How We Came to What We Love

Philip Coates

Nice song ;) Never really listened to Rush back in the day. There are SO many bands I should listen to. Maybe I'll hang out with Jack Black and learn a thing or two :lol:

When I was stationed in Okinawa, I picked up a Supra Mark III twin turbo. I thought I was getting the 3.0 (that's the only version US put out). I later learned that it was an inline 2.0 six-cylinder. Man, I was pissed. But that got me interested in cars, promising never to go into another purchase without knowing what I was getting. The car was very quick for the engine. I did a few aftermarket upgrades. At night time, I'd just go for a ride with the windows down and play Megadeth's Crush. I had installed a new sound system and this song was what got my blood going at the red lights :)

~ Shane

Hi Shane ;)

I too would have been upset because Supras are fast cars. And to my understanding, handle extremely well. I can't believe you listened to Megadeath. Were you a head banger or as they called it in my circle of friends so long ago a heshen? LOL I never listened to Megadeath I don't think. But may very well have. The people I hung out with then were into heavy metal as was I. I listened a lot to Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio, etc. But still my roots so to speak and music I am drawn to the most is classic Rock and Roll; have always enjoyed this music tremendously. But I'm not limited to just this genre; I enjoy most of it. I too used to and still do the same thing and just wanting to get out and drive for a while and rolling the windows down and usually listening to Rush or another song that hits my soul if you will, gets me deep in thought, etc.

Here's some Ozzy songs for you if you ever listened to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MLp7YNTznE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LjbMVXj0F8

I don't listen to him much now but did when I was younger and will now on rare ocassion will listen to it if I come across it on the radio. Primarily now it's rock & roll, hip hop, some rap, r & b, etc.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to take me a while just to play all these songs from you tube...I've fallen behind.

One of my all-time favorite scores is the music that Miklos Rozsa wrote for "El Cid" (1961). Here is the love theme:

Rozsa was the MASTER. Thank you for that, George. There've been more than a few times when I've felt down or low, and happened to hear something by him, and been powerfully pulled back to a deep sense of who and what I am -- and to the joy, and glory, and possibilities of what it means to be human and alive.

Judith

One of my all-time favorite scores is the music that Miklos Rozsa wrote for "El Cid" (1961). Here is the love theme:

Rozsa was the MASTER. Thank you for that, George. There've been more than a few times when I've felt down or low, and happened to hear something by him, and been powerfully pulled back to a deep sense of who and what I am -- and to the joy, and glory, and possibilities of what it means to be human and alive.

Judith

OMG, Judith, it's been sooooo long. I haven't seen you around in years and have to admit I'm smiling. It's great to see you after so long. How have you been? I hope life is going good for you!!!!!!!!

Hi Shane ;)

I too would have been upset because Supras are fast cars. And to my understanding, handle extremely well. I can't believe you listened to Megadeath. Were you a head banger or as they called it in my circle of friends so long ago a heshen? LOL I never listened to Megadeath I don't think. But may very well have. The people I hung out with then were into heavy metal as was I. I listened a lot to Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Dio, etc. But still my roots so to speak and music I am drawn to the most is classic Rock and Roll; have always enjoyed this music tremendously. But I'm not limited to just this genre; I enjoy most of it. I too used to and still do the same thing and just wanting to get out and drive for a while and rolling the windows down and usually listening to Rush or another song that hits my soul if you will, gets me deep in thought, etc.

Cars, music, movies...ah, to bask in the accomplishment of others' creativity! I really want a '98 Supra TT. That's my favorite import. Well, aside from the Aston DB9 :) But the Supra is within a reasonable budget...ha!

I used to listen to whatever my dad played. Back in the 70s and early 80s it was Bee Gees, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Elvis Presley, ABBA, Richard Clayderman and a host of others. But a lot of my musical interests were influenced by my oldest cousin. Those were Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche (my all-time favorite), Cinderella, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, KISS, etc. What impresses me most is that as hardcore as some of their songs can be, they make some of the absolute best ballads. I also like Linkin Park and System of a Down for their innovative music. Back during hurricane Katrina, I earned the nickname Cigaro...long story, but funny and embarassing at the same time.

