je reviens

caroljane

Does it ever feel good to be back in my comfy chair. The Outer Darkness is no place for decent folks!

I was going to "come upon a quiet day, and simply seem to take my place" but that did not work out too well the first time so I might as well fulminate.

So many people to thank! First and foremost the International Altruist Coalition so ably and bleeding-heartedly led by wss;the metaphysicians and Air Cadets for emergency food for thought; Michael for my witty and intricate new password which even I could not forget;everybody who did not sneer at my intecheptitude (in print at least)/Tony and Joel, thank you for missing me, I missed you too.

It occurs to me that my lockout began on March 1 - as soon as I had served been 60 days in Objectivist Correctional Centre Living. But I am not a conspiracy theorist and draw no conclusions.

I have many visits to make but first I think I will just set a spell.

Carol

a Detriment once more

Edited by daunce lynam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carol,

How's your dog?

:)

... everybody who did not sneer at my intecheptitude...

Dayaamm!

Of all the words to misspell...

Michael

Michael, he is not my dog. He is my son's dog an English bulldog puppy who was first in line for cute and last in line for brains. I lent Andy my computer and Bodie (the dog) chewed off the keys while A was in the bathroom. He gets jealous of anything that takes A's attention away from him, he has mangled or hidden his cellphone and the TV remote. He knows he isn't supposed to do that so he waits till A is absent from the room.

You know intecheptitude is not a misspelling but a coined word. I thought it sounded better than "cluelessness".

Carol

a Detriment once more

For some reason I thought your name was Carol Gordon, so your return made me think of a classic Brian Blessed moment:

Pretty dumb, I know. Time for another beer.

Carol

a Detriment once more

For some reason I thought your name was Carol Gordon, so your return made me think of a classic Brian Blessed moment:

Pretty dumb, I know. Time for another beer.

Cheers, Ninth! You probably associated me with Gordon because I "thank Gord" a lot. Gord is the name of most Canadian Anglo males, they are all named in honour of the great Lightfoot. Most of the other men I know are named Mohammed or Xiangbo.

I adore Brian Blessed. His Augustus in I Claudius was unforgettable and as the Blackadder ancestor he stole the show. Apparently he sings too.

Make mine a Moosehead,

Carol

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol,

How's your dog?

... everybody who did not sneer at my intecheptitude...

Dayaamm!

Of all the words to misspell...

Michael

Michael, he is not my dog. He is my son's dog an English bulldog puppy who was first in line for cute and last in line for brains. I lent Andy my computer and Bodie (the dog) chewed off the keys while A was in the bathroom. He gets jealous of anything that takes A's attention away from him, he has mangled or hidden his cellphone and the TV remote. He knows he isn't supposed to do that so he waits till A is absent from the room.

You know intecheptitude is not a misspelling but a coined word. I thought it sounded better than "cluelessness".

Welcome back Carol:

As Cesar Milan explains, "No dog is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate dogs, I train people. I am the dog whisperer."

"You can say as much as you want, but the (dogs are) picking up what is... inside of you."

"It’s not about the dog. It’s always about us. It’s always about the owner. It’s up to us to create an environment and circumstances in which the dog can thrive and be itself."

And my favorite, "Humans are the only animals who will follow unstable pack leaders."

Adam

Fucking prodigal daughter. I am here working hard the whole time - she's not on the front lines, fighting for liberty, just on vacation. And for whom do we slaughter the fatted calf?

It is true, my valour is not as valourous as yours, nor my resolve so resolute, and I have had a little R&R behind the lines, but I do struggle for liberty in my lowly way. In fact I take as many liberties as I can. So since I've been readmitted to the intellectual feast, I'll have that calf medium-rare please, and the wine list.

Fucking prodigal daughter. I am here working hard the whole time - she's not on the front lines, fighting for liberty, just on vacation. And for whom do we slaughter the fatted calf?

Eh? She started the thread.

If you start an “In praise of Ted” thread I’ll try to come up with a video to embed. Something also with Brian Blessed, if I can think of something. How about, since you’re on the “front lines”, this:

Wow you people are pathetic. Are you that starved for someone to prop up your pretension?

Amazing

Pippi! Great to hear from you. I was afraid you had flounced because this here town wasn't small enough for the one of you.

Wow you people are pathetic. Are you that starved for someone to prop up your pretension?

Amazing

Pippi! Great to hear from you. I was afraid you had flounced because this here town wasn't small enough for the one of you.

She did flounce while you were gone, mais elle revient aussi.

Amazing

Folks: I think Shayne has the copywrite or patent or something real legal sounding on "flounce" and any derivatives of the concept.

Amazing

Folks: I think Shayne has the copywrite or patent or something real legal sounding on "flounce" and any derivatives of the concept.

