Donald Trump

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

Saint Trump. Saint Cruz.

[run for President]

Where did it all go wrong?

Trump.

Cruz.

--Brant

we want saints, we want saints, we want saints (or you're not good enough for the office [re Lincoln, Wilson, Roosevelt])

The Ancient Egyptians insisted on having God-Kings.  Not much has changed since.  Le plus ca change, le plus le meme chose

Michael wrote: Can anyone see Peter here? end quote

I assure you, everyone’s weewee was in their pants! Besides, we Martians can’t be photographed. It’s genetic or something. I don’t recognize any of the people other than the news guys I saw.

The local news followed Trump by helicopter for 20 miles. His party was in two silver SUV’s, not the predicted fifteen, with two county’s worth of sheriff’s deputies and motorcycle cops in front and behind his baby-cade.  He took the back road when he was close to Stephen Decatur through a primarily black neighborhood, past the turn off to the dump and came into the school through the back and avoided the small crowd of protesters, though he may have been able to just see a few on the curb.  Then it was typical Trump talk. The words, “Lying Ted” are back on the tip of his blasphemous tongue. I went and “early” voted for the great Senator from Texas, Ted Cruz. My daughters friend was invited up to be viewed by the camera, but he was kind of tongue tied and Trump poked fun of him, but in a good way. The gym was too small. The local news feed of Trump did get boring and coverage quit at 8pm and went to “Rosewood.”

Peter   

Michael wrote: The ruling class went too far this time and became totally discredited in the eyes of a typical Trump supporter . . . Trump supporters want them gone . . . . They believe him. They've seen what he can do. end quote

In that, Trump is mirroring The Tea Party though I wouldn’t credit any other factor than His Highness if he wins or loses. If his campaign style evolves and improves with practice and experience he will have an excellent chance of being President. As an aside, what if Ted Cruz had said, “liberal Manhattan values” instead of “New York Values?” Will Trump remain immune to a coordinated, media attack, when he makes the inevitable gaffs? I guess it depends upon what gaff means, and how he handles the criticism.

The Panama Papers mention two of Hillary’s, hide the graft, crony Capitalist buddies. And her Congressional and FBI woes are not resolved. If the investigations continue until October, perhaps the promise of impeachment after she runs will become a campaign issue. Tricky, Traitorous, Crooked Hillary will hopefully get jail time. What a wondrous world it would be if we hear the words, “Guilty as charged.”  

However, if elected, the assumption is that Trump will NOT become the new ruling class, he will fulfill his promises, and he will make America greater. Image wise he can’t become another Kennedy because he is mean, but he is in fine form to be another Teddy Roosevelt.

Peter

12 hours ago, Brant Gaede said:

If he's elected, Robert, it won't be one guy, not even in the Executive branch.

Brant,

Obviously not.

Are you sure anyone has broken that news to Donald Trump?

No need, anyhow, for a saint in the Oval Office.

But it would be good to get someone in there who has a reason for seeking that residency that makes sense to persons other than him- or herself—and that, when it does begin making sense to them, won't then send them running, as far away as they can get.

It would also be good to get someone in there who operates on a principle other than "There's a sucker born every minute."

Robert

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

The gym was too small.

Peter,

Here is one thing about the Trump campaign that is perfectly rational.

They purposely book spaces they anticipate will be too small, so it will be harder for protesters to get in.

Robert

5 hours ago, BaalChatzaf said:

The Ancient Egyptians insisted on having God-Kings.  Not much has changed since.  Le plus ca change, le plus le meme chose

I suspect it was the God-Kings who insisted on it so they wouldn't be fucked with. I know if I had been one of them I'd have insisted and if anyone objected he'd have been roasted alive in public. After a few of those I would (could?) go back to being my sweet, lovable self. ("Power corrupts . . . "--look at what it's done to me just thinking about it!)

--Brant

~snarl~

Egypt could control the Nile and be protected by desert for thousands of years. It worked until the Mediterranean was used against it upstaging the Nile.

Hence Egypt gave way to Rome (includes Constantinople) gave way to Great Britain gave way to the United States--"gave way" in the sense of the world's three great succeeding powers. (see Accidental Superpower--[the USA])

--Brant

20 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Egypt.

Under foreign rule, nearly all the time since 330 BC.

How's that God-king thing been workin' out for ya?

Not well.  But the public still conjures with that notion.  They want a Perfect President.  Along the lines of St. Delano  and St. Abraham. 

15 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Egypt could control the Nile and be protected by desert for thousands of years. It worked until the Mediterranean was used against it upstaging the Nile.

