Russia playing hide & seek

Is it just another slap in Barry's face or intel seeking--or both?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/pentagon-russian-spy-ship-tug-operating-near-u-s/

Joe,

Add this:

Exclusive: Putin Halts All Talks With White House
by Josh Rogin
April 25, 2014
The Daily Beast

From the article:

Since the invasion of Crimea, President Vladimir Putin and President Barack Obama have had regular phone calls in an often half-hearted attempt to deescalate the ongoing crisis inside Ukraine. But as the U.S. and EU prepare to unveil new sanctions against Russia, Putin has decided the interactions should stop. The Kremlin has ended high-level contact with the Obama administration, according to diplomatic officials and sources close to the Russian leadership. The move signals an end to the diplomacy, for now.

Michael

Is it just another slap in Barry's face or intel seeking--or both?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/pentagon-russian-spy-ship-tug-operating-near-u-s/

Seems like a non-left publication...

“How stands the city on this winter night? More prosperous, more secure, and happier than it was eight years ago. But more than that: After 200 years, two centuries, she still stands strong and true on the granite ridge, and her glow has held steady no matter what storm. And she’s still a beacon, still a magnet for all who must have freedom, for all the pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness, toward home.”

—Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, January 11, 1989

That is the lead quote on their "about us" link.

Then:

The Washington Free Beacon, a project of the 501©4 Center for American Freedom, is a nonprofit online newspaper that began publication on February 7, 2012. Dedicated to uncovering the stories that the professional left hopes will never see the light of day, the Free Beacon produces in-depth and investigative reporting on a wide range of issues, including public policy, government affairs, international security, and media criticism. Whether it’s exposing cronyism, dissecting the relationship between the progressive movement and the mainstream media, finding out just who is shaping our domestic and foreign policy and why, or highlighting the threats to American security and peace in a dangerous world, the Free Beacon is committed to serving the public interest by reporting news and information that currently is not being fully covered by other news organizations.

The Beacon’s editor in chief is Matthew Continetti. Sonny Bunch is the managing editor. Bill Gertz is senior editor.

So why was this "leaked" to them now?

A...

Michael,

The Russian Godfather is relentless.

Adam,

First time on that site for me & your question begs an answer.

Michael,

Adam,

All I know is that this "President" is the least qualified person ever to assume the office.

I am not sure he a) knows what is happening; b) cares about it; and c) has any cohesive foreign policy at all.

I get no cohesive read and if I were Putin I would advance at optimal speed and pressure him from all sides which is apparently what is happening.

A...

Michael,

Adam,

All I know is that this "President" is the least qualified person ever to assume the office.

I am not sure he a) knows what is happening; b) cares about it; and c) has any cohesive foreign policy at all.

I get no cohesive read and if I were Putin I would advance at optimal speed and pressure him from all sides which is apparently what is happening.

A...

Add to that he may just be doing what his "advisers" recommend.

If you remember, Barry, when he was a Senator, rarely voted on anything. Decision making is something he hates.

He truly disgusts me.

Add to that he may just be doing what his "advisers" recommend.

If you remember, Barry, when he was a Senator, rarely voted on anything. Decision making is something he hates.

He truly disgusts me.

Yes, he would vote "present" I believe.

You can't vote present in reality.

Worst part is no one seems to know who his "advisors" are. Supposedly, the wealthy connected woman from Chicago Valerie Jarret:

s-jarrett-large.jpg?w=460

She wears sunglasses so you can't see her glowing red eyes...

A...

Who is Valerie Jarrett?

Valerie Jarrett is “the fixer”; her latest assignment was to smooth all rough patches out of Barack Obama’s presidential campaign. Jarrett was an early and influential Obama-backer and remains extremely loyal to him. She has been in politics much of her adult life–running various top agencies for Mayor Richard M. Daley. Moreover, she’s made her mark in the private sector, where she’s currently CEO of real estate developer The Habitat Co. and is highly-regarded within Chicago’s political and corporate circles. It is impressive enough to be known for solutions in Chicago politics, but is also a close friend and confidant of Obama and his wife Michelle. Her background is almost a week of study from African American history 101.

