothing against blogs. But I am sure most do not view the blogs. I know I don't. With it being out in the open as it is in the Living Room, it offers a chance for others to view this and decide if they want to participate. It will offer others a chance to get to know their fellow members better.

I'm gonna have to side with Angie on this. There are tons of categories on here that have nothing to do with Objectivism: Sports, Music, etc. *shrugs* And I agree that probably nobody will look at it or respond if it's in a blog. :blink:

P.S. Ange, is that supposed to be your 80s hair? I thought it would be crazy but it doesn't look like that at all!

Come on, folks.

I ain't worried about people having a good time and I HATE being the traffic cop. But somebody has to say you can't play hide-and-seek and tag in the study hall.

The trivia to content ratio is too high. Some of our best and brightest are migrating to other places because of it. And I hear about it backstage. That's the problem.

Don't stop. I just need some balance.

And I do find the photos attractive.

Michael

5850TheRosenbaumfamily.jpg

The individuals identified in this photograph with reasonable certainty are: center row from left' date=' Fronz and Anna Rosenbaum, Alice’s parents; Alice’s maternal grandmother; Alice’s cousin, Nina; Alice’s maternal grandfather; and on his knee, 4 year-old Alice [Ayn Rand'].

Edited by Victor Pross

The trivia to content ratio is too high. Some of our best and brightest are migrating to other places because of it. And I hear about it backstage. That's the problem.

For heaven's sake, Michael, no one has to read anything that bores them. Why would anyone complain?

Judith

For heaven's sake, Michael, no one has to read anything that bores them. Why would anyone complain?

Judith

You said it, sista!

Then again, sometimes even if something IS boring...I just can't STOP! :lol:

Judith

The best and the brightest are migrating to other places while the marginal and lesser are lingering on either posting their youth pictures or registering their protests. :wink:

This is not a power play and I will not have it become one.

The problem is real and the hint is given.

OL is not a blog or a glee club. It is a discussion forum where people can also lighten up at times. When the light part starts drowning out the serious discussion, it is time to seek balance. No more and no less.

I hope nobody has a problem with the idea of balance...

Michael

EDIT - Let me amend that just in case people think I am against this thread. I am not. I even find the idea charming. I am against a huge flood of posts without ANY intellectual content whatsoever like what has evolved.

Some posts like that are OK and I get a kick out of some of them. A majority of posts like that is not OK.

Like I said, the concept is balance.

This is not a power play and I will not have it become one.

The problem is real and the hint is given.

OL is not a blog or a glee club. It is a discussion forum where people can also lighten up at times. When the light part starts drowning out the serious discussion, it is time to seek balance. No more and no less.

I hope nobody has a problem with the idea of balance...

Michael

EDIT - Let me amend that just in case people think I am against this thread. I am not. I even find the idea charming. I am against a huge flood of posts without ANY intellectual content whatsoever like what has evolved.

Some posts like that are OK and I get a kick out of some of them. A majority of posts like that is not OK.

Like I said, the concept is balance.

Michael, maybe you'd better be more clear. Hints aren't good enough. Can you spell out exactly what kinds of posts you're talking about, and what kinds of lines you want to draw, if this thread isn't an example? Are you talking about the little back-and-forth bantering responses? What? If you don't spell it out, the guilty will continue and the innocent will castigate themselves and repress themselves.

Judith

Why didn't the people who left just start posting their own "serious" discussions? If they wanted to spark up discussions about serious matters, they could have...and people would have responded!

P.S. I know that I tend to hi-jack threads. I will try to stop...but it's just so tempting. :)

Edit: I agree with you, Judith. Let's define the term "serious." Sometimes I seriously want to discuss what people looked like back in the day or what someone's favorite animal is. :lol:

Edited by Kori