Donald Trump

On April 2, 2016 at 0:35 AM, Selene said:

This is not "Lying Ted." a/k/a Rafael...

Adam,

That would be Lyin' Ted, according to Donald Trump himself, in the Appleton rally posted upthread.  Which perhaps should be glossed as "the inferior being who couldn't have won the Iowa caucuses; he had to steal them from me."

As for the over-the-hill hard-rockin' Ted, since Ted Nugent called Barack Obama a "subhuman mongrel," his endorsement has been, well, toxic.

Definitely not something for The Donald to boast about.

Robert

33 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Definitely not something for The Donald to boast about.

Robert

Don't think The Donald boasted about it, I thought it was funny.

A...

On April 1, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Robert,

I don't recall Trump denying any of that.

Did he?

Michael

Michael,

I am going to keep my comments about Scott Walker to a minimum between now and Tuesday night.  

The primary results from Wisconsin will tell us, pretty exactly, what the payoff has been to Trump's strategy, not of running directly against Ted Cruz or John Kasich, but of re-stomping Scott Walker.  Data beat prognostications, every time.

The question is not whether Donald Trump has denied anything about the struggle against rule by the public employee unions in Wisconsin.

The question is whether he has ever so much as acknowledged its existence.

What did he say when he gave money to Scott Walker's reelection campaign?  (You know, the donation that led Walker to present him with a plaque?)  I don't know.  Do you?

In order to run Walker down, as responsible for all the inexplicable political hatred that Trump somehow imagines is unique to Wisconsin, he has to at least pretend not to know what the fighting has been about.

And, hey, this is Donald Trump.  It's quite possible he never did know.

Robert

10 minutes ago, Selene said:

Don't think The Donald boasted about it, I thought it was funny.

A...

If The Donald is half as smart as people believe him to be, he won't have boasted about it.

And after the "subhuman mongrel" episode, neither should anyone else.

Robert

On April 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Jonathan said:

I don't know if that was a mistake. I've always seen McCain as a political dirt bag, a con man and a betrayer, and I suspect that he was already scheming and calculating all the way back to his military years (if not earlier). And I've heard or read about a lot of other people who have the same impression. I think that it's quite likely that his alleged heroism and concern for his fellow prisoners was primarily about crafting an image of himself in order to be rewarded with power.

J

Jonathan,

Do you really think that John McCain spent 5 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton, being starved and tortured for a good portion of his stay, out of a desire for political power?

He retired from the Navy on a disability, because since his visit to the Hilton he has never been able to raise his arms above his head.

I do not care for most of what McCain has done while in politics—whether it was cozying up with crooked S&L operators, or suppressing free speech with campaign finance legislation, or turning into a deer in the headlights when Lehman Brothers went under, or dumping on his few decent Republican colleagues in the Senate as "wacko birds."  He should have left office years ago, and I hope he loses his primary this year.

But, really, Donald Trump's remark was as vile as anything that ever gets said in politics.

It didn't cost him politically, though.  What costs Trump, as maybe he's been learning in the last two weeks, is walking back one of his vile remarks.

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

The primary results from Wisconsin will tell us, pretty exactly, what the payoff has been to Trump's strategy, not of running directly against Ted Cruz or John Kasich, but of re-stomping Scott Walker.

Robert,

Trump has not been running against Cruz as in Trump has not been bashing him?

On what planet?

Here on earth Trump bashing Cruz is all you hear.

:)

Michael

This is probably a screw-up by a local Fox affiliate, but if it is real, that's a hell of a short-term turnaround in poll numbers and I want it on record in this thread. Especially since all the media have been hawking the Trump is tanking storyline.

It is from KTVU, the Fox affiliate for San Francisco.

NOTE: I tried to embed this video from Facebook, but it is not playing. Go to this link to see it. For those who just want what it says, it gives the new Fox poll for Saturday (April 2) for the upcoming primary in Wisconsin as follows:
Trump 41%
Cruz 32%
Kasich 19%

I don't know anything about the time of the broadcast, but it was posted on Facebook on April 2 around noon.

Michael

7 hours ago, Robert Campbell said:

Jonathan,

Do you really think that John McCain spent 5 1/2 years in the Hanoi Hilton, being starved and tortured for a good portion of his stay, out of a desire for political power?

I think that political power plays a part in all of his decisions, including the choices he made back then.

J

I'm posting the following just to be a brat to those who fear the Big Bad Trump Bully.

It's a hell of a visual (click on the first photograph).

Actually, don't click. Here it is in all its glory.

CfKgZlLUsAAD8v-.jpg

Sleep on that one, mah dahlingks...

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I'm posting the following just to be a brat to those who fear the Big Bad Trump Bully.

It's a hell of a visual (click on the first photograph).