Ms. Jarrett was born in Shiraz, Iran, in 1956, and educated at a New England prep school. But while Mr. Obama was once an outsider in Chicago’s black community, Ms. Jarrett was a member of its royalty. Her great-grandfather was the first African-American to graduate from M.I.T., her grandfather was the first black man to head the Chicago Housing Authority, and her father was the first black resident at St. Luke’s Hospital. Though Ms. Jarrett has never worked in Washington, her great-uncle is Vernon Jordan, the well-known Democratic power broker.

No wonder she hates America...lol...

http://turbocratic.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/the-female-michael-clayton-barack-obama-names-valerie-jarrett-senior-whitehouse-advisor/

This is an ecxcellent analysis, even though it is somewhat depressing, of the increasing probability that Russia is going into the Eastern Ukraine.

Putin’s rationale for a Crimea grab in many ways is counter-intuitive. By seizing the Crimea, Moscow has essentially guaranteed that western Ukraine, already predisposed towards the West, will recoil at the idea of any future Russian involvement in the country. Even without deploying its military forces, Russia already possessed a rich array of options for destabilizing Ukraine. Ukraine depends on Russia for energy, trade, and even the occasional bailout. And as recent events have demonstrated, Russia has few qualms about using its influence among its local compatriots as levers to be exercised. Yet despite these considerable mechanisms, Moscow has chosen intervention.

The author then explains that:

Russian President Vladimir Putin may not be able to keep a united Ukraine from continuing its Westward drift, but it can certainly cause enough trouble to make Western integration a much more difficult proposition. Just as it did in Moldova and in Georgia in the 1990s, Russia is establishing zones of contestation within Ukraine that it can use as leverage. Eastern Ukraine is that leverage. Neither NATO nor the European Union, Russia calculates, will invite a country that is torn asunder, with wide swaths pledging allegiance to Russia (or some Moscow-appointed, minor local potentate).

The author lays out three (3) policy options, again this is dated in March I believe...

First, while it is currently unclear what “targeted sanctions” looks like, Western states should be prepared to give them some genuine bite. In-force Magnitsky List legislation already provides mechanisms for sanctioning Russian human rights violators. The List’s current membership is embarrassingly small, but it could be rapidly expanded to include a much more representative cross-section of the Russian leadership. Europe, for its part, ought to adopt similar legislation on the national or trans-national level to give the List a necessary multiplying effect. Other, broader economic sanctions should also be considered and employed. That would be a start.

Second, as Admiral James Stavridis counsels, NATO should be put on high alert and be prepared to assist Kyiv with intelligence and logistics, particularly in the event of a full-scale Russian invasion into mainland Ukraine.[8] As an added measure, NATO should also reinforce its regular Baltic Air Sovereignty mission with additional, frontline fighters such as the F-22 or Eurofighter Typhoon. This would at once reassure our Baltic allies while broadcasting Alliance resolve to defend its members.

Third, NATO should begin immediate preparations to bring Georgia into NATO.[9] While involving Georgia may not at first appear to be an especially meaningful response to events in Ukraine, beginning the process of Georgian accession would send a clear message to Moscow that it cannot use its military forces as a de facto veto over its neighbors’ foreign policy choices. Georgia is a strong friend to the West: it is among the largest contributors to the Afghanistan mission, its well-regarded forces have recently agreed to join the EU military mission in Central African Republic, and it has already begun integrating into NATO’s rapid reaction force. By just about any measure, Georgia is ready to join the Atlantic alliance. It’s past time to make that happen, particularly in light of Russia’s aggressive moves in Ukraine.[10]

http://www.eurasiareview.com/04032014-russian-invasion-ukraine-analysis/

Janes Defense Weekly...

On March 5, Jane's Defense Weekly ran an analysis of Russian troop movements near Ukraine and noted similarities with the USSR's special operations campaign in 1979 before the full invasion of the country. "A significant indicator of Russia's next steps would be the arrival in Crimea of personnel from Moscow's GCHQ-NSA equivalent organization, previously titled the Federal Agency of Government Communications and Information (FAPSI), to carry forward the situation," Jane's wrote. In the last seven weeks, two recordings of high profile telephone conversations featuring European Union and U.S. officials have mysteriously surfaced on the Internet, suggesting Russia's technical intelligence services have been active during the Ukraine crisis...

http://www.jrtelegraph.com/2014/03/russian-invasion-of-eastern-ukraine-is-already-underway.html

Putin plays chess...

