Time cover story on Wright

Reidy

The text of Time's 1938 cover story (but not the pictures) is available online. This is of Randian interest in that she kept a copy of this magazine for the rest of her life. I suspect that Wynand's decision, late in The Fountainhead, to promote Roark's career came from her observation of Luce doing the same for Wright in the late 30s.

The text of Time's 1938 cover story (but not the pictures) is available online. This is of Randian interest in that she kept a copy of this magazine for the rest of her life. I suspect that Wynand's decision, late in The Fountainhead, to promote Roark's career came from her observation of Luce doing the same for Wright in the late 30s.

I strongly suspect Fallingwater was the inspiration for the house the hero and his woman repaired to in Anthem.

--Brant

The Wynand country house, too.

Franklin Toker, in Fallingwater Rising, makes the same suggestion about the Wynand house. He points out that Rand would most likely have seen the 1938 MOMA exhibit on the house.

Some biographies of Wright say the he did not like The Fountainhead and was not fond of Rand. I haven't looked at the Heller book to see what is said about this question.

Does anyone who was the Time writer for the cover story? Whitaker Chambers did stories like the Wright story but I don't think he joined Time till later.