Donald Trump

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Don't forget, an essential part of an addiction is the craving when the high goes away.

That's interesting.  TDS as an addiction to an emotional surge.

On that basis, they should vote for Trump so as not to be deprived of their superiority fix.

Ellen

1 hour ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

That's interesting.  TDS as an addiction to an emotional surge.

On that basis, they should vote for Trump so as not to be deprived of their superiority fix.

Ellen,

LOL...

Logically that makes sense.

But I can tell you as a former addict, when addicts are in the throes of a binge, they burn through their stash like there is no tomorrow.

🙂

Michael

“Well, I’ll be darned,” said Ronald Reagan, also known as The Gipper.

It’s a bit early and not yet midnight, but from RCP and CNN, August 17, 2020. General Election, Biden 50, Trump 46. Biden + 4

It does look that perhaps there is no positive Kamala affect. However the composite polling still shows Biden ahead by around 7 percent.

On another front I had about 7 requests for money from the DJT campaign. It may be that time . . . for those crushing ads to begin.

9 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

TDS as an addiction to an emotional surge.

Ellen,

I'm doing a thing on Shadownet elsewhere on OL. I just stumbled across it the other day and when I started looking, I went, woah...

It just hit me that the people using Shadownet (and similar) not only deal with the core stories and core beliefs of their targets, they also set up their communications to trigger these emotional surge payoffs. TDS actually does provide one hell of a high when a Trump hater cuts loose and blurts out venom. All he needs is the right image at the right moment. 🙂 I bet the people using Shadownet even know the best times of day to feed those images to their TDS targets.

Shadownet is an Internet program invented for, and used by the US military, but now also used by private companies. There are several types and brands these days going under different names. It employs artificial intelligence to manipulate massive surveillance and social media data. It creates personas and stories and fake news and other disinformation, and feeds all that to the different groups that it segments. It often has its different personas fight each other with totally made-up--but plausible-sounding--material to trigger the impulse of onlookers to join in on one side or the other until hostile crowds form and start breaking things. Or it can use real people personas who are coached in what to do and say. It is wickedly effective and behind a lot of the unrest in America that the media covers these days, such media coverage also being prompted and encouraged by the people using Shadownet and similar, of course.

One of the guys who invented it (Patrick Bergy) is a huge Trump supporter because he says President Trump refuses to use this technology to manipulate his supporters despite being constantly offered it. The closest he came to full on engagement was with Cambridge Analytica, which kinda botched its promises of specific outcomes through overselling (I believe, through greed of money and fame and cutting corners on scraping data from Facebook 🙂 ). In that whole Cambridge Analytica scandal, nobody ever talked about artificial intelligence manipulating the data, not even Facebook...

But it was there for whoever wanted to use it.

Granted, the following video is more recent than back then (the video is from 2019 and back then was 2016), but it gives a great cartoon-like easily understandable visual representation of what AI algorithms are capable of.

Imagine these kinds of algorithms run gazillions of times on surveillance data with the goal of, say, figuring out how to trigger a likely powerful neurochemical surge in the brains of Trump haters (and, of course, other scenarios).

I wonder why nobody talks about this, I wonder...

🙂 

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

I'm doing a thing on Shadownet elsewhere on OL

Shadow Net? Trivia time. Who directed the movie, “The Green Berets”? John Wayne.

I have asked this before but who’s birth name is Hans-Jörg Gudegast? Who played in the National Challenge Cup as a fullback with the Jewish American soccer club Maccabi Los Angeles, scoring the winning goal in the semifinal and a penalty kick in the final against Cleveland Internationals”?

Eric Braeden better known as Victor Newman on “The Young and the Restless.”

That Shadow Net thingee reminded me of a Eric Braeden movie.

From Wikipedia. Colossus: The Forbin Project (a.k.a. The Forbin Project) is a 1970 American science fiction thriller film from Universal Pictures, produced by Stanley Chase, directed by Joseph Sargent, that stars Eric BraedenSusan ClarkGordon Pinsent, and William Schallert. The film is based upon the 1966 science fiction novel Colossus by Dennis Feltham Jones,[1] about an advanced American defense system, named Colossus, becoming sentient. After being handed full control, Colossus' draconian logic expands on its original nuclear defense directives to assume total control of the world and end all warfare for the good of mankind despite its creators' orders to stop.[2]

11 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

TDS actually does provide one hell of a high when a Trump hater cuts loose and blurts out venom. All he needs is the right image at the right moment.

