Photo

Angelina Jolie as Dagny

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Angelina Jolie as Dagny (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Angelina Jolie is a good choice to play Dagny Taggart in the Atlas Shrugged movie?

1. YES! – She's perfect for the part! (15 votes [25.42%])

Percentage of vote: 25.42%

2. Yes – Maybe not the best choice, but she'll do fine (18 votes [30.51%])

Percentage of vote: 30.51%

3. Neutral - no opinion either way (6 votes [10.17%])

Percentage of vote: 10.17%

4. No – She is not a very good choice to play Dagny (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

5. NO! – She is horrible for the part! (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kat

Kat

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image
Angelina Jolie

#2 Kori

Kori

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

I think she could do a good job. After all, she is supposedly a fan of the book. I think people should give her a chance. :twitch:
"But if you do that you'll be missin' the world, because it doesn't stop turnin' whatever you heard."

#3 Victor Pross

Victor Pross

busted for plagiary

• Banned
  • 2,261 posts
  • Interests:philosophy/reading/movies

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

Angie should play the part, actually. B)

Edited by Victor Pross, 14 October 2006 - 06:29 PM.

NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR: This poster was banned for repeated plagiary. Because of the sheer volume of his posts, the present one may contain plagiarism that is unknown to us. Please report any plagiarized text you find so we can edit the post.

#4 omphalos

omphalos
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:34 PM

Eeuuwww! Jodie Foster would get my vote.

#5 CNA

CNA

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

Angie should play the part, actually. B)

hehehehehehehe, very cute, honey.
The evil man is the one who, knowing that sex is good, takes pleasure in forbidding it and thus causing men to suffer. ~AR

#6 Victor Pross

Victor Pross

busted for plagiary

• Banned
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Angie, not sure I'm comfortable with you working so close to Brad Pitt though. :huh:
NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR: This poster was banned for repeated plagiary. Because of the sheer volume of his posts, the present one may contain plagiarism that is unknown to us. Please report any plagiarized text you find so we can edit the post.

#7 blackhorse

blackhorse

$$$$

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

I would pick Jenny McCarthy

#8 Kyrel Zantonavitch

Kyrel Zantonavitch

$$$

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Broad general world culture, history, philosophy, politics, controversalia, etc.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

It's nice that she's a Rand fan and beautiful, but where's the intelligence and integrity? Brad Pitt's old flame would have been far superior.
'Pure Liberal Fire' -- a radical and challenging new book which contains at least ten important new ideas not found in any other Objectivist writer: www.Amazon.com/Pure-Liberal-Fire-Philosophy-Liberalism/dp/1484872681

#9 Judith

Judith

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

I don't really like her for the part. She's too obviously "glamorous" and not obviously intelligent. I can't stop remembering the part in "Atlas" where the railroad workers suddenly notice that their vice-president is a woman and that she is beautiful. There's no way that one could say that about Jolie.

I'm another big fan of Jodie Foster for the part. In fact, I can't imagine anyone else in the role. She has the perfect blend of intelligence, fragility, vulnerability, toughness, and understated classic beauty that doesn't hit you over the head for the role. Remember her in "Contact"? She'd do the same thing in this film. She's also a Yale grad and an atheist in addition to being an incredibly talented actress.

Judith
"Facts are stubborn things, and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
--John Adams

#10 Kat

Kat

$$$$$$

• Root Admin
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:33 AM

My ideal Dagny is Sigourney Weaver and Jodie Foster is a close second, both would be perfect for the part. Both actresses, are, unfortunately, too old for the part in Hollywood's eyes. Angelina is OK, but too much of a sex kitten IMHO. Also, I kind of think of her as the Sally Struthers (but less whiny and pudgy) of this generation with her cause, which doesn't exactly score points for her with Objectivists. But this is for a general international audience so that probably shouldn't matter anyway..but still...

For a school project a while back, I cast the X-Files characters in Atlas Shrugged, Scully as Dagny, Mulder as Francisco, the smoking man as Jim Taggert, Langley as Ragnar, etc. I had a real life person as John Galt (guess who). It was pretty fun.

Kat

#11 Grinder

Grinder
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Angelina is OK, but too much of a sex kitten IMHO. Also, I kind of think of her as the Sally Struthers (but less whiny and pudgy) of this generation with her cause, which doesn't exactly score points for her with Objectivists.

I think Jolie will do fine, assuming she ultimately does get the role. However, I was more than a tad startled to find out that the favorite book of the man picked as director/adapter of Atlas Shrugged, the movie, is errm, Mere Christianity, by CS Lewis. :blink:

http://www.variety.c...3...yid=13&cs=1

Wallace, who last wrote and directed "We Were Soldiers" for Paramount, said he and his college-age son made a deal last year to read each other's favorite books. His was C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity," which runs around 100 pages; his son's was "Atlas Shrugged," which runs more than 1,100 pages.

"I was fascinated by Rand's book. It was original and provocative," Wallace told Daily Variety.

If I'm going to worry about anything, I think I'll settle on that.

