JR's OL Tea Party Bash

(Note from MSK: This thread was peeled off from another here, and the part peeled off goes up to Post 42.)

In a spirit of civility and benevolence, I'd like to invite all OLers to a tea party honoring Phil, who, as many of you know, has been my longs-suffering teacher for many years, putting up with the torments of an excruciatingly hot and uncomfortable place to teach me the rudiments of civility and benevolence.

At this tea party, we will have a selection of herbal teas and little triangular watercress sandwiches with all the crusts cut off the edges of the bread.

Stay tuned to this space for more details as they become available.

Excitedly,

JR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a spirit of civility and benevolence, I'd like to invite all OLers to a tea party honoring Phil, who, as many of you know, has been my longs-suffering teacher for many years, putting up with the torments of an excruciatingly hot and uncomfortable place to teach me the rudiments of civility and benevolence.

At this tea party, we will have a selection of herbal teas and little triangular watercress sandwiches with all the crusts cut off the edges of the bread.

Excitedly,

JR

That's only for the living room. Back in the kitchen . . .

--Brant

beer

Excitedly,

JR

That's only for the living room. Back in the kitchen . . .

--Brant

beer

Rumours are already starting that there's going to be a Vow Renewal Cermony with Civility Rings exchanged, and JR and Jonathan are vying for the privilege of leading Ellen out for the first dance.

Rumours are already starting that there's going to be a Vow Renewal Cermony with Civility Rings exchanged, and JR and Jonathan are vying for the privilege of leading Ellen out for the first dance.

Oh, but I would never be so gauche as to presume to have the first dance with the lovely Miss Ellen. That is Mr. Riggenbach's right as the party's host.

Civility Rings and triangular watercress sandwiches with the crusts cut off! Oh, how lovely!

Cordially,

Jonathan

Oh, but I would never be so gauche as to presume to have the first dance with the lovely Miss Ellen. That is Mr. Riggenbach's right as the party's host.

Civility Rings and triangular watercress sandwiches with the crusts cut off! Oh, how lovely!

Cordially,

Jonathan

I just hope Mr R has a good social secretary to handle the guest list. Lady Olivia Slapper is threatening to jet in from NZ with her retinue.

All agog,

Carol

Edited by daunce lynam

JR: I might try to attend as well, if invited. I assume you have a decent Kenny G collection? If not, I can bring mine.

I thought JR was known for his beer bashes. Sounds like more fun. The big question is, what kind of beer, and is the music chosen to match the suds. Here's a good one for our foul-mouth buddy Phil:

Sounds like a great party.

I am not checking any of my weapons.

And, Ms. Xray cannot wear that damn chastity belt, the one with the inverted crucifix...it is really tacky.

Adam

RSVP

JR: I might try to attend as well, if invited. I assume you have a decent Kenny G collection? If not, I can bring mine.

I thought JR was known for his beer bashes. Sounds like more fun. The big question is, what kind of beer, and is the music chosen to match the suds. Here's a good one for our foul-mouth buddy Phil:

I will be helping Brant in the kitchen (Hic) and I believe the catering is well in hand.

The Moosehead beer truck hijacker is out of jail and looking for work.

I will be helping Brant in the kitchen (Hic) and I believe the catering is well in hand.

The Moosehead beer truck hijacker is out of jail and looking for work.

Adam and I will take care of hiring the strippers.

I thought JR was known for his beer bashes. Sounds like more fun. The big question is, what kind of beer, and is the music chosen to match the suds.

I used to be known for my Beer Busts, ND, when I lived in San Francisco. For a few years in the '90s, my wife Suzanne and I hosted one every week. Later - from around 2000 to early in 2006 when we moved to Houston, we hosted one a month. The music was either jazz, with a heavy emphasis on piano - Dave Brubeck, George Shearing, Bill Evans, Erroll Garner, Thelonious Monk - or classical, with a heavy emphasis on the Baroque and Classical styles and more recent works in a compatible style - lots of chamber orchestras, lots of strings. Bach, Boyce, Mozart, Haydn, Mendelssohn's String Symphonies, Lady Radnor's Suite by Sir Hubert Parry, works for string orchestra by composers like Frank Bridge and Benjamin Britten. Occasionally I'd create a program of Celtic music and Bluegrass-style instrumentals. Occasionally, I'd fill the disc changer up with Tangerine Dream albums from the '70s and '80s.

The beer was dark: mostly stouts and porters, now and then a dark lager, usually a bock.

A few people around here have actually attended one or more of these: Ghs, Ellen, Phil.

JR

Word has it that Mr and Mrs Michael S. Kelly have had a rational domestic discussion about the upcoming Civility Tea Dance and Beer Bash . She has agreed to attend, dance with all the wallflowers, and not insist on an all-Beatles rrepertoire, and he has agreed to wash the dishes for the rest of his life.

