Gravity -- A must see!

You have got to see this movie, especially in 3-d. The technical effects will blow your footwear off.

The movie as a very Ayn Randish heroic ending as well.

Ba'al Chatzaf

You have got to see this movie, especially in 3-d. The technical effects will blow your footwear off.

The movie as a very Ayn Randish heroic ending as well.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Just surfaced on Redbox. Looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the heads-up Ba'al

-Joe

• 1 month later...

Saw it today in 3D. Not bad. I agree 100% that she is the engine of her own salvation by overcoming her own fears and limitations. Got that.

They got the orbital mechanics all wrong. It was almost as bad a Star Trek where starships stop in space by shutting down their engines. But not that bad. It is just that the actual dynamics would have gotten in the way of the story (unfortunately).

Look -- the Moon orbits Earth in 28 days. The ISS orbits in like 100 minutes. So, the closer you are, the faster you go. The faster you go, the closer you are. If they fired their rockets to catch up to the space station, they would have dropped lower and lower in orbit. When she shot her rockets downward, she would move "up" in reaction but also behind, i.e., moving slower in orbit. George Clooney zipping around the space shuttle would have needed to fire his jets at right angles to his intended motion.

Still a good movie. I saw it with a friend. My wife asked, "She was rescued?" "She rescued herself!" we replied in unison.

A friend of mine teaches science on the Space Coast. She saw the movie in 3D also. I could not get her interested in the technical problems, just because there were so many. She just told me to read some websites. I did not even consider the actual orbits of the ISS, etc., versus the Space Shuttle. Myself, I knew about but did not think through how the space junk came around "every 90 minutes." It would if you were on Earth looking up, but two bodies orbiting a third are going to have intersections at different times.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this movie recently and loved it. Wish I would have seen it in theaters though. I thought the one part where she emulates a fetus in the womb was a bit ham-fisted but other than that she did a tremendous job acting and I really felt the anxiety and hopelessness. Me and my wife joked about, what if she went through all that and then landed in a war zone and either got shot up or sold into sex slavery. That would have sucked!

Last minute addition: Also the Russians shot down one satelite and instead destroyed the hubble, two multi-billion dollar space stations, a shuttle, the communications grid, and killed like 100 people... man do they have something to answer for!

Just seen it today with the family. It seemed like my dad wanted to see it on a whim. I have no idea what prompted him to want to see it.

Though the science wasn't entirely sound (as mentioned by the above members), this didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. The FX were incredible and seamless. It was amazing to see bits of space debris fly at me from the screen (we paid the extra three dollars per person to see it in 3D; it was totally worth it). The camera movements and 3D animation made me a bit nauseated at times. My empathy with the female protagonist only worsened this sickness. My empathy also created a growing anxiety within me. I felt very uncomfortable watching someone being flung through space. It was an experience I won't soon forget.