Donald Trump

14 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

If you want to know my druthers, I want my negatives of Cruz to go away and go back to entertaining a Cruz VP fantasy. I don't trust him anymore and I want that trust to come back. I don't know how to fix that, but my antenna is up looking for something. I don't feel hatred for Cruz. I feel sadness.

Michael,

Do you feel hatred or sadness for Scott Walker?

Robert

What was that sexy phrase Lawrence Welk used to entice the ladies to watch his show?  "Ah one, an a two ..."

14 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I want my negatives of Cruz to go away and go back to entertaining a Cruz VP fantasy.

I'm thinking: third-party, with Trump and Sanders. They have a lot in common, and it might be just the spoiler team needed in a four-way race to put Gary Johnson into the White House. :lol:

REB

3 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Michael,

You linked to an anti-Cruz piece by Bill Still a few days back.

With a straight face, Still showed Politifact ratings of statements by Ted Cruz as proof that he is, indeed, Lyin' Ted.

Still did not show Politifact ratings for Donald Trump.  Why not?

Donald Trump makes false statements so frequently, it's impossible to keep up with them all.

How does this make him a person of good character?

Is it possible that Trump exhibits Holier-Than-Thou Syndrome, projecting onto others his own mega-lying ways, accusing them of what he personally is guilty of in spades? Same for Trump's serial infidelities. Why, Trump could be an Evangelical Christian, after all, just like he claims! :lol:

REB

Just now, Robert Campbell said:

Do you feel hatred or sadness for Scott Walker?

Robert,

I don't know that much about him. I only know the things I have seen on TV and in the press.

I loved the David and Goliath story with the government unions and recalls. But he's also said some things that have raised my eyebrows.

Also, the establishment had pre-coronated him in the beginning (going by the pundits) and that always gets me suspicious.

Frankly, other than that, I don't feel much of anything about him except a distant curiosity.

Michael

12 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Robert,

It's called campaign rhetoric. It's an election.

People say Trump made his money through inheritance and scams. So what?

By your criteria, Ben Carson should spit every time he thinks of Trump. But guess who's supporting Trump?

:) 

Michael

Michael,

Apparently campaign rhetoric is excusable only when it is produced by Donald J. Trump.

Then, no matter how crude, overbearing, or preposterous, it becomes golden.

Unless Donald Trump is secretly trying to advance the interests of the NEA, AFSCME, and SEIU—a job better left to Hillary Clinton, who can afford to be open about that part of her agenda—why is he slamming Scott Walker's record as governor?

Only because Walker is not bowing before him.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, Ben Carson gets from Donald Trump, should Trump secure election to the Presidency.

Carson actually should spit every time he thinks of Donald Trump.

Trump didn't care whether Cruz's people took votes away from Carson in the Iowa caucuses, by repeating a CNN story and not retracting what they'd said once it was clear CNN had it wrong.

Trump cared because Cruz beat him in the Iowa caucuses.

If Trump had taken the caucuses, would we ever have heard one word out of him on the subject?

Now if Ben Carson has finally figured that out, he is spitting.  But he's having to do it in private.

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

Jon,

Do you have any idea what Trump and Lewandowski's immediate reactions were, three weeks ago?

You can look them up.

Robert Campbell

She lied about what happened. "I almost fell to the ground..."

There should be no charges for anyone.

Nothing happened.

8 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Donald Trump makes false statements so frequently, it's impossible to keep up with them all.

How does this make him a person of good character?

Robert,

Hell, that's easy and I've said it often in this thread. It's a principle.

Whenever there is a disparity between what someone says and what they do, I go with what they do as the better indication of their character, or better indication of what they will do in the future, etc.

Trump builds magnificent things and doesn't go to war to get his money. He does it the old fashioned free market capitalist way.

And puleeze, don't say eminent domain or buying politicians. That's like the video footage they showed at a Trump rally where a 78 year old guy sucker-punched a protester. Yeah, it was wrong, but they showed that clip over and over and over, that's all they showed on the news for a time, all the while saying Trump rallies are bastions of riots and violence. They didn't bother showing the tens of thousands of peaceful people there. How come all those other folks were not rioting, like, say, happened Baltimore where they burned stuff down and looted stores? (The press constantly does this.)

Check into Trump's actual productive achievements in a spirit of objectivity sometime. You might start getting the surprise of your life. Here's a good place to start if you like, but it's just the surface: The Trump Organization.

The press keeps trying to spin that bad, but there's simply way too much good to spin it all.

Michael

18 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Robert,

I don't know that much about him. I only know the things I have seen on TV and in the press.

