RANT: I am sick and tired of being honest.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brutal truth is that this honesty has gotten me nothing in life.

Values have to be created by thought and practical effort. Honesty, in itself, provides you with nothing. It is an essential pre-condition though to creating values, and more broadly than the personal, it's essential across society for creating a climate that's conducive to creating values. All that aside, the integrity that you have for upholding property rights: how exactly has that detracted from your life?

Great points.

Shayne

BTW, a practical reason for you to do as you did: if you hadn’t reported it, and there’d been a security camera record of it, things could have turned out much worse.

Good point. This is a truly rational reason for being honest.

Edited by Xray

BTW, a practical reason for you to do as you did: if you hadn’t reported it, and there’d been a security camera record of it, things could have turned out much worse.

Good point. This is a truly rational reason for being honest.

He acted on the right principle, the moral is the practical (thus spake our patron saint), etcetera and so on. Next time he hits a gate it's liable to be one with a carefully hidden camera, he's going to make a run for it, and soon he'll really be cursing his existence.

• 3 weeks later...

My name is far too common to be googled easily.

By the way, my honesty cost me $94. I got a bill a few days later from the homeowners association.

But it is tax deductible.

Actually, I am being narrow minded. Depending on the state you are in and your property damage coverage in your auto insurance policy, it would be covered under that section of the policy.

In NY State, the minimum Property Damage coverage permitted by state law is $.25,000.

Everyone should check their under and uninsured motorist coverages in their auto policies and raise them to the same level as their face amount of liability coverage. For example, 100/300/50 split limit coverage in NY State covers you for $100,000 per person total of $300,000 per accident and $50,000 in property damage caused by you or the driver of your vehicle. If you are hit, by an under or uninsured motorist, you want to be protected and should bring your coverage up to what you carry for others.

250/250/250 single limit policies also should bring up the under and uninsured coverages.

Adam

Edited by Selene

By the way, my honesty cost me $94. I got a bill a few days later from the homeowners association.

The good conscience one gets from having acted correctly is well worth those $94.

Just because others don't abide by the rules is no justification for doing the same.

I deal with this issue in my teacher's job on a daily basis. When I tell Johnny to stop throwing sand at the other children, in about 80 % of the cases I'll get the answer: "But my friend Tommy has done it too!" As if accompliceship would mitigate Johnny's act. :rolleyes:

I always use these situations to get the kids to rationally reflect about their acts, mostly using the Q & A technique. Often there are other children standing around, offering their input; it is amazing what reasonable insights children can produce once they engage in this kind of discussion.

Edited by Xray