je reviens

caroljane

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted, just good research are you a fan? Which do you think is his best ballad? Here's my free translation of one from his I'm such-a-tough-loner-poor-me period-

Tu n'aurais jamais du m'aimer

J' n'suis pas ce que tu pensais==

et tout ceque tu possessais

je l'ai vole

tu n'aurais jamais du m'aimer

I aologize for the lack of accents - I was told how to get them but just have not done it.

Carol

a Detriment once more

For some reason I thought your name was Carol Gordon, so your return made me think of a classic Brian Blessed moment:

Pretty dumb, I know. Time for another beer.

Highly underrated movie! Were it not for Queen, I think there would be a lot of lost umph in this one. I love how scores can make or break a flick!

Sorry for going off-topic :)

~ Shane

Sorry for going off-topic :)

Not to worry, this one’s a free for all.

I thought Flash Gordon was god awful, but there were some great uber-campy moments to savor in small, YouTube sized bites.

> You should come too, Phil. For a man of your wide culture your culinary tastes are insular, not to say revolting. Beer floats?

Read A la recherche du temps perdu and start with the madeleines!

Daunce,

I will get up to Toronto one of these days. Right now, I'm scheduled to do a transcontinental book tour for signings of the "Collected Posts of Phil Coates--The Non-Insulting Assortment" and Toronto is definitely one of the major cities where my fan base is densest (ok, don't make the obvious joke).

But you guys are going to have to take me to a place that has something other than cucumber sandwiches.

> I thought Flash Gordon was god awful [ND]

Flash Gordon was *absolutely superb*. Great sets, costumes, cinematography, vividly imaginative. Brain Blessed and Emperor Ming were over the top and the guy who played Flash wooden, but that's exactly how they needed to be: remember, this is a cartoon fantasy.

And the ending, how the 'bad guy' dies was clever and fitting.

> You should come too, Phil. For a man of your wide culture your culinary tastes are insular, not to say revolting. Beer floats?

Read A la recherche du temps perdu and start with the madeleines!

Daunce,

I will get up to Toronto one of these days. Right now, I'm scheduled to do a transcontinental book tour for signings of the "Collected Posts of Phil Coates--The Non-Insulting Assortment" and Toronto is definitely one of the major cities where my fan base is densest (ok, don't make the obvious joke).

But you guys are going to have to take me to a place that has something other than cucumber sandwiches.

Phil, would I make an obvious joke? I am far too porous.

Great news about the book tour! We will host you at the Hag & Sporran where there is no food at all unless Mad Rab is in a good mood, then starve onwards to Papa's for souvlaki. You already have fans here who crave to not be insulted and I am sure they will treat you.

> You already have fans here who crave to not be insulted

This tour will be a sequel to my wildly successful Insulting Tour.

> You already have fans here who crave to not be insulted

This tour will be a sequel to my wildly successful Insulting Tour.

Uh, OK. In that case I'll book you a hospital suite in the name of cousin Eugene, he won't be needing his free healthcare here for awhile.

I was a fan of Gordon Lightfoot through his radio hits before I was old enough to speak.

O, Lightfoot on the radio at night --do you have a favourite?

btw did you recognize the song I translated?

Edited by daunce lynam

I was a fan of Gordon Lightfoot through his radio hits before I was old enough to speak.

It was Lightfoot on the radio in my dad's Buick.

I understood your French, but don't recognize the song. I never owned any of his albums, and only know those three hits. I couldn't chose between them. I bought his best of a few years ago but seem to have misplaced it.

Edited by Ted Keer

It was Lightfoot on the radio in my dad's Buick.

I understood your French, but don't recognize the song. I never owned any of his albums, and only know those three hits. I couldn't chose between them. I bought his best of a few years ago but seem to have misplaced it.

It was "That's what you get for loving me" - if you liked those 3, you would love the others. At his best he is haunting, relentlessly bleakly beautiful. And in the refuse-to-pity-myself-down-and-out vein, you cannot beat "Early Morning Rain".

Enjoy:

He started singing "I'm a Little Teapot" at five (5)!:

Enjoy:

He started singing "I'm a Little Teapot" at five (5)!:

Thanks for that Adam.Singing that Teapot seems to have been a Cdn rite of passage. I remember singing it at 4 or 5 and unlike Gordon I was extremely short and stout, which was noted with merriment by my relatives. I thought I was a big hit.

omg LOL you are all still so sad! Can I wrap you in a nice blanket and tell you it will be alright-ignore the big bad Daunce? But then again you would want yourself wrapped in the blanket with her.

Enjoy your quipping...you can all eat your cucumber sandwiches and sip your tea - I would prefer a steak and a beer but whatever.

There is no substance here anymore, I think I saw some when I started my membership on this forum.

What would Howard Roark or Rand even think if they happened to read this thread?

I honestly would like to know what you think they would ascertain from it, Objectivist living or Objectivist dying? I think I know which it is.

Quip on - it just makes me sad.

your favorite troll/cartoon character-aw shucks

pippi

omg LOL you are all still so sad! Can I wrap you in a nice blanket and tell you it will be alright-ignore the big bad Daunce? But then again you would want yourself wrapped in the blanket with her.

Enjoy your quipping...you can all eat your cucumber sandwiches and sip your tea - I would prefer a steak and a beer but whatever.

There is no substance here anymore, I think I saw some when I started my membership on this forum.

What would Howard Roark or Rand even think if they happened to read this thread?

I honestly would like to know what you think they would ascertain from it, Objectivist living or Objectivist dying? I think I know which it is.

Quip on - it just makes me sad.

your favorite troll/cartoon character-aw shucks

pippi

QFT

I just ripped Pippi a new one but Nanook would not have approved, so I took it down. While still quoting Pippi.....

Edited by Joel Mac Donald

I thought Flash Gordon was god awful, but there were some great uber-campy moments to savor in small, YouTube sized bites.

> I thought Flash Gordon was god awful [ND]

Flash Gordon was *absolutely superb*. Great sets, costumes, cinematography, vividly imaginative. Brain Blessed and Emperor Ming were over the top and the guy who played Flash wooden, but that's exactly how they needed to be: remember, this is a cartoon fantasy.

And the ending, how the 'bad guy' dies was clever and fitting.

My my my, I express an opinion, I phrase it as an opinion, and then here comes Phil pontificating.

> At [Gordon Lightfoot's] best he is haunting, relentlessly bleakly beautiful. And in the refuse-to-pity-myself-down-and-out vein, you cannot beat "Early Morning Rain". [Daunce]

Very well encapsulated. You put your finger briefly on some of the things I have liked about his songs.

[quote name='pippi' timestamp='1299564751' post='12

pippi

Roark: I want to blow up this place.

Rand: You want to, but it is not your place to blow up, as you did not design, build or purchase it

Roark: You're putting words in my mouth again. I wish you'd cut that ou...

Rand: Exactly. It is I without whom this place would not exist, and where my ideas are used in ways I do not approve of, therefore it is my intellectual property . Mine!

Roark: So do I get the dynamite?

Rand: Yes. I will delegate Pippi to gather the few rational, productive men of the mind and explain their new freedom to them.

Not the three-hour speech though, we are behind schedule. What is the next stop again?

Roark: Someplace called Solo Passion.

Rand: Sounds interesting....

LOL

Carol:

Nicely done.

Adam

Rand: Adam and Tony. Two more first-handers who have somehow survived this existential swamp. More than I expected, really, but not enough to rebuild a moral world.

Roark: Likely we'll find lots more in that Solo place.

BLAM!!!

Roark: Lookout for those floating abstractions, they can land on you anytime after one of these blasts. Sometimes they float for years.