Actually, don't click. Here it is in all its glory.CfKgZlLUsAAD8v-.jpg

Sleep on that one, mah dahlingks...

Michael

Police gone military represents the advance of on the ground and in your face fascism comes to Amerika.

Will they be giving me a smile while they shoot me?

--Brant

thinking Mexico

12 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

This is probably a screw-up by a local Fox affiliate, but if it is real, that's a hell of a short-term turnaround in poll numbers and I want it on record in this thread. Especially since all the media have been hawking the Trump is tanking storyline.

It is from KTVU, the Fox affiliate for San Francisco.

NOTE: I tried to embed this video from Facebook, but it is not playing. Go to this link to see it. For those who just want what it says, it gives the new Fox poll for Saturday (April 2) for the upcoming primary in Wisconsin as follows:
Trump 41%
Cruz 32%
Kasich 19%

I don't know anything about the time of the broadcast, but it was posted on Facebook on April 2 around noon.

Michael

Michael,

Appears to have been a screwup.

Today Google shows no Fox poll with that date.

Today's RCP Average shows no Fox poll with that date, either.

Robert

PS. See below for the ARG poll, which this may have been a distorted reference to.

Edited by Robert Campbell
Update

Michael wrote about Trump supporters on the Cruz Nuz thread: Like I said, at the root, underneath everything, Trump is a reflection of his supporters, not a puppet-master controlling their minds . . . If these people were so vulnerable to Mesmer-like manipulation, Obama would have had them in his hip pocket and eating out of his hand long ago through the efforts of all his behavioral scientists (COBS). end quote

He played the crony capitalist game but now he doesn’t need their money . . . so that makes him believable, and he really is NO LONGER a crony capitalist? He was a democrat . . . but now he isn’t, so you don’t even think he will do what a democrat will do? He changed his stripes? He won’t deal anymore? He has a scruple? Trust him even though you wouldn’t trust a used car he was selling?  

Headline: Religious leaders Mother Teresica and Billy Grahamcracker Junior went to the White House today to sit with First Lady Megalania Grump. She served them vodka martinis and showed them the new furniture made in her home country of Elbonia.

Headline: The Panama Paper’s leaks contains 5 million internal emails about offshore accounts. Drug king pigs, politicians like Putin, and profit hiding billionaires beware! Wikileaks is onto you! Feel the Bern if Bernie, with his wunnerful likeability ratings, gets into power.

Peter      

Michael and Adam,

I notice you've both been quiet about Donald Trump's walkbacks.

Not the one on punishing women who get abortions.

The walkback on tweeting an unflattering picture of Heidi Cruz next to a flattering picture of Melania Trump.

Even a walkback on whether Corey Lewandowski should have apologized to Michelle Fiedls.

Donald Trump tries to stomp Megyn Kelly, repeatedly.

Then he gives an interview to Maureen Dowd.

Are you beginning to see why I think Trump is so busy stomping Republicans (and media outlets who favor them) that he won't even be able to get started on stomping Democrats?

Robert

5 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I think that political power plays a part in all of his decisions, including the choices he made back then.

J

Jonathan,

Wow.

Meanwhile, you were incredulous when I referred to Corey Lewandowski as a bad actor.

He got his big break when Bob Ney hired him to manage his reelection campaign.

Do you remember Bob Ney?

Robert

Michael,

Has Trump given one speech (or press conference) in Wisconsin, in which he has not carved out time to trash Scott Walker?

If you find one, please post a link.

Bernie Sanders has been running full-tilt against Scott Walker, to the point of claiming that Walker is killing people (by refusing to expand Medicaid).  Of course, he's bemoaned every measure to curb the unions.

That's what you'd expect from a Democrat, trying to fire up the hard Left portion of the party's base.

What's Trump's excuse?

Besides, the more Democrats in Wisconsin get fired up to vote for Bernie, the fewer will be voting for Trump in the Republican primary.

Robert

Who said it? Kanye West or Donald Trump? I have a great relationship with blacks. I don’t like the crying. I am a proud non-reader of books. The thing is, for me to say I wasn’t a genius, I would be lying to you. When you are the absolute greatest you get hated on the most. The beauty of me is that I’m very rich. Fur pillows are hard to sleep on. My apartment is too nice to listen to rap in. I feel like I’m too busy writing history to read it. I have no idea what I am doing. EEEooo, periods!   

Robert wrote: Are you beginning to see why I think Trump is so busy stomping Republicans (and media outlets who favor them) that he won't even be able to get started on stomping Democrats? end quote

It does make you wonder. Uh oh. Fop News just said Paul Ryan is being considered as Convention material.

