Playoffs

Danneskjold

So, Bears just beat the Hawks, as I expected. Chargers are getting set to play the Patriots as we speak. My predictions are Chargers over Pats, Bears over Saints in a close game, Chargers over Colts because the Colts always choke, and Chargers v. Bears is anyone's guess.

What do you guys think?

By the way, in a bit, if I bet ten dollars that a team will win with a three point spread on the bet, and the team I bet for wins by three, do I win the bet?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uuuhhh..

Not that I can't watch football once in awhile (even though I live, er, 8 minutes from Browns Stadium, as if that weren't enough), but to paraphrase the Rand line: "But I don't think of football."

Lordy know, I tribed and ah tribed. Definitely went to more than a few football parties. I do have moments where I want to bond with my brethren and explore modernized Caveman behavior. It's good for a minute.

Sports render bad effects upon entertainers, maybe that's part of my disdain. You haven't lived until you're in the middle of a giant club gig at a sports bar with 80 TVs and they stop your band from starting the 2nd set because of a baseball game. Baseball! Not even football, the more visceral, understandable thing... blood to be taken.

I mean, if you're wasted at a bar, in the middle of your 10th jello shot and another beer and a burger, heck, I'll stop playing while you wait to see what happens on third and short. It's kind of in my best interest, even though it means I'll be coming home at 4pm instead of 3pm.

The only thing worse than that is when bar owners try to fuck with you over Daylight Savings Time and try to get another hour out of you. But I digress...

It's Rome, but without the splendor. I truly believe the world would be a better place without football, as it is now. It's just like how baseball got all fucked up. Even something as sacred as baseball (always, to my mind, the higher of the two). I can still enjoy baseball because I know a park 30 minutes from here where I can see a AAA league play, on the cheap, old school. And there's giveaways, and fun, and no glitz. No sniffing around the complex to buy your 8 dollar beer.

So, football? It has lost its purity. It is not about playing, although so much more is required in that regard.

Put it this way: Gary Kasparov is one of the best chess players in the world. If I want to see what he's up to, the barrier-to-entry isn't too tough. I can just whip out a board and step through his games.

But, the male network of football is nearly inviolate; they have even managed, on a regular basis, to conscript females as support networks. Women who normally would not prefer their man to become Homer Simpson aquiesce(sp?), and to that, I do have a bit of confused admiration--it is nearly on the metaphysical plane.

If one speaks in terms that are any less than Holy of football, as a man (women are usually just labelled as non-understanders, nudge nudge wink wink ain't she cute), odds are that one way or another you are working a tough room. The Man Code has been violated.

I have seen it be a deal breaker in business.

Don't get me started on golf.

Watching football, at least in the dedicated Nachos/Beer/Lay on the Recliner mode, is above all, a time-waster. I love diversions, but this one, in the end, only springs conversation, and not of the moving sort.

I was all over the place the other day and all I heard men talking about was the effing OH State/FL game. Yeah. Somehow, my thoughts always manage to lie elsewhere.

What is the drive, the drive so strong as to make even good, strong men revert to not only utter passivity, but the primal and the piggish? I have heard bromides. I have heard The Big Explanation Regarding How If I Were A Real Man I Would, And Hopefully Will Someday, Understand<tm>.

No, I understand. That's my problem. More beer and jello shots and wings, please?

There, Jeff (the most talented young writer I've seen in a long time, btw, kudos and thanks for your presence here!)-- answer your question? Heh!

rde

But I Digress (that's how I get material)

Edited by Rich Engle

Watching football isn't a waste of time, it's a tribut to man and man's prowess in many respects. Perhaps it requires knowledge of the nuances of the game to appreciate it as such, as is true with many things, but as someone who plays for a high school team, I can tell you that there is far more strategy and thought involved than one would assume.

I can tell you from experience that the smartest players on the field are, in order, the quarterback, the middle linebackers, the linemen, and the cornerbacks. This is an interesting order for things to go and one that is not thought of often. The reason the linemen have to be some of the smartest guys is because they have to constantly change their blocking schemes. The average offensive line has about five different types of blocks that must be executed with precision. Each of those blocking assignments are used in about 5 blocking schemes that tell a lineman how to block based on play and position of the defensive lineman, and if that wasn't enough there are two or three different names for each blocking scheme. Along with that they have to remember the count and adjust the scheme to changes in the defensive formation.

That is just a single example of the many different intellectual aspects of the game. If you look at what the offensive line deals with and are impressed, then you won't believe the strategic weight on the shoulders of the quarterback and the middle linebacker.

Make no mistake, football is a tribute to the good in human beings in the same way that the heroes in Rand's novels. They are physical specimens and got to where they are because of their own hard work. They have mastered the mental aspect of the game as well. Watching football is a means to admire this all, to admire what man is capable of.