#12 Laure

Laure

$$$

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like Jolie may be a done deal, but my vote, if it mattered, would be for Jodie Foster. Angelina Jolie is definitely too much of a sexpot for Dagny. Jodie Foster, on the other hand, would make a great "adding machine in a skirt" -- until she puts on her evening gown, at which point she can look glamorous. Plus, she just looks smarter than Angelina.
I am not an Objectivist either.

#13 sujane

sujane
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

I agree - Jodie Foster is a better choice - they are really going to have to play down Jolie's sexpotiness - and wrap & flatten those boobs somewhat. :cool:

#14 Kevin Haggerty

Kevin Haggerty

$$

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

I can't really imagine a more practical, more functional--more supremely capitalistically effective casting choice than Angelina Jolie right now. Anyone here have the peculiar fortune to see Oliver Stone's Alexander? Lousy movie, but Jolie was amazing.

As they say in Hollywood, this woman will open a movie, she will get the proverbial asses in the seats. Jodie Foster? Maybe, maybe not. Ms. Foster's excellent, don't get me wrong, but casting her at this point in her career could cut the box office take in half. She's a little older now and, to my mind, frankly a little too white bread.

I think the much more difficult casting decision is gonna be What's-his-face. Right now, I think Hugo Weaving would be an amazing choice.

#15 Reidy

Reidy

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, cooking, music, philosophy

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:06 PM

[Possibly a duplicate post]

On the other hand, Jolie could use that image to advantage, playing against our expectations to build up tension, then letting her sexuality explode at just the right moment. Garbo and Kate Hepburn and their contemporaries used to do this. We'll see.

Peter

Edited by Reidy, 20 October 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#16 Victor Pross

Victor Pross

busted for plagiary

• Banned
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

In the News:

Looking through a magazine called Tribute, displayed in movie theaters, something interesting caught my eye.

A section in the magazine called Star scoop reads:

“Angelina jolie has won her dream role as author Ayn Rand’s iconic heroine Dagney Taggart. Jolie, a longtime fan of Russian-born Rand, has been quietly campaigning to play Taggart in new film Atlas Shrugged. The movie adaptation of Rand’s epic tome has been kicking around Hollywood for many years.”

So it looks like Jolie wins the part, and I’m very happy about that. I think too many people have been focusing on Jolie the person—not the actor’s range to play the vivacious Taggart--and saying "But she's not like Taggart'. Um, actors play parts. Jody Foster does not look the part. Rand describes Dagney Taggart as a beautiful woman, and Jolie is a talented actor who can manage what the part demands. She can actually act regardless of being very beautiful.

Edited by Victor Pross, 20 October 2006 - 04:45 PM.

#17 Ciro

Ciro

$$$

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

About, Julie Delpy as Dagny? :twitch:

#18 Kyrel Zantonavitch

Kyrel Zantonavitch

$$$

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Broad general world culture, history, philosophy, politics, controversalia, etc.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:24 AM

Ciro writes: "Julie Delpy as Dagny?" Very superior to Angelina. :thumbsup: Also try: Scarlett Johansson. :heart:
'Pure Liberal Fire' -- a radical and challenging new book which contains at least ten important new ideas not found in any other Objectivist writer: www.Amazon.com/Pure-Liberal-Fire-Philosophy-Liberalism/dp/1484872681

#19 Philip Coates

Philip Coates

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 3,560 posts
  • Interests:--Playing Sports (running, basketball, body surfing)
    --Literature and History
    --Art Museums
    --Rock 'n Roll, Classical, Country and Western
    --Epistemology
    --Travel
    --Classic Old Movies

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

What bothers me about Jolie in the role is her woodenness, sort of an unfeeling stoicism....facial expression never changing. It's like the old joke: here's Jolie being angry...here's Jolie being happy...same expression, same pursed lips. Perhaps this is unfair. Perhaps I've only seen her in action movies where this kind of fit. But, Laure, being an emotionless "adding machine in a skirt" was a hostile caricature of Dagny, not something you'd like to see in every reel in her portrayal in a movie.

Jolie would be better for the more alienated, contemptuous of this earth, unable yet to shake of Nietzsche ande Hobbes Dominique Francon than Dagny Taggart, who is a much more psychologically healthy and more mind/body integrated woman than Dominique is till the last portion of the novel.

On the other hand, Michael pointed out that in at least one movie (Meet Mr. Black), Brad Pitt was able to play a rather Galt-like role, so has anyone seen a movie in which Angelina displays the "range" to pull off the enormously difficult role of Dagny?

Or even any movie in which she is not wooden, is emotional, clearly and convincingly comes across as a deeply passionate valuer (something indispensable to a woman, and more important...indispensable to portraying Dagny Taggart)?

I'd love to be proven wrong and I've not seen everything AJ has done.

So ....puuhhhleeezzzzzze!! ....give me some actual examples from her movies.

#20 Kevin Haggerty

Kevin Haggerty

$$

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

Phil,

Playing by Heart is a great place to start appreciating Angelina Jolie as an actor. It's a really good movie, little seen by just about everyone. As I said above, she's amazing in Alexander, making you actually believe that she's Colin Ferrell's psychotic mother. She's got a hell of a range, actually, she's just a huge celebrity and has become unfortunately associated with a character from a video game.

Edited by Kevin Haggerty, 21 October 2006 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users