FLW

anthony

From a novel* by TC Boyle about Frank Lloyd Wright.

To newspapermen: (disapproving of his love affair with a married socialite.)

"I want to say this: laws and rules are made for the average. The ordinary man cannot live without rules to guide his conduct. It is infinitely more difficult to live without rules, but that is what the really honest, sincere, thinking man is compelled to do."

To a judge in a civil case:

Judge: Profession?

FLW: Architect, in fact, the world's greatest architect.

Judge: Greatest? How can you make that claim?!

FLW: Well you Honor, I am under oath.

B)

Egoist, and egotist; lover, unique force of nature, and brilliant architect - not much wonder Rand was fascinated by him (and met with him.)

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility; I chose arrogance."

FLW

*(Prosaically titled "The Women".)

Tony

Edited by whYNOT

The beginning and ending quotes are accurate; I'm not so sure about the middle one, though I'd like to believe it. You sometimes hear that this exchange took place during the McCarthy hearings, which is definitely inaccurate.

Boyle lives in one of Wright's houses. It shows up in a rather silly trailer for the book.

The photo at left (at this writing; no telling what will be there when scholars pore over OL's archives centuries hence) shows Wright's Unity Temple, which I suspect was Rand's source for Stoddard.

Edited by Reidy

The beginning and ending quotes are accurate; I'm not so sure about the middle one, though I'd like to believe it. You sometimes hear that this exchange took place during the McCarthy hearings, which is definitely inaccurate.

Boyle lives in one of Wright's houses. It shows up in a rather silly trailer for the book.

The photo at left (at this writing; no telling what will be there when scholars pore over OL's archives centuries hence) shows Wright's Unity Temple, which I suspect was Rand's source for Stoddard.

Reidy,

A book trailer? What will they - oh nevermind.

Yes, it is a bit heavy on creative licence, with a 'draggy' song.

(I believe you, honey!)

I don't believe this is T. Coraghessan Boyle at his best. (How would that be pronounced?)

It is fairly insightful as to Wright's life and character, through the eyes of his three women, though. A lot I didn't know.

Thanks for the links.

Tony

To newspapermen: (disapproving of his love affair with a married socialite.)

"I want to say this: laws and rules are made for the average. The ordinary man cannot live without rules to guide his conduct. It is infinitely more difficult to live without rules, but that is what the really honest, sincere, thinking man is compelled to do."

To a judge in a civil case:

Judge: Profession?

FLW: Architect, in fact, the world's greatest architect.

Judge: Greatest? How can you make that claim?!

FLW: Well you Honor, I am under oath.

B)

Egoist, and egotist; lover, unique force of nature, and brilliant architect - not much wonder Rand was fascinated by him (and met with him.)

"Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility; I chose arrogance."

FLW

*(Prosaically titled "The Women".)

Tony

Tony:

How could you betray me like this! On the starting day of my plea for a moratorium on ALPHABETISM in honor of this being the month of the release of Atlas Shrugged which we have all been waiting for for five decades!

You title a thread on the equally beloved architect Frank Lloyd Wright as an ALPHABETISM!!!!

I am crushed.

April Fools Tony!

Adam

Brush with fame:

The last time that my wife and I visited Taliesin, which was probably early to mid October of 2007, we met Boyle. He was on the public tour with us doing his final research for his novel.

J

Brush with fame:

The last time that my wife and I visited Taliesin, which was probably early to mid October of 2007, we met Boyle. He was on the public tour with us doing his final research for his novel.

J

Jonathan,

Now THAT's a brush I wouldn't mind having.

I build up a picture of a favoured author - which is probably way off mostly.

But Boyle invites speculation due to his enigmatic, possibly publicity-shy nature.

For certain, he's an interesting fellow.

(Was that the original Taliesin in Wisconsin?)

Tony

Jonathan,

Now THAT's a brush I wouldn't mind having.

I build up a picture of a favoured author - which is probably way off mostly.

But Boyle invites speculation due to his enigmatic, possibly publicity-shy nature.

For certain, he's an interesting fellow.

(Was that the original Taliesin in Wisconsin?)

Tony

Yes, it was the Wisconsin Taliesin.

J