Hence Egypt gave way to Rome (includes Constantinople) gave way to Great Britain gave way to the United States--"gave way" in the sense of the world's three great succeeding powers. (see Accidental Superpower--[the USA])

--Brant

Egypt had already been under Assyrian rule once and Persian rule twice before Alexander the Great ended its autonomy.

The Romans were Julius-come-latelies.

Robert

55 minutes ago, Peter said:

Michael wrote: The ruling class went too far this time and became totally discredited in the eyes of a typical Trump supporter . . . Trump supporters want them gone . . . . They believe him. They've seen what he can do. end quote

In that, Trump is mirroring The Tea Party though I wouldn’t credit any other factor than His Highness if he wins or loses. If his campaign style evolves and improves with practice and experience he will have an excellent chance of being President. As an aside, what if Ted Cruz had said, “liberal Manhattan values” instead of “New York Values?” Will Trump remain immune to a coordinated, media attack, when he makes the inevitable gaffs? I guess it depends upon what gaff means, and how he handles the criticism.

The Panama Papers mention two of Hillary’s, hide the graft, crony Capitalist buddies. And her Congressional and FBI woes are not resolved. If the investigations continue until October, perhaps the promise of impeachment after she runs will become a campaign issue. Tricky, Traitorous, Crooked Hillary will hopefully get jail time. What a wondrous world it would be if we hear the words, “Guilty as charged.”  

However, if elected, the assumption is that Trump will NOT become the new ruling class, he will fulfill his promises, and he will make America greater. Image wise he can’t become another Kennedy because he is mean, but he is in fine form to be another Teddy Roosevelt.

Peter

Peter:

You seem thirsty.   Do you prefer grape or cherry Kool-Aid?  

I'm sure the handful of Trump supporters on this site have some left over...   :evil:

47 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Egypt had already been under Assyrian rule once and Persian rule twice before Alexander the Great ended its autonomy.

The Romans were Julius-come-latelies.

Robert

Yeah, so was Microsoft. Look at IBM today.

--Brant

counter-punches :evil:

42 minutes ago, tmj said:

I'll look around, don't think it all went in the harbor, man this make-up stings.

I still have a packet of grape. (Not a Trump supporter [it's a matter of self esteem])

PM me your address.

-- :evil:

On April 20, 2016 at 2:44 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

To avoid the collision and see America's sovereignty degraded, there needs to be a strong border with clear and functional immigration laws, a wall with the Mexican border, a drastic reduction in the national debt, large industries to stop leaving the USA, repatriation of gobs of money overseas, decisive military action against those who attack the USA, withdrawal from multi-nation trade agreements, and so on.

It's pretty simple, really...

Michael,

If that drastic debt reduction is meant to involve any spending reductions (drastic or otherwise), Captain Trump, bearing hard in whatever direction to avoid that iceberg, had better pay a little attention to Social Security, Medicare, replacements for Obamacare, and so on. 

CHIIiina! isn't going to start paying him tribute, in quantities sufficient to retire Federal debt.

And he might need to pay attention to public employee unions, at least at the Federal level.  You know, running up expenses, padding the payroll, failing to carry out Capain's orders, and all.

We still need to see the pig, Captain.

Robert

PS. If the media get in the way of the Captain's emergency orders, or say anything bad about the way he looks while giving orders on the bridge, must he—will he—go full Erdogan (I'm assuming you know what that means)?

On 4/18/2016 at 2:27 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Lighten up and stop the finger-wagging and you will start to see that the things you constantly accuse aren't there.

On April 20, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Don't forget the power of celebrity endorsements to move these numbers, too.

Michael,

You might be confusing this presidential race with some of Mr. Trump's previous sales campaigns.

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are both familiar figures to the American public.

Getting more attention has already brought her unfavorables up, sharply.

Getting more attention hasn't brought his down.

Although he can turn Hillary's complaints about sexism against her—already has, with some impact—I think you're grossly overvaluing Donald's inside-dirt operation.  DDDDT (Donald's Deniable Department of Dirty Tricks) seems to be about as well managed as his state convention operations.

Hillary's legal problems can't destroy her candidacy.   Unless she's actually indicted; her unfavorables are already way up and if the election were tomorrow, she'd still beat him easily, as we reckon that in the USA.  Or if she is not indicted, then a foreign government (it doesn't have to be too unfriendly) would have to announce that its agents have read every email from her server.  (Including all the ones she ordered erased: here are one or two, just to whet your appetites.)

There are a very few people who can make either of these things happen, and Donald Trump isn't one of them.

