Donald Trump

8 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Objectivish people don’t talk like that, “people here, most of them, think like me! You’re in the minority!”

So fucking pathetic.

Didn't the character of Howard Roark rip on another character in The Fountainhead for tallying opinions? Wasn't he proud to be in the minority, especially when he was a minority of one?

KorbenDallas is sounding like he should be called KorbenKeating.

J

6 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Didn't the character of Howard Roark rip on another character in The Fountainhead for tallying opinions? Wasn't he proud to be in the minority, especially when he was a minority of one?

J

Yes, that’s exactly how KorbenKeating is sounding.

Ah, gee guys, can’t we all just get along?

Michael Stuart Kelly (The Duke of Earl) wrote: “Melania is a wonderful First Lady.”

But a spoil sport, (The Duke of Waterloo) answered: “Yes, she is. Too bad her husband is despicable and a narcissist.”

No. He is in no way despicable IMHO. Wrong sometimes and overbearing? Sure. I remember being in the Army and I despised being ordered around and yelled at. Perhaps if President Trump yells and orders people around they, the subordinates, might seethe and think, “What a despicable man,” but since I don’t belong to that insider group., I can ‘t call him despicable or duplicitous, or . . . anything bad. I enjoy what he says. I enjoy his Presidency. He’s funny and irreverent. He is on the right track most of the time but he is a hard taskmaster from all reports. So, I would need to be pretty vain myself to work for him.

Is he a narcissist? From Dictionary dot com: Narcissist [nahr-suh-sist] noun a person who is overly self-involved, and often vain and selfish. Psychoanalysis. a person who suffers from narcissism, deriving erotic gratification from admiration of his or her own physical or mental attributes. end quote

Hee, Beevis, Dick Dot said erotic. I can’t come to the *narcissistic* conclusion either. He is a wheeler dealer and a salesman. And again I would say the “overly self-involved,” “vain” and “selfish” designations don’t apply. He is The Prez. He is out there for all to see. He is “bigger than life,” but his persona is for the public. He isn’t acting like that to his family or friends. His family is proud of him. They beam when they are in a picture with him, which is quite frequently. And that is not faked. As John Wayne said, “We would pick up on any fake-y-ness, Mon Sewer.” But who was the ex who called him "The Donald?" She might of been peed off with him. Peter    

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Um, you think that I set up the game? Heh. Go back and read the history of our brief exchange.

Got it now? M-kay. Now ask yourself the same questions that you just asked me.

Ah! It's starting to sink in, isn't it?

J

LOL you apparently don't understand what I was asking you.

17 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

J

Oh no, I'm KorbenKeating!  Jonathan, for ripping Objectivists as you do I find it hilarious you're trying to cut me down by comparing me to a character in a fiction book.

And for the record, after I stopped listening to the Trump Worship going on on this website, I independently looked at Trump and came to a judgment of him.  He's a narcissist, doesn't use reason, and uses power, manipulation, and control tactics to succeed in life.

Odd. I thought I had cut and pasted The Hill article to this thread.

I typed in ‘What is Trump-ism,” and got this negativity from The Hill. Peter

1. Celebrity. Whether movie stars running for office or candidates appearing on late-night talk shows, celebrity has long played a role in American presidential politics. But, celebrity has empowered Trumpism in two unique ways. First, unlike other politicians that seek to frame or reframe their image through positive media coverage during a campaign, Trump’s celebrity persona as a CEO and tough decision-maker was already cemented and well-suited to his desired political image. With this tremendous advantage over his rivals, and despite his many blunders on the campaign trail, this image has endured even under withering criticism that would destroy any other candidate. Second, the celebrity character of Trumpism appeals to citizens that would otherwise be disengaged from politics, with Trump serving as a placeholder for their unsatisfied wants and dreams. The ability to translate the cultural capital of celebrity into political capital seems also to mean that one-time spectators can be similarly transformed into motivated voters.

2. Nativism. Trumpism is also defined by nativism. This movement reaches back to the mid-19th century Know-Nothing agitation and short-lived American Party that combined anti-immigrant sentiment with conspiracy theories about foreigners. Following in the same tradition, Trumpism first emerged as part of the birther movement. While already debunked in the mainstream, Trump’s 2011 public and calculated demand that the President release his full birth certificate, kept him in the media spotlight for well over a year and greatly helped him to develop an initial base of support. Notably, in the late summer of last year, Public Policy Polling released a national survey that showed 61 percent of Trump supporters still identify as birthers.

