Cultural Disconnect

Judith

So I'm in my hotel, standing by the elevator, and this woman is approaching the elevator just as a car comes. I ask her if she's going up. She doesn't answer the question, but asks me if I'm a fan of Gray's Anatomy. Weird question, I think; how many people are "fans" of the definitive textbook on human anatomy?

"Uh -- I've read it," I answer.

She then proceeds to say something about it being "on" tonight.

"Oh -- uh -- I was talking about the BOOK -- I had no idea that there was a TV show based on it."

"Yeah, I meant the TV show -- I didn't know there was a book," she said.

!!!!!!!!

How could anyone make a TV show out of "Gray's Anatomy"?

And how could anyone not have heard of "the book"????

Judith

:shocked:

How could anyone make a TV show out of "Gray's Anatomy"?

And how could anyone not have heard of "the book"????

I think the TV show is "Grey's Anatomy [spelled with an e not an a]". I've heard the name but don't know what the show is -- a hospital drama series? a medical information series?

I bet lots of people haven't heard of the book.

Ellen

___

Ellen

___

Ellen,

I bet a lot of people haven't heard of that one or these:

Tabers Cyclopedic

Dorlands

Merck Manual (wonderful for the layman)

Physician's Desk Reference (as comprehensive as you can get, unless anyone else knows of another one)

I agree that most people probably haven't heard of any of these. If they haven't studied med term or taken med classes, I'm sure their eyes would glaze over. If I am remembering correctly and so long ago, Gray's Anatomy and med term books were the first books I opened up in my med classes in college. I love medicine. I find it to be absolutely fascinating and have been hooked for over 10 years now!

Angie

Edited by CNA

I've never seen the show either but I am aware of it. I just don't watch TV like I used to.

We do have the book and I find my daughter with her nose in it every so often. Artists also use this book when they take anatomy classes. Inky wants to be a medical illustrator and is teaching herself anatomy so we have a few books on the topic.

Kat

I've never seen the show either but I am aware of it. I just don't watch TV like I used to.

We do have the book and I find my daughter with her nose in it every so often. Artists also use this book when they take anatomy classes. Inky wants to be a medical illustrator and is teaching herself anatomy so we have a few books on the topic.

Kat

Kat, I haven't seen the show either nor do I watch much TV anymore as well. But that is wonderful that she is so curious and is teaching herself. It's very refreshing to see she already has a passion for it. You know, I love to see self-taught education as in what your daughter is doing now or individuals that have a passion for learning and teach themselves without ever opening up a book, you know, being first-handed, their own experiences, or doing their own experiments to see the outcome and if that outcome lines up with their conclusions beforehand, etc. (ah, I love making new discoveries as well as seeing others making their own discoveries, very exhilarating!)

Since I've had the pleasure of recently walking down memory lane, I came across this book this morning and I thought I would post it. I have many more but just haven't found them yet. I know you have a few books on the topic already but maybe not this one that I want to suggest. Since Inky wants to be a medical illustrator, she may like this book: Melloni's Illustrated Review of Human Anatomy by June L. Melloni, Ida Dox, H. Paul Melloni, B. John Melloni. It's not as comprehensive and detailed as a few others I have but it is still a good book.

Angie

Ellen

___

Ellen,

I bet a lot of people haven't heard of that one or these:

Tabers Cyclopedic

Dorlands

Merck Manual (wonderful for the layman)

Physician's Desk Reference (as comprehensive as you can get, unless anyone else knows of another one)

I agree that most people probably haven't heard of any of these. If they haven't studied med term or taken med classes, I'm sure their eyes would glaze over. If I am remembering correctly and so long ago, Gray's Anatomy and med term books were the first books I opened up in my med classes in college. I love medicine. I find it to be absolutely fascinating and have been hooked for over 10 years now!

Angie

The Merck Manual 40 years ago was worthless. It listed everything it could about everything that was with no discrimination. If it hasn't changed it should be burned! :devil:

--Brant

I think the TV show is "Grey's Anatomy [spelled with an e not an a]". I've heard the name but don't know what the show is -- a hospital drama series? a medical information series?