But speaking of Ozzy, my favorite song of his is Killer of Giants. It had a very strong political message. When I lived at Pease AFB just outside of Portsmouth, NH, President Bush used to land there for home visits in Maine. I remember wanting to hand him a copy of that song.

~ Shane

Hi Shane ;)

Cars, music, movies...ah, to bask in the accomplishment of others' creativity! I really want a '98 Supra TT. That's my favorite import. Well, aside from the Aston DB9 :) But the Supra is within a reasonable budget...ha!

I used to listen to whatever my dad played. Back in the 70s and early 80s it was Bee Gees, Lionel Richie, Kenny Rogers, Elvis Presley, ABBA, Richard Clayderman and a host of others. But a lot of my musical interests were influenced by my oldest cousin. Those were Metallica, Megadeth, Queensryche (my all-time favorite), Cinderella, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, KISS, etc. What impresses me most is that as hardcore as some of their songs can be, they make some of the absolute best ballads. I also like Linkin Park and System of a Down for their innovative music. Back during hurricane Katrina, I earned the nickname Cigaro...long story, but funny and embarassing at the same time.

But speaking of Ozzy, my favorite song of his is Killer of Giants. It had a very strong political message. When I lived at Pease AFB just outside of Portsmouth, NH, President Bush used to land there for home visits in Maine. I remember wanting to hand him a copy of that song.

~ Shane

The Bee Gees!!!...The Ventures were played quite often in my house when I was very very young. I never got much into the Glam Rock stuff but do like some of Kiss' music. Queen is also another for me. You made mention of KENNY ROGERS. OMG, that's too funny because my dad is Kenny Roger's double. LMAO, especially now that he's gotten older, they look so much alike. Oi LOL

It seems this thread has been put to a bit of a halt, although still want to go through it. Have to work a bit though first after this...well, a lot of work but I'll see how that goes and how much I can tolerate this one job which was brutal and my needing breaks from it.

Another one of my passions is that of Newberry's and what he mentioned and that is cooking and food. It's funny that I don't eat much of it but I love to cook and create new recipes, tweaking the hell out of old recipes, etc.

Oh, and another passion is camping, hiking, esp photography stuff, water sports (lots of fun here), parasailing, have been sky diving which I know sounds crazy but I think everyone should try at least once...totally surreal, absolutely breathtaking. We're going to be going to Cancun here probably within the next few months perhaps and staying at a resort -- girlie trip -- and I'm hoping to find a sky diving place out there to take my sister. She's never been. With my taking her sky diving, she'll be taking me snorkeling which I've never done and my reluctance of the ocean and sharks but very good reason for sharks. Some crazy stories here and one being out in Hawaii and a way too close encounter for me. YIKES!!!!! But it's going to be soooo much fun!!!!

Newberry, authetic italian food is amazing. Imported, that much more if here in the US!!!! When I do cook seriously which I haven't done much of as of late, always so busy, I rarely use local products but will have them imported from the country I am looking. Everything fresh, herbs, etc., makes a HUGE difference rather than the dried spices, etc., as I'm sure you know. Probably the two ingredients used most in all of my cooking is that of olive oil and garlic. I love garlic. But for me, the best place I have ever eaten was a place in Napa Valley, wine country called The French Laundry You wanna talk about explosion similar to that of an orgasm. I can't even describe and put words to the delectable sensations, flavors on my palate, complexities of it when I ate there and completely fills the senses!!!! WOW, it was divine and heavenly!!!

Very expensive to eat there though, our tab for two ran about $3,000. BUT if you ever get the opportunity at least once, please go to the French Laundry. Gives me chills just thinking about it and my experience there. ADDICTIVE!!!!

OMG, Judith, it's been sooooo long. I haven't seen you around in years and have to admit I'm smiling. It's great to see you after so long. How have you been? I hope life is going good for you!!!!!!!!

Life is great! I hope you're doing well.

Judith

Angie,

Was your dad the stunt double for Kenny in "Six Pack?" :D :D :D

I don't think I could sink $3K for a meal for two. Wow! If I had the money, maybe...but that's not the case right now...haha! I'll stick with fluffer nutters at home!

But food is goooooooood. I do love to indulge when I can. There aren't many foods that I don't like, but I'm nowhere near Andrew Zimmern on the number of things tasted.

