Favorite band?

blackhorse

Front Line Assembly, :wumpscut: or Icon of Coil. But usually its select works rather than entire discographies.

I just can't do it anymore-- too many good ones, music is too BIG.

Lately I've been listening to jazz. Diana Krall's new album is nice.

Modern rock bands, the new ones, are starting to homogenize even more, go figure. I see a bunch of guys sitting in hotel rooms on tour, and they end up writing a lot of whiney, overly self-exploratory crap, for one.

There are a some that are drawing from art rock and progressive roots that display actual technical skills...

But as far as pick one if you are trapped on a desert island? Dunno, that would make me nuts. Hendrix, maybe.

Lately I've been listening to jazz. Diana Krall's new album is nice.

Funny you mention her. My english teacher loves her new album and she played it in class for two successive class periods. I swear to god...I sat there for 85 minutes just screaming on the inside. I couldn't stand it. (She also played John Mayer :sick: ) :lol:

I’m sure I would appreciate many of the bands you younger folks are recommending, but my circumstances make it hard to sample the music, i.e., I live in Indochina, am somewhat isolated and have limited internet access. As an old guy, I am a bit old-school. My favorites that have withstood the tests of time:

Led Zeppelin

“And it’s whispered that soon,

if we all call the tune,

the piper will lead us to reason.

And a new day will dawn

for those who stand long

and the forest will echo with laughter.”

“I’m packin’ my bags

for the Misty Mountains.”

The Who

“We won’t get fooled again!”

“I climb the mountain, I get excitement at your feet.”

Overture to Tommy (instrumental). This short piece really soars.

“I can see for miles and miles and miles….”

Cream

“I went down to the crossroads….”

“I’m so glad! I’m so glad! I’m glad, I’m glad, I’m glad!”

The Byrds

“I wasn’t born to follow.”

-Ross Barlow.

~ "Band"? -- I take it, this excludes 'orchestras'? (Just what IS 'the difference', anyways?)

~ I can't say that I'm a musical connoisseur, but, 'band'-wise, short of The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Iron Butterfly, Rolling Stones, and especially Stan Kenton's and Louis Prima's (never cared for the 'classic' mainstream-of-the-times bands, like Benny Goodman's), I gotta say that my really 'fave' band was...Spike Jones' one; especially (though not 'only') when (t)he(y) did 'the "Classics".' (Arthur Fiedler working The Boston Pops comes close, especially when he did Batman [TV-theme]; but, he did have a whole orchestra.)

LLAP

J:D

P.S. Spike knew how to inject 'humor' into his music (usually parodies, granted). Fiedler clearly learned from him.

Edited by John Dailey