2019 Dem Primary Watch

Here's a catch-all thread for Dem primary comments. We need a thread like this because over 20 candidates is hard to follow.

So here's the first item--the important Dem Primary news of today.

New Age Guru Marianne Williamson is in the debates.

Author Marianne Williamson Qualifies For Presidential Debate Through Donor Requirement Before 9 Politicians

Ohhhmmmmmmmmm...

:) 

Michael

Rush Limbaugh has an interesting take on why Bernie is unraveling.

Crazy Bernie Struggles to Adapt

Rush's theory is that Bernie drew monster crowds before because he was running against the Obama economy, which had relegated Millennials to their parents basements with small chances of employment. This was even more bitter for them because of the student loan burden and all Obama could say is that we have to accept the new reality, many jobs are not coming back. Along came Bernie saying no problem, he would give them all a lot of free shit and that didn't merely look like a solution, it looked like salvation.

Now Bernie is running against the Trump economy, which is booming, but is still using the same old message. The problem is hoards of Millennials now have good paying jobs and they don't have time to be activists for free shit, especially when they know they will get all they want if they keep working. So the crowds are a lot smaller and his poll numbers have tanked.

Very interesting theory.

Michael

Although the title and starting topic of the video below do not concern Dem primary candidates, Rudy Giuliani explains the the Joe Biden/Ukraine situation (including the mess with Biden's son Hunter) with such layperson clarity, I think it's good to have it here.

This Ukraine thing, along with something similar in China, will dog Biden as time goes on.

And since, as Rudy says, top investigators are looking into this, it will not just be a PR issue. Imagine Biden in the middle of a presidential campaign and his son Hunter indicted for a crime involving the Ukraine. Not just investigated, but indicted. From everything I've read, it looks like they already have the goods to do this. The only thing stopping them is of a political nature, not a law enforcement nature.

Michael

Butt, he's not missing a tooth. It may be the angle but doesn't he look as dumb as the cartoon guy? Is Mad Magazine still around? I remember bringing it to class when I was in the 6th grade and getting in trouble. I am waiting for the left to REALLY go after Lazy Joe. To them he is almost as bad as a moderate republican. 

Robert Tracinski just posted an article called "The Green Leap Forward." Notifications from him flash on my screen even when I am typing here. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is just the sort of can-do-ism that will excite the Democrat base! Genius moves being made in Oregon ...

“A standoff between Republican and Democratic Oregon state senators escalated on Friday after Governor Kate Brown (D) authorized state police to track down Republican lawmakers who have stalled a vote on carbon credit legislation by walking out and refusing to vote.”

While Oregon Democrats have a rare 18 to 12 supermajority in the House and Senate, they cannot approve the bill without at least two Republicans present. After several days of heated debate between the two sides, eleven GOP members mutually agreed to boycott the vote”

"The Senate Democrats have requested the assistance of the Oregon State Police to bring back their colleagues to finish the work they committed to push forward," Brown said on Thursday, adding "As the executive of the agency, I am authorizing the State Police to fulfill the Senate Democrats’ request."

(Of note, Oregon House Democrats once fled the capitol in 2001 for five days over a redistricting proposal - which Brown said at the time was "appropriate under the circumstances.)

Sen. Brian Boquist (R) didn't take too kindly to Brown's threat - telling a reporter he was prepared for a bloody standoff if state troopers show up for him. Boquist had previously told Brown that "hell is coming to visit you personally" if she went forward with the threat. 

"Send bachelors, and come heavily armed; I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon, it’s just that simple," 

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-21/come-heavily-armed-oregon-senator-threatens-violence-governor-hunts-down-lawmakers

Mayor Pete Buttigieg is probably toast.

I'm posting the link from Rush Limbaugh, but it's all over the news.

Mayor Pete Didn’t Look Good Over the Weekend

Here's what happened. A white officer shot and killed a black man in Mayor Pete's little town of South Bend, Indiana, and now many people are calling him racist, especially since he took so many black employees off the police force.

And he looked like a useless confused dork trying to respond to face-to-face outrage from South Bend citizens. There are videos all over the Interwebs. Here is just one:

The comments going around are that he cannot govern a small town competently, so how on earth could he govern the US?