~ Shane

Angie,

Was your dad the stunt double for Kenny in "Six Pack?" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I don't think I could sink $3K for a meal for two. Wow! If I had the money, maybe...but that's not the case right now...haha! I'll stick with fluffer nutters at home!

But food is goooooooood. I do love to indulge when I can. There aren't many foods that I don't like, but I'm nowhere near Andrew Zimmern on the number of things tasted.

~ Shane

The price makes no sense to me. I assume wine had a lot to do with it. That'd make it a little less nuts. Not by much. But when I was in the army I liked "Shit on a Shingle."

--Brant

But when I was in the army I liked "Shit on a Shingle."

--Brant

I grew up on that stuff. My dad used to take me to the chow hall at Torrejon AB and that's all I'd ever get :)

~ Shane

Is there anyone who has posted on this thread who is -not- a military brat? Very strange...

I should have said, is there anyone posting without a military background...Brant served -in- the military.

For the rest of us, with our parents and all the shuffling around to military bases and 'stand attention while you're sleeping, children', maybe it just felt like it. :mellow:

Edited by Philip Coates

Angie,

Was your dad the stunt double for Kenny in "Six Pack?" :D :D :D

LMAO. He might as well have. Wow, I trip out how much they look alike. Amazing. Of course, there are somew dissimilarities but there have been many times when he would get double takes and people wondering if he was Kenny Rogers. As for me and my mom and who I look like the most, definitely mother. Of course, not exact, she has brown eyes, I have green, different looking noses, but there were times and so long ago and walking together in the mall or whatever that we were sometimes asked if we were twins.

Six-Pack-still-30.BMP

~ Shane

When we went there, it was a special event. I do enjoy GREAT food though. But I'm also not too picky with food. Although love to cook, etc., food is food. If I'm hungry, will eat whatever is in the fridge. Hell, it could be two pieces of bread with lettuce and no meat or just meat, no condiments, etc. I don't care. Or may get creative and looking for something more complex such as a sandwich where I mixed raspberry jelly, dijon mustard, a bit of ketchup and mayo and WOW, the sandwich turned out pretty damn good. LOL Will just start putting crazy shit together and it turns out to be...DAYAMMM!!! Gotta write that one down. LOL I've tried a lot and may attempt to try something or a small bite to see if I like it or not but there are limits for me.

Angie,

Was your dad the stunt double for Kenny in "Six Pack?" biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

~ Shane

The price makes no sense to me. I assume wine had a lot to do with it. That'd make it a little less nuts. Not by much. But when I was in the army I liked "Shit on a Shingle."

--Brant

I know it sounds nuts but some of the most creative minds who work with food are employed at some point at this restaurant and absolutely AMAZING. Some very innovative stuff going on there!!!!! Yes, very very fine wine was involved!!! Wow!!!

Previous to the French Laundry trip, I had gone to the wine country when I was about 18 years old or perhaps 19?? and toured the wineries but nice because we had access to areas that most tourists if you will didn't have and it was amazing and very interesting!!!!!! They did not care in the least bit that I was under 21. Totally catering to what you wanted or desired at any time and experiencing what they had to offer!!! The partying days of my youth if you will were over at that point. Didn't take much of their wine to do me in. LOL I then followed up with the French Laundry and going there again in my early 30s perhaps, 3 years ago, maybe 4. Great indulgence and worth the money spent for what they offered.

New experiences, what it is, what it feels like, how it's done, understanding it, your own firsthand knowledge truly is a beautiful thing not just with food but in soooo many many other areas of life!!!!!!!!! Of course, if it's some crazy ass shit and may prove fatal or what have you, then no doubt reluctanct, apprehension or HELL NO. There are always lines drawn if you will. But my experiences in this context with that restaurant was absolutely amazing and truly enjoying some of the finest food in the world and enjoying tremendously!!!!

Edited by CNA

I should have said, is there anyone posting without a military background...Brant served -in- the military.

For the rest of us, with our parents and all the shuffling around to military bases and 'stand attention while you're sleeping, children', maybe it just felt like it. :mellow:

Little ole me. But do have extended family that ultimately served and proudly.

