je reviens

caroljane

What would Howard Roark or Rand even think if they happened to read this thread?

My guess is they would frown on all the banter, humor not exactly being their cup of tea ... ;)

Speaking of tea, here's a nice post about my favorite beverage:

What in God's name is a cucumber sandwich? Is it as disgusting as it sounds?

Ever so British, old chap. Served at all the best tea-parties, especially if there are aristocrats about, and in far-flung corners of the Empire. (Yes, that Empire!)

Just the trick, I imagined, for the ladies, vegetarian Xray and Commonwealth Carol taking tea.

Actually, quite tasty, considering. Dainty little quartered white bread slices with the crusts cut off, and inside, lots of butter... and cucumber slices.

Thank you so much for serving this dainty, both vegatarain and Commonwealthian treat, Mr. WhyNot. I'm a committed bread muncher anyway, and just took a bite: simply delicious!

Phil, c'mon, overcome your skepticism and try them too!

Since colonialism went out of fashion, I seldom see it served any more. Silver tea service, best china, on starched table-cloths - the height of pretension which I scorned once. Now, I'm getting a touch nostalgic for it.

I'm already starting to feel like in an Agatha Christie story. (I'm huge fan of Dame Agatha's plots and atmospherical settings!). Imagine this: a Victorian hotel lobby, we're just having high tea and there -- at the neighbor table, we suddenly spot - Hercule Poirot!!

Of course with Poirot around, something dramatic is going to happen soon ...!

I love it when in English whodunits, in all the commotion, someone usually tells the shaken eyewitness (who has just stumbled across the dead body) to have good strong cup of tea. :)

Tea as the panacea! I can relate to that, for I love tea, and although I prefer it with lemon juice and sugar, I like the British variant with milk too.

Something just crossed my mind ... Hmmm ... OMG, could it be that ... - Carol (nudge, nudge (whispering) psst: Could it be that we were on the false track all along, and that the trail does not lead to Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck, but right to this luxurious hotel, with its silver service, best china, and the dark horse billionaire WN sitting right in front of us? And I bragged about my sleuthing abilities while seing nothing - shame on me! :unsure:

[***disclaimer** pure banter of course, but one can never know whether some people who are not into bantering might take it at face value]

Enjoy your quipping...you can all eat your cucumber sandwiches and sip your tea - I would prefer a steak and a beer but whatever.

Lighten, up Pippi! C'mon over, sit down next to us. We've just finished our tea, the waiter has cleared the table, and if you feel like something hearty, why not order steak and beer?

It's a posh hotel, I know, but you will still get your meal. For the waiter can't be sure: you might turn out to be a rich heiress, after all, and no waiter wants to run into trouble for not fulfilling the wishes of upper-crust guests. Rumor has it that a few weeks ago, Paris Hilton ordered a plain ol' cheeseburger and French fries with loads of ketchup at this hotel, so there should be no problem with your steak and beer. :)

Edited by Xray

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[XRay]

Something just crossed my mind ... Hmmm ... OMG, could it be that ... - Carol (nudge, nudge (whispering) psst: Could it be that we were on the false track all along, and that the trail does not lead to Duckburg and Scrooge McDuck, but right to this luxurious hotel, with its silver service, best china, and the dark horse billionaire WN sitting right in front of us? And I bragged about my sleuthing abilities while seing nothing - shame on me! :unsure:

[***disclaimer** pure banter of course, but one can never know whether some people who are not into bantering might take it at face value]

OMGOMGOMG! Could it be? More than we ever hoped for - not just money, but OLD money - cash, class, culture - let's not get too excited - we've been burned before....

Edited by daunce lynam