Donald Trump

27 minutes ago, 9thdoctor said:

By this reasoning there are very few people qualified to critique the Drumpf.

Dennis,

Critique is one thing. Claims like your bud did require some kind of credibility for serious consideration (at least for me to consider his comment seriously).

Pulling opinions from where the sun doesn't shine requires very little brain power.

:) 

People like Trump often learn by doing. That means they stumble, but they learn, get up, fix errors and continue. 

Your genius pal took someone who is beating the pants off all the people he thinks are better than Trump and said Trump "can barely manage his own campaign operation."

OK, let's leave credibility aside and look at this from a strictly logical writer viewpoint.

If Donald Trump can barely manage his own campaign operation, what does that say about all those candidates he is beating--not by a little, but by a lot? Can they manage their own campaign operations? If so, why aren't they winning?

Hmmmmm?...

Somebody knows what he is doing and it sure ain't Suderman.

Michael

Edited by william.scherk
Unadorned tweets are plain ugly

Trump got zero delegates from Colorado.  And it's not like it's a winner-take-all setup there.

As JFK (can hardly believe I'm about to quote him) once said: Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan.

11 minutes ago, 9thdoctor said:

Trump got zero delegates from Colorado.  And it's not like it's a winner-take-all setup there.

As JFK (can hardly believe I'm about to quote him) once said: Victory has a hundred fathers and defeat is an orphan.

Maybe you're quoting Sorensen.

--Brant

9 minutes ago, 9thdoctor said:

Trump got zero delegates from Colorado.

Dennis,

OK.

So if Trump were running for president of Colorado, I guess he would be screwed. Looks like the voters of Colorado would be, too, seeing how they can't vote.

But Trump ain't running for president of Colorado. He's running for president of the USA.

And I'm still trying to figure out why he's not losing everywhere because a genius recently said, "Trump can barely manage his own campaign operation."

Michael

For the sake of argument, I'll concede that Suderman assigns too much significance to this Trump failure.  Are you willing to assign it any significance at all?  Especially given that Trump should have learned a lesson from Iowa that should have prevented it?

ND,

What lessons would Trump draw from failure in Colorado?

From failure anywhere?

As Suderman notes:

But Trump fired his campaign’s organizer in the state just a week before the state GOP’s convention last Saturday, where the final 13 delegates were selected. (Cruz had already picked up an additional 21 Colorado delegates in a series of seven congressional-district conventions.) The replacement manager printed up a slate to guide Trump supporters, but it was, according to CNN, "riddled with errors," including incorrect delegate numbers and, in one case, the name of a Cruz delegate. At the last minute, Trump’s team reprinted the flier listing the Trump slate, but the second print also contained errors.

Cruz, meanwhile, posted his—accurate—delegate slate on a giant screen in the convention hall, and printed it out on a bright orange t-shirt that his supporters wore around the convention.

Trump didn't have a competent operation in Colorado—period.

But that's how we might understand what happened.

There can be no lessons to be drawn, from Trump's point of view.  Being Donald Trump, he is by his unique nature entitled to win every primary, caucus, or other contest for delegates.

If he loses any of them, he cannot have lost fairly.  Some malign actor must have stolen it from him.

The Lyin' Ted rhetoric was never about any alleged injury to Ben Carson.  It was always about Cruz having the temerity to defeat Trump in Iowa.

Robert

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

btw - For those interested, it looks like Megyn Kelly paid Donald Trump a visit at his Trump Tower office.

I don't know where this is going to go, but expect to hear about it on the news during the next few days.

Michael

Here is a short clip where she addresses it

Edited by william.scherk

11 hours ago, 9thdoctor said:

Are you willing to assign it any significance at all?  Especially given that Trump should have learned a lesson from Iowa that should have prevented it?

Dennis,

Sure. But the significance must come from the perspective, that is, not transposed from its real context.

That's why I emphasized the USA election, not just the Colorado election. The USA election is the context. Suderman's approach is typical of anti-Trump people. They blank out Trump's achievements, blank out the big picture, focus on one failure, then pretend the failure is all there is. That is how Suderman can claim "Trump can barely manage his own campaign operation," even though Trump is managing it so well, he has spent a fraction compared to his opponents and is beating the pants off them.

And this goes back to perspective. Robert, who is no fan of Trump, said above: "There can be no lessons to be drawn, from Trump's point of view."