But Trump? Come on man! As the Rod Stuart lyrics say, leave Virginia alone. Stop stepping on women. The two main branches of Muslims is Sookies and Cheetahs? When is Trump going to be deep briefed on any subject? Would any of it stick in his affluenza created, porous old brain? Trump told Chris Wallace that NATO was obsolete, and he doesn’t want to telegraph his stupidity? He said women should hypothetically go to jail if they hypothetically have an illegal abortion, and women love him? Why is he still making rookie mistakes?     

And why is Trump constantly bullying others? He repeatedly calls the respectful Senator from Texas, Ted Cruz, “Lyin’ Ted.” But he is THE playground liar! Poor little Marco . . . look at that face . . . etc.

From Wikipedia: Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unpleasant impulses by denying their existence while attributing them to others. end quote

I’m just sayin’.

Peter

Some relief from the doldrums of The Sargasso Sea.

Years ago on Atlantis Ellen Moore wrote and quoted: *matching* refers to the concept "similarity, as differences yet of the same kind".  We perceive the first one, identify it, and that identification is integrated and stored in the subconscious. Second time, we perceive another uniquely different object and/or characteristic. Then we are still perceiving all the differences and we can identify these as similar, different yet alike in kind, as the first time perception, and that is integrated and stored. Consciousness is instantaneously aware and able to identify all differences stored in the subconscious - the differences "matching" is in the similarity in range and kind. In that sense, identification is similarity matched and is given in perception.

As Rand wrote in ITOE, p. 150-2, "No, you do something else volitionally . . . . Do you know what you will?  You will to observe. You use your senses, you look around, and your will is to grasp, to understand. And you observe similarities.  Now, you don't know yet that this is the process of abstraction . . . But you are engaged in it once you begin to observe similarities."  On the next page, she said, "As he discovers certain things, he begins to direct his sensory apparatus, and that is volitional."

Rand defined "integration" as, "a blending of the units [which she defined in ITOE] into a *single*, new *mental* entity which is used thereafter as a single unit of thought (but which can be broken down into its components units whenever required."

32 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Jonathan,

Wow.

Meanwhile, you were incredulous when I referred to Corey Lewandowski as a bad actor.

False. I merely rejected one of your claims against Lewandowski. I reported that the evidence does not back up Fields' exaggerated claims of what happened. You keep evading that evidence. Your backward thinking seems to be that, since you've decided that Lewandowski is a "bad actor," then any accusation against him must be true, even when the evidence shows that it is not. You seem to think that ignoring the evidence makes it magically disappear.

He got his big break when Bob Ney hired him to manage his reelection campaign.

Do you remember Bob Ney?

And? Do you imagine that you're making a rational argument in the above? Guilt by association? Bob Ney was bad, and he had once hired Lewandowski, therefore Lewandowski is bad, and therefore he is always bad in every situation, and any and all accusations made against him must be true?

That's a whole pile of fallacious arguments. Illogical as hell. The video evidence does not support Fields' accusations. And there are also other, similar incidents of Lewandowski's alleged horrifically violent abuse of people which also contradict the accusations made against him. I'm always amazed at how much difficulty certain people can have in looking at video evidence, and how easily they can be talked into believing that the physically impossible happened.

J

27 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Michael,

Has Trump given one speech (or press conference) in Wisconsin, in which he has not carved out time to trash Scott Walker?

Robert,

He also bashes Obama, trade agreements, all kinds of things. I have listened to two Trump speeches in Wisconsin and I did not hear him devote more than a small spotlight on Walker: the story where Walker visited him for a donation and brought a plaque, and that he looked at the economic data for Wisconsin and it wasn't good, so he mentioned it in the debates, Walker tanked instead of continuing a coronation, and since then Walker has not liked him. Trump improvises around those two things, and, unless my memory is faulty right now, I don't recall him saying much anything else about Walker.

We're talking about 2 minutes or so out of an entire speech.

Believe me, he devotes a hell of a lot more time to Cruz.

But that's the crux of your beef?

Frankly, I don't think many people even notice that much. Most people at Trump rallies are thinking about things other than a feud between Scott Walker and Donald Trump.

Michael

57 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Even a walkback on whether Corey Lewandowski should have apologized to Michelle Fiedls.

Robert,

Good Lord!

Are you making stuff up, now?

Where on earth did Trump say Lewandowski should have apologized to Michelle Fields?

Hell, he got Chris Wallace to say that Fields distorted what happened from the beginning. 100%. I can find the video if you have not seen it.

Michael

53 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

I notice you've both been quiet about Donald Trump's walkbacks.

Not the one on punishing women who get abortions.

The walkback on tweeting an unflattering picture of Heidi Cruz next to a flattering picture of Melania Trump.

Robert,

If you want to call it a walkback.

I'm paraphrasing right now, but if you find the video, you will hear I got the gist right. Trump said something like, "I would not use that picture if I could do it over. But I didn't do anything wrong. Cruz went after Melania first."

If that's a walkback, you have a very low bar for walkbacks.

