Donald Trump

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

1. Donald Trump is intentionally sabotaging his campaign. He does not really want to be president, but by some accident of fate, his campaign took off--he never expected to get this far--and he needs a face-saving out so he can go back to billionaire paradise.

2. That's why he's making a stink about the election process and delegate rules. His posture will make it so he will be able to storm out of the convention in righteous anger and no longer have to worry about the burden of becoming president.

3. Since he is a plant for Hillary Clinton and he really wanted to support her all along, now he can openly support her by claiming he got screwed by the Republicans.

Michael,

Heard it before, from a bunch of sources.  Beck has maybe embroidered a little bit on point number 3.

I don't believe a word of it.

Robert

Looks like Trump might get 90 NY delegates and Kasich 5.

The popular vote matters. Cruz doing so poorly with it makes him much weaker respecting a contested convention.

Everybody has a plan for stopping Trump--until they get hit in the face.

--Brant

On April 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Ted Cruz isn't the worst possible, he's still OK, but I'm not going to say much in his favor until after the elections. There's a reality thing called winning an election involved. The name of this section is called "Stumping in the Backyard" and I'm stumping for my guy. Only a person not interested in winning would keep praising his opposition to the skies.

I can say this for now. I used to have a far greater opinion of Ted Cruz before I saw him embrace dirty tricks--openly and blatantly--and then tell the public they are not dirty tricks, what me?, no you don't understand, technicality, technicality... yada yada yada. That's not a deal-breaker, but it sure as hell tarnished his image for me. I thought he had more integrity than that.

Ah, once again the imperative, not to stump, but to stomp. And to re-stomp. And... you get the pattern.

No one expects you to praise any of Trump's opponents to the skies.  A lot of their supporters don't actually praise them to the skies.   In any event, only Trump is magnificent enough to deserve such praise.  We've been getting that, loud and clear.

The fact remains that if Donald Trump's people had made every last one of the moves that, when practiced by Ted Cruz's people, you've excoriated as a dirty trick, you would have nothing to say, except how brilliant a strategist Donald Trump is, and how brilliantly he hires beings of slightly lesser brilliance to carry out his brilliant agenda.

Whether Donald Trump gets the nomination or not, he will hate Ted Cruz and Ted Cruz, I suspect, will hate him.  Cruz will then be far lower in your eyes, and in the eyes of other Trump supporters, than George H. W. Bush after he violated his promise.  I'm sure that if Scott Walker doesn't beg Trump's indulgence—he has said that he won't—he'll be about as low in your eyes as Cruz is already.

If Trump is the nominee, it will actually be very interesting to see who he will actually want for Vice-President—and who will actually be willing to run with him.  JFK and LBJ had a much higher opinion of each other than Trump and his running mate are likely to.

Robert

Robert wrote: If Trump is the nominee, it will actually be very interesting to see who he will actually want for Vice-President—and who will actually be willing to run with him.  end quote

Donald Trump on the phone: Good evening Senator. Have you noticed I always call you Senator Cruz now? Ted, I want you to be my Vice President. We will announce it before the convention whether I have 1237 delegates or not and begin our campaign against Crooked Hillary. What do you say?

Ted Cruz: It is a generous offer Mister Trump but with one big problem. Heidi does not want to have anything to do with you or your campaign. She was offended by your tactics. She calls you a bully, so I must decline.

Donald Trump: Why don’t we all meet and talk this over. Ah shoot Ted, in Forest Hills where I was raised we have Queen-sian rules about this type of situation. In public, I will let Heidi punch me in the bicep as hard as she wants.

Ted Cruz: Seriously? He laughs in the background as he tells Heidi of Trump’s playground solution. Heidi says you have to take your jacket off, Mr. Trump.

Donald:  Of course. And we will have four video cameras capture the event for the start of my campaign to win over the women voters. From now on, to each other, you are Ted and I am Donald.

Ted: Name the place and the time Mr. President.

Donald: Tomorrow at my hotel lobby. Then we will all have brunch. Say Ted? Do you think you could relearn Spanish if I hire you the world’s best tutor?

Ted: Sure. Not a problem. Uh, Heidi says she isn’t sure about this, so she will pull her punch. But it will still be symbolic. And the Secret Service needs to be in on the plan.

Donald: Whatever she wants to do is fine. 

2 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Really, where is Donald Trump's critique of the current power structure in New York (city and state)?

He just finished nearly two weeks of campaigning in a primary there.  How much attention did he give any of it in his speeches?

Where is his critique of the public employee unions, who bear considerable responsibility for the present condition of New York?  Does he ever talk about them at all?

Robert,

I don't get any of this.

