Conspiracy theories and Conspiracy theorists

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. 

From an interview with Carla Hayden, the first female and the first black Librarian of Congress in AARP Magazine. Interviewer: Aren’t there some Lincoln items found in an unusual way?

Carla Hayen: In the 1970’s someone noted behind that door (pointing to a door in the librarian’s ceremonial office) there was a vault no one could remember being opened. Legend has it, a prisoner who was a skilled safecracker was brought in and he picked the lock and opened the door. There was one box inside, and that’s where they found the contents of President Lincoln’s pockets from the night he was assassinated – his glasses, a Confederate five-dollar bill, his pocketknife, some news clippings he carried, and so on. These treasures had been unseen for a long time. It was an incredible find. 

Even though a mini emergency has been called here in America by the CDC it is only killing 2 percent of the people who get it and most of them have compromised immune systems. I am not even sure if that is worse than your average flu virus. Did I mention that I hurt my big toe and went to a walk in clinic? Three people were coughing or sneezing and every time one of them did it the other people like me cringed and stared at them. They did keep to themselves. I washed my hands when I got home. I was given steroids which I have never taken before. At first they helped a lot but now on the third day, I am about the same. They think it may be the "gout" and I will go back on Monday and they may give me a specific medicine for gout. Gout sounds like a misdiagnosis from 1900.     

Things can be done when whole populations can be quarantined and all the planes can be grounded and everyone thinks it’s for some other reason. There are about 150,000 outstanding unsealed indictments waiting in courts in all 50 states. There were only about 10,000 of them two years ago and only a handful have been unsealed in the intervening time.

• 2 weeks later...
They cannot contain the truth that #CoronarvirusOutbreak originated in a lab, so their excuse is that a bat peed on a scientist who didn't wash their hands. Dumb. Why does a deadly disease have a PATENT IN THE FIRST PLACE? #GatesFoundation
7:12 AM · Feb 17, 2020

I want to go back to the premise of this thread.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:34 PM, KorbenDallas said:

As an Objectivist, I identified that the fallacy of the package deal is present in every conspiracy theory I see. 

Let's set aside "every conspiracy theory I see" as a bit of hyperbole since it's obvious that every real conspiracy started being detected in the public mind as a conspiracy theory.

In terms of evolution, though, this opening premise is about as wrong as it can be.

Even though the reason is common sense, the one to say why just now said it loudly--Nassim Nicholas Taleb, the darling of globalist economists through his bud, Daniel Kahnemann, but now considered a traitor to the globalists, and author of books like The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly ImprobableAntifragile: Things That Gain from DisorderSkin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life, and several other bestsellers.

That applies to philosophy folks, too.

Michael

Korben may have plagiarized a drunk third-grader somewhere, is how his project reads, to me.

Look at this:

Conspiracy theories might pose an intellectual challenge but they are divorced from reality, though using elements of reality to create them.  A conspiracy theory is a lie, a lie is any attempt at faking reality.  Those people who create them are liars, and many fit into Rand's category of the Witch Doctor.”

Corona Virus mutating. Italy calls off sporting events. Death toll stands at 50 in Iran. South Korea ramping up medical response. First death reported in Taiwan. I did the math yesterday and close to 3 percent of the people who get the virus, are dying. But can we trust the numbers coming out of Communist China? I don’t. Gov’t employees in America are using hand sanitizers and other methods to not get or spread the disease. At some point I may start wearing a mask and gloves and avoiding crowds, shopping, or using carts at the food market. It sounds comical but watch for sellouts of  toilet paper and other staples. Or someone starting a coronavirus thread here on Objectivist Living. Peter   

From Fox. Market sell-off. Dow erasing 2020 gains. Monday 12:45 Dow at 28,070, down 3.06 percent but it had been down further 15 minutes ago.

On 2/13/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jon Letendre said:

Fake Noose

This scumbag who wanted a race war is not going to be treated well in prison.

And Cory Booker and Kamala Harris will go down in flames with him.

Indictment with six new charges ... 