...while Obama plays checkers.

Greg

Putin plays poker...while Obama plays whist.

(Didn't it used to be a prerequiste for the President to be a seasoned poker player?

I'm sure there some I heard of, having a regular game in the White House, too!)

Putin plays chess...

...while Obama plays checkers.

Greg

Putin plays poker...while Obama plays whist.

(Didn't it used to be a prerequiste for the President to be a seasoned poker player?

I'm sure there some I heard of, having a regular game in the White House, too!)

FDR is one. One of the regular players brought up one or two of his SCOTUS nominations.

What always fascinates me about bringing these questions up is this "fictitious" imaging of Apollian character in Presidents of the US.

Please...

They are men, all men have faults, therefore all men are whales oops, well you understand...

Brant made me write that last sentence.

A....

Tony writes:

Didn't it used to be a prerequisite for the President to be a seasoned poker player?

Obama sure is doing a lot of bluffing... :laugh:

...and Putin knows it.

Greg

Greg:

As you know, I respect your positions on ethics.

However, I would ask you to tone it down on this one.

I have friends in the field and they are dedicated to protecting you and I.

A...

Adam writes:

As you know, I respect your positions on ethics.

However, I would ask you to tone it down on this one.

I have friends in the field and they are dedicated to protecting you and I.

It's not a bad reflection on your friends that their Commander in Chief is a weak spineless feminized liberal male instead of a decent morally strong American man.

And remember, the fault never rests in just one man. Obama only represents the dominant attitude of the political majority in this nation.

It's not just a weak immoral President...

it's a weak immoral nation.

And in no sleight to your friends in the field. I tell you, If the "separation of church and state" secularists keep getting their way in expunging all references to God from the public eye...

...America will LOSE it's moral protection from evil.

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

--Alexis de Tocqueville

Right here and now we are witnessing America ceasing to be good.

Greg

"America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great."

--Alexis de Tocqueville

Right here and now we are witnessing America ceasing to be good.

Greg

At one level, you are correct, assuming your term "America" equals "the centralized state."

However, approximately 25% of the eligible voters control the Congress, Senate and Presidency.

That is not my America because my America is an individual neighbor, friend, family member, etc.

Good man de Tocqueville.

Should be required reading for any open minded educational system.

This was a young man from royalty and his pal from France [around the time France started the longest losing streak in wars], who were sent to study the American prison system.

His observations about the wondrous republic that we created and his realizations about it's survivability are clear.

A great read.

I know that 99% of the folks that I have met are decent folks.

Sometimes they are in situations that are not pretty. However, every person can redeem themselves when they chose too.

A...

Lord Protektor Obama makes Jimmy Carter look good by comparison.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Adam writes:

At one level, you are correct, assuming your term "America" equals "the centralized state."

In my view, that "centralized state" with an adolescent leftist dopesmoker at the helm is only a symptom...

...a just and deserved consequence of hundreds of millions of irresponsible people who have completely failed to govern themselves.

However, approximately 25% of the eligible voters control the Congress, Senate and Presidency.

Good point, Adam. It was about the same ratio for the 1700's American Revolution.

That is not my America because my America is an individual neighbor, friend, family member, etc.

We're on the same page...

The real America is everything and everyone around you with whom you have direct personal contact. The Americans with whom I choose to associate share my moral values.

Good man de Tocqueville.

Should be required reading for any open minded educational system.

Well, that's NOT the US government subsidized education system. Uuniversities are secular leftist medrasas who are cranking out thousands of America-hating Marxist jihadis every year.

This was a young man from royalty and his pal from France [around the time France started the longest losing streak in wars], who were sent to study the American prison system.

His observations about the wondrous republic that we created and his realizations about it's survivability are clear.

A great read.

Alexis witnessed first hand the moral goodness that made America exceptionally great in contrast to the rest of the world. That moral goodness is evaporating as we speak.

I know that 99% of the folks that I have met are decent folks.

Same here. This is because everyone naturally associates with those who share their moral values.

Better build an ark right now because the flood is coming...

Greg