Donald Trump

The most recent Sam Harris podcast gives a roundabout backhanded endorsement of Trump.  On the subject of the Brussels attack, he openly admits that Trump identifies the problem while Clinton is lying.  To be sure, he made it clear he thinks Trump is dangerously unqualified (perhaps to mollify the anti Trump faction listening to the podcast).  

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/ask-me-anything-4

Michael wrote:  I'm sure Trump's claim will be fact-checked with GQ. If true, it kinda makes hash out of Cruz's protestations of innocence . . . .  And, in my view, he has great reason to counterpunch as hard as he can.  end quote

IF TRUE, Michael. But behaving dishonorably is not covered under my Ethics insurance policy. Trump or any political candidate should not knowingly pass along an untruth. This isn’t the halftime at a football game where the players plan their end runs, and fakes for the second half. I hold Trump to the same standards I hold Cruz or Hillary.  

Jon wrote: Peter, For Cruz? The h̶o̶o̶k̶e̶r̶ bible thumper? Never. end quote

Jon? This is your conscience speaking. None of the story is true about Cruz until it is proven true. You should not repeat an untruth. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour" (Exodus 20:16, the eighth Commandment). Proverbs 10:18, "He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.

And “If a ruler hearken to lies, all his servants are wicked." Proverbs 30:6. So Jon, if your ruler is lying, you his willing servant, shalt not pass on the lie lest thee be a serpent. So what can you do, Jon? At least take the pledge Saint Peter has provided.

Anyone but Ted until no one is left but Ted even if that is brought about by an open convention. It is the way things worketh and there is nothing unworthy of winning at the convention IF no one else has clinched the necessary votes before the convention.

I was at astonished at how many passages about lying were in the bible. You would think it was worse than murder. And this, from people who made stuff up for a living!

Anyone but Trump unless there is no one left but Trump.

Peter

There were 3 pages of quotes about lying at this bible web site. This is a condensed  version.  

Leviticus 19:11, "Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another." Job 13:4, "But ye are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value." Job 24:25, "...who will make me a liar, and make my speech nothing worth?" Psalms 31:18, "Let the lying lips be put to silence;" Psalms 52:2-4, "Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue Proverbs 12:19, "The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment." Proverbs 12:22, "Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight." Proverbs 13:5, "A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame." Proverbs 14:5, "A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies." Jeremiah 7:4, "Trust ye not in lying words," Jeremiah 7:8-9, "Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit. Will ye…swear falsely…and walk after other gods…?" Ezekiel 13:8, "Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Because ye have spoken vanity, and seen lies, therefore, behold, I am against you, saith the Lord GOD." Ezekiel 13:19, "And will ye pollute me among my people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread, to slay the souls that should not die, and to save the souls alive that should not live, by your lying to my people that hear your lies?" Ezekiel 13:22-23, "Because with lies ye have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life: Therefore ye shall see no more vanity, nor divine divinations: for I will deliver my people out of your hand: and ye shall know that I am the LORD." Ezekiel 22:28, "And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken." Jonah 2:8, "They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy." Micah 6:12-13, "…the inhabitants thereof have spoken lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth. Therefore also will I make thee sick in smiting thee, in making thee desolate because of thy sins." Nahum 3:1, "Woe to the bloody city! it is all full of lies" Zephaniah 3:13, "The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth:" Matthew 15:19, "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts…false witness…These are the things which defile a man: " Acts 26:25, "But he [Paul] said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness." Romans 1:24-25, "…through the lusts of their own hearts…Who changed the truth of God into a lie," end quote

The best part about religion is the book being the word of god. What an over-sale! I mean, Imagine for a moment picking up and reading a book actually written by the creator of the universe.

And then you see it's all about not being a liar or jealous your neighbor has more goats.

Thanks for being such a good sport, Jon. May I call you John without causing that irked feeling? I am so used to the H in your name, that I know I am going to slip up sooner or later.

I have been waiting for something. A true spontaneous chant and fervor over a candidate and after one of Bernie Sander's three recent wins and he has won five out of the last six, he held a rally and there it was. The crowd starting chanting, BERNIE! BERNIE! BERNIE! And it was genuine. I would put a subtitle beneath it and add, We want to live in Sweden or Cuba, so burden me, burden me. A guy from the Daily Standard is just saying Bernie can't win but Hillary must include Bernie as one of her possible VP picks. 