Robert

21 hours ago, PDS said:

I think the perfect bookend to Gingrich's statements in favor of Trump is the following article against Trump, with the money quote being  "[t]here’s a reason most Republicans and a vast majority of voters loathe Donald Trump: his vulgarity, his blistering ignorance, his constant dishonesty, his venality, and his utter lack of the knowledge, judgment, or temperament to be president of the United States. But of all his ugly characteristics, his endless stream of self-pity has become the most irritating feature of the most irritating candidate in modern political history."

That is the money quote.

It's from an article by Rick Wilson (known to Breitbart readers from a certain era as "Gollum"),

But one needn't hate everyone else that Gollum hates (he had to perform several extra gollum-gollums, to be even sort of nice to Ted Cruz) to get the point.

Robert

Should good etiquette prevail or are gender specific bathrooms a matter of trespass?  Do we need potty police? Should the border police do the job, Mr. Cruz or Trump? If a door says, “Men,” or “Women,” then only those physical genders should enter. I suppose the sign “Men OR Women” could be used on a door just as “Family” or “Changing Station” means children of either gender are acceptable inside. The potty police would need to adopt the slogan, “If you can’t tell if it is a person of another gender then they may enter.” Another solution is to only allow one person in at a time. Though without supervision there is no way to tell if five people are in the single toilet, like those old time, Guinness Record book, phone booth packers.  

Last year there was a creep at the local Walmart going into the women’s bathroom and taking pictures of them from under the stall’s walls. They nabbed him in the parking lot! If you have a wife or daughter you don’t want some man in the same bathroom peeing. So, if a man dresses as a woman to spy on them in the bathroom should he be arrested? Of course. Leave it up to the individual establishment if they wish to accommodate transgender people? That sounds like San Francisco values.

On the lighter side, I was at a dinner theatre’s men’s bathroom once when a lady came right in loudly saying, “Sorry guys, I can’t hold it,” and we laughed as she went into a stall and peed loud enough to be heard from 20 feet away. Aaaaah! And once at a McDonald’s near Broadway one woman planted herself in front of the men’s bathroom door and loudly proclaimed these woman have to go! There was a line 20 people long in front of the women’s bathroom and no men in the men’s. She was embarrassed but held her ground when the manager sent a counter boy to get her out of the way.

Men’s, Women’s, Family, and just a plain sign that says, Bathroom are worth considering, with perhaps signs directing you to the right location so a store is not required to build more bathrooms. Stores, restaurants and bars should have twice as many women’s bathrooms anyway, as a courtesy.   

Peter  

WSS,

A similar law is being promoted in South Carolina, where it appears to have a lot fewer chances of passing.

A county sheriff asked out loud what his officers would be required to do to enforce it, and how much effort this would divert from somewhat more important duties.

I'm not with Cruz on this one at all.  And when it's not a Federal responsibility, he's pandering.

On the other hand, the corporations that eagerly do business with Sa'udi Arabia but are threatening to boycott North Carolina don't seem to have their priorities settled either.

Interestingly, the media outlet that's now nearly all Trump when it isn't just wandering in circles (Breitbart) still agitates regularly on behalf of laws like the one in NC.

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

Getting more attention hasn't brought his down.

Robert,

Baloney.

When Trump started the campaign, he moved the unfavorables numbers down a couple of times. Maybe more because I don't follow these kinds of polls too much.

When Trump gets to the point where it matters in the general election, he will do it again. This isn't brain science for someone who knows how to do it. He knows what caused these numbers, both caused by him and caused by hostile media campaigns, and he knows how to fix them.

btw - But credibility-wise, if Trump's unfavorables with women are so bad, how come so many women voted for him?

Hmmmm?...

:evil: 

I would look for better sacred texts to base my Holy Crusade on than unfavorables polls.

:)

Michael

2 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

PS. If the media get in the way of the Captain's emergency orders, or say anything bad about the way he looks while giving orders on the bridge, must he—will he—go full Erdogan (I'm assuming you know what that means)?

Robert,

You keep talking about Erdogan and Trump as if they had something in common. They have nothing in common.

Trump has no history of using force against anyone for things they said against him.

None.

He just says things back and he does it well. But that is not force. Don't forget, Trump has had to deal with mafia types all his life in the trade unions. His refusal to use force against people who trash him isn't for lack of opportunity. It's by choice.

So whatever you are basing your "Trump the government censor" comparison on, it is not on known history.

Michael

When I was 16 Mom took me down to Stone Ave. here in Tucson to see John Kennedy (seeking delegates) go by in an open convertible.

If Trump were to do the same in two months, 56 years later, the car would have to be going backwards.

--Brant

then Mom sent me to live in New Jersey (nonsensical after-thought)