Screening of "The Birth Of Objectivism, Volume 3"

Last night in Santa Monica, I attended a screening of Duncan Scott’s new DVD, “The Birth Of Objectivism, Volume 3.” It features interviews with Al Ramrus, a producer for Mike Wallace at the time of her TV interview in 1959; Iris Bell, a graphic designer who worked on The Objectivist magazine in the 1960s; the late actress Patricia Neal, who played Dominique opposite Gary Cooper’s Howard Roark in King Vidor’s “The Fountainhead”; and Barbara Branden.

Ramrus spoke of his transformation from a dismissive critic to an ardent admirer of Ayn Rand as a person and a philosopher, while Bell offered her unique perspective on the positive and negative aspects of the Objectivist movement in the 1960s. Both interviews were highly informative and would be fascinating to anyone interested in the New York Objectivist environment during the early years prior to Rand’s break with Nathaniel Branden. The interview with Ramrus contains a particularly touching moment. Quite apart from the intellectual fascination, Ramrus reveals the intensity of the emotional bond that Rand was able to inspire in her associates.

And I want to add one other note about the Ramrus interview. At the end, Scott asks him what he would say to Ayn today if he had the chance. “Thank you,” he replies. Scott asks: “Thank you for what?” At that point, Ramrus’ countenance takes on a quality of the sublime: “She would know,” he says. And everyone in the audience knew as well.

Barbara Branden discusses the extensive audiotaped interviews that Rand recorded with her and which later became the basis for much of the biographical material in both Who Is Ayn Rand? and The Passion of Ayn Rand. Watching Barbara’s interview, I fully realized how prescient she was to make those recordings. Without them, there is so much that the world would never have known about this phenomenal author and thinker. Now, a half-century later, we have her own words to help us understand the world she came from and how she eventually became the author of Atlas Shrugged. The world will always be very much in Barbara’s debt.

The highlight of the video, for me, was the interview with the late Patricia Neal. Scott did a fantastic job of interweaving scenes from the movie with Neal’s commentary. She spoke of meeting director King Vidor as he was riding past her on a bicycle, and how Vidor chose her for the role of Dominique over a much more prominent actress, Barbara Stanwyck (who promptly cancelled her studio contract in protest).

But when Neal begins discussing her relationship with Gary Cooper and the sexual passion that developed between the two stars while making this film—well, let’s just say the late actress displayed a level of candor that one would never have expected from a screen performer of that era. There has been a lot of controversy over the years regarding the sex scenes in Rand’s novels—most notably, of course, the so-called "rape"”scene in "The Fountainhead" (which Rand later characterized as ‘rape by engraved invitation’). Now, for the first time, the woman who portrayed Dominique in that scene tells the world exactly how she felt about the so-called “rape”—and with a look of absolute rapture on her face that will leave no doubt about whether fact was emulating fiction. Let’s see—I think the appropriate word here would be “Wow!”

Afterwards, Duncan Scott indicated that the DVD would probably be available for sale by Christmas. If you are curious to see how a gifted actress tastefully describes her memories of breathless, unforgettable sexual passion—in Mimi Gladstein’s words, sex as “an ecstatic surrender to the ultimate value in life”—you will want to see that interview.

Edited by Dennis Hardin

Last night in Santa Monica, I attended a screening of Duncan Scott’s new DVD, “The Birth Of Objectivism, Volume 3.” It features interviews with Al Ramrus, a producer for Mike Wallace at the time of her TV interview in 1959; Iris Bell, a graphic designer who worked on The Objectivist magazine in the 1960s; the late actress Patricia Neal, who played Dominique opposite Gary Cooper’s Howard Roark in King Vidor’s “The Fountainhead”; and Barbara Branden.

Ramrus spoke of his transformation from a dismissive critic to an ardent admirer of Ayn Rand as a person and a philosopher, while Bell offered her unique perspective on the positive and negative aspects of the Objectivist movement in the 1960s. Both interviews were highly informative and would be fascinating to anyone interested in the New York Objectivist environment during the early years prior to Rand’s break with Nathaniel Branden. The interview with Ramrus contains a particularly touching moment. Quite apart from the intellectual fascination, Ramrus reveals the intensity of the emotional bond that Rand was able to inspire in her associates.

And I want to add one other note about the Ramrus interview. At the end, Scott asks him what he would say to Ayn today if he had the chance. “Thank you,” he replies. Scott asks: “Thank you for what?” At that point, Ramrus’ countenance takes on a quality of the sublime: “She would know,” he says. And everyone in the audience knew as well.

Barbara Branden discusses the extensive audiotaped interviews that Rand recorded with her and which later became the basis for much of the biographical material in both Who Is Ayn Rand? and The Passion of Ayn Rand. Watching Barbara’s interview, I fully realized how prescient she was to make those recordings. Without them, there is so much that the world would never have known about this phenomenal author and thinker. Now, a half-century later, we have her own words to help us understand the world she came from and how she eventually became the author of Atlas Shrugged. The world will always be very much in Barbara’s debt.

The highlight of the video, for me, was the interview with the late Patricia Neal. Scott did a fantastic job of interweaving scenes from the movie with Neal’s commentary. She spoke of meeting director King Vidor as he was riding past her on a bicycle, and how Vidor chose her for the role of Dominique over a much more prominent actress, Barbara Stanwyck (who promptly cancelled her studio contract in protest).

