What is Consciousness?

PDS

Okay, PBS. Stop traducing producing. Do some producing.

--Brant

Brant: I am thinking (pun intended) that this is directed at me (PDS--not PBS).

I will start with an analogy. In advanced martial arts, there is a concept called mushin. This is roughly translated as "no mind". The marial artist has reached a stage where conscious thought is not need to execute moves, kicks, etc. Instead of thinking about them, you just do them, with relative ease. There is a companion concept called zanshin. This is roughly translated as "alert awareness". Zanshin is the is the other side of the coin, so to speak. Assuming a baseline of physical competance, when you stop thinking you are left with alert awareness. Consciousness is thus whatever is "left over" when one stops thinking (no mind) and notices the remaining alert awareness. That's the noun: alert awareness.

A question that has occupied the great mystics of virtually every religion for the past 2500 years is this: is this alert awareness personal to you or to me, i.e., is it a soul-like thing existing inside your head, behind the back of your eyeballs somewhere), or does it exist generally as that one energy that makes up all of existence, i.e., the energy spoken of by quantum physicists? The mystics say that consciousness is that "one energy" that makes up all of existence. One example of this view is Advaita Vedenta.

So, the mystics go one step farther than merely calling consiousness "alert awareness". They call it existence itself.

Important, if true--as the saying goes.

I've no idea why it's important. I am aware of a state of consciousness where things just flow and your body does things seemingly without error. I think this happens a lot with great athletes. Once someone tossed a pool ball to me with some speed but off to the side. I just snap-put out my hand and grabbed it perfectly.

One reason I stopped karate was I couldn't train myself to stop using my hands to stop kicks. My knuckles got swollen up.

I was having a little fun with PBS Mr. PDS. Be happy I didn't think of PMS. My brain is still sharp enough to chop down trees. Shaving is another matter.

--Brant

Brant: Don't sell yourself short. Of course you know why that would be important--or, at least, you certainly have an idea why this would be important.

Just one example of why this might be important: if true, it would confirm Jung's theory of a collective unconscious.

Another example of why this might be important: It would, if true, confirm the Stoic pantheist metphysics, which essentially holds that everything is that one energy (sometimes referred to as God).

One final example of why this might be important: it would, if true--and apart from the Stoics--confirm that you and I are god, in the same way that every wave is a part of the ocean.

Take your pick. Seems pretty important to me--if true...

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...couldn't resist that Wolf..

Whatever consciousness is, what it's not is immortal - or 'connected'.

A dog obsessively chasing its tail is a good metaphor for attempting to go behind the consciousness axiom.

Q. Why does he do that?

A. Because he has never learned he can't catch it.

(Relax - take it easy, my boy).

Once the 'limits' of one's consciousness are realized, true liberation can begin. What now? What can I know? What can I do? Who with? Which are my values?

On the surface a paradox, but those parameters are what shall set one free.

You and I are god, in the same way that every wave is a part of the ocean.

All mystics straight to the ignore list.

Despite your un-unique Ostrich philosophy on this point, what if what is "mystical" is real?

clip-art-ostriches-357600.jpg

A...

Then the mystics will have to come up with a mystical replacement.

--Brant

it's an industry

Brant: I love your ability to turn a phrase in less-than-dozen word increments. You should take up Haiku--I bet you could sell a book of it.

With that said, consider this: just because the mystics have been saying X for 2500 years does not mean that X is false. In other words, it is entirely possible that the mystics have been more or less accidentally correct, as, for instance, they have been in the field quantum physics.

Once again, important--if true.

You and I are god, in the same way that every wave is a part of the ocean.

All mystics straight to the ignore list.

Aw, come on Wolf.

You've already ruined two countries and now you're threatening to go and ruin this thread!

Too bad you'll never see this complaint...

Then the mystics will have to come up with a mystical replacement.

--Brant

it's an industry

Brant: I love your ability to turn a phrase in less-than-dozen word increments. You should take up Haiku--I bet you could sell a book of it.

With that said, consider this: just because the mystics have been saying X for 2500 years does not mean that X is false. In other words, it is entirely possible that the mystics have been more or less accidentally correct, as, for instance, they have been in the field quantum physics.

Once again, important--if true.

If they've been saying X for 2500 years you have to assume there's some utility, likely important.

Real knowledge of the existential world requires adduceable evidence.

--Brant

Tony, I like our chats. What you think of dreams? Not consciousness, but offline file sorting?

Plainly it is not the portents and signs of dreams you are asking for, any of that mystical junk.

Roughly, I think of dreams as random bubbles of memory rising from our subconscious and bursting on the surface. Interesting and fun to review or recall, even mirroring some aspects of our existence sometimes, but in themselves meaningless.

Research indicates various theories of the 'purpose' of dreaming - such as survival role play in the evolution of mammals - and the likely great importance of REM sleep (during which we dream) to our emotional wellbeing and mental health.

Research indicates various theories of the 'purpose' of dreaming - such as survival role play

I think that's right, confirms my experience. Explains dog dreams, too.

Especially when their legs are moving and their face is contorted and they are on their sides in a deep sleep.

We used to have to keep our eyes on the animals in the recovery area which was clear glass with mats and cages/pens.

Saw amazing movements and activities going on as they regained "what we called consciousness" as you pointed out above.

A...

"What is consciousness?"

All I can say is, I know it when I see it.

--Brant

But you don't see it, Brant. Through it is how you see.*

*Not trying to sound like a Zen master here... :cool:

You succeeded.

--Brant

You may not be a zen master, but you are a quip-master. I humbly bow to you.* PDS

*While keeping one eye on your holster.

"What is consciousness?"

All I can say is, I know it when I see it.

--Brant

But you don't see it, Brant. Through it is how you see.*

*Not trying to sound like a Zen master here... :cool:

You succeeded.

--Brant

You may not be a zen master, but you are a quip-master. I humbly bow to you.* PDS

*While keeping one eye on your holster.

And the Blade Sinister...

"Consciousness is not a thing. It would be more accurate to think of it as a verb. Consciousness is not the perceiving of phenomena, but it is the phenomena itself. Or rather, there is actually no phenomena, but only perceiving. Perceiving is what consciousness is."

This is interesting. The author seems to be saying that because consciousness is one big infinite verb, it really can't be a noun.*

*Not vouching for anything on the linked website, just intrigued by the quote, so all rotten tomatoes should stay in the crate.

"Consciousness is not a thing. It would be more accurate to think of it as a verb. Consciousness is not the perceiving of phenomena, but it is the phenomena itself. Or rather, there is actually no phenomena, but only perceiving. Perceiving is what consciousness is."

This is interesting. The author seems to be saying that because consciousness is one big infinite verb, it really can't be a noun.*

*Not vouching for anything on the linked website, just intrigued by the quote, so all rotten tomatoes should stay in the crate.

Interesting...

http://www.uncoveringlife.com/awakening-story/

"In my articles refuting the external world..." [ouch]

There is only hearing -- no hearer, nothing heard.

There is only touching -- no toucher, nothing touched.

There is only thinking -- no thinker, no thought.

There is only perceiving -- no perceiver, nothing perceived. This is consciousness.

[Yow!]

Well, I'm glad that's sorted. This is his consciousness, fine.

How does this man know his way out of bed every a.m.? Let alone perceive and think and give us his (non-existing) perceptions and thoughts? I'd like to know. :smile:

I'd like to know. :smile:

There you go, using those terms...

Wasn't there one of the author philosophers at one of the parties spouting this stuff in Atlas?

A...