Canadians play football, it's just really messed up football where the only way they can get points is to punt it into the endzone.

Ah, I'm just playing with ya.

You know, of course, hockey is the game here. But I don't care for it. It's a professionally staged brawl intermittently interupted by the spectacle of men on skates chasing an oversized poker chip around the rink.

Well, I missed the call on Chargers v. Patriots. Which I like to some degree because it's Manning v. Brady. The difference between Manning and Brady is, although they are both great regular season quarterbacks, Brady can keep his windpipes open under pressure. Manning and the Colts have no reason to not be in the same position as the Patriots, the only difference between the rings on Manning's (0) fingers and the rings on Brady's (3) is the intestinal fortitude.

Canadians play football, it's just really messed up football where the only way they can get points is to punt it into the endzone.

You know, of course, hockey is the game here. But I don't care for it. It's a professionally staged brawl intermittently interupted by the spectacle of men on skates chasing an oversized poker chip around the rink.

Now this is a totally nice breather! Considering my past relationships and the diehard sports junkies that some were, it will be so nice not to have someone that doesn't make it a necessity or even a want to be plopped down on the couch in front of the TV watching Monday night football or what have you with beer in hand and artery clogging food ta boot. This is a very nice and very welcome change of scenery and pace. I like it a lot !! I can think of many other fun and titillating things to do, don't you think?

Now this is a totally nice breather! Considering my past relationships and the diehard sports junkies that some were, it will be so nice not to have someone that doesn't make it a necessity or even a want to be plopped down on the couch in front of the TV watching Monday night football or what have you with beer in hand and artery clogging food ta boot. This is a very nice and very welcome change of scenery and pace. I like it a lot !! I can think of many other fun and titillating things to do, don't you think?

That’s right, baby. My interests are philosophy, movies, music, art and you. Now that's a real man. :cool:

That’s right, baby. My interests are philosophy, movies, music, art and you. Now that's a real man. :cool:

:) Now it would be a lot of fun and interesting if we can mix the movie, music, art, and us together. Having lots of fun painting, listening to some wonderful music, and video camera in hand, many smiles and many laughs. Hey, I can draw some really cute and funny faces !! :wink:

I was thinking about saying something about the playoffs but Jeff beat me to it. Are the liberals and the left going to cheering for N'Orleans in support of the poor folks in the ninth ward. The Pats are very Blue state and the Colts are very Red. I guess we just have to see what happens.

I'm rooting for Da Bears! Heres some videos to get you in the mood. Everyone is sending in videos to Redeye. Check it out. Even a guy from the Lyric Opera is singing the Bears fight song.

Bear Down Chicago Bears Videos at Redeye Chicago

Here is the classic from 1985...

The Superbowl Shuffle

Watch the Bears kick some ass on Sunday at 2:00 Chicago time.

Kat

I have to say I'm leaning towards the Bears as well. My dad went to University of Chicago, my mom worked in the Sears Tower, and my dad worked for an investment bank there. It's where I was conceived, so I more or less have roots there. Not to mention I LOVE DEFENSE.

Here's how it's gonna work, it's all dependent on which Bears defense shows up. The impermeable Bears defense shows up, Deuce McCallister won't be able to gain a yard (he's a square shoulders runner hard runner and the Bears' defense is perfectly suited for that). Reggie Bush might give them trouble with the pure athleticism. Their secondary isn't the best and Drew Brees has been incredible as of late, so you that's a coin toss. Bears need to create turnovers, but they're good at that and the Saints had quite a few mishaps last game (like Bush missing the pitch).

On the other side of the ball, I'm just frankly not impressed with the Bears' offense. If the passing game doesn't get off the ground the run game won't either. They'll have to rely on their amazing kick returner and field position for points. If the passing game gets off the ground then they'll be able to use the ground game. If that happens then they may or may not need an amazing defensive game.

If Chicago has one side of the ball going well (which is all they've ever had going at one time) then it'll be anyone's guess. If the Saints play their best and Chicago plays their best, it's still a tossup. Should be interesting.

LT is an amazing back. Far and away the best in the NFL. Drew Brees is pretty good, but man, you gotta love watching Reggie Bush run.

As a fellow San Diegan, you bet I love watching Reggie Bush run. Alas, my Chargers gave one away, so now it's GO SAINTS! Sorry Kat, Chicago already has a Super Bowl win.

By the way, in a bit, if I bet ten dollars that a team will win with a three point spread on the bet, and the team I bet for wins by three, do I win the bet?

I don't think that this question has been answered for Jeff. No, you don't win the bet; you push. You don't win $10, but you don't lose $10 either.

Kudos to Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. In a league made up of 70% African-American players, but with only 5 African-American coaches out of 32 teams, hopefully Smith's and Dungy's success will open up some doors.

Congrats Kat!