“Television actor Jussie Smollett will be arraigned Monday on a six-count indictment charging him with falsely reporting that he was the victim of a racist and homophobic attack near his Chicago home.”

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2020/02/24/actor-jussie-smollett-to-be-indicted-on-6-new-charges/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The coronavirus may have come from Chinese biological weapons labs.

According to the Post, after Chinese President Xi Jinping recently warned about the need to prevent similar viral outbreaks in the future, the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology released a new document, titled, "Instructions on strengthening biosecurity management in microbiology labs that handle advanced viruses like the novel coronavirus." Additionally, there is only one microbiology lab in the China capable of handling the deadly coronavirus: the National Biosafety Laboratory, which is part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

Fun question.

How does 2% mortality rate constitute a deadly threat?

:)

Isn't that about the same rate as the flu or something?

Ebola is a deadly threat.

But this thing?

How?

(Don't ask the press. They ain't sayin'. Not if facts are at issue. They're too busy controlling the narrative to be bothered with facts.)

Michael

5 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Isn't that about the same rate as the flu or something?

The 1918 flu pandemic was one of the worst. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

World: 50 million deaths / 1.9 billion population = 2.6%

USA: 675,000 deaths / 102 million population = 0.66%

675,000 deaths was more than the 600,000 Civil War deaths, but not percent-wise.

2 hours ago, merjet said:

The 1918 flu pandemic...

Merlin,

Dayamm!

Here I thought we were discussing 2020 and the coronavirus. And maybe the flu in 2020.

:)

btw - Breaking news. I heard that lots of other illnesses killed lots more people in the past than today, also.

If you're interested, maybe you could supply us some stats?

:evil: 

Michael

btw - Here's what is happening right in front of the whole world with the coronavirus.

1. China has made a huge crackdown on its people, who were starting to get a bit restless.

2. Globalists like this crackdown idea and are pushing for the same in other parts of the world.

3. Nobody is talking about Hong Kong anymore.

And it's all about a virus with a reported 2% mortality rate that the Chinese probably manufactured in a biochemical weapons lab.

Think about it.

My God! The sky is falling! Big Brother will save us, huh?

Michael

3 hours ago, merjet said:

World: 50 million deaths / 1.9 billion population = 2.6%

Incidentally, this stat is bogus as a comparison to the coronavirus 2% mortality rate.

You have to measure the people who caught the flu in 1918, not people who were never even exposed to it.

The current coronavirus 2% mortality rate is a measurement of people who caught the damn thing.

Seeking gotchas at any price is a lonesome way to argue.

Michael

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Incidentally, this stat is bogus as a comparison to the coronavirus 2% mortality rate.

You have to measure the people who caught the flu in 1918, not people who were never even exposed to it.

The current coronavirus 2% mortality rate is a measurement of people who caught the damn thing.

The percent of people who caught the 1918 flu who died from it would have been somewhat over 5%, going by Merlin's figure for population size, since about 40% of the populace caught that flu.  It's considered to have been one of the worst pandemics we know of.

A 2% death rate from an infectious disease is quite high.  That's 2 fatalities in 100 cases.  I think that probably if a flu strain in the US had that death rate, people who caught it would be quarantined.

According to a summary of CDC data I saw, the death rate from flu this season in the US is about 0.05% so far, and the typical seasonal US flu death rate is about 0.1%.  (I haven't checked out those figures.)

Ellen

23 minutes ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

According to a summary of CDC data I saw, the death rate from flu this season in the US is about 0.05% so far, and the typical seasonal US flu death rate is about 0.1%.  (I haven't checked out those figures.)

Ellen,

And there's this reassurance:

Granted, this is to calm down the panic. But knowing President Trump, he has the best and the brightest all over this thing.

The real danger of the coronavirus, to me, is if it mutates into something really nasty.

Michael

17 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

8 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Seeking gotchas at any price is a lonesome way to argue.

MSK is psychologizing again. After stating a mortality rate without saying what the denominator is! Oh, my.

• Like 1