Donald Trump

1 hour ago, Peter said:

The Donald’s grandfather was a German immigrant named Frederick Drumpf who emigrated to the U.S. in 1885 and became a naturalized citizen in 1892.

trumptown.png

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Brant,

There's an easy reason Trump gets more press coverage and press people talk about it openly. I have seen this discussed several times on prime-time TV news shows on different channels.

Trump shows up to the press. The other candidates do not most of the time. The other candidates tend to cherry-pick invitations and demand restrictions on topics. Trump has no fear of uncomfortable topics and he shows up everywhere he can where is invited. His restrictions tend to be based on time constraints, not on focus groups. In a few cases when he gets really pissed at a reporter, he will not longer be available (like with Megyn Kelly--but even that restriction is going away now), and sometimes he will cool on a reporter (like Joe Scarborough and Mika), but after a while, he comes back.

In short, one of the reasons the press covers Trump more is that he is always there for them to cover.

btw - His support is more massive than it appears. Just look at the number of voters as compared to other elections to get an idea. See here from a few days ago: Donald Trump could amass most primary votes in GOP history.

Actually, he will. He's already passed Romney and there are still 10 states to go.

Michael

Primary votes are one thing. General or national will be another. Cruz has to do better in the west than the northeast and Cruz has to do better in the west than the northeast.

--Brant

it ain't over until it's over

If Trump is nominated all we can do is buy up all the popcorn and soda pop needed for the duration

1 hour ago, Brant Gaede said:

If Trump is nominated all we can do is buy up all the popcorn and soda pop needed for the duration

Brant,

What you will see will probably surprise you.

I had an insight the other day when Trump was speaking about his wins and qualities, generally bragging about his position. I thought where have I seen this before? I'm not talking about Trump doing it. I'm talking about elsewhere. With others. It's so damn familiar.

Then it hit me.

Sports interviews.

Trump often responds the way sports stars do when an interviewer asks them questions about their techniques, their expectations, their opponents, etc. The next time his is interviewed on TV, try to see it through this lens. 

Sometimes he's like a football player (or player of other team sports) after a game, sometimes he's like an Olympics solo sports contestant like a swimmer or runner, sometimes he's like a boxer or MMA dude full of 275 pounds of raw pain and punishment for his opponent.

But it's all sports. And people in the USA constantly pay big money to see this stuff. When it's broadcast, they are all eyes. Big audiences. Huuuuuuuge...

Trump's similar demeanor is a subconscious familiarity marker that is going to make average voters quite comfortable with him in the general election. 

Just watch.

You might as well since everybody else will and like what they see... Why? Because those who are not paying attention right now (all sides) already like it elsewhere before they will see him doing it. It will feel right to them and I bet not many will realize why.

Michael

This is the money quote that everyone will remember...

We will no longer surrender this country, or its people, to the false song of globalism.

Perfectly written sentence that crystallizes what folks know to be true.

Beware entangling alliances...

Beware of the military industrial complex which now reads the military industrial educational media complex.

Two generals separated by 163 years know it is a false song...

A... 

Also, another reason why the media gravitates to Trump.  

Rush I believe pointed this out yesterday.  

Ratings...ratings...and ratings.

He increases their viewers and that means money.

It is that simple.

A...

Adam,

In that AirWatch article linked to here on OL: Fear and Loathing of Donald Trump, Mark correctly comments on the difference between populist and popular.

He was bashing Yaron Brook, but his comment is often true for the media at large and definitely true of a few others in O-Land. A populist like Huey Long ran on a share of the wealth type platform. Trump is popular because he reflects the unaddressed concerns of lots of Americans.

Just because someone is popular, that does not make them a populist. Ayn Rand herself was popular, but definitely not a collectivist.

