my job

pippi

I only read the first few sentences and I know more than I did when I woke up this morning.

Thank you

Right on! MSK=Excellent Kung Fu. And he didn't rip on yer grammer, ether. ;)

Michael, what a great post in those 'seven steps' for expanding the reach/effectiveness of your blog!

Lots of good information, and not obvious to everyone either!

I particularly liked how much you are able to say briefly, only a sentence or so for each step in a Strunk and White kind of manner.

Michael, what a great post in those 'seven steps' for expanding the reach/effectiveness of your blog!

I particularly liked how much you are able to say briefly, only a sentence or so for each step in a Strunk and White kind of manner.

Phil: I like the jujitsu you are using here. Much more elegant than a groin kick.

Phil: I like the jujitsu you are using here. Much more elegant than a groin kick.

"I particularly liked how much you are able to say briefly, only a sentence or so for each step in a Strunk and White kind of manner."

Sure. It only took a small army to stop it, and yet, still a brief writing critique. But ah, Sweet Progress. . .

rde

Pippi, great forechecking!

I know this is no comfort, but your circle of customer-service hell could be lower though you may not believe it. In my call-centre days we had to solicit charity donations, with the occasional relief of armtwisting people to subscribe to TV Guide magazine, or get their portraits taken at Sears.It was a sweatsshop and we ended up unionizing the place. It was the moral thing to do.

Ever since then, I have been polite and nice to unsolicited callers, even collection agencies. (It drives collection agents mad when you sympathize with them for having to do that job). I'll always do that, because as Huck Finn said, "I been there before."

Best of luck,

Chenille

Thank you for writing-yes it is kind of like being in hell :( and in your case unionizing sounds like it was the only thing to do-probably the only thing to do in my job as well. Last person I knew who tried to unionize in a call center though ended up fired (surprise surprise).

I should make a note of being more polite to people that I have to talk to over the phone.

Folks seem to get extra rude and nasty when they aren't talking to someone face to face-the phone seems to provide them with a false sense of power (kind of like the internet). The callers who are kind to me I bend over backwards to help, alot of the time going way above and beyond what I would have to to make them happy.

Pippi, great forechecking!

I know this is no comfort, but your circle of customer-service hell could be lower though you may not believe it. In my call-centre days we had to solicit charity donations, with the occasional relief of armtwisting people to subscribe to TV Guide magazine, or get their portraits taken at Sears.It was a sweatsshop and we ended up unionizing the place. It was the moral thing to do.

Ever since then, I have been polite and nice to unsolicited callers, even collection agencies. (It drives collection agents mad when you sympathize with them for having to do that job). I'll always do that, because as Huck Finn said, "I been there before."

Best of luck,

Chenille

Thank you for writing-yes it is kind of like being in hell :( and in your case unionizing sounds like it was the only thing to do-probably the only thing to do in my job as well. Last person I knew who tried to unionize in a call center though ended up fired (surprise surprise).

I should make a note of being more polite to people that I have to talk to over the phone.

Folks seem to get extra rude and nasty when they aren't talking to someone face to face-the phone seems to provide them with a false sense of power (kind of like the internet). The callers who are kind to me I bend over backwards to help, alot of the time going way above and beyond what I would have to to make them happy.

Good for you, I know it's hard to remember that they are just people on the phone, talking at an inconvenient time. But when you start with that assumption it's a lot easier on your own nerves.

The first person to try to unionize in our place was fired of course, that always happens, so were the 2nd and 3rd. The rest of us just rallied behind them and kept on. They all got their jobs back eventually (after a year of strike, certification and decertification wins/)-- but only one of them wanted to come back.

There are times when they are required!

Interestingly, though unionization is always and only about money, (more for the individual worker, therefore less for the employer), the impetus to unionize a particular workplace is never about money, but about respect for the individual worker. "Respect and dignity"..

as a union president put it, "There's no need for unions, really. The only

excuse for unions is bad management."

Interestingly, though unionization is always and only about money, (more for the individual worker, therefore less for the employer), the impetus to unionize a particular workplace is never about money, but about respect for the individual worker. "Respect and dignity"..

as a union president put it, "There's no need for unions, really. The only

excuse for unions is bad management."

Pippi:

Yes. I just learned that the original application of the Trust Busting laws of the 1890's was to prevent unionization. It then got flipped by the progressives to be used against industry.

Unions have become just as corrupt as the crony capitalists.

Adam

Adam

True. Most unions are out of control (teacher's unions, auto worker's union e.g.) but yes sometimes they are needed-I would try to organize a union at my job but I know I will get canned for it. Heck what a way to go right?

Then again I could collect unemployment if they fire me - isn't it illegal to try and stop worker's from organizing? Hmmm...

But, they have employees in the outsourced call centers as well as here in the US so I dont know how successful I would be and if I am successful-which I doubt-they will just send the US jobs to Cebu or India-and those folks would never "turn off their machines" like the Norma Rae clip on this thread.

Edited by pippi

Adam

True. Most unions are out of control (teacher's unions, auto worker's union e.g.) but yes sometimes they are needed-I would try to organize a union at my job but I know I will get canned for it. Heck what a way to go right?

Then again I could collect unemployment if they fire me - isn't it illegal to try and stop worker's from organizing? Hmmm...

(They have employees in the outsourced call centers as well as here in the US so I dont know how successful I would be and if I am successful-which I doubt-they will just send the US jobs to Cebu or India-and those folks would never "turn off their machines" like the Norma Rae clip on this thread.)

Correction- teachers' unions are not out of control, at least up here, they are well in control, especially my union. Don't worry, my hand is on the wheel!