The Doctors on Fox were just advising you guys to get a PSA test. Eric, one of the Fox news guys showed his PSA for four years going back to 2009 and he ranged from 1.4 to 2 point something and you need to recheck and worry only if it goes over 4.0. I looked at my VA records from last February and mine was zero point eight which is very good. Gett'er done.

Peter    

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I hold Trump to the same standards I hold Cruz or Hillary.

Peter,

Apparently not because you seem to excuse proven lies by Cruz and attribute lies to Trump when there is no evidence of them.

At least, according to the way you are arguing, your lying standard is very different. Cruz has a low bar for you and Trump has an impossible one.

Michael

Here are some some interesting comments on policy and Cruz. For those who think of Cruz as a constitutionalist of integrity, it might be a good idea to look again.

Trump Senior Policy Adviser Stephen Miller: The Moment Ted Cruz Threw in with the Globalists
by Diana West 
Her blog
February 28, 2016

From the article:

West said:

Trump senior policy adviser Stephen Miller, late of Sen. Jeff Sessions' staff, went on with Breitbart News Saturday Stephen K. Bannon, as reported here (including audio).

. . .

Cruz has moved from the globalist position to the nationalist position on Syrian refugess (for to against), Obamatrade (for to against), H1B visas (from calling for expansion to calling for a moratorium), birthright citizenship (from waste of conservative time to must end it). Now he even calls for a "wall that works." In this way, Cruz has moved to occupy brand new political terrain that Donald Trump by himself opened up ...

. . .

Here is my unofficial transcript of Miller's relevant remarks:

"... But I would note on immigration, if we're going to get into that with Ted Cruz, he voted for fast track powers for Obama. If you're concerned about the Constitution, if you're concerned about the arrival of foreign workers, the idea that you would enmesh the US permanently in a transnational union that hands over sovereign United States power to foreign countries, dictating labor-enviromental-regulation-trade-commercial-immigration policy, then clearly, immigration and the Constitution are not as important to you as you suggest."

The logic is clear if shocking. What "consistent orginalist" would ever even consider supporting such a Constitution-gutting move?

. . .

Miller:

"To say that a candidate is good except for giving Obama fast track powers (obviously there's a lot more problem with Cruz's resume that that) but if you're argument is, well, I like Cruz except that he gave Obama unlimited fast track powers -- that's like saying, I bought a great new car. The engine will explode in 60 seconds after I turn it on; but other than that it's great."

There's a lot more interesting stuff in West's analysis.

Between that and his "Bush marriage" to Heidi, and her Goldman Sachs/Federal Reserve/Council on Foreign Relations connections, it makes you wonder how much of Cruz is orchestrated image for public consumption and how much is Tea Party-like integrity.

Michael

Michael wrote:  At least, according to the way you are arguing, your lying standard is very different. Cruz has a low bar for you and Trump has an impossible one. end quote

That kerfuffle about Carson dropping out just before the vote was unfortunate. And it did originate from Cruz’s campaign. He did not tolerate it. I also don’t tolerate it. The pictures of Melania are not fakes. Trump has said all the things he has said.

My one daughter who is still a Trump supporter started quoting what Cruz’s SUPPOSED two mistresses were saying and I had to get her to remember that the National Enquirer is tied into Trump and it lies continuously. My wife’s opinion of the Nat. Enq. is that it finds one fact and fabricates the rest sometimes for malicious reasons and I agree. I think I mentioned some of the incredible headlines from that rag. Obama had sex in the back of the limo with a homeless man, Hillary had lesbian encounters (who knows?), Tom Cruises house of horrors, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt divorce papers from what they call it ‘$480 million court battle.’ Kim Kardashian Exploding Butt Implants, etc.

Don’t use that rag as proof even if they have gotten 100 things right. It is not honest. Joke. Can you be an Objectivist if you quote a proven liar without proof?

Peter

Notes: From: Ellen Stuttle, To: atlantis. subject: ATL: Re: The facts of reality - Bill and GeorgeDate: Sat, 19 May 2001 19:26:35 -0400.

Ellen Moore says: >Perhaps this post will annoy you both [Bill and George]:

Perhaps this post will annoy everyone concerned.

Insofar as I think I understand the view of "fact" which EM is presenting (and, Ellen M., I usually do have trouble understanding your posts, make of this whatever epistemological sins on my part you will), I think I agree with *her* viewpoint -- though I disagree that there aren't ambiguities in what Rand said during the seminar.

