JeanBean says hello.

Greetings, I am a young person, old objectivist, and new member to this site.

How is everyone today?

-JeanBean

Welcome aboard!

I'm doing fine. How have you been?

Welcome to our jungle. Your profile says you’re currently involved, and you’re looking for male. Now that’s not necessarily contradictory, but is perhaps ambiguous. Feel free to clarify, or not, chacun à son gout. ;) Hope you enjoy the flora and fauna.

Thank you all for the greetings, just arrived, already feeling welcome...this is my kinda party!

Welcome to our jungle. Your profile says you’re currently involved, and you’re looking for male. Now that’s not necessarily contradictory, but is perhaps ambiguous. Feel free to clarify, or not, chacun à son gout. ;) Hope you enjoy the flora and fauna.

This is true. The thing about my relationship is, I'm currently with a man who I consider the antithesis of my persona. Not that he's a 'bad person', depending on your definition of the term...but he's halfway to being an irrational looter....and he's too ignorant to ever really do any better. Long story short, if I found someone who shared my philosophies I probably wouldn't be looking any longer.

Thanks again for the welcomes, I never knew a site existed like this until yesterday. This is exciting

Let me add my welcome. What Rand have you read?

Hey, I started out with Fountainhead, fell in love...I read Atlas Shrugged, it became my bible. I've read Atlas at least 6 or 7 times by now. I've also read Anthem, which I enjoyed. I would like to start with some of her non-fiction works, I'm sure it'll give me a much deeper insight into her world.

What about you guys?

Jean, Some really nice, idealistic, heartfelt statements in that poem of yours!

The best book to start reading Rand's nonfiction with is "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal". The politics and economics gives you an overview of how the whole system works in a society full of people. (A lot of people start with "The Virtue of Selfishness", but I wouldn't. It doesn't complete make sense till you see the whole social and economic and political panorama.)

Jean,

Welcome to OL! Kick your shoes off and hang your jacket. I was lucky enough for OL to be my first "find" and I haven't left since.

~ Shane

Greetings, I am a young person, old objectivist, and new member to this site.

How is everyone today?

-JeanBean

I assume you mean a long time objectivist.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The best book to start reading Rand's nonfiction with is "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal".

I recommend starting with The Virtue of Selfishness, but if you've read AS 6-7 times, you're going to tear through both in no time, so it doesn't matter much which comes first. Come to think of it, I read The Romantic Manifesto first, and I turned out ok, despite what Phil might tell you. :rolleyes:

Welcome to OL, JeanBean, and thanks for posting the Erykah Badu links on another thread (personally, I prefer her Window Seat vid; the combination of nudity, the raw, one-take format and the location of Dealey Plaza just works for me).

On what to read first, here's an idea: Browse through the entries that interest you at http://aynrandlexicon.com/ and make note of the sources. If a certain book is turning out to be the source more often than others, that might me a good book for you to read first.

J

Jean, Some really nice, idealistic, heartfelt statements in that poem of yours!

The best book to start reading Rand's nonfiction with is "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal". The politics and economics gives you an overview of how the whole system works in a society full of people. (A lot of people start with "The Virtue of Selfishness", but I wouldn't. It doesn't complete make sense till you see the whole social and economic and political panorama.)

I'm not so sure. I started, in high school, by reading The Virtue of Selfishness. It seemed to make sense to me at that time. Of course, I can't go back and start with Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal or any of the other collections. But I bet JeanBean already has some idea of Rand's system from a social or political perspective from reading the novels.

I appreciate the interest you all are taking in little ol' me.

Considering all the advice you guys have given on my next literary choice, I think I'm going to browse the aynrandlexicon site, take note of the sources as Jonathan mentioned, and first read the book that matches up with the source I couldn't take my eyes off of. Now I just need to start saving my pennies to buy The Virtue of Selfishness, Romantic Manifesto, and Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. I'm a very fast reader, so when I purchase books I try to buy many at a time anyway.

Considering all the advice you guys have given on my next literary choice, I think I'm going to browse the aynrandlexicon site, take note of the sources as Jonathan mentioned, and first read the book that matches up with the source I couldn't take my eyes off of. Now I just need to start saving my pennies to buy The Virtue of Selfishness, Romantic Manifesto, and Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. I'm a very fast reader, so when I purchase books I try to buy many at a time anyway.

Heh, being a fast reader, too bad ye not live nearby - with a nice library of some 5000 or so, there'd be plenty to come sit and breeze thru, most covering near all of the desired books, plus a number of the lesser, even non-desired... :blink: but I imagine there're others here much like me in this department, investing in so many of the worthwhile books, while the neighborhood seems rampant with illiterates... <_<

Edited by anonrobt

Have you tried a Kindle or the Kindle app for the iPhone or iPad?

I haven't actually, the first time I read Fountainhead was on an iPhone app, but it wasn't Kindle. I will look into that, much less bulk. lol

Heh, being a fast reader, too bad ye not live nearby - with a nice library of some 5000 or so, there'd be plenty to come sit and breeze thru, most covering near all of the desired books, plus a number of the lesser, even non-desired... :blink: but I imagine there're others here much like me in this department, investing in so many of the worthwhile books, while the neighborhood seems rampant with illiterates... <_<

It really is a shame, I'm banned from my local library because I borrowed a few large stacks of books and decided I wanted to keep em. haha

"I was gonna give em back one day, I swear it!"

It really is a shame, I'm banned from my local library because I borrowed a few large stacks of books and decided I wanted to keep em. haha

JeanBean,

LOL...

You remind me of me...

:)

(Nowadays I go ahead and return them...)

Michael

Jean; You really should return them. One of the things I have done recently is reduce the amount of books I have from the library but I have more peace of mind.

JeanBean,

LOL...

You remind me of me...

:)

(Nowadays I go ahead and return them...)

Michael

Jean; You really should return them. One of the things I have done recently is reduce the amount of books I have from the library but I have more peace of mind.

Hi JeanBean, glad to meet you. Thanks for reminding me of the stack of books I need to return ASAP! :)

Ian

I haven't actually, the first time I read Fountainhead was on an iPhone app, but it wasn't Kindle. I will look into that, much less bulk. lol

I prefer the Kindle itself because the screen is much better -- especially for reading long tomes.

• 7 months later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN!

I hope you are enjoying your birthday!

By the way, I just came across your post on "Black Objectivists". You may be interested in the books and other writings of ANNE WORTHAM, a professor of Sociology who just happens to also be black and an Objectivist.. She is the author of "The Other Side of Racism."

Her career is briefly described on p. 525, of Brian Doherty's "Radicals For Capitalism: A FreeWheeling History of the Modern Libertarian Movement" (2007) and by Barbara Branden on page 407 (start of Chapter 33) in her "The Passion of Ayn Rand"(1986).

Take a look!

Cheers!, Jerry Biggers