You're just mad because your insulting me for using the term now looks completely ridiculous.

Shayne

Gord is the name of most Canadian Anglo males, they are all named in honour of the great Lightfoot. Most of the other men I know are named Mohammed or Xiangbo.

There was a time in this fair forum when the Carol did not post

When the wild and crazy antics lacked a Canuck twang

Long before the Pippi and long before the Jac

When the nutty yanky doodles had yet to meet their match

But the world has no edges and the Web has no bounds

As to this sleepy forum she posted all around

She posts about the Muslims and she speaks about Obama

Showed her wit, wisdom and tenacity for the good of us all!

Its great to have you back Carol!

Amazing

Let me quote that before you edit it into oblivion.

Thanks for the quote. It will likely be one of the few left standing given her editing history.

Hi Carol,

Good to see you back! You add a lot of pizzazz to this place!

I had to grin when you wrote on the other thread:

Now that I think of it, "men-only book club" is not a bad partial description of OL. What do you think XRay? Gentlemen, I said PARTIAL.

"Men-only" connotes something like intentional exclusion, but the male OLers don't fall in that category, I think. :)

Someone else suspected that the shortage of women here may be due to the men often being too abrasive.

But I recall discussions on some true crime forums where the women were pretty abrasive as well, some of them using language which make the more "outspoken" gentlemen here sound like innocent choirboys ... :D

Interesting question though why so few women seem to post on philosophy forums. But maybe I'm wrong because I don't have enough detailed kowledge about other philosophy forums to do a valid comparison. Any ideas?

Edited by Xray

What in God's name is a cucumber sandwich? Is it as disgusting as it sounds?

Ever so British, old chap. Served at all the best tea-parties, especially if there are aristocrats about, and in far-flung corners of the Empire. (Yes, that Empire!)

Just the trick, I imagined, for the ladies, vegetarian Xray and Commonwealth Carol taking tea.

Actually, quite tasty, considering. Dainty little quartered white bread slices with the crusts cut off, and inside, lots of butter... and cucumber slices.

Since colonialism went out of fashion, I seldom see it served any more. Silver tea service, best china, on starched table-cloths - the height of pretension which I scorned once. Now, I'm getting a touch nostalgic for it.

Ever so British, old chap. Served at all the best tea-parties, especially if there are aristocrats about, and in far-flung corners of the Empire. (Yes, that Empire!)

Just the trick, I imagined, for the ladies, vegetarian Xray and Commonwealth Carol taking tea.

Actually, quite tasty, considering. Dainty little quartered white bread slices with the crusts cut off, and inside, lots of butter... and cucumber slices.

Since colonialism went out of fashion, I seldom see it served any more. Silver tea service, best china, on starched table-cloths - the height of pretension which I scorned once. Now, I'm getting a touch nostalgic for it.

Tony, they serve afternoon tea at the Royal York and the King Edward Hotels here every Sunday. I went once to the King Eddie, scrumptious and so colonial-elegant! Also went to the Rennie Mackiintosh Tearoom in Glasgow. Well, it was Glasgow-- let's just say the architecture was good. I love cuke sandwiches though I confess to the heresy of mayonnaise. The tea tradition also holds in my hometown where various of my aunts will be found slicing, buttering and baking for the next occasion almost any day of the week.

Wish you could do an Empire Nostalgia tour and join me in blissful biscuit blankout. My wardrobe would certainly fit right in with the period. I would forego the raincoat.

You should come too, Phil. For a man of your wide culture your culinary tastes are insular, not to say revolting. Beer floats?

Read A la recherche du temps perdu and start with the madeleines!

Gord is the name of most Canadian Anglo males, they are all named in honour of the great Lightfoot. Most of the other men I know are named Mohammed or Xiangbo.

There was a time in this fair forum when the Carol did not post

When the wild and crazy antics lacked a Canuck twang

Long before the Pippi and long before the Jac

When the nutty yanky doodles had yet to meet their match

But the world has no edges and the Web has no bounds

As to this sleepy forum she posted all around

She posts about the Muslims and she speaks about Obama

Showed her wit, wisdom and tenacity for the good of us all!

Its great to have you back Carol!

Never shall I have a greater tribute, even when I get my 100th birthday telegram from the Queen, which my Ma was supposed to get but she checked out 20 years early, the piker.

For those who are not familiar with our premier troubadour, Gordon Lightfoot, the above is a parody of his masterwork (though not to my mind his masterpiece), the Canadian Railroad Trilogy. The final lines of the 1st verse refer to the forest, which is "too silent to be real".

Sounds just like me doesn't it.

Come to think of it, what a great theme for the railroad scenes in the Atlas Shrugged Part 3 musical.