Gerardo Hernandez R.I.P.

caroljane

Thanks for the links Adam.

Yes. A 12 gauge semi-auto is included on my top shelf for defensive weapons.

Also, within the confines of a home I like a semi-auto pistol- a .40 cal, .45ACP, .44 mag or .44 Special if only because a rifle is unwieldy in confined areas (hallways, small rooms, stairwells). Money permitting, I would recommend both.

Also, it is, unfortunately, probably going to decay into some close range exchanges, so you want stopping power.

Thanks for the links Adam.

Yes. A 12 gauge semi-auto is included on my top shelf for defensive weapons.

Also, within the confines of a home I like a semi-auto pistol- a .40 cal, .45ACP, .44 mag or .44 Special if only because a rifle is unwieldy in confined areas (hallways, small rooms, stairwells). Money permitting, I would recommend both.

Also, it is, unfortunately, probably going to decay into some close range exchanges, so you want stopping power.

Now this is worth consideration:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

Of course if you live in a dangerous place you must be vigilant. How often do muggers and burglars try to rob you or enter your home?

Daunce,

It must be my Boy Scout & Army training (be prepared). It made sense then & now.

I purchased a tire inflator 5 yrs ago (plugs in to your vehicles cigar/ cigarette/ power outlet). Nice to have if you get a flat.

Happy that I haven't had to use it. Makes sense to me.

Besides defense, a firearm can be used for target shooting, something some people enjoy doing. The ability to hit a fry pan 2 & 3 hockey rinks away it quite challenging. It requires the shooter to research proper aiming, stance, firearms, ballistics, etc. Of course you start at closer distances. The winter Olympics has shooting events. I can say quite assuredly that the participants have put the roadwork in and enjoy what they are doing.

I'm happy I can get 2 benefits from a firearm....defense, which I hope I will never have to use, and fun, which I use frequently. Makes sense to me.

-Joe :)

Very instructive guys. I am glad you will be ready when Ted Kennedy returns from the dead and tries to drown you.

Hey, even the Zombies would not help him.

Joe:

You have to see this video...

the Linux Computer enhanced, $17,000.00 rifle which can guarantee hiting the bull's eye at 10 football fields. Imagine how well your fleet's men on deck will do in their approach to shore with the numbers in his BBB force. Just in case that it gets past some other "difficulties" you might encounter in your crossing.

tp2-downrange-640x426.jpg

My photographer, Steve, squints through a computerized scope squatting atop a big hunting rifle. We're outdoors at a range just north of Austin, Texas, and the wind is blowing like crazy—enough so that we're having to dial in more and more wind adjustment on the rifle's computer. The spotter and I monitor Steve's sight through an iPad linked to the rifle via Wi-Fi, and we can see exactly what he's seeing through the scope. Steve lines up on his target downrange—a gently swinging metal plate with a fluorescent orange circle painted at its center—and depresses a button to illuminate it with the rifle's laser.

"Good tag?" he asks, softly.

"Good tag," replies the spotter, watching on the iPad. He leaves the device in my hands and looks through a conventional high-powered spotting scope at the target Steve has selected. The wind stops momentarily. "Send it," he calls out.

Steve pulls the trigger, but nothing immediately happens. On the iPad's screen, his reticle shifts from blue to red and drifts toward the marked target. Even though I'm expecting it, the rifle's report is startling when it fires.

A second later, the spotter calls out, "That's a hit!"

Steve has just delivered a .338 Lapua Magnum round directly onto a target about the size of a big dinner plate at a range of 1,008 yards—that's ten football fields, or a tick over 0.91 kilometers. It's his very first try. He has never fired a rifle before today.

Almost erotic...lol.

Great video in this article.

http://arstechnica.c...-powered-rifle/

Joe:

You have to see this video...

the Linux Computer enhanced, $17,000.00 rifle which can guarantee hiting the bull's eye at 10 football fields. Imagine how well your fleet's men on deck will do in their approach to shore with the numbers in his BBB force. Just in case that it gets past some other "difficulties" you might encounter in your crossing.

tp2-downrange-640x426.jpg

My photographer, Steve, squints through a computerized scope squatting atop a big hunting rifle. We're outdoors at a range just north of Austin, Texas, and the wind is blowing like crazy—enough so that we're having to dial in more and more wind adjustment on the rifle's computer. The spotter and I monitor Steve's sight through an iPad linked to the rifle via Wi-Fi, and we can see exactly what he's seeing through the scope. Steve lines up on his target downrange—a gently swinging metal plate with a fluorescent orange circle painted at its center—and depresses a button to illuminate it with the rifle's laser.