You do understand that Trump is running an election campaign for federal office, not an academic debate, correct? In the rest of your post, you mentioned it.

So, can you tell me how doing all this talking would have gained him one vote?

You keep bringing this stuff up as if it were some kind of gotcha or something, but it doesn't contribute to a campaign strategy. It's like blaming a football player for using the wrong tennis racket or golf iron. It's the wrong game.

And for some reason, you keep treating Trump's feud with Scott Walker like a jealous lover. The Wisconsin primary election is over.

Anyway, Trump won New York big-time and Cruz even lost by double digits behind Kasich. That shuts down Cruz's "landslide" narrative in the media. Maybe not with him, but the public credibility of that narrative is now blown to shreds. 

Trump wins his landslides with votes, not by manipulating delegate rules. When Cruz tries for votes, he comes in third. That's going to be the new media narrative for at least a week.

And, last I heard, one needs votes to beat Hillary, not delegate manipulations. You can be sure I am not the only one saying that.

Michael

2 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Whether Donald Trump gets the nomination or not, he will hate Ted Cruz and Ted Cruz, I suspect, will hate him.  Cruz will then be far lower in your eyes, and in the eyes of other Trump supporters, than George H. W. Bush after he violated his promise.

Robert,

I am not a betting man, but if I were, I would put a thick chunk of change against all of this. And I would win.

I can maybe see Cruz hating Trump (although I really doubt it), but not the reverse. Underneath, Trump likes Cruz. As for me hating Cruz, nah... If I don't hate him now, why would I hate him after he loses the election? :evil:

Or even if he pulls off a miracle and wins the nomination? I already said if that happens, I will vote for him. Do you need me to keep saying that to believe it?

I'm still aware of Cruz's small-government position. I appreciate that. I just think he's more of an establishment politician that leans conservative right than a true outsider with integrity. I used to believe this last, but not after seeing the dirty tricks he sanctions and uses. It's a character thing, not a stated policy thing. 

Frankly, Cruz will be very useful in the Senate to help enact laws under Trump's leadership.

Michael

3 hours ago, turkeyfoot said:

I dont know how you do it Michael. You recognize his unpopularity and that he stands a remarkable possibility of losing but you will not give up. Man, talk about sticking with a losing team

Geoff,

Do you time travel?

:)

Are you certain Trump's negatives will continue the same or get worse after he wins the nomination?

I am 100% certain his negatives will drop like a boulder off a cliff. (You see, I do time travel. :) )

Michael

3 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

What does the impending collision permit (require?) Captain Trump to ignore?

For instance, if the media don't get with his program, does the impending collision permit (require?) him to go full Erdogan?

Robert,

To avoid the collision and see America's sovereignty degraded, there needs to be a strong border with clear and functional immigration laws, a wall with the Mexican border, a drastic reduction in the national debt, large industries to stop leaving the USA, repatriation of gobs of money overseas, decisive military action against those who attack the USA, withdrawal from multi-nation trade agreements, and so on.

It's pretty simple, really...

Michael

Cruz doesn't seem to have the political personality needed to beat Clinton if he gets nominated.

Presidential "debates" have never been debates, only speakfests.

Trump vs. Clinton--I can't bear to listen.

Evil vs. ignorance.

The big post-election fight will be by Bill and Hillary over whether the interns should be male or female.

--Brant

10 hours ago, Peter said:

Robert wrote: If Trump is the nominee, it will actually be very interesting to see who he will actually want for Vice-President—and who will actually be willing to run with him.  end quote

Donald Trump on the phone: Good evening Senator. Have you noticed I always call you Senator Cruz now? Ted, I want you to be my Vice President. We will announce it before the convention whether I have 1237 delegates or not and begin our campaign against Crooked Hillary. What do you say?

Ted Cruz: It is a generous offer Mister Trump but with one big problem. Heidi does not want to have anything to do with you or your campaign. She was offended by your tactics. She calls you a bully, so I must decline.

Donald Trump: Why don’t we all meet and talk this over. Ah shoot Ted, in Forest Hills where I was raised we have Queen-sian rules about this type of situation. In public, I will let Heidi punch me in the bicep as hard as she wants.

Ted Cruz: Seriously? He laughs in the background as he tells Heidi of Trump’s playground solution. Heidi says you have to take your jacket off, Mr. Trump.

Donald:  Of course. And we will have four video cameras capture the event for the start of my campaign to win over the women voters. From now on, to each other, you are Ted and I am Donald.

Ted: Name the place and the time Mr. President.

Donald: Tomorrow at my hotel lobby. Then we will all have brunch. Say Ted? Do you think you could relearn Spanish if I hire you the world’s best tutor?