Indeed, I have some additional evidence for believing that Rand herself viewed "fact" as metaphysical, indirect evidence: At about the same time as her epistemology seminar, I guest-attended a seminar on the philosophy of science which Leonard Peikoff was giving at Brooklyn Polytechnic (he was on the faculty there at the time).  To the best of my recollection -- and Larry, who also attended LP's seminar, has the same recollection -- Peikoff presented "fact" as metaphysical, and I doubt that he'd have enunciated a view which

I can no longer think of Cruz without seeing Lindsey Graham, (who is currently telling the world he supports Cruz for Presdient,) just a short time ago saying that if Ted were murdered on the Senate floor, no one would care enough about it to press charges.

Anyone call for his resignation?

No, of course not, all he did was name his pet murder victim.

These people promoting Cruz, they hate Cruz to the core, they are going to grind Ted up and spit him out, as they have done to every potential disruptor of their Oligarchy.

Don't legitimize them and The Steal at Cleveland. They're using you. Don't be a tool.

Vote Trump.

21 hours ago, Jon Letendre said:

"Decency" is how Hillary gets elected. All that "one shouldn't discuss such things" bullshit is how the monsters keep getting in.

Hear, hear!

Douchelord Paul Ryan has been showing up a lot on my news sources the past few days with the attitude that Trump is dragging politics down to a new level of ugliness and vulgarity. Ryan apparently believes that the entire history of politics up until now has been sweet and innocent and respectful. How is he forgetting all of the vicious smear ads and horrific fear-mongering campaigns that have been successfully waged by Democrats against Republicans, including the one in which they portrayed Ryan as shoving granny off a cliff? He has sold his soul and has become one of the monsters who are demanding that candidates should be softer and more dainty and dignified when opposing them. He's doing a 180 and totally betraying his previously stated ideology and long-held convictions faster than anyone I've ever seen in politics. Power-hungry fuckhead.

Check this out:

https://sojo.net/articles/watch-paul-ryan-publicly-repents-past-comments-about-poor

I keep reading Objectivists looking down their noses at Trump, and saying that we need candidates who are much more intellectually serious and ideologically dedicated to the principles of liberty. Yeah. You mean like Paul Ryan, who just a few years ago was a vocal advocate of Ayn Rand's ideas, but who, now that he has become a powerful "taker," is saying  that he was wrong in his opinions about "takers" versus "makers"?

Ryan started distancing himself from Rand when he was being vetted for the VP slot on Romney's ticket, and that's also when he started not fighting back.

I think the dignity pose and the decency display in politics is, much more often than not, nothing but a revelation that you've been corrupted, and have abandoned the fight, for the sake of maintaining or enhancing the position and power you've achieved by promising the voters that you'd be fighting against the very idea of position and power.

J

Correct Jonathan, and well stated!

Part of their scam now is to prevent opposition by culturally prohibiting not just the words required to articulate an opposition, but attitudes, too. So anger is unacceptable now (for those on the right.)

Imagine if anger had been culturally unacceptable in 1775.

And it is truly depressing to see so many people who should know better, not knowing better.

Phil Houston is CEO of QVerity, a training and consulting company specializing in detecting deception by employing a model he developed while at the Central Intelligence Agency...

"Behaviorally, when the facts are the ally of an individual, he or she almost always tends to focus on the facts of the matter at hand. In this case, if the key fact was that he had not had these affairs, Cruz would almost certainly have been much more strongly focused on the denial. That is, he very likely would have made a point of explicitly stating something along the lines of, “I did not have these affairs.”

"Yet at no point in either statement did Cruz say that. He implied it by saying the allegations are false, and that they’re lies, but behaviorally, such statements are not equivalent to saying he never had the affairs. Even if we were to overlook that fact and consider his statements to be a denial, there is an overwhelmingly higher proportion of attack behavior compared to the effort expended at denial. This type of lopsided attack-to-denial ratio is very consistent with what we have historically seen with deceptive people when allegations are levied against them."

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/behavior-experts-ted-cruz-appears-deceptive-in-response-to-sex-scandal/

Rafael has an interesting mechanical pattern with his head focus...

he goes left right left right constantly and rhythmically - at least in the clip in your article. 

I have to check some of his other speeches.

Good find J.

A...

39 minutes ago, Selene said:

he goes left right left right constantly and rhythmically - at least in the clip in your article. 

Good find J.

A...

Yes, I see it.

Maybe he is consciously imposing that pattern in order to prevent showing natural ones after someone on his team familiar with NLP noticed something.

12 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

Yes, I see it.

Maybe he is consciously imposing that pattern in order to prevent showing natural ones after someone on his team familiar with NLP noticed something.