"Good tag?" he asks, softly.

"Good tag," replies the spotter, watching on the iPad. He leaves the device in my hands and looks through a conventional high-powered spotting scope at the target Steve has selected. The wind stops momentarily. "Send it," he calls out.

Steve pulls the trigger, but nothing immediately happens. On the iPad's screen, his reticle shifts from blue to red and drifts toward the marked target. Even though I'm expecting it, the rifle's report is startling when it fires.

A second later, the spotter calls out, "That's a hit!"

Steve has just delivered a .338 Lapua Magnum round directly onto a target about the size of a big dinner plate at a range of 1,008 yards—that's ten football fields, or a tick over 0.91 kilometers. It's his very first try. He has never fired a rifle before today.

Almost erotic...lol.

Great video in this article.

http://arstechnica.c...-powered-rifle/

Adam,

Great article/video. I saw it recently. Now that would be on my top shelf for long range shooting & fun.

Speaking of fun check out some youtube videos of Hickok45. His property/setup is a wet dream. I love his variety of targets. lol This guy has a sense of humor, is knowledgeable & can shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45/videos

Joe:

This the best LR .22 I have ever owned. I pre-ordered this piece of engineering. I had been following it's development for about a year.

4 lbs.!!!! Nylon stock. No lubricants required. 14 round magazine + 1 in the chamber.

Rear loading tubular magazine that, at first, I thought was an annoyance. Then my two cousins and I thought if we had 5 to ten extra tubes, pre-loaded strapped on my pack, this lovely piece of engineering could deliver 70 to 140 rapid rounds with almost no down time.

Great weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Nylon_66

A...

Joe:

This the best LR .22 I have ever owned. I pre-ordered this piece of engineering. I had been following it's development for about a year.

4 lbs.!!!! Nylon stock. No lubricants required. 14 round magazine + 1 in the chamber.

Rear loading tubular magazine that, at first, I thought was an annoyance. Then my two cousins and I thought if we had 5 to ten extra tubes, pre-loaded strapped on my pack, this lovely piece of engineering could deliver 70 to 140 rapid rounds with almost no down time.

Great weapon.

A...

You guys a friggin' hilarious.

I assume what you are doing is intentional, and almost feel bad for our friend Daunce, but she has a good sense of humor.

I would not rely too heavily on MADD statistics without independent checking. They are a lobby group with their own slant obviously. Their director had some legal problems recently.

Well, that explains everything. I withdraw my argument then.

There are still some things about Canada that I think need to be changed, based on my expert perspective from many thousand miles away, from having watched Canadian TV, and also from my having vacationed there a handful of times. .

Let's start by having Canada adopt a Constitution that places individual rights in their proper context. Then let's add the right to trial by jury, and a right to habeus corpus. I would also think a political structure with precise alignment to ours is in order, protected by a 200+ year history of judicial review of unconstitutional laws.

Why isn't Canada just like America?

Joe:

Great weapon.

A...

Since the topic of firearms seems inappropriate for this thread I have placed it here (see link below) for those interested.

Of course, Daunce is welcome to contribute.

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13832&hl=

I would not rely too heavily on MADD statistics without independent checking. They are a lobby group with their own slant obviously. Their director had some legal problems recently.

Well, that explains everything. I withdraw my argument then.

There are still some things about Canada that I think need to be changed, based on my expert perspective from many thousand miles away, from having watched Canadian TV, and also from my having vacationed there a handful of times. .

Let's start by having Canada adopt a Constitution that places individual rights in their proper context. Then let's add the right to trial by jury, and a right to habeus corpus. I would also thing a political structure with precise alignment to ours is in order, protected by a 200+ year history of judicial review of unconstitutional laws.

Why isn't Canada just like America?

C'mon PDS, no fair using arguments, comparisons, facts and stuff like dat...we igorant southiners to her...

A..

OK PDS, paxss, truce along the border.

I had a long night at my new volunteer job, hanging around the parking lots of local bars and dissuading my fellow Canadians from getting into their cars. Not only did I make a difference in potential DUI statistics, I also collected $43.20 beer money!

OK PDS, paxss, truce along the border.

I had a long night at my new volunteer job, hanging around the parking lots of local bars and dissuading my fellow Canadians from getting into their cars. Not only did I make a difference in potential DUI statistics, I also collected $43.20 beer money!

Aw, darn.