"Atlas Shrugged" Quote

PalePower

My computer crashed a while ago and I lost basically everything - including my massive quote file with all my favorite Rand passages. =(

So, does anybody have/remember the word for word quote that goes something like "Your world is real, it exists, it can be won" and any relevant words/sentences that surround it?

I miss it!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

~Elizabeth

"The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours. But to win it requires total dedication and a total break with the world of your past, with the doctrine that man is sacrificial animal who exists for the pleasure of others. Fight for the value of your person. Fight for the virtue of your pride. Fight for the essence, which is man, for his sovereign rational mind. Fight with the radiant certainty and the absolute rectitude of knowing that yours is the morality of life and yours is the battle for any achievement, any value, any grandeur, any goodness, any joy that has ever existed on this earth."

Woot! Great quote!

*Gasp*

THANK YOU!

Might as well throw in a bunch of other quotes on this thread, huh?

Well, one of my personal favorites is in the 2nd paragraph of the 2nd page of the Centennial edition of The Fountainhead. Unfortunately, I lent out my copy to a friend. It talked about Roark's thoughts on the earth around him.

Might as well throw in a bunch of other quotes on this thread, huh?

Well, one of my personal favorites is in the 2nd paragraph of the 2nd page of the Centennial edition of The Fountainhead. Unfortunately, I lent out my copy to a friend. It talked about Roark's thoughts on the earth around him.

Wow, great job Jeff, we really appreciate your contribution - except for the fact, that..you didn't contribute anything.

:D

And, Kori, LAWL, YOU DONE DID DO THAT.

That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Nice quote, Victor. I always liked these:

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision."

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential."

"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco D'Anconia (LAWL!)

There is also one from a scene with Dagny and the newlywed Cherryl Taggart. Cherryl says something like, "I am the woman of this family now." to which Dagny replies, "I am the man." That made me laugh for a couple of minutes. She done got OWNED! LOL. I'll give e-cookies to whoever finds that exact quote.

There is also one from a scene with Dagny and the newlywed Cherryl Taggart. Cherryl says something like, "I am the woman of this family now." to which Dagny replies, "I am the man." That made me laugh for a couple of minutes. She done got OWNED! LOL. I'll give e-cookies to whoever finds that exact quote.

In part II chapter 2, The Aristocracy of pull. In my hardcover edition on p. 396.

Glad you likey. Late at night? Where are you? It's 4:24 p.m. here. Wowsa.

Since I wanted that exact quote, I figure I'll post it:

"'There's something I want you to know,' said Cherryl, her voice taut and harsh, 'so that there won't be any pretending about it. I'm not going to put on the sweet relative act. I know what you've done to Jim and how you've made him miserable all his life. I'm going to protect him against you. I'll put you in your place. I'm Mrs. Taggart. I'm the woman in this family now.'

'That's quite all right,' said Dagny. 'I'm the man.'"

In this scene, Cherryl got totally...

owned.jpg

Nice quote, Victor. I always liked these:

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision."

"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential."

"It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener." - Francisco D'Anconia (LAWL!)

Kori; The second quote is on the wall at Epcot at Disney World. "Throughout the centuries....

Chris, that's AWESOME! Kudos to Disney or whoever was in charge of building that. Happy thoughts!!

I'd have to say my favorite humorous Rand quote is as follows, from The Fountainhead, talking about the aunt that brought up Toohey:

"Aunt Adeline was a tall, capable woman to whom the word 'horse' clung in conjunction with the words 'sense' and 'face.'"

LAWL!! :D

E; If I remember the aunt is person who recognized Ellsworth for what he is. A quick look through The Fountainhead but I couldn't find the scene but I will keep looking. You might mention that description to someone who says Rand has no sense of humor.