Are OL Canadians Ready to Learn Chinese?

Are OL Canadians Ready to Learn Chinese?

To Canadian OL members.

What do you guys think about this?

'We Will Not Be Deterred' - Trudeau Responds After Beijing Directly Threatens "Health & Safety" Of 300,000 Canadians In Hong Kong

Late this week, diplomatic tensions between Ottawa and Beijing flared as China's ambassador to Canada delivered a direct threat to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, openly threatening to unlawfully target innocent Canadian citizens if Canada continues to accept refugees from Hong Kong.

. . .

Clearly, Beijing believes that if it pushes hard enough, Ottawa might fold.

. . .

Cong [Ambassador Cong Peiwu] added that accepting more dissidents could jeopardize the "health and safety" of 300,000 Canadians living in Hong Kong, and presumably others living in the mainland

Will the Chinese Communist Party, not you, decide who can come into Canada and stay?

Is Trudeau up to this threat and stand tall?

Or are you all ready to bow down and kiss the feet of your Chinese masters?

There's no way to skirt this one. 

The world is looking on you..

Michael

• Like 2

Adding full quotes from the Chinese envoy that were denounced by Canada. 

Items/incidents/cases to bear in mind -- a Huawei executive, Meng Wanzhou, was arrested in transit by the RCMP in 2018, on the request of the United States.  The charges were essentially fraud.  She was released on bail with conditions while she fights the extradition process in Canadian courts. It's not looking good for her.  

The Chinese government essentially took two Canadians hostage in China, and has withheld consular services from them.  This is what the prime minister called "coercive diplomacy" ...

Since the imposition of a new "national security" statute on the territory of the Hong Kong SAR (Special Administration Region), tensions with Canada and China have come to a head. Mentioned in the story linked by Michael is the proximate cause for the latest dustup ... the granting of refugee status to two Hong Kong "criminals" ... aka democracy protestors.

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

[Quoting a no-byline article at ZeroHedge: ]Cong [Ambassador Cong Peiwu] added that accepting more dissidents could jeopardize the "health and safety" of 300,000 Canadians living in Hong Kong, and presumably others living in the mainland

The not-so-subtly menacing quote from the ambassador:

"We strongly urge the Canadian side not [to] grant so-called political asylum to those violent criminals in Hong Kong because it is the interference in China’s domestic affairs. And certainly, it will embolden those violent criminals.

So if the Canadian side really cares about the stability and the prosperity in Hong Kong, and really cares about the good health and safety of those 300,000 Canadian passport-holders in Hong Kong, and the large number of Canadian companies operating in Hong Kong SAR, you should support those efforts to fight violent crimes."

Canada has roughly a million and a half citizens who claim an ethnic Chinese heritage. How will they react to the prime minister's response? I'll be checking the Chinese-language/s media.

Trudeau: "We will continue to work with China for advancing Canadian interests and Canadian producers. At the same time we will remain absolutely committed to working with our allies to ensure that China's approach of coercive diplomacy, its arbitrary detention of two Canadian citizens alongside other citizens of other countries around the world is not viewed as a successful tactic by them.  It has put a significant strain on Canada-China relations and we will continue to highlight our concern for the Canadians detained, our concern for the protection of human rights in places like Hong Kong and Xinjiang province with the Uyghurs. We're going to continue to work with our fellow like-minded nations around the world to impress upon China that its approach to internal affairs and global affairs is not on a particularly productive path for itself or for all of us."

Will Canada continue to accept refugee claims from Hong Kong protestors/violent criminals?

Yes, I believe we will.  Will the USA accept refugee claims from Hong Kong residents?  Yes. Yes, but.  The USA has severely curtailed refugee acceptance, and changed several rules that could have made it easier for Hong Kong residents to claim asylum.

Our countries share a fundamental commitment to human rights. I hope the incoming US administration can work closely with allies to tweak Beijing's nose hard. Once Meng is sent south of the border to stand trial, the story will take a turn.

Edited by william.scherk
Grammaire, flow, added final sentence
  • Like 1

William,

It was a different context, but when Kim Jung Un threatened the US, President Trump said he has a big-ass button he can push.

Then peace broke out. Not a perfect peace, but enough to remove the threat of nuclear war for the present.

Now Trudeau?

5 hours ago, william.scherk said:

Trudeau: "We will continue to work with China for advancing Canadian interests and Canadian producers. At the same time we will remain absolutely committed to working with our allies to ensure that China's approach of coercive diplomacy, its arbitrary detention of two Canadian citizens... blah blah blah

Any time a politician uses the word "absolutely," that means it's relative. And the standard is his own political and/or financial well-being.

Trudeau loves him some weasel-worded adverbs.

Trump loves qualifiers, too, but he doesn't use them for weasel purposes of CYA. In his own description, he plays to people's fantasies.

So instead of words, let's look at images.