Maybe he can recover, but in a crowded field like the current one, I don't believe this is likely.

Michael

The first primary debate happened last night. There were 10 candidates. The second will happen tonight with 10 more.

Here's the full debate for anyone interested. Skip to 2:02:06 for the beginning

A few reactions.

By certain markers, Tulsi Gabbard seems to have won the night.

There's Google Trends for searches. Drudge posted this jpg, apparently from the PBS Twitter account:

D-CbFwrU4AIqCpY.jpg

Mike Cernovich commented.

Drudge even ran a reader poll and Tulsi won:

First poll has Tulsi Gabbard as the shock winner of the first Democratic debate and Beto O'Rourke as the clear loser
Drudge Report poll shows Democratic congresswoman from Hawaii winning the debate 

President Trump weighed in on the debate, too:

Michael

The sage of forest mountain valley checks a box or two; Styxhexenhammer666 on the awful outcome of the game-show-ish encounters in Miami between The Final Eleventeen:

"With the first debate remember I analyzed it from others reactions, not from my own viewership.With this one I figured I would do kind of both. My takeaway is that the two people that walk away from this with a significant benefit are Kamala Harris and Pete but a geek whose last name I know I'm mispronouncing but I'm gonna keep doing it on purpose."

BOOT-edge-edge.  Styx also pronounces Mueller as Myooler.  Disaster!

[Cross-link to "Friends and Foes" story/links on the lady who rose above the rest of the contestants]

[Added:  Ali Alexander whoopup about "She Ain't Black, Bitches."]

Kamala Harris is *not* an American Black. She is half Indian and half Jamaican. 

I'm so sick of people robbing American Blacks (like myself) of our history. It's disgusting. Now using it for debate time at #DemDebate2? 

These are my people not her people.

Freaking disgusting.

... which led to Will Sommer and Kelly Weill's piece in the Daily Beast: Kamala Harris Is Surging and Birtherism Is Back ...

... under the hood:

Spoiler

aliAkhbar_On_Harris_Blackness_02.png

aliAkhbar_On_Harris_Blackness_01.png

aliAkhbar_On_Harris_Blackness_03.png

kamala_fraud_Tweet.png

Click and go to see the AOL story that got up Ernie's ass.

There's something about Marianne...

Can she pull it off? Will love conquer all?

Some headlines after the debate.

Who is Marianne Williamson? Five things to know about the debate’s biggest mystery

Here are the five without the commentary:

1. She’s a New York Times bestselling author
2. She has run for office before
3. She’s an established AIDS activist
4. She lectures alongside famous friends
5. She has a hefty following on social media

Tessa Stuart at Rolling Stone weighed in, kinda tongue-in-cheek, but also with a wary tone of not-so-fast, this shit might be serious, instead of the usual snarky condescension the left brings to outsiders, and spiritual people at that.

Marianne Williamson Is the Cosmic Sorceress We Need Now
Kamala Harris may have taken down Joe Biden, but there was only one true winner of Thursday night’s debate

The second Democratic primary debate has come and gone and, unlike the first round, it was not a split-decision. There was a clear winner on Thursday night and I think we can all agree who it was: Marianne Williamson. It wasn’t just you or me who fell under the spell of the witchy moon-dancing, conventional-medicine-doubting, psychic warrior, and Avatar superfan. Williamson was the most Googled candidate during Thursday’s debates — more Googled even than Kamala Harris. 

For those who were not familiar with Ms. Williamson before last night, here’s what you need to know: she has the accent of 1940s silver screen starlet, loathes plans, and has made a career “harnessing the inspiration, and the motivation and the excitement of people — masses of people.” (You know what you need to win elections? Masses of excited, motivated, inspired people.)

The Rolling Stone article also included Marianne's powerful debated statement, maximizing the small amount of time she had:

“Donald Trump is not going to be beaten just by insider politics talk. He’s not going to be beaten just somebody who has plans. He’s going to be beaten by somebody who has an idea what this man has done. This man has reached into the psyche of the American people and he has harnessed fear for political purposes. So, Mr. President, if you’re listening, I want you to hear me, please. You have harnessed fear for political purposes and only love can cast that out. So I, sir, I have a feeling you know what you’re doing. I’m going to harness love for political purposes. I will meet you on that field. And, sir, love will win.”