I've seen that - a reaction as on-trigger as Pavlov's dogs salivating and producing the TDS person's becoming all plumped up with righteous rage and presumably feeling very high, and with a lingering energizing after glow.

Ellen

2 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:

I've seen that - a reaction as on-trigger as Pavlov's dogs salivating and producing the TDS person's becoming all plumped up with righteous rage and presumably feeling very high, and with a lingering energizing after glow.

Ellen

Ellen,

That's a very good description. And once you've seen it with that kind of clarity and in a form that makes sense to you, you will start seeing it all over the place. It's like buying a Jeep. If you have never thought of a Jeep before, you never see one on the road. But once you buy one, Jeeps are all over the place. 🙂 

On another note, if you are ever interested, the way of triggering addiction through social media (and media in general) is based on the work and theories developed by BJ Fogg. One of his students, Nir Eyal, developed a very simple algorithm to create and perpetuate addiction that is used in almost all social media apps.

Once you add that to artificial intelligence (especially the AI algorithms learning through trial and error), storytelling (with the current awareness of how--and at what points--stories release oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, etc. in audience brains), and mass surveillance data banks, it's easy to start seeing the enormous load of Pavlovian bells in our culture the gods of addiction can ding anytime they want--not just that these bells exist, but how they work.

Awareness and volition fight this, but people are distracted most of the time and in passive mode. They are especially vulnerable to the dinging when in that state. (This is not criticism, it's just the way the brain operates. Using willpower consumes calories on the level of hard exercise, so most of the time the free will part of the mind rests while the rest of the brain runs on autopilot.)

This is a part of human nature that is critical to understand if we want to keep authoritarians at bay and pursue our individual happiness based on values we choose. Unfortunately, within Objectivism, there is a lot of resistance to the very notion that this stuff exists. Many Objectivists will tell you right out, and in an aggressive tone, "Nobody manipulates me."

They tend to get that TDS look you just described when they say it, too.

🙂 

Michael

3 hours ago, Ellen Stuttle said:
15 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

TDS actually does provide one hell of a high when a Trump hater cuts loose and blurts out venom. All he needs is the right image at the right moment.

"[Insert name] Derangement Syndrome" aka Neurotic Angry Opposition -- or maybe Psychotic Rage.

Does this guy fit the criteria for irrational or deranged opinions?

18 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Does this guy fit the criteria for irrational or deranged opinions?

William,

Actually, yes.

Orange Man Bad and nothing of substance. That's all that's in the video.

That's rational?

No. That's not rational.

You need a better example.

Besides, go out drinking with this guy and I would bet money you will see the neurochemical payoff when dissing Trump that Ellen described so well.

:evil: 

Michael

My emotions were hijacked videoly, and it's a clip that will not get much air play. When Robert leaned in and kissed his brother , an obvious genuine moment , a moment I never imagined I'd see associated with DJT , in the media.

7 hours ago, Jonathan said:

TDS is intensifying. It’s hilarious watching them go apeshit over what they’ve been told to believe about Trump and the post office.

For people supposedly opposed, I notice they are surprisingly capable of belief in fairly wild conspiracy theories, if conditions are right.

7 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

William,

Actually, yes.

Orange Man Bad and nothing of substance. That's all that's in the video.

That's rational?

No. That's not rational.

You need a better example.

Besides, go out drinking with this guy and I would bet money you will see the neurochemical payoff when dissing Trump that Ellen described so well.

:evil: 

Michael

I watched the video. Another Deep Stater from early in the admin that got cleaned right out of there.

I laughed when he said that Trump told California to stop paying people who lost their homes.

Q covers the fires in CA.