But when Neal begins discussing her relationship with Gary Cooper and the sexual passion that developed between the two stars while making this film—well, let’s just say the late actress displayed a level of candor that one would never have expected from a screen performer of that era. There has been a lot of controversy over the years regarding the sex scenes in Rand’s novels—most notably, of course, the so-called "rape"”scene in "The Fountainhead" (which Rand later characterized as ‘rape by engraved invitation’). Now, for the first time, the woman who portrayed Dominique in that scene tells the world exactly how she felt about the so-called “rape”—and with a look of absolute rapture on her face that will leave no doubt about whether fact was emulating fiction. Let’s see—I think the appropriate word here would be “Wow!”

Afterwards, Duncan Scott indicated that the DVD would probably be available for sale by Christmas. If you are curious to see how a gifted actress tastefully describes her memories of breathless, unforgettable sexual passion—in Mimi Gladstein’s words, sex as “an ecstatic surrender to the ultimate value in life”—you will want to see that interview.

Hi Dennis,

Last night, at the viewing, was absolutely fabulous and ecstatic that I went as well. It was very intimate and a small group of people that attended and definitely up my alley and what I was ultimately wanting rather than a huge event. I have to thank Michael for asking me to go as well as yourself. I'm most appreciative. I'm definitely interested to see the first two volumes now. From the minute I arrived until the moment I walked out of the room to head home, I was riveted. It was a bit strange though in that I was seated between two OL members, yourself and Michael Newberry. I very much enjoyed being able to meet and listen to several long time Objectivists such as Al Ramrus. I wish Barbara would have been able to attend as I would have greatly enjoyed meeting her. What spoke volumes when Duncan Scott asked Al Ramrus what he would say to Ayn today and that he would respond with "Thank you," was the emotional response that was conveyed by Al truly spoke volumes of his admiration and indebtedness to Ayn and what she had done for him as well as many others.

During the viewing, I found Al's and Barbara's interview to be the most enlightening and their offering tremendous insight. There was another gentleman there which unfortuntately I do not remember his name (I'm great with remembering faces, just not names unfortunately) that was also very enlightening although he was not in the Volume 3 DVD but that being their exchanges that went on after the documentary ended amongst Duncan Scott, Al Ramrus, and this other gentleman; most notably that tickled me pink was the "Fashion Show" wherein everyone participating was Objectivists in that day. I still smile at this and can't help but giggle -- very cute and sweet and I can imagine the feather boas and such that were worn during the show. :) With this other gentleman being in the upcoming 4th volume and his seemingly extensive involvement with NBI and the memorabilia that he still has, I am very much interested to see his interview as well.

I am very much appreciative of what Duncan Scott is doing and the preservation of history of the accounts of those who were around Ayn then. Duncan Scott is doing a phenomenal job with it and is well put together.

Angie

I am very much appreciative of what Duncan Scott is doing and the preservation of history of the accounts of those who were around Ayn then. Duncan Scott is doing a phenomenal job with it and is well put together.

Angie

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your comment and your validation of the powerful impact of this event. I agree: Duncan Scott is doing a fantastic job of putting these crucially important records of Objectivist history on DVD.

Your presence, needless to say, made the whole experience especially meaningful for me. It was fun sitting next to someone so eager to learn about Objectivism’s formative years and then hearing your reactions afterwards. I knew you would appreciate the significance of Al Ramrus’ imagined ‘thank you’ to Ayn Rand.

And you are right about the high expectations for Volume 4. The gentleman of whom you spoke (his name escapes me as well) clearly has some rare memorabilia to share, including audiotape recordings of all three of Ayn Rand’s appearances on Johnny Carson. I was afraid those had been lost forever. His report on the NBI Fashion Show should be captivating, not only for the peculiar light it sheds on New York City’s Objectivist subculture, but also for the dramatic subplot: one of the participants in the show was Patrecia Wynand—the same young woman who later would come between Ayn and Nathaniel and drive a permanent wedge into the heart of the Objectivist movement. Hopefully we will discover if Ayn had any inkling of their affair at that time.

Dennis

Thanks for this report, Dennis. I am so sorry that Becky and I missed this wonderful event, but we will most certainly purchase the Volume 3 dvd, and any subsequent ones that are issued.

Best to all,

Roger Bissell, once-and-present resident of Tennessee

Angie

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your comment and your validation of the powerful impact of this event. I agree: Duncan Scott is doing a fantastic job of putting these crucially important records of Objectivist history on DVD.

Your presence, needless to say, made the whole experience especially meaningful for me. It was fun sitting next to someone so eager to learn about Objectivism’s formative years and then hearing your reactions afterwards. I knew you would appreciate the significance of Al Ramrus’ imagined ‘thank you’ to Ayn Rand.

And you are right about the high expectations for Volume 4. The gentleman of whom you spoke (his name escapes me as well) clearly has some rare memorabilia to share, including audiotape recordings of all three of Ayn Rand’s appearances on Johnny Carson. I was afraid those had been lost forever. His report on the NBI Fashion Show should be captivating, not only for the peculiar light it sheds on New York City’s Objectivist subculture, but also for the dramatic subplot: one of the participants in the show was Patrecia Wynand—the same young woman who later would come between Ayn and Nathaniel and drive a permanent wedge into the heart of the Objectivist movement. Hopefully we will discover if Ayn had any inkling of their affair at that time.

Dennis

Thanks for this report, Dennis. I am so sorry that Becky and I missed this wonderful event, but we will most certainly purchase the Volume 3 dvd, and any subsequent ones that are issued.

Best to all,

Roger Bissell, once-and-present resident of Tennessee

Hey Roger—Great to hear from you, even if it is from the Bible Belt black hole from which I narrowly escaped all those years ago. I think the Tennessee state militia still have my mugshot on their heathen hit list.

Seriously, hope things are going well for you! Go Vols!