Some nice old photos

That is why in the movie Titanic the correct portion to cry was when we got to see the magnificent engine room.

Dennis

Interesting. That is what moved me the most. The engine room. It was magnificent and state of the art when the ship was built. Also her electrical system was first line and her Marconi Machine was the best transmitter then available. She was built with genius and know how and sunk with arrogance and stupidity.

Take her to sea, Mr. Murdoch. Let's see how fast we can wreck this tub.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Excellent photos. The neighborhood from 1905 looks just like many to this day. Well made buildings and houses didn't change - about everything else did. Dennis

Those were the days. They used to make things in this country.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Typhus, diphtheria, polio, ... It was normal for children to have measles, chicken pox, and rubella. No pPenicillin, no sulpha, in fact, medical science did not even exist because trials and peer review reporting were unknown or uncommon at best. Massingill poisoned people with radiator coolant in cough medicine (accidentally, of course). Birth control was illegal, not just the termination of pregnancy, but condoms. Diaphragms were unmentionable in many places, again, by law. Even teaching a woman about the fertility cycle was illegal.

Racism was considered science, as was eugenics. (Although to be fair, it was the progressives who were worried about the pollution of the American race were the ones pushing to get birth control to the masses... which undercores the fact that your best chance for an intelligent conversation was actually with someone whom you would today regad as your political enemy.)

None of your friends would be Jews. Jews knew to keep to themselves. Ivy League schools limited Jewish enrollments to 10% or fewer less they overwhelm the WASP lads.

Coloreds also had their own separately unequal facilities.

In 1920, the Ku Klux Klan marched in Washington DC without their hoods because they felt not incorrectly that they expressed the mainstream of America.

I understand and appreciate what we lost, but they were not the glory days of the garden of Eden, and you would not want to go back there. (Though I agree about the engine room of the Titanic. I cried there, though not when Jack slipped under the waves, it was for the men who stood their sations, versus the cases today where the crew gets into rafts and abandons the passengers.)

Margaret Sanger would have made a wonderful Nazi. She believed in birth control for Negroes and Poor Whites.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Excellent photos. The neighborhood from 1905 looks just like many to this day. Well made buildings and houses didn't change - about everything else did. Dennis

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Typhus, diphtheria, polio, ... It was normal for children to have measles, chicken pox, and rubella. No pPenicillin, no sulpha, in fact, medical science did not even exist because trials and peer review reporting were unknown or uncommon at best. Massingill poisoned people with radiator coolant in cough medicine (accidentally, of course). Birth control was illegal, not just the termination of pregnancy, but condoms. Diaphragms were unmentionable in many places, again, by law. Even teaching a woman about the fertility cycle was illegal.

Racism was considered science, as was eugenics. (Although to be fair, it was the progressives who were worried about the pollution of the American race were the ones pushing to get birth control to the masses... which undercores the fact that your best chance for an intelligent conversation was actually with someone whom you would today regad as your political enemy.)

None of your friends would be Jews. Jews knew to keep to themselves. Ivy League schools limited Jewish enrollments to 10% or fewer less they overwhelm the WASP lads.

In 1920, the Ku Klux Klan marched in Washington DC without their hoods because they felt not incorrectly that they expressed the mainstream of America.

I understand and appreciate what we lost, but they were not the glory days of the garden of Eden, and you would not want to go back there. (Though I agree about the engine room of the Titanic. I cried there, though not when Jack slipped under the waves, it was for the men who stood their sations, versus the cases today where the crew gets into rafts and abandons the passengers.)

Mike, you are so right. It is perhaps necessary for us to recast the past in the kinder, gentler light as we perceive it in our own time... after all, we are the survivors, the inheritors of all the best of the past. But living there was hideous for a large proportion of humanity; pitiless and brutish.

I just read a review of "42" in which the reviewer notes that the reality of the Jim Crow area and its raw proud racism, are considerably softened for Hollywood purposes. Senseless reflexive hatred and disgust for another human being, simply because of their appearance, the anthithesis of humanity, are perhaps not best examined in a sports movie, and who wants to look at it anyway? But these prejudices have driven so much of history, and continue to operate culturally in so many places, they are so deep.

Yep, those good things gonna be here, fasta than you can say Jackie Robinson!

You bet bro. And the sweet Atlantic breezes are timeless!

Yes Ma'am, God Bless you, Ma'am!.