You can make the same argument about tribalism and Trump's America First position. He is reflecting what people already think. Just because people want America to be strong, especially because they live here, that doesn't make them xenophobic chauvinists hell-bent on isolationist fascism. It certainly has nothing to do with Charles Lindbergh and the Nazis (like I have seen some intellectualoids try to argue). Trump's America First is not tribalism in the sense of individuals sacrificing their individual hopes and dreams to the tribe. It means using American resources for America before using them for other countries. And it means keeping America safe. 

To use Ayn Rand once again, she loved America and wanted America to come first. She often said so loudly. That did not make her a tribalist.

The good news is that this super-popular America First sentiment is going to win this time around with the super-popular Donald Trump.

Michael

31 minutes ago, Selene said:

We will no longer surrender this country, or its people, to the false song of globalism.

Adam,

True. That is from Donald Trump's recent foreign policy speech. (btw - I like your tie to George Washington's foreign policy.)

Another money quote from that same speech is the following:

... I will work with our allies to reinvigorate Western values and institutions. Instead of trying to spread “universal values” that not everyone shares, we should understand that strengthening and promoting Western civilization and its accomplishments will do more to inspire positive reforms around the world than military interventions.

Take that, multiculturalists.

:) 

And I expect the following one to resonate strongly since it has the WIIFM factor. (WIIFM = what's in it for me.)

Under a Trump Administration, no American citizen will ever again feel that their needs come second to the citizens of foreign countries.

Finally somebody is showing up who makes sense on this level. The American government should serve the American people.

It's kinda duh... yet this quote comes off in our culture as a fresh thought. No wonder Trump calls the establishment a bunch of morons.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Brant,

What you will see will probably surprise you.

I had an insight the other day when Trump was speaking about his wins and qualities, generally bragging about his position. I thought where have I seen this before? I'm not talking about Trump doing it. I'm talking about elsewhere. With others. It's so damn familiar.

Then it hit me.

Sports interviews.

Trump often responds the way sports stars do when an interviewer asks them questions about their techniques, their expectations, their opponents, etc. The next time his is interviewed on TV, try to see it through this lens. 

Sometimes he's like a football player (or player of other team sports) after a game, sometimes he's like an Olympics solo sports contestant like a swimmer or runner, sometimes he's like a boxer or MMA dude full of 275 pounds of raw pain and punishment for his opponent.

But it's all sports. And people in the USA constantly pay big money to see this stuff. When it's broadcast, they are all eyes. Big audiences. Huuuuuuuge...

Trump's similar demeanor is a subconscious familiarity marker that is going to make average voters quite comfortable with him in the general election. 

Just watch.

You might as well since everybody else will and like what they see... Why? Because those who are not paying attention right now (all sides) already like it elsewhere before they will see him doing it. It will feel right to them and I bet not many will realize why.

Michael

Women don't watch that much sports compared to men.

--Brant

killjoy

15 minutes ago, Brant Gaede said:

Ted Cruz is a conservative. Donald Trump is not.

Brant,

I don't fully agree with this. It's one of the myths now circulating that will fall over time.

Ted Cruz is one kind of conservative (a very Christian kind) and Donald Trump is another kind (a more Rand-friendly kind, in fact--but you will have to see that to believe it).

Michael

1 hour ago, Selene said:

I think so, absolutely.  It was the sentence that stayed with me the longest,

Here are a couple others that stood out to me:

[...] – the jobs, incomes and security of the American worker will always be my first priority.

No country has ever prospered that failed to put its own interests first.  Both our friends and enemies put their countries above ours and we, while being fair to them, must do the same.

Rational self-interest, and I thought this, "No person has ever prospered that failed to put his own interests first."  Sounds almost straight out of VoS.

Then this one stood out to me as well:

I will be America’s greatest defender and most loyal champion. We will not apologize for becoming successful again, but will instead embrace the unique heritage that makes us who we are.

Rand was a champion of Man, of mankind, of what he is capable of and can be.  Rand loved America--of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness--and I'm seeing shades of that here.  And don't apologize.  Ever.  Be Proud of what you've done and have accomplished.