If your own perspective is wholesale contempt for Trump, there will never be any lesson you can imagine from Trump's point of view. Not from winning and not from losing anything. You just want Trump gone and anything that supports your perspective will be your focus.

I humbly submit, this perspective does not grok Trump's point of view at all. Granted, there are some real beefs in it like bashing the bluster, but there is also a lot that is left out. The wholesale contempt for Trump perspective essentially presents a caricature when it tries to portray Trump's point of view. (These folks like to mock Trump's mannerisms a lot, too. :) )

But let's look at Trump's point of view. And let's try to keep negative prejudice from blinding us into blanking out Trump's achievements, his actual wins. Trump is not running a campaign based on dirty backroom tricks, what I call "the rot." He is taking his case directly to voters and winning them over by gobs and gobs.

I submit reality as my evidence. Once again, Trump is winning. The other candidates are not. That should not be blanked out in any perspective.

Now to Trump's perspective. Trump's whole manner of being and creation has always been to enter a jammed up situation where rot is all around, implement some creative destruction and replace the rot with something magnificent. He started this process in Manhattan where he took distressed real estate that had been in trouble for decades, found out why it never got better, made deals to clean out the rot, then built magnificent buildings in their place. I could cite case after case where this is true.

A quintessential example is what he did with the Wollman Rink (ice skating). The city government tried to renovate the thing, spent millions of dollars over six years for nothing. Trump lived in front of it and didn't like the eyesore, so he offered to do the job. There was a political squabble with Mayor Ed Koch, but Trump won out and did the renovation in a few months under budget and at a fraction of the money that the city had pissed down the drain.

Using this as a metaphor for the election process, suppose Trump came across some arcane bidding rules for the rink while he was cleaning out the rot, rules that did not allow him to proceed without some ridiculous conditions being met. Should he have been an expert in all this busywork before deciding to make the magnificent project that now stands there? Nah...

He actually did run into bureaucratic snags, but he had a vision and cleaned the snags out of his way as he encountered them. He didn't do it the government's way of rot--the rules made by insiders for insiders. He did it his way based on reality. 

What's more, if you read about this case in The Art of the Deal, you will see that he knew absolutely nothing about ice skating rinks when he got the gig. Did he bow his head in shame and go, "Woe is me, I should have learned my lesson. What have I got myself into?" Nah... He called in the best experts he could find, not to build at first, but to educate himself on what was essential. He found out there were two kinds of rinks, learned the pros and cons of each, made a decision and preliminary plan based on common sense and then started hiring. Plans got developed, construction began and the rest is history.

This is how he thinks. This is how he builds.

So is Colorado a screw-up on Trump's part? Sure. Is the Colorado system itself rot? A big honking-ass sure. When you have an election where voters can't vote, I don't know what else to call it but rot. This is exactly the kind of crap Trump is running against.

Where this gets touchy with Tea Party and libertarian kinds of people is that they figured out that this was a crack in the system and Ron Paul played it well in the last election. The problem is that this rot was not made to benefit people like him. It was made to keep the establishment in power and pretend it is something else. And look what happened. The establishment took care of Ron Paul well taken care of last election. They simply changed the rules and he didn't get a place at the table. All that work figuring out how to make rot work went down the drain with more potent rot.

How can you win that way? The truth is you can't. It's rigged.

The one weakness this old boy system cannot withstand is massive votes (which is why Colorado eliminated votes). Trump figured that out and has been focusing on that--not votes that are tied to political figures where the rot is, but votes from people who have given up due to the rot. These people exist and can't be controlled by the rot except if they don't vote at all. And that's what the rot counts on. Trump figured out there are a hell of a lot of those people. The backroom establishment boys have been ignoring them. Now the backroom establishment boys have seen the door blown off their backroom, their pants are down and the whole world is looking at them.

Hell, the stars of the establishment aren't even going to the convention this year. Did you see that? Jeb and a whole bunch of others are going to stay away. I wonder why, I wonder. 

So, getting to the heart of your question, should Trump have learned from Iowa that this delegate rot was how the game was played? I admit, it took him awhile. He was focused elsewhere and winning at it. But he learned and got himself a top expert along with a crack expert staff. Now--and this part is critical to understanding Trump's perspective--Trump put this new team together fundamentally to treat the rot, not win the election at root. He already had that part down.

