Bad Boys, "swagger deficit," 'n stuff

I ask myself how a person with an "enourmously high IQ" could deny the advantages of using the quote function.

LOL. 'Tiz a puzzlement.

Furthermore, he said somewhere that he used to be fluent at using several computer languages, so there went the possibility that learning the software procedure daunted him and he didn't want to admit that.

Ellen

I've always had the gut feeling that the real reason for Phil's arguing so vehemently against the use of the quote function was that did not know how to use that function, but was afraid to "lose face" if he admitted it.

So he did not allow himself to simply ask how it is done.

Phil easily used the quote function in the Practice thread I started.

Frankly, Brant, I believe this was first time he tried it out.

Look at the way he commented about it (italics mine):

Wow I just found out something...when you use that quote function, it automatically mindlessly quotes back the entire sequence of drivel that led up to your zinger or one liner.

[edited to correct a mistake: I had quoted Selene instead of Phil]

Edited by Xray

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask myself how a person with an "enourmously high IQ" could deny the advantages of using the quote function.

LOL. 'Tiz a puzzlement.

Furthermore, he said somewhere that he used to be fluent at using several computer languages, so there went the possibility that learning the software procedure daunted him and he didn't want to admit that.

Ellen

I always had the gut feeling that the real reason for Phil's arguing so vehemently against the use of the quote function was that did not know how to use that function, but was afraid to "lose face" if he admitted it.

Frankly, Brant, I believe this was first time he tried it out. Look at the way he commented about it.

Yeah, so what? He had no trouble using it. I personally refuse to be a slave to technology. I have a cell phone, but I only use it as a phone. Texting? Fogetabotit. Pics.? X-it. I only use the quote function in its easiest, most primitive way. No multi-quotes, no pics, no links unless I type 'em completely out. . When I really need these I'll learn them. I remember when the first VCRs came out. No problem. I was the guy you went to to know how to use them. Now? Technology gets in my way so I don't use the get-in-my-way technology. I understand this has a lot to do with age. Sometimes I ask a youngster for help. The return favor of asking me for my wisdom I do not generally get. That's a way I was when I was their age. Way of the world. Energy and newness we need them more than someone like me. More babies! Here's how I want to leave this world, however, a suffusion of pure genius and the middle finger raised high, not in ad hominem disparagement but in disparagement of so called "rightful thinking" (non-thinking) so people will think about it.

--Brant

that'd be transcendent

Frankly, Brant, I believe this was first time he tried it out.

Look at the way he commented about it (italics mine):

Wow I just found out something...when you use that quote function, it automatically mindlessly quotes back the entire sequence of drivel that led up to your zinger or one liner.

I thought it was obvious that that was the first time he'd tried it -- and that he'd paid no attention to people's having told him earlier that he could post any snippet he wanted to use between the opening bar and closing code while deleting the rest -- while meanwhile he delivered lectures about people's inattentiveness.

If he's still reading, maybe (dim hope) something might penetrate at last about the discrepancy between the content of his lectures and his behavior, over the course of years.

Ellen

Yeah, so what? He had no trouble using it. I personally refuse to be a slave to technology. I have a cell phone, but I only use it as a phone. Texting? Fogetabotit. Pics.? X-it. I only use the quote function in its easiest, most primitive way. No multi-quotes, no pics, no links unless I type 'em completely out. . When I really need these I'll learn them. I remember when the first VCRs came out. No problem. I was the guy you went to to know how to use them. Now? Technology gets in my way so I don't use the get-in-my-way technology. I understand this has a lot to do with age. Sometimes I ask a youngster for help. The return favor of asking me for my wisdom I do not generally get. That's a way I was when I was their age. Way of the world. Energy and newness we need them more than someone like me. More babies! Here's how I want to leave this world, however, a suffusion of pure genius and the middle finger raised high, not in ad hominem disparagement but in disparagement of so called "rightful thinking" (non-thinking) so people will think about it.

--Brant

that'd be transcendent

Brant, my state of technology is exactly the same as yours - except that this is the peak of my lifetime expertise, as I have always been the last to grudgingly learn the durn stuff even when young.

I can go you one better because I don't have a cell phone and can't be reached anywhere and everywhere. I'm probably the last free woman in Canada.

Carol

Quill pen in hand

I can go you one better because I don't have a cell phone and can't be reached anywhere and everywhere. I'm probably the last free woman in Canada.

Carol

Quill pen in hand

Dinosaurs.

Confession: until 3 years ago I avoided owning a computer. My cell phone is for phoning only - and texting, unlike Brontosaurus Brant. I was the last photographer I know to switch to digital. And I was very proud when I figured out the quote function all by myself.

T.Rex

Carol

Quill pen in hand

Dinosaurs.

Confession: until 3 years ago I avoided owning a computer. My cell phone is for phoning only - and texting, unlike Brontosaurus Brant. I was the last photographer I know to switch to digital. And I was very proud when I figured out the quote function all by myself.

T.Rex

The Brontosaurus never existed except as a collection of bones in, I think, the Yale Peabody museum.

--Brant

got my first computer in 1984 and have been "on-line" for nearly 25 years

Carol

Quill pen in hand

Dinosaurs.

T.Rex

The Brontosaurus never existed except as a collection of bones in, I think, the Yale Peabody museum.

--Brant

I got my second son in 1984 and have been oncall ever since. I never learned to operate him properly. As soon as I mastered one technique he made it obsolete.

As a nod to the thread theme, he learned to swagger all by himself.

Carol

Museum Piece

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol

Quill pen in hand

Dinosaurs.

T.Rex

--Brant

I got my second son in 1984 and have been oncall ever since. I never learned to operate him properly. As soon as I mastered one technique he made it obsolete.

As a nod to the thread theme, he learned to swagger all by himself.

Carol

Museum Piece

Old curves are fun to drive on - great scenery, reliable cornering, but they are still slippery when wet.