I want to be a proud American again.  I'm ashamed of America under Obama's watch.

We gotta fix this shit guys.

There's an orange-faced man that wants to do it.

Get on board.

Go Trump!

1 hour ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Adam,

True. That is from Donald Trump's recent foreign policy speech. (btw - I like your tie to George Washington's foreign policy.)

Another money quote from that same speech is the following:

Take that, multiculturalists.

:) 

And I expect the following one to resonate strongly since it has the WIIFM factor. (WIIFM = what's in it for me.)

Finally somebody is showing up who makes sense on this level. The American government should serve the American people.

It's kinda duh... yet this quote comes off in our culture as a fresh thought. No wonder Trump calls the establishment a bunch of morons.

Michael

Yes, those two stood out in sharp contrast with the status quo state of mind.

Roman citizens could walk anywhere in the known world with absolute certitude that if they were harmed, the city state they were harmed in would be razed to the ground.

Now, an American citizen gets nothing in being an American citizen except derision, torture and death.

As an aside, both Brant's father and my father were members of the America First movement for a period of time and my father was a libertarian man before we had the word for it.  Fascism never.

A...

2 hours ago, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

Brant,

I don't fully agree with this. It's one of the myths now circulating that will fall over time.

Ted Cruz is one kind of conservative (a very Christian kind) and Donald Trump is another kind (a more Rand-friendly kind, in fact--but you will have to see that to believe it).

Michael

If you fully agree with me, me worries.

--Brant

carefree

1 hour ago, Selene said:

Yes, those two stood out in sharp contrast with the status quo state of mind.

Roman citizens could walk anywhere in the known world with absolute certitude that if they were harmed, the city state they were harmed in would be razed to the ground.

Now, an American citizen gets nothing in being an American citizen except derision, torture and death.

As an aside, both Brant's father and my father were members of the America First movement for a period of time and my father was a libertarian man before we had the word for it.  Fascism never.

A...

My father doesn't get your father's credit.

--Brant

I wish he did

15 hours ago, Selene said:

It is that simple.

A...

This is sooo totally Capitalism. :)

Trump offers something of value to the media... and the media offers something of value to Trump.

WIN/WIN

Heck, just look at this monster thread as a microcosm.of Trump's abilities. :lol: 

Greg

Greg wrote: Trump offers something of value to the media... and the media offers something of value to Trump. WIN/WIN end quote

Should we wait for the Indiana vote to be concluded on Tuesday before dismissing the Cruz  / Fiorina ticket? Maybe. Unfortunately for the pro – Cruz or anti-Trump folks, and one stupid and dubious Indiana poll that showed Cruz with a 16 percent lead, he is losing in every other poll including the RCP, which is a combination of multiple polls. If Cruz can’t win Indiana he should drop out, even if there is a path for a contested convention. No one should want the Presidency so badly (or the Vice Presidency like Kasich) that they cannot see inevitable defeat and very bad feelings within the Republican Party. Carl Cameron is saying Trump has a 15 point, blow out lead in Indiana. And Bubba Trump has yet to fully draw his sword.

On the Cruz, (say it isn’t so, stay in) side? A Fox reporter said that up to now, Trump has received 2 billion dollars in free Press time. He will continue getting a pass because of the headlines and interest he generates, as Greg - Moralist thinks. Yet, Trump will continue to blunder, as when he recently said the only thing Clinton has going for her is the fact that she is a woman. The Trump interviewer mentioned the fact that she was also a Senator, Secretary of State, and a potent advocate for women’s rights too. But Trump refused to back down. He royally pisses off women, in spite of Michael’s insistence on the opposite. He royally pisses off Hispanics like Geraldo Rivera, (who is a friend and was a colleague on Celebrity Apprentice for six weeks. How can Trump boast about breaking up illegal’s families, he asks?) So there is a potential for disaster in anyone’s campaign, but can even The Donald go too far? He will go too far.