I loved the David and Goliath story with the government unions and recalls. But he's also said some things that have raised my eyebrows.

Also, the establishment had pre-coronated him in the beginning (going by the pundits) and that always gets me suspicious.

Frankly, other than that, I don't feel much of anything about him except a distant curiosity.

Michael

Michael,

What Walker did, taking on the public employee unions, was far more important than anything that Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck (just to name two) were doing during the same time frame.

And let's not even start on the comparison with John Kasich, who tried to emulate him, failed miserably, and then executed a 180.

It's all reduced to this:

Scott Walker stood in Donald Trump's way.  

So now he's barely worth inquiring into.

Wow.

If you actually want to know what he accomplished, go through the archives of Ann Althouse's blog from that period. Be prepared to spend a lot of time.

Robert

Edited by Robert Campbell

4 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Carson actually should spit every time he thinks of Donald Trump.

Robert,

Nah. Carson is a top-quality producer. So is Trump.

Producers don't think that way.

People who are accustomed to the brand of politics we have gotten recently don't realize there are people who think differently than sellouts we now have who have to keep a mask in place. In fact, they will look at what Ben Carson is doing and call him a sellout, imagining it was a sellout kind of soul that led him to become a world-class brain surgeon.

Actually they won't think like that. They will just blank out what kind of character is needed to to become a world-class brain surgeon and call Carson a sellout anyway.

Carson loves America and he knows what Trump is made of. They are very similar top-quality producer animals underneath.

Michael

1 hour ago, Robert Campbell said:

As for your views of Evangelicals and Mormons, just look at the way you have portrayed them on this one thread—for, say, the past three weeks.  I think anyone reading those posts would conclude that, at a minimum, you tend to favor Trump because he is irreligious and utterly despise Cruz because he is religious.

Robert,

You're the only one who has said that, but I'll think about how I frame this.

I am saddened by Cruz because of his hypocrisy and think this will hurt him with his core supporters. If you run on integrity as your distinguishing characteristic, you have to have it or not get caught. It's just that simple. 

I don't hate him because he is religious.

Religion-wise, I am scared of people who seek power and claim--or let others lay on hands on them in public and claim--they are the anointed one from God to rule over me and everyone else. That they are the fulfillment of a religious prophecy. 

That bothers me regardless of religion. And it bothers me when atheists and scientists do their version. 

That doesn't mean I hate atheism or science.

Michael

41 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

She lied about what happened. "I almost fell to the ground..."

There should be no charges for anyone.

Nothing happened.

Jon,

What's more, she grabbed Trump first. It's right there on the video.

As Trump keeps asking, should he press charges against her? One could reasonably argue that Corey was trying to get her off Trump.

I think the harsh reactions from the Trump folks at first were more in the line of dismissing a groupie-like reporter who went too far, then who tried to make a big deal out of being brushed aside.

But then the Trump-haters latched onto it and off it went. Poor Michelle Fields is being used and I don't think she perceives how. Or maybe she does now and this is a coming of age for her.

Michael

North Dakota’ primary/caucus is April 2nd and 28 unbound delegates are available. Cruz is predicted to take all or the majority The Wisconsin Republican Primary is next Tuesday. It is a winner take all state and has 42 delegates and a RealClearPolitics poll suggests that Ted Cruz enjoys a minor lead of just .7 of a percentage point on Donald Trump in the latest early polling numbers.

The RealClear Politics poll suggests that Cruz might have benefited from recent endorsements. Cruz received an endorsement from Gov. Scott Walker and hopes that will help him secure a win in Wisconsin. In the meantime the RealClear Politics keeps a running average of the Wisconsin polls. The average includes data from three polls. The Optimus poll conducted March 22-24, the Emerson poll conducted March 20-22 and the Free Beacon/Basswood Research poll conducted March 19-20.

Which Republican candidate if elected, would fulfill the Objectivist idea of a better if not ideal government?

Peter

Notes:

From TeaParty.org. The Tea Party is a grassroots movement that calls awareness to any issue which challenges the security, sovereignty, or domestic tranquility of our beloved nation, the United States of America. From our founding, the Tea Party represents the voice of the true owners of the United States: WE THE PEOPLE . . . . We stand by the Constitution as inherently conservative. We serve as a beacon to the masses that have lost their way, a light illuminating the path to the original intentions of our Founding Fathers . . . . By joining the Tea Party, you are taking a stand for our nation. You will be upholding the grand principles set forth in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs.

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.
3. A strong military is essential.
4. Special interests must be eliminated.
5. Gun ownership is sacred.
6. Government must be downsized.