If you are an anti-Trump person, I don't know if that will make sense to you. But Trump is not in this to win the election through rot. He's now dealing with the rot, but underneath, he wants to clean out the rot. As to the actual election, he is taking his election strategy directly to voters and addressing their concerns. In other words, he wants to keep getting new voters, and he wants to blow up and amputate the rot, not become an expert in it. 

But those are the rules, the anti-Trump people proclaim and Trump did not learn them. He was clueless. Clueless, I tell ya'. Clueless! :) 

Well, the rot actually is part of the rules. And Trump has learned them in time. And, as you see in the press, he knows how to apply some painful leverage to the rot. Even Reince Priebus is tweeting, "Give us all a break."

Trump stumbled in Colorado because the rot was deeper than he imagined, but he's together now. And make no mistake, those who are expert in rot rules are in for a rude awakening. Trump is competent as all hell when he gets a bead on something.

Trump's kind of mentality learns from feedback in reality, not backroom deals and boning up in advance on the intricacies of arcane rules made to protect the guilty. Instead, he makes deals with people, often not the guilty, and they end up rewriting the rules.

Watch this unfold and you will see exactly how Trump will govern and how he will clean out the rot in government. But most of all, keep an eye on what he will put in the place of the rot.

Anti-Trump people proclaim he will put in more rot. Worse rot. Terrible rot. But if you look at the string of magnificent iconic projects the world over he has built (and TV shows and bestsellers and on and on and on), if that is your standard and not fear or hatred for whatever reason, it's hard to accept that he will build rot. Trump doesn't build rot. It's just not what he does.

In my view, really good times are coming.

Michael

Just a little more rot from last August: 

CO GOP Chair On Donald Trump: “Looking Forward To Fiorina Making Trump Look Bad”
Kathryn Porter
Sept. 3, 2105
PolitiChicks

From the article:

In an audio of Colorado Republican Party Chair Steve House speaking at an August 11th Pueblo County GOP meet-up, House made some interesting statements about Donald Trump. Here are some of his comments from the meeting:

“Do I think he’s going to be the nominee? Absolutely not.”

“Do you know who he’s taking away votes from? Ted Cruz. Right, Ted Cruz, right? Which is so hard to believe.”

After House and his cronies got done with it, it sure is hard to believe.

Michael

Michael wrote: So if Trump were running for president of Colorado, I guess he would be screwed. Looks like the voters of Colorado would be, too, seeing how they can't vote. end quote

It is early primary voting time in Maryland. Along with the candidates, the sample ballot includes delegates who must be voted into office. The main selection of delegates has three people who have identified with each candidate for a total of nine, and three alternates who have their favorite candidate next to their name. So the sample might say, “Delegate: Taylor – for Cruz. Alternate Delegate: Heidi – for Cruz.”  

Robert wrote about Trump: If he loses any of them, he cannot have lost fairly.  Some malign actor must have stolen it from him. end quote

I might want Cruz to be my candidate, but none of my selected delegates may be at the national convention in Cleveland if Trump or Kasich gain the majority of votes. Is that fair? Does it depend on WHO the winner is to be fair? I like Maryland’s system better than having a state convention where the delegates are selected by other potential delegates.

Peter

Michael wrote: Watch this unfold and you will see exactly how Trump will govern and how he will clean out the rot in government. end quote

So far, I am heartened and appalled at Trump. Would Trump be the ultimate crony capitalist? No. He has made his bundle and he does not seem to be thick as thieves with others of the elite class and he is certainly not aligned with the top of the political hierarchy. Seriously, (a smile is permitted,) if anything, Trump seems to be a family man in the Mormon tradition, with multiple wives and an extended family. Within his producer, saver, gambler, prideful mentality he could make a wonderful President. I hope so. He needs to thicken his skin and avoid being rash.

The recent incident where our destroyers were 70? miles from Russia and were overflown 30 times is the type of incident that worries me about Trump being in the oval office. Would Trump even be conducting minor war games that close to Putin’s Russia? Maybe not. I hope not.  

I see the occasional Trump bumper sticker but most of the yard signs are for Cruz and Clinton in my neck of the woods. I have not heard of any vandalism based upon who is named but I would worry more if a divisive candidate’s name was featured. Until about a month ago an old, wooden Ron Paul for Prez sign still stood near a new McDonalds on some farm land which was just sold to be developed as another store.

Peter

I'm putting this in the Trump thread even though Trump's name is not mentioned. It deals with immigration.