Under the triumphalist banner “Make America Great Again,” this same conspiratorial fear of foreigners explains the broad approval for Trump’s impractical pledges to build a wall along the Mexican border and deport all illegal immigrants as well as his unworkable plan to ban all Muslim immigration.    

3. The Outsider. Normally, anti-establishment politicians must convince political supporters that they stand in opposition to the entrenched power structure. Ronald Reagan did this very well during his first campaign for Governor of California in 1967. “I am not a politician,” he was fond of saying. “I am an ordinary citizen with a deep-seated belief that much of what troubles us has been brought about by politicians; and it’s high time that more ordinary citizens brought the fresh air of common-sense thinking to bear on these problems.” But, Trumpism finds strength from the unusual position of the insider-outsider. Trump, the archetypal billionaire insider, often brags that he has turned down millions of dollars from lobbyists and calls his opponents “puppets” of big donors like the Koch Brothers. Even though he has never run for office, he is too rich and knows the establishment too well to have to curry favour from elites, including the leaders of the Republican Party.  

4. Populism. Trumpism appeals to a large group of anti-intellectual, conspiracy minded and alienated malcontents, the same type of voter that backed third party Presidential candidates Ross Perot and George Wallace as well as Senator Joseph McCarthy. It embodies a particular kind of American populism composed of a mish-mash of overt patriotism, economic nationalism, along with a vague commitment to the middle class and an aggressive but indefinite foreign policy.

URL patrol ...

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

I typed in ‘What is Trump-ism,” and got this negativity from The Hill. Peter

The four characteristics of Trumpism
BY David Edward Tabachnick, Ph.D. — 01/05/16 03:00 PM EST

4 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

URL patrol ...

It's easier just to cut and paste what I think others might find of interest, and to sometimes edit or highlight portions. If you go to sites there is also a chance of getting the computer flu. My way is like cutting down and harvesting the corn. Your way is like getting bit by a mosquito. So there.   

9 minutes ago, Peter said:
17 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

URL patrol ...

It's easier just to cut and paste what I think others might find of interest, and to sometimes edit or highlight portions.

"Why is it good practice to include a URL corresponding to the  portions?"

If you go to sites there is also a chance of getting the computer flu.

I'd say 95% of folks here use virus/security software and/or malware detection, so the choice to 'click' is theirs -- it's not like the URL will leap off the page and strangle another person's browser to death.  TheHill.com has a clean bill of health returned by you.  So, don't be afraid of URLs on our behalf, please. 

There is a link in the previous sentence. Are you brave enough to click it, soldier?

My way is like cutting down and harvesting the corn. Your way is like getting bit by a mosquito. So there.   

"Your way" is to avoid posting a direct link to the offsite material you highlight. Corn-mosquito half-simile notwithstanding.

Edited by william.scherk

5 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

"Why is it good practice to include a URL corresponding to the  portions?"

I'd say 95% of folks here use virus/security software and/or malware detection, so the choice to 'click' is theirs -- it's not like the URL will leap off the page and strangle another person's browser to death.  TheHill.com has a clean bill of health returned by you.  So, don't be afraid of URLs on our behalf, please. 

There is a link in the previous sentence. Are you brave enough to click it, soldier?

"Your way" is to avoid posting a direct link to the offsite material you highlight. Corn-mosquito half-simile notwithstanding.

This year I had corn in front and to the side but it was harvested a few days ago. I let my cat Sparks out after the corn in front was harvested and she stopped in her tracks to stare. It was like her short legged world had expanded.

2 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

In 2015 all the smart, sophisticated people laughed at Trump, assured us he was an idiot.

In 2016 all the sensitive intellects were confident Trump could not win the nomination, then the Presidency.

In 2017 we were assured Trump  would be “taken out.”

Instead, he is slaying all his enemies, taming previous ones (Senator Graham being just one) is at most days away from his second Supreme confirmation and five weeks away from having the entire federal government at his beck and call.

Thats how you know Trump has intellect.

That’s all one needs know, to know he has intellect, assuming one has sufficient intellect oneself.

Who, in Nov 2018 would still assure us he’s an idiot?

Only an idiot.

Here here !!!!!! 

Only one thing though is that our own fearless leader MSK was the lone one on the planet publicly stating that Trump was real and on the verge of being President ! 

I know one idiot who called for Rubio as the next President 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marc said:

Or good gal #Ivanka2024

I had never considered that. So far no purty girls have been President. Is she in a league with Maggie Thatcher? I am open to a woman President. Has Canada ever elected a woman to the highest office in the land? The Dow is still down 200 points today. But I predict it will soon exceed 27,000. It's 26,626 at 4pm, Oct.4, 2018.