Playoffs

Danneskjold

Best offense in the NFL v. the best defense in the NFL, then both teams are pretty much Jekyll and Hyde on the other side of the ball.

If the Saints had listened to my strategy I posted on SOLO for beating the Bears they would have won. :lol: I'll relay it to you guys at lunch.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Root for the Bears anyway. I know I am. I'm a D-lineman and our high school football team takes pride in having a stiff defense year after year. In baseball I'm a catcher which is a primarily defensive position (hitting isn't as important). So my whole mentality is stacked towards defense which is what I love about the Bears.

I am pretty happy with the outcomes. That Pats/Colts game was a good game. So, the Colts are finally going to the Super Bowl after overcoming everyone's playoff nemesis. Since Chicago won more handily, they really looked like the NFC team with the best hope to handle the Colts. But, with the Colts playing much improved defense lately, the Bears and the NFC once again look to be hard-pressed to win the Super Bowl.

I'd rather play sports than watch it, but sometimes watching people do anything well is fun. I will also remind people that humans are animals and not just ethereal minds. It is, as the Greeks understood, a good thing to exercise and physically challenge your body. It is an essential part of the integrated man. I sure liked playing baseball, basketball, and, especially, football as a kid. I really liked the pure physical pleasure of tackling on defense and always led my team with tackles. On offense I usually played receiver, which was odd given my size and speed, but if I could touch the ball, it was caught. I never gave a fig whether anyone was going to hit me when I was laid out across the middle. Hell, the hits were fun whether I was hitting or being hit. This physicality seemed to complement being one of the best students just fine. Not being big enough or fast enough or inclined to submit to discipline enough, I did not play varsity football, which was a very serious business in Tulsa and still is. Instead, we played tackle football without pads at the local park. We often played hard for 2 hours straight on a Saturday afternoon, took a 15 minute break and played another hour. Now and then, a varsity or JV player would play with us against the coach's orders. A few of them got hurt, so the coach knew what he was doing. Usually they played with us out of season.

In the 3rd year of my Tulsa high school's existence, the 2nd with a senior class, they shared the conference championship. The quarterback went to West Point and later worked as an engineer. Two of the first string linemen became doctors, one of whom was a good friend of mine. I convinced our calculus teacher to give the quarterback an A, which she did not want to give to a jock. But he and a girl were on the cusp and she was well inclined toward the girl. Turns out that the quarterback had worked extremely hard in this class and that getting that A was one of the prouder moments of his life. We talked about it at the 15th reunion when he told me about how much he liked being an engineer.

There is nothing wrong with sports, as a part of a balanced life. When life becomes sports, then they are a problem. There is also nothing wrong with someone who does not have the physical attributes to be good at sports. But, playing can be a confidence booster and as Jeff has pointed out, there is plenty of room for thinking in sports. Paul has elsewhere talked about strategy in soccer and how important that was in his thinking about perspectives. As a grad student, I played a lot of handball and racquetball, and thinking is an essential part of those games. This is probably why Coach Joe Gibbs was once a champion racquetball player during his earlier tenure as coach of the Redskins.

In my defense (defense of people who center their life around sports), there's nothing wrong with having sports be your life as long as you use that to motivate yourself in other areas you can form into a profession if you fail in sports.

Edited by Jeff Kremer

Jeff,

Your being here and thinking about the things you are thinking about indicates that there is some balance in your life. There is nothing wrong with playing football professionally if that is your goal.

Baseball was my first sports love. Played it a lot in NJ then played it constantly in VA. Moved to RI and started playing a lot of basketball, at first because we lived in the sticks and I could do it by myself, then a kid a year older moved in and he liked basketball. Later started spending Friday nights at the Marine gym playing basketball. Then moved to Tulsa and football became the dominant game, though I had played some in RI and VA.

My prediction: Bears win the Super Bowl and I win $$$ in the office pool. There was a lot of team spirit out today and most people wore Bears stuff to work. I am participating in the office pool. My numbers are 0 and 0, which I understand to be very good. :)

GO BEARS!

The only thing that could be better if they were playing in the cold. Cold+passing game=weakness. Cold+passing game+ Bears' ungodly defense+ Brian Urlacher (he deserves his own mention)+God (Brian Urlacher)=Bears win. When the defense both is ungodly and has God on it, you know they're good.

Rex Grossman should be fired. He played that game like he was scared. Who's scared of baby horses? They're cute if anything. Lineman coming at you, you can do one of a few things.

1) Dodge left

2) Dodge right

3) Take the hit/fall for a three yard loss

4) Turn tail and run like a panzy ten yards back of the line of scrimmage on second and two to make sure that you get don't get a first down.

Which one do you think Grossman did?

Guy is wide open down the middle, do you:

1) Hit him while he's open with a good hard pass

2) Throw a weak lame duck off your back foot that would give a defensive lineman enough time to run under it?

Which one do you think Rex Grossman did?

I can throw a nerf ball into the wind as well as Grossman was throwing the football today. I could also probably take a snap better. Anybody know what Grossman's quarterback rating was today?

Grossman had a terribly hard time receiving the ball from his center (in perfectly good snaps) and he seemed to mistake Colt players for Bear players down-field a lot.

What an awful off day. The Colts didn't win because they beat the Bears. 29 is not a great score. Hell, they even blew a field goal. The Bears lost because they didn't have a quarterback.

Michael