Best Songs for Crying

syrakusos

I came across a duet of this song with Dionne and Gloria Estephan? with some salsa but I like the original better.  What a wonderful moment in time when these three superb artists came together.

Walk On By” Lyrics by Hal David, music by Burt Bacharach and sung by Dionne Warwick 

If you see me walking down the street
And I start to cry each time we meet
Walk on by, walk on by

Make believe
That you don't see the tears
Just let me grieve
In private 'cause each time I see you
I break down and cry
And walk on by
(Don't stop)
And walk on by
(Don't stop)
And walk on by . . . .

I hear this in commercials all the time, especially the part about a minute into the duet and then near the end. This is the first version that popped up on the net. Just type in the address below or just Flower Duet.

Delibes: Lakmé - Duo des fleurs (Flower Duet), Sabine Devieilhe & Marianne Crebassa

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Peter,

I embedded it for you.

If you want to embed a video from YouTube, go to the YouTube video on YouTube and copy the URL at the top. (Select it and hit Ctrl C)

image.png

Then paste (Ctrl V) that into your post on OL and hit enter.

If you are on an Apple computer, use the Apple key instead of Ctrl.

It should embed automatically.

:) 

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I embedded it for you.

Thank you, Michael. I tried the "replica" you embedded but it doesn't work but the one you embedded in my contribution / email, did. I listened to it again. Very sad and wistful.   

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I tried the "replica" you embedded but it doesn't work but the one you embedded in my contribution / email, did.

Peter,

I did not embed a replica. I posted a screenshot without embedding a link in it. I was merely giving instructions.

If you click on the screenshot, it will not play any video since there is no link to any video in it.

Now...

If you go to YouTube and copy the URL as given in the screenshot, you will be able to post that URL into an OL post you want to make and it will embed the video in your post.

The video I embedded in your post worked because it was supposed to work. I embedded it in your post using the method I just gave in the screenshot.

Michael

EDIT: btw - I have mixed feelings about Christine and the Queens. I read some about her and listened to several YouTube videos. I like some things and dislike others. It's odd, but I find no middle in her. Just really good or really bad. Often in the same song.

Outside of that, I loathe the gender crap.

However, I really like that she was inspired by Michael Jackson without turning into an imitator. She took his movements and approach and made them her own. She is her own artist and that is a good thing.

Also, I find her approach to portraying emotions with subtlety and ambiguity very similar to a book called "The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows."

The videos in the playlist below are not music, merely readings from the book. But if you listen to a few, you will see what I mean. Christine--to me--captures that spirit.

Michael

3 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

If you go to YouTube and copy the URL as given in the screenshot, you will be able to post that URL into an OL post you want to make and it will embed the video in your post.

Another tear jerker:

5 hours ago, Backlighting said:

Another tear jerker:

B,

Man, did you bring back memories. 

I never met Astrud and I stayed away from her first husband, João Gilberto (called the inventor of bossa nova) because he was the epitome of irrationalism. He often flew into tantrums over nothing. The mythology was his super-sensitive nature regarding sound. He even walked out of concerts because a couple of people in the audience were talking. But, nah... he would fly off the handle about most anything.

Friggin' spoiled pop artist. That's what he was. :) 

During Astrud's episode with saxophonist, Stan Getz, the going quip was: What Stan wants, Stan Getz. :) 

However, I hung around with a guy in their orbit for about a year. Or better, he showed up in my life one day and stuck there for a while. :) This was around the time I was producing pop artists.

His name was Octávio Tercerio. This literally translates as Eighth the Third. :) 

Because of your post, I looked him up online and was sad to see he passed away in 2020. Here is an article in Globo (Brazilian newspaper). Unfortunately, it is in Portuguese, but it has a good photo of Octávio as I remember him.

OGLOBO.GLOBO.COM

Ele tinha 84 anos e estava internado há um mês em razão de um AVC

I never got into the bossa nova scene, neither as musician nor as a producer. Had I done so, it would have been with Octávio. btw - He was batshit crazy, but in a polite way. :) 

But then again, so was I back then, just not so polite.

Michael

Michael,

The year was 1968. I was in the Army, stationed in Yokohama. A friend there had an extra ticket to see Astrud perform at a military club in Tokyo. When I entered the club I saw Astrud, with a band member, behind a table signing autographs. It was a short line so I got in it. I presented my ticket stub to Astrud and said hello. She smiled and told the person with her that "this one looks like Paul McCartney". I stayed for the entire show. She sang exactly like her recordings...soft and sweet. I liked the bossa nova sound and discovered Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66.  I still, on occasion, play some of Astruds and Sergios cds.

Astrud died recently, June 5, 2023. Sergio is alive and 83 yrs old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Backlighting said:

The year was 1968. I was in the Army, stationed in Yokohama.

Very interesting. My Dad was in charge of munitions at Sasebo Naval Base in 1966 and I lived there for a while, maybe a little over half a year. And then I moved to Madison Lane at UVA in Charlottesville to camp out in my brother’s apartment. I looked at some recent photos of Sasebo just now and only the gate seemed familiar.