That's okay, Judith. We'll give you an honorary Croix de Guerre for posting on this site.

I have absolutely no military background and am damn thankful for that. I turned 18 in 1971, the year the college deferment for the draft was abolished. I had just been accepted for admission at the University of California, San Diego, and was scheduled to start college in the fall, but I could no longer use my college admission as a deferment. That year, the college deferment system was replaced with a draft lottery system, in which men of draft age were assigned a randomly selected number based on their date of birth. Those with the lowest numbers could still be drafted. I got a number in the low 50s and was therefore vulnerable to possibly being drafted. I still remember having to show up for a physical, and how much I hated the experience. As far as the military was concerned, the men were nothing but government property and prospective cannon fodder, to be disposed of as the military saw fit. The experience was utterly degrading, walking around in single file in our underwear and paper shoes, having to provide a urine sample on command, and having our genitals felt up by some jerk doctor. We were future government property, and the government treated us accordingly. I was fortunate enough to get a medical deferment, and was therefore able to stay out of the meat grinder of Vietnam and to start college. But I don't know what I would have done if I could not get a medical deferment. I would have been willing to say or do just about anything to stay the hell out of the army.

My father was drafted into the army during WW2, at the age of 26. I think they were drafting men up to age 35 during WW2. Fortunately for him, he was a very good "finagler", and he was able to finagle himself a plum job in the army. He ended up being stationed in New Caledonia, an island with beautiful sand beaches that was far from any actual combat. He got himself assigned the job of chaplain's assistant, and he got to drive the chaplain around the island in a jeep. I think he was the only one in his entire unit who had access to a jeep. My dad actually remembered his military experience fondly, and considered it to be one of the best times of his life. The chaplain thought that my dad was the greatest guy; they got along really well together. The chaplain also happened to be good friends with my grandmother. After my dad was discharged from the army, he told my grandmother that he knew the nicest young man and eligible bachelor. That's how he ended up meeting and eventually marrying my mom. The rest, as they say, is history.

Martin

Another love and that is sooooo much fun is last minute road trips, (love the spontaneity of it all) especially driving with the top down, listening to great music with great friends to pass the time!!!!! Nothing like upping and leaving everything behind when the opportunity presents itself and visiting old friends!!!! The 12 hour drive will be worth it, lots of fun, visiting a truly great musician for even more fun, staying for a day and night and then driving back home!!!!

God, I truly LOVE LIFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :):):)

While I enlisted in 1964 I was effectively sluiced into the army because of the draft. Not having your military service behind you effectively distorted your life prior and having it behind you didn't end the distortion. The only virtue of the draft was it made you aware if you weren't brain-dead cattle how fucked up the government was and how it was all about fucking you over. Today the fucking up is reaching a crescendo and the whole piece of crap is going to fall down as it finally does to itself what it has been doing to people generally for centuries. There's no saving it and I wouldn't if I could. Screw being an American a subject of the State. Up with being an American a citizen of the world. That way you get to keep the good and flush the rest.

--Brant

don't try to catch a falling safe

> "brain-dead cattle...fucking you over...the whole piece of crap is going to fall down...don't try to catch a falling safe" [pearls of wisdom from Brant, aka mr. sunshine :rolleyes::-) ]

Catch a Falling Safe an' Put it in Your BreastBone

...Never Let it Get Away!

Catch a Falling Safe an' Put it in Your BreastBone

...Makes a Very Rainy Day!

For Death may come and Smash you on the Brainpan,

...Some Star-less night!

Just in case yer Feelin' Suicidal,

...You'll have a Pocketful of Roadkill!

(Pocket full o Roadkill, Pocket full o Roadkill) [..very softly, harmoniously]

For When your Troubles start Multiplyin' ,

...An' they just Might!

An You're Too Dumb to Resolve 'Em , [chorus: Dumb to Resolve 'Em, Dumb to Resolve 'Em]

...You'll Get Crushed into a Pretzel!

(Crushed into a Pretzel, Crushed into a Pretzel) [..softly, gently, wistfully]

--Perry in a Coma <_<

(as channeled by Philip Coates, this 30th day of May 2010...composed by PC especially for Memorial Day)

(and intended to be sung as a lullaby to all good children)

Edited by Philip Coates