Trump stopped paying because the Pelosi/Newsom families, who control San Fran for generations now, were pocketing those funds for their own programs and purposes. They were starting fires to skim from the federal funds. Trump cut them off. Making America Great Again.

Disgusting propaganda? The top three Microsoft stories at 12:05?  House vote to block postal, allocate mail funds changes from The New York Times. From The Hill. Pelosi on Trump’s very dangerous FDA attack.  From The Washington Post: Trump looks to RNC for campaign reset.

Like a pack of wolves, they have not conscious or shame. Peter   

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Like a pack of wolves, they have not conscious or shame. Peter   

Peter,

You mean conscience? No matter, I prefer conscious because they do seem braindead.

:)

Here is what they are afraid of: The RNC.

The DNC laid a turkey egg with the public. The RNC is going to kill it.

The reason was very well articulated by Rush Limbaugh yesterday. The gist: not only is President Trump's bond with his supporters unbreakable by the Democrats, but he has an extraordinary ability to say what he means for the future in a form his followers--and others--can see in their minds.

Transcript:

Trump’s Inaugural vs. Biden’s Bromides

RUSH: I want to get a couple of sound bites in.

I want to remind you, show you, illustrate the difference of what I was just talking about: The comforting inside-the-Beltway, banal bromides and cliches versus somebody who literally intends to shake things up. Let’s go back to Trump’s inaugural address. We have two sound bites. January 20th, 2017. Here’s the first…

THE PRESIDENT: For too long, a small group in our nation’s capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished, but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered, but the jobs left, and the factories closed.

RUSH: I’m watching this, and you’ve got ex-presidents there. Like George W. Bush was there, and he was looking around like he was listening to a foreign language. And when it was over and everybody was leaving, somebody in the press caught up with George W. Bush and said, “What do you think of that, Mr. Pres?” He said, “Well, that was some weird [crap],” except he didn’t say “crap.” (summarized) “That was some weird crap right there, man, let me tell you.”

It shook them up.

It reverberated from their insides.

Here’s another example….

THE PRESIDENT: The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories. Their triumphs have not been your triumphs. And while they celebrated in our nation’s capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land.

RUSH: So, now, let’s just pick a random passage from Biden’s speech last night and compare. Number 3. Three, two, one. Hit it.

BIDEN: Here and now I give you my word: If you entrust me with the presidency, I will draw on the best of us, not the worst. I’ll be an ally of the light, not darkness.

RUSH: Big whoop. Big whoop.

BIDEN: It’s time for us — for we, the people — to come together. And make no mistake. United we can and will overcome this season of darkness in America.

RUSH: This season of darkness has been brought to us by you, Mr. Biden, and your party. And this week you have perfected the descent into apocalyptic darkness. But you see vacancy, the banality, the emptiness, the no specificity in this?

To highlight Biden's emptiness, I, actually, like another passage in his speech--part of the summary near the end:

This is our moment to make hope and history rhyme. 

With passion and purpose, let us begin – you and I together, one nation, under God – united in our love for America and united in our love for each other. 

For love is more powerful than hate. 

Hope is more powerful than fear. 

Light is more powerful than dark.  

This is our moment.

This is our mission. 

Doesn't that sound like a High School Valedictorian graduation speech by a not-so-talented kid?

Platitudes with rah rah rah...

Seriously, think about it.

The Trump supporter hears The President say that the elites have had victories and have not shared them with the American people. Instead they gutted the American people. And the people look at the mess the country is in, including their own jobs, and how the elites did that, but also how well off the elites are while they suffer, and they feel glad they voted for President Trump.

Since then they have seen President Trump making his victories their victories, meaning money in their pockets from realizing their professional dreams and taking care of their families in style. Not to mention wiping the Caliphate out and things like that. And they have seen the elites lying their asses off to attack President Trump, even staging an impeachment on bogus charges.

There is no way in hell they will vote for anyone but him for a second term.

Now imagine someone undecided and going crazy from the shutdown hearing Biden say, "... love is more powerful than hate. Hope is more powerful than fear. Light is more powerful than dark. This is our moment. This is our mission." Like Rush said, this might sound good to a Washington insider, but out there in America? 