Madam Secretary? Saying President Clinton could cause confusion. Should we say Madam President when you are elected, to not confuse the issue? It would be funny to call Bill, First Mister. Or Mister Bill. Would you mind?  

Peter       

1 hour ago, moralist said:
16 hours ago, Selene said:

It is that simple.

A...

This is sooo totally Capitalism. :)

Trump offers something of value to the media... and the media offers something of value to Trump.

WIN/WIN

Heck, just look at this monster thread as a microcosm.of Trump's abilities. :lol: 

Greg

I certainly wouldn't blame Trump, nor credit his abilities, for this thread. It strikes me less as an example of what is "totally Capitalism" and more like one of those documentaries about how a hoarder's house looks after years of shutting himself away from the world, with piles and piles of worthless crap piled all over. It is fascinating, but also kind of gross. I'm not proud of having helped create it, but I take some solace in having been a relatively minor part of the process.

REB

On April 29, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Michael Stuart Kelly said:

You talk of Messiah and revenge and so on, comparing me to Diana Brickell (formerly Hsieh), saying I am going to denounce my friends later and God knows what else.

[...]

Trump is going to dismantle the neocon Endless War machine and put peaceful trade in its place. But he is not going to persecute neocons or people who opposed him. I have no idea where you get this kind of notion. He may mouth off back, but persecute and exact revenge through state force? I just don't see it.

[...]

You may find this hard to swallow, but I believe Donald Trump is one of the most principled men ever to run for high office. Not a Messiah. A principled producer. He does not express his principles in the standard jargon accepted in O-Land and he has street smarts, but by God he lives by his principles. He builds beautiful stuff that he sells to others on a free and open market and is proud of it. And he does not make his money with war. He makes it by producing stuff.

[...]

I can't help but notice that pro-Trump people are welcoming, orderly, behaved people who are immune to learning hatred like that you express. You are not the only anti-Trump person I know who lives in such hatred, either. There are several I know personally. But I know of no Trump supporter who does likewise. Maybe a fringe wacko here and there, but you get hateful wackos with supporters of almost anything and anyone. Anyway, you guys (the people I know) are not fringe wackos.

[...]

In general, if you talk to a Trump supporter in this election, he talks back in a friendly manner. Anti-Trump people, on the other hand, have behaved more like angry cultists who feel attacked. Sorry, but this is true. 

I, myself, have been called all kinds of names by people I like when I have expressed my support of Trumpo. I have been barred from talking to certain people. I have been told I am unprincipled, that I only think with my emotions, that I worship a Trump Messiah (you yourself say that), and on and on and on. 

Now Trump is winning and it seems like this is the worst sin in the world. Freedom as we know it is going to become Nazism. The American experiment is over. The sky is falling...

Sorry, but I'm happy Trump is winning. I meant it when I supported him and I still mean it. But it's an election and nothing more. 

I was deeply disappointed when Obama won the election--twice. But I took it like a man. This is the way America works. I don't recall ever behaving like I have been treated by anti-Trump people, nor do I recall anti-Trump people ever treating Obama supporters the way they treat Trump supporters. Why is their passionate hatred reserved for Trump and not for Hillary or Obama, or even worse, actual dictators out there in the world? I always see them talk against these enemies of freedom, but I rarely see in them the same passion as when they get on their anti-Trump harrangues.

It makes you wonder why such people want to eat their own...

Michael,

One trivial thing: Diana Mertz Brickell Hsieh is still Dr. Diana Hsieh.  (You didn't know her when she was Ms. Brickell.)   I was twisting her name around the way Roger (who did know her when she was Ms. Brickell) sometimes does.

I can't help comparing you to a Christian missionary, or some other sort who believes in a Messiah and spreads the Good News on His account, because you and I don't seem to be operating by the same standards of evidence.