Michael

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

Are you beginning to see why I think Trump is so busy stomping Republicans (and media outlets who favor them) that he won't even be able to get started on stomping Democrats?

Robert,

What should Trump do media-wise. Give interviews to National Review, the very same that devoted an entire issue to bashing him?

Trump is running an election, not a neocon Republican cult operation.

Michael

14 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:
16 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Where on earth did Drumpf say Lewandowski should have apologized to Michelle Fields?

Drumpf Does It His Way

Wouldn’t it have been better, I asked, if Drumpf campaign manager Corey Lewandowski had simply called the reporter Michelle Fields and apologized for yanking her arm?

“You’re right, but from what I understand it wouldn’t have mattered,” Drumpf said.

Michael wrote: “Trump is running an election, not a neocon Republican cult operation.”

Thank goodness no cultists or rino’s need enter here! So, no Tom Cruise, Brother’s Blue, wandering Jews, chain gang crews or British loos allowed, only Ted Cruz. I think they just said Trump has narrowed the lead in Wisconsin to around minus 7 so Cruz is still winning. A foxy business lady is saying Trump is (lying, my word) when he says he will delete the debt in eight years. A wall street think tank did give him one big Pinocchio.

Today, Mike Gallagher on Fox said Trump “will go nuclear on Clinton.” We wish. That is one positive thing I can say about Trump. He can entertain. He will do his doo-wop riff and drop bombs on Old Hickory Clinton, but will his snide insinuations, blatant name calling, and moronic witticisms cost him the election (which he may have already lost because of them)?

Peter

Notes: Trump looks to pass commander-in-chief test as rivals see weakness, By Stephen Collinson, CNN, Updated 1:02 PM ET, Mon April 4, 2016/ Washington. Donald Trump is suddenly confronted with a test faced by every candidate with serious designs on the White House: He must prove he's fit and ready to be commander in chief. The real estate mogul has drawn attention to his readiness and knowledge of national security with a series of controversial comments over the past several weeks critical of decades of U.S. strategic orthodoxy pursued by Republicans and Democrats alike. He's called NATO "obsolete," warned that America's Asian and European allies are fleecing Washington over the cost of their defense and thrown accepted nuclear doctrine into question. On Saturday, Trump appeared to raise the prospect of a war between Japan and North Korea, saying, "If they do, they do," in remarks that will further worry U.S. allies in Asia . . . . So Trump's recent performance, which has horrified the GOP national security establishment, has piled pressure on the Republican front-runner to justify his ideas. He needs to prove that by effectively tearing up the post-World War II national security compact in favor of a foreign policy based on what he describes as making better deals for America, he can make the nation safer.

. . . . Kori Schake, who served in the Republican administration of George W. Bush, said that Trump would offer a poor contrast to the former secretary of state. "It will be impossible for Donald Trump as the Republican candidate to pick up any ground against Hillary Clinton on national security. All she will have to say is 'steady, positive relations benefit the United States and the world," said Schake, who is now at the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. "He looks like he will be a crisis a week in foreign policy," Schake said. "If the American people are at all anxious about how dangerous the world seems, he will make it seem more dangerous."

Peter Feaver, a former senior member of Bush's National Security Council, acknowledged that Trump's comments on foreign policy are unlikely to shake the loyalty of his grass-roots supporters. But he said that Trump could have already compromised himself with other voters. "The commander-in-chief test clearly matters for the others in the rest of the Republican electorate, and then the large number of swing voters, independents and others that Trump would have to win over to become president," said Feaver, now a professor of political science at Duke University. "I would go so far as to suggest that he may have irretrievably lost those people. It would be hard to imagine something that he could do that would convince them that he could pass the test," Feaver said. "It may be lost to him at this point."

. . . . Clinton is not waiting to clinch the Democratic nomination to start positioning herself as the most ready to call the shots in the Situation Room after national security re-emerged as a top issue after the Brussels attacks . . . . Clinton also argued that Trump is temperamentally unsuited to fighting terrorism, a threat that preoccupies many voters. "What America needs is strong, smart, steady leadership to wage and win this struggle," Clinton said in her Stanford speech. The Clinton campaign is looking forward to the fight . . . . 

15 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

“You’re right, but from what I understand it wouldn’t have mattered,” Drumpf said.

William,

And you guys of the gotcha crew consider that as a sincere apology?

Trump was talking about the media headache it caused, not walking back Lewandowski's guilt.

I don't know what's in your heads, but when Dowd asked, "Wouldn't it have been better..." Trump was not thinking, "You caught me. I'm found out. I should not have tried to be immoral."

He was thinking it would have been less of a hassle with the morons in the press even though he was right. Do you have any doubt Trump was thinking something like that?

If that dismissive "wouldn’t have mattered" brush-off rings your ding-a-ling, though, enjoy it. 

Michael