Imagine the person thinking, Damn, that sounds like a lot better deal than what Trump offers. I can pay down my mortgage with it and tell my boss or customers that we should not worry about the lack of work or lack of money. We can replace all that with our love, hope and light, which is more powerful than hate, fear and dark. I feel it, I feel it. This is the solution to all my problems. I want to savor this Biden moment. I want be a part of this Biden mission. I think I'll vote for Biden.

When do you think that will ever happen? Like maybe never?

That difference is what the legacy press is afraid of. And they think they can sever the bond between Trump and his supporters, while fooling folks into ignoring Biden's shortcomings, by lying. The problem is aggravated by the fact that everybody, including Biden supporters, know the mainstream press lies by default.

But they lie anyway. That's all they've got left to feed their craving for power and the unearned. So they embellish their lies with more lies and hope that works.

Michael

• Like 1

I don't think we mentioned this. 

A few days ago, President Trump made this tweet.

There's a whole backstory here. Basically, companies all over the place have been infiltrated with woke advisors who have convinced management that their companies will suffer if they don't ban Trump support from the workplace and a lot of other silly stuff. Management in many companies has caved. 

I believe there are some heavy billionaire players placing these woke idiots. Also, there are bots to generate an online illusion.

So President Trump showed Goodyear what happens when the person they boycott boycotts right back.

Goodyear lost a shit-ton of money in this mess.

I bet the woke advisors don't have much of a career there to look forward to anymore. :) After all, companies run on bottom line considerations.

And I bet a lot of other companies who were headed in the SJW BLM direction looked at Goodyear woke up for real.

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

So President Trump showed Goodyear what happens when the person they boycott boycotts right back.

Goodyear lost a shit-ton of money in this mess.

It’s amazing how MSK quickly “knows” so much about Goodyear’s money! Trump tweets and MSK’s wishful thinking has an actual big revenue loss in a mere 4 days! Goodyear did report a big loss for Q2, but that ended June 30, well before the Goodyear controversy started.

Trump’s tweet might also cause him to lose some votes. Imagine the revenue effect on Goodyear will be a sharp drop leading to layoffs, and John Doe, or Independents or Republicans he knows who aren’t fond of Trump, loses his job, or the others lose their jobs, at Goodyear.

Scott Adams has a far more rational view of the Goodyear controversy here stating at 1:08:15 than MSK does. Adams at least seems to see that Trump is like the proverbial bull in a china shop.

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, william.scherk said:

"[Insert name] Derangement Syndrome" aka Neurotic Angry Opposition -- or maybe Psychotic Rage.

I noted Mary Trump's 'disgruntled relative' bestseller.  Yesterday a major national newspaper published partial transcripts and partial recordings of Mary Trump conversations with Maryanne Trump Barry, President Trump's sister. The recordings were surreptitiously recorded, which is apparently quite legal in New York. Politics can be such a dirty business.

Maryanne Trump Barry, President Trump’s older sister and a former federal judge, described him as a liar who has “no principles” in a series of audio recordings made by her niece, Mary L. Trump, in 2018 and 2019.

The recordings were provided to The Washington Post, which published them online Saturday night. In the recording, Ms. Barry can be heard disparaging her brother’s performance as president.

From  contact@victory.donaldtrump.com Sun 8/23/2020 11:16 PM

What will the Trump administration do in his next term as President?

They will create MORE jobs, CUT taxes, PROTECT American jobs

The Coronavirus will be ERADICATED

America will END its reliance on China and bring back 1 MILLION manufacturing jobs

Insurance premiums will be LOWERED, Social Security and Medicare will be protected, prescription drug prices will be CUT, and preexisting conditions will be covered

School Choice will be provided to EVERY Child in America

We will DRAIN THE SWAMP by passing Congressional term limits

Law enforcement will be fully funded

NO more sanctuary cities, human trafficking networks will be dismantled, and illegal immigrants will be BLOCKED from becoming eligible for taxpayer-funded welfare, healthcare, and free college tuition

We will establish a permanently manned presence on the moon and send the first manned mission to Mars

STOP Endless Wars and bring our troops home