Aristotle's wheel paradox

merjet

13 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

What's weird is that Merin didn't used to seem to be retarded. He seemed like a fairly intelligent dude. Now he's a fricken stubborn idiot. I've been critical of a lot of Objectivish-types for what I call their "visual incompetence," which is pretty common among O-types, but I've never seen anything at this level. Merlin is the king retard of Objectivish visual incompetence.

I think stubborn idiot is closer than visual incompetence.

What I see is someone desperate to preserve an image of being the smartest one in the room who really, really doesn't appreciate being shown to be far from that and hates whoever is the author of such showing. He's interested in his appearance of intellectual authority, not in learning or working with another to refine his hold on truth.

Merlin in his post titled "Resolving the Paradox" - here:

[MJ]  "The circular paths are not part of the rolling experiment and make a 'red herring.'"

The circular paths by comparison to the straight paths are the essence of the supposed paradox.

As Jonathan says here:

[J]   "The entire point of the 'paradox' involves the relationship of the small circle to the upper line."

Ellen

6 hours ago, merjet said:

The length of curve #2 minus the length of curve #3 could be regarded as how much the inner circle "slips" during one revolution. So could the length of #1 minus the length of #2.

image.png

Wrong.

And since the source is your only method of judging truth, here is Baal on Sept 14 saying what he means by slip and how to measure how much of it the inner "wheel" performs in one revolution:

"n a physical instantiation of that scheme the inner wheel slip.  It has the same center as the outer wheel and is carried forward on outer circumference per revolution of the outer wheel.  The inner wheel is rigidly affixed to the outer wheel.  since it has a smaller radius its circumference is less than the circumference of the outer wheel so it slip on its rail by a distance equal to the difference of the circumferences."

On 10/6/2017 at 9:25 AM, merjet said:

image.png

Did ya'all notice that Merloon "improved" the drawing above? Heh. He got rid of the straight lines that Jon criticized, and then apparently hired a caffeined up, meth-addicted chimp to redraw them as curves.

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Did ya'all notice that Merloon "improved" the drawing above? Heh. He got rid of the straight lines that Jon criticized, and then apparently hired a caffeined up, meth-addicted chimp to redraw them as curves.

At least i am not a lying scam artist like you.

I'd like to see the math that describes Merloon''s imbecile chimp scribbling of the curtate cycloid..

What would the wheel have to look like to create that mess of a curtate cycloid? Can Merloon the math genius solve such a problem? I'm guessing not, since it's unique and not famous, and therefore others' solutions aren't available online to borrow or steal.

Could others here demonstrate, either mathematically or non-mathematically, which specific defects the wheel would have to have?

8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I'd like to see the math that describes Merloon''s imbecile chimp scribbling of the curtate cycloid..

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CurtateCycloid.html

5 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Um, did you see the curtate cycloid that Merloon tried to draw?

What you wrote:

14 hours ago, Jonathan said:

What would the wheel have to look like to create that mess of a curtate cycloid? Can Merloon the math genius solve such a problem? I'm guessing not, since it's unique and not famous, and therefore others' solutions aren't available online to borrow or steal.

Could others here demonstrate, either mathematically or non-mathematically, which specific defects the wheel would have to have?

What Bob read:

14 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I'd like to see the math that describes --------- -------- ----- ---------- -- the curtate cycloid..

Ellen

On 9/11/2017 at 6:23 PM, merjet said:

Can you resolve this paradox?  

It may help to imagine a point at the 6:00 o'clock position on each circle and then rolling the wheel one revolution. 

I will give my solution later.

You resolve it by observing there is no paradox. All solutions therefore are tautological brain games.

--Brant

math ahoy!--steer clear!

16 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Um, did you see the curtate cycloid that Merloon tried to draw?

No.  You asked for a curtate cycloid drawing and I provided one.

12 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

No.  You asked for a curtate cycloid drawing and I provided one.

No, I didn't.

I stated that I'd like to see the math that describes the really bad drawing that Merlin created -- his retarded attempt at creating a curtate cycloid.

Here's what I wrote:

"I'd like to see the math that describes Merloon's imbecile chimp scribbling of the curtate cycloid."

My post is still there, up above, unedited. Check it out for yourself. It's also still quoted in your response post.

See, I wasn't asking for the math in regard to just any curtate cycloid, but in regard to Merlin's jagged, failed attempt at creating one.

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

No, I didn't.

I stated that I'd like to see the math that describes the really bad drawing that Merlin created -- his retarded attempt at creating a curtate cycloid.

Here's what I wrote:

"I'd like to see the math that describes Merloon's imbecile chimp scribbling of the curtate cycloid."

My post is still there, up above, unedited. Check it out for yourself. It's also still quoted in your response post.

See, I wasn't asking for the math in regard to just any curtate cycloid, but in regard to Merlin's jagged, failed attempt at creating one.

This has the math and the drawings.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cycloid.html

35 minutes ago, BaalChatzaf said:

No, it doesn't. You're not getting it.

I've been referring to the specific drawing that Merlin created. See, the point is that his drawing is fucked up. His attempt at a curtate cycloid has lumps in it. It's mangled and retarded. A wheel would have to be something other than a circle to create such a mess. It would have to have defects, just like Merlin's brain!

The math that you posted applies to circles, and they create smooth cycloids. Merlin's drawing is a jaggy mess, and therefore a wheel which could create it would need to be something other than a circle, and it would need different math to describe it. Understand now?

Can you demonstrate, either mathematically or non-mathematically, which specific defects the wheel would have to have in order to create the specific path that Merlin made while failing at drawing a curtate cycloid?

1 hour ago, BaalChatzaf said:

Wow. Jonathan made the momentous discovery that I can't draw a perfect cycloid with a mouse. (Whoop-de-do. I can't read Chinese either.) I suggest the retard ask for a star on his kindergarten report card. After all, it is Toiletathan's best effort on this thread so far. His efforts consist of nitpicking, lies, ridicule, braying, name-calling, and no substance. He's all bark, no bite, no teeth. On second thought, that might be dull second-hand false teeth.  :D

Baal, apparently you don't understand Jonathan. All evidence here indicates that his sole purpose in life is to try to ridicule other people. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Uh oh! Square wheels rolling on catenaries:

It's another "paradox."

What a stupid idiot. There is no catenary in that video. "The curve a hanging flexible wire or chain assumes when supported at its ends and acted upon by a uniform gravitational force" (link).  :D  :lol:

The idiot imagines he sees a non-existent hanging chain or cable, just like he imagines seeing an inner circle non-existently slipping.

Here is a catenary. 

8 minutes ago, merjet said:

Wow. Jonathan made the momentous discovery that I can't draw a perfect cycloid with a mouse. (Whoop-de-do. I can't read Chinese either.) I suggest the retard ask for a star on his kindergarten report card.

It really is kindergarten-level stuff, yet you don't get it, and you can't draw at a kindergarten level.

His efforts consist of nitpicking, lies, ridicule, braying, name-calling, and no substance. He's all bark, no bite, no teeth. On second thought, that might be dull second-hand false teeth.

Baal, apparently you don't understand Jonathan. All evidence here indicates that his sole purpose in life is to ridicule other people.

What have I lied about? You've been calling me a liar and a "scam artist." What scam do you think that I'm running? Specifically, what part of my explanation of the non-existence of a paradox do you think is a "scam"?