SADDAM HUSSEIN IS DEAD.

Victor Pross

Saddam Hussein was captured by forces from the 4th Infantry Division, coalition forces and special operations forces at approximately 8 p.m. local time on December 13, 2003, in a remote farm house near Tikrit, Iraq. He was executed not more than an hour ago from the posting of this notification. Is this news to cheer among all Objectivists?

I say it's good news, period.

Let's put it this way: It could not have happened to a more deserving butcher.

Edited by Victor Pross

Saddam Hussein executed in Iraq

30 December 2006

BBC News

From the article:

"Criminal Saddam was hanged to death," state-run Iraqiya television announced, as patriotic music and images of national monuments were broadcast.

A scrolling headline read: "Saddam's execution marks the end of a dark period of Iraq's history."

The TV station said Saddam Hussein's half-brother and the former chief justice of the Revolutionary Court were also hanged.

There is never true solace to be found from an execution. Not really. It is always a sadness.

That being said: Fuck you, sporty pants...have a nice day.

The concept of Hell is convenient, in certain cases.

rde

Yeah, you thought we forgot all about that woodchipper and soccer team shit, didn't you, em-effer. Not!

Edited by Rich Engle

Goodbye and good riddance.

blackhorse,

Ahmadinejad shouldn't be equated with the late Saddam.

As an absolute ruler, Saddam was the chief bad guy in Iraq.

Ahmadinejad is plenty bad, but he merely reports to the chief bad guy in Iran. He is a flunky of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Under the theocratic regime instituted in 1979 it is the council of 5 senior ayatollahs, with Khamenei at its head, that rules Iran. Ahmadinejad was chosen in an election from which any reasonably popular politician who opposed Khamenei was deliberately excluded.

Robert Campbell

I bet the historical revisionists of the Islamic and Western worlds will be working hard to turn the dead Iraqi dictator into something other than what he was—a murdering tyrant, a sadistic autocrat. They will declare he was a martyr, a warrior who died battling the Great White Satan of the United States, a victim of a kangaroo court.

The truth is, of course, Saddam was the author of his own destruction. He ruled by fear, torture and murder. The execution was too good for him.

Saddam_Hussein_dead.jpg

Edited by Victor Pross

Robert; Your point is well made. We don't need to go to war with Iran. The people want to get rid of the mullahs. The last Iranian election shows that the Iranian people want to move to a more republican government.

blackhorse,

Ahmadinejad shouldn't be equated with the late Saddam.

As an absolute ruler, Saddam was the chief bad guy in Iraq.

Ahmadinejad is plenty bad, but he merely reports to the chief bad guy in Iran. He is a flunky of the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Under the theocratic regime instituted in 1979 it is the council of 5 senior ayatollahs, with Khamenei at its head, that rules Iran. Ahmadinejad was chosen in an election from which any reasonably popular politician who opposed Khamenei was deliberately excluded.

Robert Campbell

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad should also be executed.

Robert,

I agree. Also, the guy's days seem to be numbered.

If anyone has the stomach to see the video of Saddam being hung, here it is on Panda Chute:

Leaked Saddam Being Hung Video

Here is the same one on Google Video (with many other posted videos captioning the hanging):

Video of Saddam Hussein being executed

Michael

~ As Chris said, he WAS granted 'more' dignity...than he (or ANY 'dic[k]tator) deserved.

~ He should have been hanged 'in company' with the others of his subordinates as the thugs they all were. A-N-D, all of the globe should be privy to 'seeing' such; one can only hope for the same, re Bin Laden.

~ An aside: I'd guess that any discussion re 'public executions' should now be a moot and very academic point, since clearly there's no way such will be avoided, given the Web, argued for/against TV-showings or non.

LLAP

J:D

P.S: re Castro: wonder if the 'bird in the bed' is worse, or better (to deal with), than the 'bird behind the bed'?

Edited by John Dailey

I'm glad justice was served and we can start a new year without this creature among us. I hope they will now find Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice as well. There are very few truly evil men in the world and there is one less today. I wish for a better world where such evil monsters cannot thrive and gain power as Saddam Hussain did.

Kat

Should anyone feel a twinge of pity for Saddam, they should read the following report:

Baathed in Blood: Chronicling the horror, and scope, of Saddam's tyranny

by Gerard Alexander

May 22, 2006

That should cure any renegade pity in the hearts of good people. I caught this report on another website (over "there"). It comes from an interesting-looking publication: The Weekly Standard. (Good caricatures, too.)

Michael

• 2 weeks later...