Some people might think the logic is off, but this is now a soundbite traveling the Internet and the mainstream news--and not in mockery. 

Mary McNamara at The Los Angeles Times was equally cautious and even called out the snobbery and snark (while dishing it on, of course... ah these press elitists... they just can't help themselves... :) )

Ignore Marianne Williamson at your peril

Though born in Houston, Williamson has one of those vaguely Continental, dinner-theater accents and, after years on the lecture circuit, an air of easy confidence that often seemed at odds with the abrupt strangeness of what she was saying.

Which on Thursday night included her insistence that a detailed healthcare plan is less important than a good slogan, that her first presidential call would be to tell New Zealand’s prime minister, “Girlfriend, you are so on,” and that she will meet, and defeat, Donald Trump on the field of battle by harnessing the power of love.

All of which made it easy to snicker, and many did, with all sorts of jokes about essential oils, astral planes and recently ingested edibles. (Those publications that described her as the least-known of the candidates need to check their pop cultural snobbery; Williamson has much higher name recognition than most of the people on that stage.)

The thing is, though, as jarring and tangential as her comments might have been, she was not wrong.

The healthcare “plans” offered by many of the 10 candidates are so complicated to explain, especially during the truncated time that debates offer, that the term “single payer” quickly became groan-worthy. New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern would be a great person to call because she is a rock star; after the horrific Christchurch shootings earlier this year, she made a powerful statement that such actions “have absolutely no place in New Zealand and, in fact, have no place in the world.” Then she put her money where her mouth is by enacting stricter gun control and expressed bewilderment over why the U.S. has not done the same.

As for fighting Trump with love, well, many people have criticized the president for leveraging hate of all kinds, and how many “Love trumps hate” signs have you seen since the 2016 election?

. . .

... maybe it was simply the fact that she alone did not seem stressed. While virtually every other candidate vibrated with anxiety — Kirsten Gillibrand kept interrupting everyone, Bernie Sanders waved his hands in the air so often and so violently he almost clipped Joe Biden, and Eric “Pass the Torch” Swalwell tried to grab the spotlight by attacking older candidates for their age — Williamson just hung out on one end of the stage, calmly waiting for an opportunity to remind everyone that legislative details are not necessarily as arresting as rediscovering our moral center and collective energy.

. . .

It’s pretty clear America is in the midst of an identity crisis with deep moral if not spiritual divisions. Inundated with information, opinion, revelation and all the whipsaw spin that goes with it, it’s tough to argue against anything that might help, including a good aura cleansing or chakra realignment.

. . .

In many ways, Williamson is the left’s answer to Trump — an outlier candidate who celebrates her lack of political acumen with the language of popular culture and believes, at some level, that feelings are the same as facts. Like Trump, she is a crowd-pleaser who sees smoke and mirrors as tools of the trade rather than methods of deception.

Which means we should pay attention to what she is actually saying and who it connects with.

Snickering is fun, but as the 2016 election proved, we do it at our own peril.

Have no fear, the cheaters are here. It seems like the Democratic Party can't win elections without trying to cheat as a fundamental part of their campaign playbook. And they always start with their own. From Heavy:

Marianne Williamson Says Her Mic Was Muted in the Debate Too, Just Like Andrew Yang

Marianne Williamson, a Democratic candidate for President, has said that her mic was muted at times during the Democratic debate on Thursday too. Andrew Yang became a trend on Twitter after he said that his mic was muted during the debate and supporters found a video that might back up his claim. NBC, meanwhile, has said that they didn’t mute any mics during the debate. Now Williamson is corroborating Yang’s statement, saying the same thing happened to her. The debate was hosted by MSNBC, NBC, and Telemundo.

. . .

Heavy reported extensively on Yang’s mic issue and other times that he’s been left out of MSNBC coverage in a story here. Now Williamson is saying the same thing happened to her.