In our exchanges over the past few weeks, your response to any point that is critical of Donald Trump in any respect has been to treat it as though it contained no evidence—or as though any evidence or argument that might be in it deserve no consideration.  It's all "gotchas," or something only a member of the Establishment would even think mattered, or it's ruled out because it pre-dates Donald Trump's announcement of June 16, 2015 (any political history that pre-dates The Annunciation has been cleansed from the record, unless it pertains to the perfidies of the Bush clan, or of neocons).

Or it just can't be right, because of the evidence available to your own two eyes.  Even when the truth or falsity of what is being claimed is something I can't just see, and I reckon you can't either.

Or it's proof that the person who would say such things can't see you, and can't see anyone else who supports the Trump campaign.

Now what would a devout Christian, of any sort, particularly the kind not gifted in dialectic and suspicious of those who are, be likely to say in response to criticisms of Jesus?

Contrast all of these reactions with my responses to criticisms of Ted Cruz, or of anyone else outside the Trump camp.

Have any of them been like your reactions to criticisms of Donald Trump?

(Even when I think Trump and crew are taking an Establishment line against someone, as in his curiously favorable remarks about Mitch McConnell, I go to some trouble to explain why I think so.)

As for the moral standing of the man, Donald Trump appears to have attained perfection in your eyes, or to be so close a scrape from it that the difference hardly matters.  He can't simply be a man of unusual courage, or great outspokenness, or unusual organizational skill, or extreme chutzpah, or off-the-charts ability to sell nearly anything, he has to be the entire antidote, packaged up into one human being, to everything ailing or rotten in our political system.  In particular. he must, lest he fail to qualify for his saving mission, be entirely free of the vices customarily associated with politicians.

And since Donald Trump has a long record of public statements on nearly every subject, many of which contradict the statements he is making now, he even gets his own era, beginning when he was called to his present mission, at the age of 68 (nothing he did of a political nature counts, if he did it before that date).  If he is elected President, will there be a movement to replace 2015 in the old reckoning with NTE (New Trump Era) 1?

Not being inclined to attribute moral perfection to anyone running to be President of the United States, including anyone I might consider voting for, I find your continued assertions about him bizarre—not to mention contrary to readily available evidence, in the form of some of the man's past deeds, many of his past and present sayings, and quite a few of his associations.

A guy who hires Roger Stone and Paul Manafort is not free of any vice customarily associated with politicians.  You don't keep one around you for years, or feel an urgent need for the services of the other, if your attention is entirely taken up with building magnificent things and offering them on the free market, leaving no headroom for the low machinations of the political class.

I really have to wonder whether the jibes at Ted Cruz in particular—Rafael! the wannabe Savior!—aren't projection at work.

For I can prefer Cruz without illusions, either about his moral perfection or his role as an agent of salvation.  Can you prefer Trump in the same way?

I don't know how many other Trump supporters you actually know.  They vary, like everyone else, but from my own experience I can say that they are not all as you describe.

Many of them don't want discussions of issues, as the Trump supporters here at OL generally don't.  

They tend to be incurious about Trump's actual views, actual plans, actual stands on, well, nearly anything.  He will take care of it.  He will clean it up.  Whatever it is.  We don't need to know now how he intends to do any of it, so why do you ask?

Others are instantly actively hostile toward anyone who questions their guy, whether the hostility is expressed in peremptory putdowns, or in inane triumphalism.

Your assertion that only those critical of Trump (could?) behave in these ways I see as part of a worshipful attitude.

I surely don't think you should be barred from discussions with anyone, or that you are given over to thinking with your emotions, or whatever.  I am saying that adopting special epistemological and moral standards, meant to apply uniquely to one and only one human being, is not merely unfair, but tends to get in the way of objective appraisal—in this case, of candidates for President.  (The analogy to Dr. Hsieh is not about the institutional specifics of ARI, but about the worshipful attitude and special pleading that all there must adopt regarding Ayn Rand, plus occasionally one of her lieutenants.)