Basically, it's a broadcast by a local newsman in Fargo, ND, saying that Fargo won a prize for its attitude about accepting resettled immigrants. And there are a bunch of patriotic sounding names of organizations involved. But when you get down to it,

1. Fargo residents don't want the immigrants as per a survey,
2. The organizations are all fronts for big corporations who want cheap labor and even George Soros, and
3. The kicker: the prize is to be used to set up an indoctrination center for the citizens of Fargo to accept the immigrants.

Ta Daa!

Needless to say, since Trump's thing is to get immigration organized in a manner good for middle class Americans, this video is getting a lot of play by Trump people.

This kind of deception and bad immigration policy are exactly what he is fighting.

Enjoy:

Michael

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Michael wrote: Watch this unfold and you will see exactly how Trump will govern and how he will clean out the rot in government. end quote

So far, I am heartened and appalled at Trump. Would Trump be the ultimate crony capitalist? No. He has made his bundle and he does not seem to be thick as thieves with others of the elite class and he is certainly not aligned with the top of the political hierarchy. Seriously, (a smile is permitted,) if anything, Trump seems to be a family man in the Mormon tradition, with multiple wives and an extended family. Within his producer, saver, gambler, prideful mentality he could make a wonderful President. I hope so. He needs to thicken his skin and avoid being rash.

The recent incident where our destroyers were 70? miles from Russia and were overflown 30 times is the type of incident that worries me about Trump being in the oval office. Would Trump even be conducting minor war games that close to Putin’s Russia? Maybe not. I hope not.  

I see the occasional Trump bumper sticker but most of the yard signs are for Cruz and Clinton in my neck of the woods. I have not heard of any vandalism based upon who is named but I would worry more if a divisive candidate’s name was featured. Until about a month ago an old, wooden Ron Paul for Prez sign still stood near a new McDonalds on some farm land which was just sold to be developed as another store.

Peter

You are an optimist.  Trump is a thug and no doubt will produce a needed Shock to The System.   But The Donald has not the slightest concept of Constitutional and Legal Limits on State power.   He thinks the President is the head of a Large Business Firm.   That is simply not the case. And Trump as a business boss is not all that promising.  Many of his ventures have failed.   The U.S. is not a private entity for Trump to drive around  as he sees fit.  I am not sure that he realizes this limitation. 

Ba’al wrote:  The U.S. is not a private entity for Trump to drive around as he sees fit.  I am not sure that he realizes this limitation. end quote

OK guys. We’re in. Glad the convention and acceptance speech are over with. Don’t read me any of that congratulations crap. What am I going to do tomorrow? What am I going to do my first sixty days in office? I guess I should have thought about that by now. Who do we owe an ambassadorship to? Have any generals decided to retire now that I am their CO? Get that mick, Paul Ryan on the phone.

Peter

Snips from Wikipedia. The President of the United States has numerous powers, including those explicitly granted by Article II of the United States Constitution, implied powers, powers granted by Acts of Congress, and the influence and soft power that comes from being President of the United States of America.

The Constitution explicitly assigns to the president the power to sign or veto legislation, command the armed forces, ask for the written opinion of his Cabinet, convene or adjourn Congress, grant reprieves and pardons, and receive ambassadors. The president may make treaties which need to be ratified by two thirds of the Senate. The president may also appoint Article III judges and some officers with advice and consent of the Senate ( consent being by simple majority) and if there is a Senate recess, he may make temporary appointments.

Within the executive branch itself, the president has broad powers to manage national affairs and the workings of the government. The president can issue rules, regulations, and instructions called executive orders, which have the binding force of law upon federal agencies but do not require congressional approval. They are, however, subject to judicial review and interpretation.

According to the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921, the president is also responsible for preparing the United States' budget, although Congress must approve it.

As Commander in Chief of the armed forces of the United States, the president may also call into federal service the state units of the National Guard. In times of war or national emergency, the Congress may grant the president even broader powers to manage the national economy and protect the security of the United States, but these are not powers granted by the United States Constitution to the president.  

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Figure this one out, why doncha? Because I can't.

From Politico today:

Karl Rove-backed PAC warms to Trump

Dayaamm!

Michael

Could this indicate Rove thinks he sees the end of the Bush dynasty?  I don't know, pure speculation.

Jeb's son seems less of a man-child than his father, so the above might not be the case.