She said in response to a tweet asking her about the mic issue: “As much fun as I’ve had laughing at all the understandable hilarious tweets about me today, the mic issue is not funny and yes it did happen. I tried a couple of times to jump in and my mic was not on. Particularly wanted in on the subject of race.”

. . .

Before the debates this week, when MSNBC had a graphic showing the “Showdown in the South” that was coming to Miami, they left both Yang and Williamson off the original graphic, and instead included candidates who weren’t qualified for the debates.

. . .

After a lot of complaints online, MSNBC fixed the graphic and added Yang and Williamson.

Lo and behold, Marianne has crossed party lines. From Ledyard King at USA Today.

Republicans start donating to Marianne Williamson to keep her in future Democratic debates

How cool is that?

I should include my favorite comment of all. It was not an article, but a tweet (and yes, please, listen to the video):

Once again, how cool is that?

Michael

Paid for by the Kamala Banana-rama campaign bubble. Hello, I am Kamala Harris and I am running for President. I deserve the job because I am a proud tannish looking, black woman.  We did the right thing with Barack and we did the right thing by nominating Hillary. But now it is my time. Do the right thing for me.

We need new societal growth. We need a woman President. America needs another progressive person of color. I want to coin a new, much needed phrase.  American needs Negrowth. Negrowth!!  America needs Negrowth! 

Biography. Kamala Harris is married to a white looking guy.  Since becoming a Senator from Californication, she has supported single payer healthcare, federal laws to decriminalize pot, protection for undocumented immigrants, making America a sanctuary country like she worked to make California a bankrupt safe state, “The Dreamer Act,” and lowering tax rates for the working and middle classes while raising taxes on corporations and the wealthy. She is for the puppies. For The Children. For Illegals. For Free Lunch.  And she is against wealthy white men. Well she also hates rich women of any color too. Okay, okay. Like Bernie and the rest of the field she hates anyone with more than she has.

It’s near 6 pm here so Harris must have barfed what’s below a couple of hours ago. Oh, and it is below. I now christen Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), “Kamala Heimlich Maneuver.” As young Jake Harper on “Two and a Half Men” used to say, “She’s a bee-itch.” Peter   

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) called President Trump "a predator" at a campaign event in Iowa, delivering one of her sharpest attacks on the man she seeks to defeat in 2020. I know predators and we have a predator living in the White House," Harris said to applause during a picnic in West Des Moines. "Donald Trump has predatory nature and predatory instincts," she continued. "The thing about predators is that they prey on the vulnerable. They prey on those who they do not believe are strong. The thing about predators you must importantly know [is] predators are cowards."

From CNNN. Iran’s most powerful missile the Iranian Guard’s Kamala Harris Special is surging in the polls. She did the math for national audiences. “22 minus 20 equals 3? No wait. It’s 2. I think,” she is reported as saying. What a smart cookie, says this reporter. She’s only 2 points behind Sleepy Joe’s 22 percent. Gunna fly now!   

19 hours ago, Peter said:

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) called President Trump "a predator" at a campaign event in Iowa, delivering one of her sharpest attacks on the man she seeks to defeat in 2020.

Harris calls Trump 'a predator' at Iowa campaign stop

Climate_of_Kamala_2.gif

Spoiler

On 7/3/2019 at 2:54 PM, Peter said:

It’s near 6 pm here so Harris must have barfed what’s below a couple of hours ago. Oh, and it is below. I now christen Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), “Kamala Heimlich Maneuver.” As young Jake Harper on “Two and a Half Men” used to say, “She’s a bee-itch.” Peter   

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) called President Trump "a predator" at a campaign event in Iowa, delivering one of her sharpest attacks on the man she seeks to defeat in 2020. I know predators and we have a predator living in the White House," Harris said to applause during a picnic in West Des Moines. "Donald Trump has predatory nature and predatory instincts," she continued. "The thing about predators is that they prey on the vulnerable. They prey on those who they do not believe are strong. The thing about predators you must importantly know [is] predators are cowards."

She knows shit about predators.

--Brant

been there, done that, smack, smack, smack

if humans weren't predators, we'd have eyes on the sides of our heads

• Like 2