Good Colleges

It's now come time for me to start looking at colleges. At least to have some idea about them. I'm wondering what a good place to go would be where the general air supply won't be filled with insufferable hot air from moral high ground altruists. (They have this band habit of contaminating what is collective by talking about what should be) Any ideas? So far I'm looking at Stanford (pretty bad, but it's got the Hoover Institute nearby), Oregon State (no clue how bad that is), UNC, and any other D1 college with a good baseball program.

Any suggestions?

Jeff; I want more time to think about this topic. Stanford has a great rep. What is going to be your major? I suspect the costs would be lower if you go to a state school in Oregon. Good Luck and Good Premises!

How about Rice University in Houston, Texas? They have absolutely top-notch academics in just about every area, their baseball team was 57-13 last year and tied for 3rd in the College World Series and are the Preseason #1. I also doubt you'll meet up ith too many postmoderns in Texas :-)...

Jim

Thanks guys. I think I want to major in economics or any of various philosophy majors, however I am taking a few new courses next year (physics would be the one I am most looking forward to) and so that is still up for grabs. I am also considering a double major.

Cost is not a problem. I plan to go at least halfway on a baseball scholarship, and if I achieve my goal, my senior year will justify the other half being picked up by an academic scholarship (My senior year I plan to take AP physics, AP english, Calculus, Spanish 4, and AP U.S. Government). Besides that I have a fair sized college trust thanks to my grandparents and parents and have no qualms with working my way through college.

You guys don't take AP U.S. Government until senior year? Also, why so many AP classes and not any college classes? You have a better chance of a college accepting your college credit rather than your AP test score. This year I'm taking AP World History, but I don't plan on taking the test. It's second semester and we're only on ancient Rome. We need to pick up the pace a bit if we're going to cover the history of the entire world.

I'm a senior and I haven't even really looked at colleges. It surprises me that you're looking so early. I thought you had already decided that you were going to Stanford or something. I'm just ready to get the hell OUT of school, so I'm probably going to a technical institute to get a degree in architectural drafting. Do any of you know if there is any school where I can get a FOUR year degree for that? I looked, but could only find Associates degrees.

Just when I thought it was over....four more years....

We took World History freshman year. Right now I am taking U.S. History and Government and History of Western Civilization (which is where I'm learning about Ancient Rome). I truly enjoy the ethnocentrism in our school. Freshman year we cover Revolutionary War-WWII, 8th grade year we went over what preceded that, and all the rest of the required courses are on U.S.

Stanford is also what I am thinking will be my first choice. But that is only at the moment.

Edited by Jeff Kremer

Ah, we did American History II in freshman year, then World History, then AP Government and Politics, and this year is our choice...I am taking AP World History. Silly me though...I thought I might actually learn things I didn't already know. Other history classes that are offered are College American History, Military History, College European History. I really wish we were offered Economics, but only one school in our district gets that. :(

Chris,

I'd love some recommendations!

Military history is just that...the history of the military. LOL. I don't know, I'm not at all interested in taking that. Our school does not have as much of a selection as this one school in the district. They have all the classes. Oh, but at least we have a new gym (our THIRD gym!) *rolls eyes*

Kori; Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt. Eat the Rich by PJ O'Rourke O'Rourke has a new book about Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and recently spent three hours on Book TV. Both of these book are short but have lots of material. Good luck and premises! PS I have not read the book on Adam Smith but I watched the Book TV appearance and found it enlightening.