Agreed. 

His annoying pattern of tapping the podium during the debate would have been removed if I was his speech trainer. 

Not much Rafael can do about the "look" on his face that makes you want to have your children stand behind you when he is in front of you.

A...

Post Script:  Full disclosure, my biggest problem with completely abandoning Rafael is Mark Levin.  I have tremendous blinders on when it comes to Mark who is a hero of mine.

4 hours ago, Peter said:

That kerfuffle about Carson dropping out just before the vote was unfortunate. And it did originate from Cruz’s campaign. He did not tolerate it. I also don’t tolerate it.

Peter,

You guys have a funny way of not tolerating stuff.

I guess I'm a little more intolerant when I don't tolerate things.

:)

For instance, I no longer tolerate the establishment killing young Americans and others in Endless War for profit while calling it freedom and "American values." (That's just one grievance among many.) I see someone, Trump, who wants to something about it and has a resume to back it up. Now he has a real shot at getting the power to do it.

So I support him. Openly. Without pain or fear or guilt.

I want those other morons out of there. Including Cruz. I used to think he was OK on the constitution and things like that. But the more I learn about him, the more my warning bells go off. I'm honestly beginning to think he's a last-ditch Trojan Horse of the establishment. Plan B.

If Trump starts stealing votes, you will see how I don't tolerate that. It won't be by saying I don't tolerate it while counting up the votes and acting innocent.

EDIT: Give it a couple of days, Peter, and let some new news kick in. There's always something and a new election is coming April 5. You know, deep in your heart, you want to be on the Trump Train. Even if you feel you shouldn't, you know you want it. So live a little. It's OK to give it up and get on board. :) 

Michael

I loved Ted Cruz. He wanted to fight and "shut down the government" and keep fighting. It seemed like he was the only one who wanted to fight, The GOP leadership was horrible. Obama would spend extra to shut down a park, more than keeping it open costs, and the leadership, "oh look the media is reporting that we are terrible people, gosh we don't have a chance, we have to give up before it gets worse for us."

But before any of this stuff between him and Trump even started, I understood that Ted Cruz would never become President and the place where he could be most effective was in the Senate.

47 minutes ago, Jon Letendre said:

1 hour ago, Jon Letendre said:
1 hour ago, Selene said:

Good find J.

A...

Yes, I see it.

I suspect he's constantly scanning both sides of the room to see if any of his girlfriends are there and are getting ready to make a scene and expose his multiple infidelities. Not NLP, just garden variety guilty behavior by someone who is suffering from Bill Cosby syndrome and fears they are about to be busted.

More generally, everyone knows that people who talk about their religion in public are really big phonies and hypocrites, and that they cheat, lie, and betray others to the approximate proportion that they say what a bad thing such behavior is. Surely this applies to Ted Cruz - and to Glenn Beck, who likes him.

FDR campaigned in 1932 about what a horrible economic interventionist Hoover was (he was, but hardly comparable to what FDR unleashed once elected). LBJ campaigned in 1964 about what a horrible warmonger Goldwater was (he was no pacifist, but again hardly comparable to LBJ's putting 55,000 American soldiers through the meatgrinder of Vietnam). Example 3 is left as an exercise for the reader.

Surely Ted Cruz is no better than these blighters. He's a politician and a Christian - plus crazy Glenn Beck likes him. Beware.

REB

P.S. - I do not plan to vote for either of the major party candidates this fall, no matter who they are. Screw 'em all, including Lyin' Ted and Crazy Burnie.

P.P.S. - When all else fails, check your premises. There may be an intruder.

10 minutes ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

On a lighter happier note, a message from the incoming First Lady:

:)

Michael

Our incoming First Lady has good taste. I especially like the tasteful blue dress and attractive hat. She seems to have The Donald's basket well in hand, too. 

REB

20 minutes ago, Roger Bissell said:

More generally, everyone knows that people who talk about their religion in public are really big phonies and hypocrites, and that they cheat, lie, and betray others to the approximate proportion that they say what a bad thing such behavior is. Surely this applies to Ted Cruz - and to Glenn Beck, who likes him.P.P.S. - When all else fails, check your premises. There may be an intruder.

This statement is untrue and speaks to a problem of over generalization which results in poor conclusions on a deductive "P" particular matter.

Generalization to the particular fails when the generalization is poorly arrived at with poor Inductive particulars that led to the generalization.

All "people who talk about religion in public are really big phonies and hypocrites" ...really?

A...