As for anger, Donald Trump is, among other things, an actor.  So the anger in his speeches and public performances could be simulated, and my assumption has to be that it usually is.  The anger expressed by his followers, often directed at questionably identified targets, gives no impression of being simulated.

And eating your own...  how else could anyone describe what Donald Trump does, in pretty much every speech he's given since June 16 of last year?  Stomping and re-stomping every Republican who opposes him, or endorses anyone who opposes him, with no sign of letting up.  Would he take the high road for a couple of weeks after big wins in five states?  Hell no, there are still Republicans to stomp.  Anyone who defends such behavior is practicing the exact thing you claim to deplore.

I've been rough on Obama and on Hillary Clinton, and so have other contributors here.  Maybe because Obami don't hang out much at OL, and I haven't seen a Hillary supporter posting since I returned, you've gotten the impression that Trump is a unique target of mine?

Trump's election will not herald the death of freedom in America.  It's much harder than normal to say what it does herald, because cone of uncertainty around his actions is so much wider than usual.  (You talk of peaceful trade, but Trump's shtick is all about how bad most trade is for us.)

Hillary Clinton lies to us constantly. Yet she has a track record in the White House and in office that enables reasonably good predictions of what she will actually do.  Donald Trump has been all over the place rhetorically, even in NTE1 and NTE 2, pretends to be all kinds of things to all kinds of people, has no track record in political office, and may not even believe key elements of his campaign speeches.  

He might be for everything you wish he's for, he might not be for any of it at all; he might be 100 places in between.  But, no, he is not another Hitler or Stalin.  A better model, I've suggested before, is Berlusconi, abroad, or Jesse and Ahhnold, at home.  

Most likely, in my estimate, he will be a very loud, fairly awful President, constantly bloviating about the changes he's making, and not really changing much of anything.  He will have been elected after we suffered under a bad President and a truly terrible one, and when there was some small chance of getting someone better.

Are you really sure that Donald Trump will be the President you want him to be?

If you really are, perhaps the inestimable benefits of a Trump Presidency just outweigh any losses of friends or allies to aggressively proselytizing.

Robert

49 minutes ago, Peter said:

Madam Secretary? Saying President Clinton could cause confusion. Should we say Madam President when you are elected, to not confuse the issue?

It will be Your Royal Highness on the first occasion, and Ma'am thereafter.

Royalty does have its leaders.

Robert

16 hours ago, Selene said:

It is that simple.

Adam,

There is the additional perceived benefit that he will guarantee the election of Hillary.

They may be misperceiving, but there it is.

Robert

23 minutes ago, Robert Campbell said:

Adam,

There is the additional perceived benefit that he will guarantee the election of Hillary.

They may be misperceiving, but there it is.

Robert

Robert:

I gather you are asserting that Evita will win against Trump.

This is unsupported by any cogent data.

My belief is that she is toxic and highly beatable, particularly by Trump.

A...

Adam,

Cogent data are always worth reviewing...

My point was that the legacy media desperately want her in power and most of their people are, in effect, asserting that she will win.

If they thought she was in serious danger from him, they would already be handling Trump in a sharply different fashion.  Cutting down on their coverage of him, slanting it as heavily as possible against him, instead of cheering his impending nomination.

Robert

Robert asked: Are you really sure that Donald Trump will be the President you want him to be? end quote

I wonder how many Americans will move to Canada if Trump becomes Yankee Royalty? I think a lot of his current supporters may end up spitting and sputtering like Yosemite Sam. Would it be so bad up north? Maybe the climate in British Columbia would be just peachy especially when global warming happens.

Peter

Notable melodic Canadians: Joni Mitchell, Celine Dion, Alanis Morrissett, Diana Krall, Neil Young, The Guess Who, Dan Hill (Sometimes When We Touch), Shania Twain, Bare Naked Ladies, Paul Anka. My two favorites singers or groups from Canada are: Gordon Lightfoot and Ian and Sylvia.