7. The national budget must be balanced.
8. Deficit spending must end.
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.
13. Intrusive government must be stopped.
14. English as our core language is required.
15. Traditional family values are encouraged.

The following is really cute:

Trump Does Mock Dramatic Reading of Michelle Fields Statement at CNN Town Hall

Unfortunately, the video doesn't embed.

But it is quite entertaining to watch Anderson Cooper's reactions while he was trying to play gotcha on Trump and instead got a crapload of unexpected gotchas dumped on his head.

btw - Trump said his arm will never be the same after Michelle Fields.

Michael

1 minute ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

The following is really cute:

Trump Does Mock Dramatic Reading of Michelle Fields Statement at CNN Town Hall

Unfortunately, the video doesn't embed.

But it is quite entertaining to watch Anderson Cooper's reactions while he was trying to play gotcha on Trump and instead got a crapload of unexpected gotchas dumped on his head.

btw - Trump said his arm will never be the same after Michelle Fields.

Michael

And Michael, as I mentioned above, Trump called Cruz Rafael!! 

2 minutes ago, Selene said:

And Michael, as I mentioned above, Trump called Cruz Rafael!! 

Adam,

I actually saw that as it happened. I had forgotten about the Town Hall and just turned the TV on. It was right at the end.

You are right. Anderson Cooper's blubbering stunned reaction was priceless.

And I even like Anderson Cooper.

Michael

Wait Michael, isn't Trump the heartless man that kicks old ladies into the street to build a statue of himself?

Adam,

Have you noticed the news about Trump no longer feeling bound by his pledge to support the GOP candidate?

Several high-profile GOP honchos, including the last candidate, said they will not vote for Trump should he be the nominee. What's the tone in the press? Take that, Trump!

You have a group of GOP insiders who made an entire StopTrump movement. They say they won't vote for Trump if he is nominated and they openly hope to steal the election from him. Some even say they will vote for Hillary if Trump is the nominee. What's the tone in the press? Take that, Trump!

Ted Cruz goes lawyerly on his pledge and says he can't support yada yada yada. Does Priebus come down on him or anything? No. What's the tone in the press? Take that, Trump!

Kasich says he doesn't feel bound to honor his word. Does Priebus come down on him or anything? No. What's the tone in the press? Take that, Trump!

So finally Trump says, enough. He won't be bound, either. What's the tone in the press? Look what a lying rat Trump is!

Don't these media idiots think average people see this?

Dayaamm!

Michael

I have to admit that I am actually not as shocked as I expected to be if the snakes started to writhe with pain and strike out at anything.

Pretty sad to see your country sold out this way by people expecting the citizens to get down on their knees and take it.

This could get very ugly this summer.

A...

50 minutes ago, Peter said:

By joining the Tea Party, you are taking a stand for our nation. You will be upholding the grand principles set forth in the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

15 Non-negotiable Core Beliefs.

1. Illegal aliens are here illegally.
2. Pro-domestic employment is indispensable.
3. A strong military is essential.
4. Special interests must be eliminated.
5. Gun ownership is sacred.
6. Government must be downsized.

7. The national budget must be balanced.
8. Deficit spending must end.
9. Bailout and stimulus plans are illegal.
10. Reducing personal income taxes is a must.
11. Reducing business income taxes is mandatory.
12. Political offices must be available to average citizens.
13. Intrusive government must be stopped.
14. English as our core language is required.
15. Traditional family values are encouraged.

Among other things, I'm concerned about #5. I believe that there should be absolute separation of church and guns. Plus, I'm worried about #12, since it doesn't say that political offices must be available to citizens who are above and below average. Therefore, I am resigning my membership with the Tea Party immediately! (I learned this kind of discerning purity from my Objectivist and libertarian friends.) :cool:

REB

10 minutes ago, Selene said:

I have to admit that I am actually not as shocked as I expected to be if the snakes started to writhe with pain and strike out at anything.

Pretty sad to see your country sold out this way by people expecting the citizens to get down on their knees and take it.

This could get very ugly this summer.

Let me know when you set up the guessing thread for how many casualties (specifically guessing deaths is too gruesome) there are going to be at each of the major party conventions this summer. Also, how many of the same protestors will be at both conventions. Also, how much George Soros will spend financing the disruption of those conventions, and whether he will spend more in Philadelphia or Cleveland. Also, whether there will be a third-party ticket headed by Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders, and what day they will announce. These would be fun things to guess on and might distract us from some of the ugliness, of which I expect there will be no shortage, as you also suggest. :(

REB