I can't see Trump bowing down and kissing the feet of the Chinese Communist Party. Ever.

I can see Trudeau doing that.

For the sake of Canadians, who I love, I hope he has enough spine and smarts to avoid the needless deaths of a lot of Canadians. And if he has enough self-awareness to realize he needs help navigating this, I hope he stops the bullshit and calls on Trump for advice.

Michael

4 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So instead of words, let's look at images.

I can't see Trump bowing down and kissing the feet of the Chinese Communist Party. Ever.

I can see Trudeau doing that.

We'll see what happens. Canada has a few friends and alliances, who have reacted in solidarity against the "coercive diplomacy." Hold firm against extortion and maintain principles of universal rights.

I am sure Mr Trump would also offer his solidarity, we're he not quite so busy these days.

As for any advances made to curtail nuclear warhead and intercontinental ballistics development in North Korea, Trump joins a long line of losers and suckers. Whatever rapprochement the North and South had achieved has returned to the status quo ante.

Edited by william.scherk
Contempt

4 hours ago, william.scherk said:

We'll see what happens. Canada has a few friends and alliances, who have reacted in solidarity against the "coercive diplomacy." Hold firm against extortion and maintain principles of universal rights.

William,

And when the Canadians start getting rounded up, will you bow down and kiss the feet of the Chinese to get them to release the prisoners? Will you encourage Trudeau to do that?

I'm not just sparring with leading questions.

I honestly don't know.

I know, for instance, Jules would rather die than do that. I don't know about you.

4 hours ago, william.scherk said:

I am sure Mr Trump would also offer his solidarity, we're he not quite so busy these days.

As for any advances made to curtail nuclear warhead and intercontinental ballistics development in North Korea, Trump joins a long line of losers and suckers. Whatever rapprochement the North and South had achieved has returned to the status quo ante.

(Quibble: "were," not "we are")

This is where you don't get Trump and I say this after reading your posts for a long time.

President Trump is not just doing election. During the impeachment, he engineered the Middle East peace deal among a whole lot of other things. According to the anti-Trump caricature that he is a vain man with thin skin, the impeachment should have been all he thought about. But he did a large number of activities at that time, some of them world-changing in a good way.

So, even in election times, if China attacked Canada for real, President Trump would not only offer his solidarity without being requested. On his own, he would tell the Chinese in no uncertain terms to not fuck with North America.

As to North Korea, you don't see it, but he's still in the middle of the deal. China is the joker in the pack. People who don't like Trump like you always call the score before the game is over. Then they sit around not knowing what happened when Trump wins. Granted, he loses a few, but note that word "few." Then look at the sheer number of productive deals he makes. It's not an exaggeration to say he did more in 47 months than Biden did in 47 years.

So, as I sit here looking at my buttons, I wonder, do I end snarky or not?

Hmmmm...

(drum roll)

Well...

Of course I will.

:) 

I still can't see Trump bowing down and kissing the feet of the Chinese Communist Party. Ever.

And I still can see Trudeau doing that.

:evil: 

Now, to be nice :) , I sincerely hope Trudeau doesn't do that.

You guys in Canada deserve a leader who stands tall in bad times.

I hope Trudeau is that man. It looks like we're going to see what happens sooner than later.

Michael

• Like 1

Trudeau is a fucking spineless pussy.  He would totally sell us down the river if he hasn’t already.  Once in a while he saysssss “oh I’m not happy with how you are treating Canadians” but he doesn’t dooo anything about it.  Those 2 guys the Chinese are holding for 2 yrs and counting?  Well they will rot until Trudeau is out of power.  The executive waiting to be extradited to the US?  Fucking send her to the US yesterday. Holding her is doing nothing.  He should have said “look I’ll hand her over but you gotta help us with the 2 Canadians”.  As for the rest of our Canadians over seas in China?  They should have been quietly leaving months ago.  Sever all ties with these fucks and refuse to do any business with them period.  Fuck all trade deals with them.  Cut them off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jules Troy said:

Trudeau is a fucking spineless pussy.  He would totally sell us down the river if he hasn’t already.  Once in a while he saysssss “oh I’m not happy with how you are treating Canadians” but he doesn’t dooo anything about it.  Those 2 guys the Chinese are holding for 2 yrs and counting?  Well they will rot until Trudeau is out of power.  The executive waiting to be extradited to the US?  Fucking send her to the US yesterday. Holding her is doing nothing.  He should have said “look I’ll hand her over but you gotta help us with the 2 Canadians”.  As for the rest of our Canadians over seas in China?  They should have been quietly leaving months ago.  Sever all ties with these fucks and refuse to do any business with them period.  Fuck all trade deals with them.  Cut them off.

Jules,

I knew this was coming.

So tell us how you really feel.

On another note, I take it, as a man and a Canadian, you're not in favor of bowing down and kissing the feet of Chinese Communist Party masters?