___

Dr. Meredith Grey is the protagonist. It's set in a hospital in Seattle. -- Mike Hardy

Ellen

___

Aren't those the one's who say "Why should I need to learn

to read? I've got a TV set! -- Mike Hardy

Brant,

Damn, LMAO, let's start the bonfire and quick. I don't know about 40 years ago but it is a good book for the *layman's* perspective. I just listed randomly books that are out there aside from Gray's Anatomy that I am sure most people wouldn't be familiar with. Merck offers insight for the *layman* and any layman looking for an understanding of medicine, diseases, disorders, etc. That's why I put in parenthesis, wonderful for the layman, meaning anyone not familiar with medicine and would ultimately struggle with something such as the PDR. I wasn't saying wonderful for a professional reference or anything more indepth. The PDR should be used for that or any other medical reference of the same caliber as the PDR. Damn, Brant, you've got match in hand and ready. :devil:

Angie

The Merck Manual 40 years ago was worthless. It listed everything it could about everything that was with no discrimination. If it hasn't changed it should be burned! :devil:

--Brant

Brant,

Also consider this perspective, if you are a layman when it comes to medicine, if you were diagnosed with some sort of disease and wanted to do your own research, something to help further your own understanding of what you've been diagosed with, would you be able to understand the terminology used in the Physician's Desk Reference which is very extensive? Probably not. It would make the layman's research very frustrating into understanding their own disease or disorder. So Merck isn't worthless and shouldn't be burned. It is a good book to have around if the individual isn't familiar with medicine but wants to understand.

Angie

Victor,

Screw the camp songs, I'll supply the alcohol and the marshmallows and the accelerant needed to really get a fire going. Oy

Brant,

I'm sure you didn't mean it in the way you were speaking. I took it as your meaning a professional reference being used.

Angie

Edited by CNA

Screw the camp songs, I'll supply the alcohol and the marshmallows and the accelerant needed to really get a fire going. Oy

Yeah, and those medical books might really come in handy then...hee-hee! :poke:

Edited by Victor Pross

Ellen

___

Aren't those the one's [sic] who say "Why should I need to learn

They might be the ones who say that.

E-

PS to everyone else: Mike Hardy's and my correcting each other's grammatical errors is all in fun, a game we've been playing for years. Of course, Mike Hardy might say, What do you mean, "game," white woman?...

___

Aren't those the one's [sic] who say "Why should I need to learn

They might be the ones who say that.

Wow, I was sleeping on the job. Didn't call attention to the two missing punctuation marks...

E-

___

Malpractice most foul. Or should I say "most fowl"? Chickens, turkeys, geese,

ducks, and swans, but not pheasants? Should we try to recruit Roland Pericles

to post here, to set us straight about these important philosophical questions? -- Mike Hardy

PS to everyone else: Mike Hardy's and my correcting each other's grammatical errors is all in fun, a game we've been playing for years. Of course, Mike Hardy might say, What do you mean, "game," white woman?...

Ellen, this is the first time I've heard it suggested that you are of

Caucasian descent (Roland might say "dissent"). If you'd posted

your photograph, weed halve known that. (If you post one wear

[sic] you don't where [sic] any close [sic], I promise not to tell

you're [sic] husband.) -- Mike Hardy

You know, I think most of my puns are advertent (if you'll pardon

the expression), but I may have let another one into my comments

quote above. Don't anyone tell Ellen that, though. -- Mike Hardy

Wow, I was sleeping on the job. Didn't call attention to the two missing punctuation marks...

Malpractice most foul. Or should I say "most fowl"? Chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks, and swans, but not pheasants?

Definitely not pheasants. And probably not peacocks either.

Should we try to recruit Roland Pericles to post here, to set us straight about these important philosophical questions?

Lots of luck. He seems to be occupied impersonating Dick Eastman.

(Apologies to the rest of the list for these esoteric references. You'll just have to bear -- or should I say "bare"? -- with Mike Hardy's and my sense of humor. I started grinning as soon as I saw that Dr. Hardy had posted something on this thread, before I even read what.)

Ellen

___

Edited by Ellen Stuttle

You know, I think most of my puns are advertent (if you'll pardon

the expression), but I may have let another one into my comments

quote above. Don't anyone tell Ellen that, though. -- Mike Hardy

My "[sic [sic]] husband" has a collection of photos of me unclad, but none of those are on his computer; they were all taken in days prior to his acquiring a digital camera.

Ellen

___

Grey's Anatomy is a hollow boring medical drama.

Oh. I was wondering how one would dramatize the book. A voice-over describing the contents of sagittal and cross-sectional views of various human body parts, perhaps? Doesn't exactly sound like prime time to me.

Judith