Ted: Sure. Not a problem. Uh, Heidi says she isn’t sure about this, so she will pull her punch. But it will still be symbolic. And the Secret Service needs to be in on the plan.

Donald: Whatever she wants to do is fine. 

An interesting possible dialogue.  

I predicted this general dialogue, and wonder if the "Heidi" factor would keep Cruz from accepting a VP role.   But, if you think the country is going to hell and you have unique skills and abilities to prevent that from happening (i.e., you're Ted Cruz), why would you let a petty issue like your wife being insulted get in the way of such things?   Besides, Trump is going to be 70ish were he ever to get elected, so Cruz could conceivably be the Teddy to Trump's McKinley.

In other words, I stand by my prediction:    Trump/Cruz get their asses kicked hard by Hillary/it-doesn't-matter.  

8 minutes ago, PDS said:

I stand by my prediction:    Trump/Cruz get their asses kicked hard by Hillary/it-doesn't-matter.  

I think that's how it's going to end up, too. Except it will be just the beginning of the end...

REB 

Once again I see more moronic stories in Realclear about a “wronged Trump” forming a third party or dropping out. I actually gave this some weight over a year ago, because of Trump’s ties to the Clintons, but now that is ludicrous. Trump is IN until the WIN.

PDS wrote: Besides, Trump is going to be 70ish were he ever to get elected, so Cruz could conceivably be the Teddy to Trump's McKinley. In other words, I stand by my prediction: Trump/Cruz get their asses kicked hard by Hillary/it-doesn't-matter. end quote

A Trump Cruz matchup is a good one though a Trump – Kasich is also good. Hillary is barely younger than Trump and I see a sputtering implosion on her part due to personality and circumstances. Trump will get in her face and hammer it with his ridicule, emotion and reason. Trump’s and Clinton’s albatross around their necks is their unfavorable's. But, the Trump campaign is on fire. Trump is getting a lot better. 

New York State’s Siena poll in March: Clinton 57 Trump 34 so that only leaves nine percent undecided and Clinton with a really, really huge 23 percent winning margin. As Trump has said, if you can’t win your home state you are a loser. What in the hell can Trump do in his own, beloved New York, when Bernie just got more votes than him? Nationally as of April 14th the Realclearpolitics average has Clinton beating Trump by 9.3 percent. On the bright side? Of course no one EVER expected New York to be a battle ground state.

Peter

From my mailbox:   - April 19th, 2016 -

NEW YORK, I LOVE YOU!

stars

Dear Peter, Thank you, New York! Meeting you all on the campaign trail has been an incredible experience and I couldn't have won this state without your support. I am so proud to win my home state of New York- we have shown the all-talk, no-action politicians that this is a movement that cannot be stopped.

With this win, we look forward to next Tuesday in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, and Maryland. With your continued support we will Make America Great Again!

Best Wishes, 

http://i6.cmail20.com/ei/r/17/538/E63/053338/csimport/djt-signature_5.gif

8 minutes ago, Roger Bissell said:

I think that's how it's going to end up, too. Except it will be just the beginning of the end...

REB 

Yup.   The other reason Trump/Cruz is highly likely relates to the Cruz organization.    Trump will need the Cruz data/volunteers/organization for the general election.    Since he can't seem to do this on his own--notwithstanding his self-proclaimed excellence and brilliance in all things--he may as well just buy the Cruz operation.  

And locally, so much for polls and eye witness accounts. As I have mentioned, Trump will be at our local Stephen Decatur High School tonight, but now he will be in the auditorium and not the lunchroom as I previously reported and TV screens will be set up in the lunchroom, and outside on the football field. And the number has swelled to 15 big black SUV’s in his motorcade as he drives from the Salisbury Airport to Berlin, but that news is obviously exaggerated crowd noise. The news will be doing live coverage, and there is a majority that will vote for Trump in November, but numerically in Maryland we cannot counterbalance Hillary’s big support in Baltimore and Princes George’s County. I will still vote for Ted in the early primary, maybe today.

Peter  

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Once again I see more moronic stories in Realclear about a “wronged Trump” forming a third party or dropping out. I actually gave this some weight over a year ago, because of Trump’s ties to the Clintons, but now that is ludicrous. Trump is IN until the WIN.

PDS wrote: Besides, Trump is going to be 70ish were he ever to get elected, so Cruz could conceivably be the Teddy to Trump's McKinley. In other words, I stand by my prediction: Trump/Cruz get their asses kicked hard by Hillary/it-doesn't-matter. end quote

A Trump Cruz matchup is a good one though a Trump – Kasich is also good. Hillary is barely younger than Trump and I see a sputtering implosion on her part due to personality and circumstances. Trump will get in her face and hammer it with his ridicule, emotion and reason. Trump’s and Clinton’s albatross around their necks is their unfavorable's. But, the Trump campaign is on fire. Trump is getting a lot better. 