Word has it that Mr and Mrs Michael S. Kelly have had a rational domestic discussion about the upcoming Civility Tea Dance and Beer Bash . She has agreed to attend, dance with all the wallflowers, and not insist on an all-Beatles rrepertoire, and he has agreed to wash the dishes for the rest of his life.

I thought LSD was illegal in Toronto?

No indeed, the Mormons are just as tolerated and successful as all the other missionaries.

No indeed, the Mormons are just as tolerated and successful as all the other missionaries.

Ok - something just sailed over my head...did you see what it was?

Daunce wrote:

end quote

LSD misunderstood as LDS (Latter Day Saints, The Mormons?) Dang me, but that is good. Mormon missionaries are all young men.

A tittilating vision just came to me from the Angel Maroni. A young LDS missionary comes to Daunce's door. She opens it and quickly pulls himside by his tie. "Ay, you hoser," she says. "By Brigham Young, ye will be my third husband! We will honeymoon in Saint Johns, B.C., you, me, and the other two what's thar names."

Nor do I wish to remain mad.

Peter

Daunce wrote:

end quote

LSD misunderstood as LDS (Latter Day Saints, The Mormons?) Dang me, but that is good. Mormon missionaries are all young men.

A tittilating vision just came to me from the Angel Maroni. A young LDS missionary comes to Daunce's door. She opens it and quickly pulls himside by his tie. "Ay, you hoser," she says. "By Brigham Young, ye will be my third husband! We will honeymoon in Saint Johns, B.C., you, me, and the other two what's thar names."

Peter

Brother Taylor, verily you have had a vision, please don't tell anybody else.

I was thinking of our French designation "Les Saints Diaboliques". I actually lived for 20 years a half block down from a Mormon Temple and met these young men daily. They were young, handsome, sincere and woefully undereducated. As Turner said to Hurt, and I would quote if I were not so Respectable, I like that in a man.

Daunce wrote:

end quote

Peter

I was thinking of our French designation "Les Saints Diaboliques". I actually lived for 20 years a half block down from a Mormon Temple and met these young men daily. They were young, handsome, sincere and woefully undereducated. As Turner said to Hurt, and I would quote if I were not so Respectable, I like that in a man.

"You're not very smart, are you? I like that in a man."

--Brant

I don't

Ok - something just sailed over my head...did you see what it was?

A Mormon. I'm afraid I'm seeing signs and symptoms of dyslexia--everwyere.

--Brant

get help

Daunce wrote:

end quote

Peter

"You're not very smart, are you? I like that in a man."

--Brant

I don't

Well, you didn't have to respond politely at the bus stop to them most weekdays. I usually told them that I subscribed to the theory that Joseph Smith had plagiarized the Book of Mormon from the religious-mythical novel of a minister for whom he had worked as an itinerant farmhand. They always responded, politely, that they had never heard that before. Give me a break. For 20 years, the elders couldn't have given them a script for Common Objections?

I could not help but compare them with my own , rambunctiously know-it-all but questioning, young wide-ranging sons, and respect them but feel sorry for them.

Phil also attended that Beer Bust, but he and I didn't have any conversation. I was ensconced on the couch in the living room talking with a young girl whom I remember as someone I well liked, though I've forgotten her name. (Anthony Gregory's girlfriend. Do you recall her name, JR?)

Nicole. Suzanne and I will be seeing her and Anthony in about 2-1/2 weeks out in California.

JR

Phil also attended that Beer Bust, but he and I didn't have any conversation. I was ensconced on the couch in the living room talking with a young girl whom I remember as someone I well liked, though I've forgotten her name. (Anthony Gregory's girlfriend. Do you recall her name, JR?)

Nicole. Suzanne and I will be seeing her and Anthony in about 2-1/2 weeks out in California.

JR

Ah! Thanks. It's bugged me not remembering her name when I think of that Beer Bust. I knew it was a name I find euphonious.

Have a good time in California.

Ellen

Cordially,

Jonathan

Oh yes how lovely! I'm starting to feel like in a Jane Austen novel! Will there be a dress code? :)

If Mr WhyNot aka Tony reads that there will be sandwiches with the crusts cut off served, I know he'll be attending!

But what is that I am reading here?

The tea suddenly has been changed to beer!

I thought JR was known for his beer bashes. Sounds like more fun. The big question is, what kind of beer, and is the music chosen to match the suds.

Changes the atmosphere at once, but then I'm from a city famous for its beer and it would be interesting to do some comparison taste tests with JR's lagers and bock beers.

But I prefer wine to beer actually, so my question: Will wine be served too? If not, I'll bring some. Would a red Burgundy Côte de Nuits sound fine? Or a Dolcetto d'Alba? Or a good old Chianti Classico?

I'm not sure though whether beer or wine served is conducive to the party goal "Vow Renewal Cermony with Civility Rings exchanged" ;)

After all, there's the in vino (or in cervisia) veritas effect to consider, tongues will loosen, and instead of exchanging civility rings, folks may find themselves in a ring exchanging verbal punches in arguments ... :)

Edited by Xray