I heared dat de played dat Battle Hymn at de library today. Same one dat dem republcans sang while dee freed us, unda dat tall white man dat de shot it de head!

You bet bro. And the sweet Atlantic breezes are timeless!

Yes Ma'am, God Bless you, Ma'am!.

I heared dat de played dat Battle Hymn at de library today. Same one dat dem republcans sang while dee freed us, unda dat tall white man dat de shot it de head!

Thank you Sir, and that blessed hymn resounds wherever freedom lovers wham!

Ba'al Chatzaf

I very much enjoyed the pictures , thank you .

This post though was simply wonderful and so many times I think about this when people write about " back in the day '', but could never write anything like this !

Amazing ! thanks ,

Margaret Sanger would have made a wonderful Nazi. She believed in birth control for Negroes and Poor Whites.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Information I first heard on Glenn Beck's show on Fox News.

Dennis

I learned that 30 years ago reading up on Sanger. The day I depend on Fox News to learn history will never come.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

Information I first heard on Glenn Beck's show on Fox News.

Dennis

I learned that 30 years ago reading up on Sanger. The day I depend on Fox News to learn history will never come.

Ba'al Chatzaf

On Fox News is where Beck documented how the Progressives have been buying up old books out of print,

altering or destroying historical records, and destroying the ugly parts of the history of the Progressive moment

to put a smiley face on it.

I know that historical films of atrocities of the Russian revolution I saw in high school [32-33 years ago ] seem

to have disappeared in the digital age.

Beck has bought up many old books Progressives have attempted to destroy - sometimes the same pages

will be cut out of numerous copies before he can find one not altered to protect the Progressives.

If Common Core survives and education goes entirely digital it is unlikely what you read about Sanger 30 years ago

will be available in the next generation.

Dennis

Goldberg points out in Liberal Fascism that the Nazis used to cite Sanger rather than the other way around.

Some of the photos struck me for the mixed-race composition of the crews, with no sign that anybody had issues with it.

Goldberg points out in Liberal Fascism that the Nazis used to cite Sanger rather than the other way around.

Some of the photos struck me for the mixed-race composition of the crews, with no sign that anybody had issues with it.

From what I know of local history in Northeast Missouri racism has been far from a linear progression of bad in the past to good today.

There were a small number of slaves in NE MO at the end of the Civil War. The cemetery where my great-grandfather May is buried

is said to have a half dozen unmarked graves where slaves were buried. At the end of the Civil War one freed slave remained near

where he had been a slave and made a living fishing the local river just as the Indians had done up until about the 1830's - one of

my elderly cousins [now gone] knew him when he was a child.

There was not much racism related to the Indian population here - all but a handful died of small pox from when the Spanish were

in Missouri. The last young female Indian of the local tribe was married off to a white settler by the chief.

There was and still are few blacks in NE Missouri. My great-grandmother let it be known that blacks working on Missouri rural

electrification were welcome at their farm to get water and trades supplies as needed. I have several half black or fractionally

black cousins on both sides of my family. On the May side we are all fractionally American Indian as well.

It is my view that Obama has done significant damage to race relations - setting things back thirty years or more.

I don't see that damage being undone in my lifetime. A shame.

Dennis

I know that historical films of atrocities of the Russian revolution I saw in high school [32-33 years ago ] seem

I like to visit used book stores. Musty old volumes in their hundreds and thousands sit on sagging bookshelves. The Bad Guys cannot scoop up all the old volumes which were privately owned and found their way into used book stores.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I like to visit used book stores. Musty old volumes in their hundreds and thousands sit on sagging bookshelves. The Bad Guys cannot scoop up all the old volumes which were privately owned and found their way into used book stores.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I agree that the Progressives aren't going to get them all, but they don't need to. They only need to make it difficult.

Until the Internet came along it was almost impossible to research portions of the history of physics. I used to have the time

and access to the AFIT library plus I could have research done for me at the Wright-Patternson AFB library - research that

included relevant government documents. I spent a great deal of time researching specific portions of the history of physics

and even with those resource available it came to very little relative to sources available after Wikipedia and Internet search

engines came along.

The Air Force has/had huge volumes of information on microfiche, film and other media difficult to search. I have no idea

what has become of that since 1992. When I was in the Air Force they had a very very bad habit of destroying information

if it did not fall into precise categories.

I know one thing - the films I saw in High School would not be allowed now and certainly not under in a Common Core

educational system.

Dennis