New York State’s Siena poll in March: Clinton 57 Trump 34 so that only leaves nine percent undecided and Clinton with a really, really huge 23 percent winning margin. As Trump has said, if you can’t win your home state you are a loser. What in the hell can Trump do in his own, beloved New York, when Bernie just got more votes than him? Nationally as of April 14th the Realclearpolitics average has Clinton beating Trump by 9.3 percent. On the bright side? Of course no one EVER expected New York to be a battle ground state.

Peter

From my mailbox:   - April 19th, 2016 -

NEW YORK, I LOVE YOU!

stars

Dear Peter, Thank you, New York! Meeting you all on the campaign trail has been an incredible experience and I couldn't have won this state without your support. I am so proud to win my home state of New York- we have shown the all-talk, no-action politicians that this is a movement that cannot be stopped.

With this win, we look forward to next Tuesday in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, and Maryland. With your continued support we will Make America Great Again!

Best Wishes, 

http://i6.cmail20.com/ei/r/17/538/E63/053338/csimport/djt-signature_5.gif

It's nice that Trump is watching this thread and has noticed your "somewhat late to the party" enthusiasm for his campaign.   I have received no such emails.   :(  

Yeah, that's the ticket. He mentioned ME in his letter. His hands are big. What a shaker! Oh, and he personally thanked me for the thousand, uh . . . I mean, million dollars I raised for him. His wife hugged me. Yeah that's the ticket.

Lying Guy 

9 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Robert,

To avoid the collision and see America's sovereignty degraded, there needs to be a strong border with clear and functional immigration laws, a wall with the Mexican border, a drastic reduction in the national debt, large industries to stop leaving the USA, repatriation of gobs of money overseas, decisive military action against those who attack the USA, withdrawal from multi-nation trade agreements, and so on.

It's pretty simple, really...

Michael

A "wall" won't work. There are two problems: the illegals who are here--they're mostly going to stay. How is that to be handled most advantageously? And those crossing the border now, some carrying drugs.

A drastic reduction in the national debt? The national debt is de jure, not de facto. De facto it doesn't exist UNTIL you try to reduce it by taking dollars OUT of the economy via taxes which will result in a great recession. The formal "national debt" should simply be rolled over--forever! The only rational argument is whether it should be increased or not. Hence, governemnt spending and function should be reduced BUT taxes reduced too and the economy deregulated to compensate for the reduced government spending. This may result in the government temporarily not having enough money to pay its bills. In that case get the money by a further increase in the national debt. Interest rates should also be raised to compensate the saver class which will turn around and put money into the economy. The added benefit is as the cost of (private) borrowing goes up less borrowing will result and less mal-investing. Interest rates should reflect the time value of money. Today they don't.

Stop leaving the USA? Stop taxing foreign earnings--for everybody.

Who is attacking the USA?

What trade agreements? Or is this simply some kinda principle we should all bow down to regardless?

"And so on"? WTF?

--Brant

grumping my way through OL (as usual)

1 hour ago, Roger Bissell said:

1 hour ago, PDS said:

I stand by my prediction:    Trump/Cruz get their asses kicked hard by Hillary/it-doesn't-matter.  

REB 

What are you guys going to do if it turns out to be a landslide for Trump as president against Hillary?

Rend your garments?

Mend your evil ways?

Do the unthinkable and say, "I was wrong?"

I have a murder of crows just waiting to be eaten...

:evil: 

Michael

9 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

"And so on"? WTF?

Brant,

Here's an idea. Let's just let the problems keep getting worse and hoping we can blank them out of existence with PC language and corrupt politicians. After all, if we don't talk about them, they might go away. And, anyway, the corrupt politicians who helped create them will solve them for us...

Sound reasonable?

:evil:  :) 

Michael

Trump runs for the Republican nomination and gets it and his detractors eat crow.

Trump gets elected President and the whole country eats crow.

--Brant

just an observer, not an eater: Hillary is our next President (I don't think Cruz or Trump can win)

as the nominee Trump will provide a hell of a lot of entertainment

3 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Non PC language isn't enough. That's only the horse.

Brant,

Granted. Trump needs to be elected before he can solve the problems.

Patience, mah deah... Help is on the way.

Just on the talk level, though, Trump has the whole world talking about his ideas and he's scaring the crap out of insiders, both in and outside the USA.

Not bad for someone who hasn't been elected yet.

Michael