Michael

btw - Man, when I say "tell us how you really feel," it reminds me of one of the nicest most upbeat OL members we ever had, Chris Grieb, now deceased. He always said that when people sounded off. 

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

btw - Man, when I say "tell us how you really feel," it reminds me of one of the nicest most upbeat OL members we ever had, Chris Grieb, now deceased. He always said that when people sounded off. 

I immediately thought of Chris Grieb when I read your "tell us how you really feel" to Jules.

Larry and I were staying for a few days - in summer or late spring 2010 - with John and Marsha Enright after a Heartland climate conference, which had been held in Chicago, when John received the news from a mutual friend of his and Chris's that Chris had died.  Sad, sad news.  Chris was a ray of light on OL.

Re "tell us how you really feel" as addressed to Jules, however, I also had the immediate thought (seemed like two thoughts occurring simultaneously) that Jules could use stronger language than he did use.

Ellen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Jules,

I knew this was coming.

So tell us how you really feel.

On another note, I take it, as a man and a Canadian, you're not in favor of bowing down and kissing the feet of Chinese Communist Party masters?

Michael

We need an anti commiebastard virus?

In the 50s they couldn’t grow enough rice, what does Canada do? Bioengineered rice for the fucks that grow 3x the yield.  You know all the cofeeefee over Chinese created 5G networks?  Where did they come up with that?  By undermining and then buying out Nortel a Canadian telecommunications company that was light years ahead of everyone on the planet.  Most if not all of 5G was created by Nortel.  Fucking thieves.  Fuck them they can all starve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well well well, Canada...

Kowtow time?

On 10/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Is Trudeau up to this threat and stand tall?

Or are you all ready to bow down and kiss the feet of your Chinese masters?

It looks kissing Chinese feet is well on the way to becoming a fad in Canada like wearing the Chinese virus masks.

I hope Canadians adapt to the taste of Chines foot.

Butt will be next.

The Chinese military doesn't need to invade Canada. They are being invited in.

One thing you can be sure of. Trudeau is getting his just like Biden got his.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Quoting the insert:

"JUST IN - Justin Trudeau invited China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) to send its troops for cold-weather training at Canadian military bases in Ontario (via Rebel News)"

Great.  Ontario.  Easy access to the U.S. states ringing the Great Lakes.

Ellen

Love flows across the border.

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

It looks kissing Chinese feet is well on the way to becoming a fad in Canada like wearing the Chinese virus masks.

I hope Canadians adapt to the taste of Chines foot.

Butt will be next.

The fad of wearing Chinese virus masks?  Are you serious?

As for the Rebel story and its somewhat-inflated claims, it might pay to read the documents their propagandists interpret for you.

FINAL_WATERMARKED_REDACTED_Final_document_compressed.pdf (d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net)

Edited by william.scherk
Post got caught in a dark mode.

Here you go, William.

I think I found something useful for you at Open Culture for you to get a jump start ahead of the other Canadians.

Free Chinese Lessons

Learn Mandarin for free online. Download free audio lessons to your computer or mp3 player and start learning Mandarin instantly. 

Someday you'll thank me.

Michael

Justin luvs him some Communist China.

People are not seeing this because Trudeau is hiding it.

The thing he loves the most about China is their dictatorship.

His words right there in the video. Not mine.

He's telling it to their faces and getting away with it.

Ah... the taste of Chinese foot...

Michael

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Justin luvs him some Communist China.

Here's the latest installment.

Here's the link to the article and the video embedded so you don't have to click through.

Chinese pilots training at former Canadian military base in Alberta

A troop of Chinese nationals are training to become pilots at a decommissioned Canadian military base near Red Deer, Alberta. After receiving several tips suggesting that China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) was actively training military personnel at the former CFB Penhold, Rebel News visited the location to investigate.

Rebel News confirmed that there is a vast number of Chinese nationals conducting flight training, and they have been doing so for years. One student said that he had been there for “around 500 days,” and that another group of students headed back to China had been there for “32 months.”

Training foreign nationals from an increasingly belligerent nation like China in the art of flying our aircraft is not as innocuous as it might seem. The knowledge gap between flying a plane full of civilians and flying a plane full of soldiers is not that wide.

. . .

The Trudeau government was infuriated when the Canadian Armed Forces cancelled the training, following China’s kidnapping of Canadian citizens Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig.

. . .

The Chinese students are being housed in the barracks formerly occupied by members of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Trudeau keeps on keepin' on.

So I don't think it's too far off when Canadians become experts in Sino-podiatric duo-vermillion massage.

Michael

29 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Here's the latest installment.

Here's the link to the article and the video embedded so you don't have to click through.

Chinese pilots training at former Canadian military base in Alberta

Trudeau keeps on keepin' on.

So I don't think it's too far off when Canadians become experts in Sino-podiatric duo-vermillion massage.

Michael

Canadians on this board unite!!!!!!!!!!

How many of us are there ????

Roll call please