Symphony of Science

Peter

New Symphony of Science

Music Video Bonjour Symphony of Science fans!

I am pleased to announce the release of a new Symphony of Science music video today.

It's titled "The Poetry of Reality (An Anthem for Science)", and it features 12 different scientific thinkers, promoting science through words of wisdom. Keep reading for more. To see the entire e-mail, please click this link:

http://aardvarkmailinglist.net/s/ep/?e=14268&s=324869AFR

I think that the author/perpetrator's mean well, but this is just sooooo cheeeeeesy!

puke.gif<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

But I still always get a kick out of Feynman.

People find inspiration in the music of The Masters. Rachmaninoff, Rodrigo, Wagner, and all the other Greats.

There are only a few contemporary musicians like Fleetwood Mac and Rush who promote rationality and Objectivism.

So when I found the Symphony of Science I was grateful. Ninth Doctor says it was “cheesy” I disagree. For those of you who have not watched it, the writer takes the spoken words of Scientists and modulates their voices to produce a musical affect.

When I saw “Our Place in the Cosmos” starring Carl Sagan it brought tears to my eyes. To see Carl and the other participating scientists again was beautiful. I think, we the people of the mind, deserve spirituality in our lives.

I support this site. Check out "Our Place in the Cosmos" first.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

Edited by Peter Taylor

Did you know where that beautiful Olympics music came from?

Peter

TIA Daily • February 24, 2010

Anthems of Pride

The Spirit of the Olympics on CD

by M. Zachary Johnson

Editor's Note: As the Olympics wind down, I thought this would be a good time to re-run a piece that we published in TIA Daily four years ago, during the last winter Olympics, about the heroic music that is usually associated with the games.

This article is also timely in another way. The author, M. Zachary Johnson, has asked me to announce a new concert of his own compositions on March 7. The MSJ Ensemble, a group he formed to perform his works, will be premiering two symphonic works: Portrait of a Woman and Tribute to Schuyler Chapin. The announcement says:

"Seats are free but limited—send e-mail to events@mzacharyjohnson.com to reserve yours now! Come learn how each piece is constructed and the artistic inspiration behind it. For background on the second piece, read Mr. Johnson's beautiful 'Salute to Schuyler Chapin.' "

The event is Sunday, March 7, in the Liederkranz Society Ballroom, 6 E 87th Street (near 5th Ave), in New York City. The concert will be at 2:00pm, followed by a reception.

These are "lecture concerts" in which the composer explains how he composed the pieces—and given how good he is at writing about music, as you can see below, this ought to be a very entertaining and enlightening performance.—RWT

Have you ever noticed that during occasions that have a special spiritual significance, people's taste in music improves? The longest, most striking example of this is Christmas time, when people who are otherwise content with whatever DJs put on the radio turn to music that is more refined, more beautiful, more tenderly expressive, and more emotionally deep. A similar sort of thing happens on Independence Day.

And a similar thing happens at the Olympics. Much of the music played at the Olympics consists of national anthems, which—even for small or backward countries—are invariably noble and majestic. Other music, used for ceremonial purposes and, of course, to begin and end portions of television broadcasts, runs in a similar emotional vein. Most of the music we hear at the Olympics evokes a particular emotion, which, out of all the possible musically evoked emotions, is my personal favorite: pride.

Occasions like Independence Day and the Olympics bring out the best in people. They are a kind of catalyst that makes people want to fully embrace an exalted, noble, heroic view of man and the world. And on those occasions, only certain music will do.

The famous trumpet music that is played so often during broadcasts of the Olympics, often called the "Olympic Fanfare" or "Olympic Theme," is "Bugler's Dream" by Leo Arnaud. The thundering kettledrums, the clear, bright peal of the brass instruments, the majestic rhythm, the dense harmony, the surprising chords, and the simple but well-organized major-key melody make the piece grand, electrifying, and proud.

Leo Arnaud was born in France in 1904 and emigrated to the US in the 1930s. He settled in Hollywood, where he wrote music for motion pictures and conducted the Hollywood String Orchestra. In 1958, conductor Felix Slatkin commissioned him to write a piece for the album "Charge!"; Arnaud created the "Charge Suite," which includes "Bugler's Dream." That same year, a representative from ABC heard the music and purchased the rights to use it for coverage of the Olympics.

The Cleveland Symphonic Winds play the "Charge Suite" brilliantly on a recording titled "Stars and Stripes: Marches, Fanfares, and Wind Band Spectaculars." Leo Arnaud himself plays percussion in this recording. The other pieces on the album are similarly inspiring; they include Percy Grainger's beautiful and well-known "Lincolnshire Posy" and, of course, Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever."

Another recording that includes the "Bugler's Dream"—in what seems to be a somewhat better arrangement—is "NBC Presents: Summon the Heroes." Here, the Boston Pops Orchestra plays a compilation of the big music used at the Olympics; the album includes John Williams's "Summon the Heroes" and "Olympic Fanfare," Leonard Bernstein's "Olympic Hymn," and Vangelis's theme from "Chariots of Fire."

As one Amazon.com reviewer puts it, "From the opening strains...we listeners are transported to a world far removed from our own, a world where epic feats are routine and glory and honor are everywhere."

Amen.

M. Zachary Johnson is a composer and musicologist living in the New York City area.

There are only a few contemporary musicians like Fleetwood Mac and Rush who promote rationality and Objectivism.

Do you have a reference for this? I’ve never heard of Fleetwood Mac being associated with Objectivism, even obliquely. Rush is common knowledge.

Ninth Doctor wrote:

Do you have a reference for this? I’ve never heard of Fleetwood Mac being associated with Objectivism, even obliquely. Rush is common knowledge.

end quote

Sorry, Doc. Not a clue. I just remember Mick was. I think they did an interview in Playboy or some other magazine and mentioned it and later in something else. It is also why, Stevie Nicks, keeps her witchcraft toned down (listen to the lyrics) in Rhiannin, to not bug Mick. And one of them, I believe it was Mick Fleetwood again, plays in StarTrek TNG, Deanna Troy's Mother' (who was Majel Roddenberry and the computer's voice's) as her bald, tall, and incredibly thin servant. StarTrek TNG is the best show ever, especially for someone with Objectivist values.

And no, I don't want to argue about it with someone who thinks "Our Place in the Cosmos" is cheesey.

My turn to zing you.

Remember Disney's cartoon Pinochio? At one point Pinochio and another group of bad boys are playing pool and smoking cigars and suddenly Pinochio's friend starts to bray like a donkey? He grows a tail and his face is transformed into a jackass and he starts to bray uncontrolably, "EEEYA, EEEYA, EEEYA!

Your picture is that Jackass caught in mid-EEEYA!

Please change it, Doc, to something Objective, and joyful, like Pierce Bosnan in "The Thomas Crown Affair," after viewing a topless Renee Russo for 15 minutes. If I were Peirce I would have made sure that nude scene took several days to film.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

And no, I don't want to argue about it with someone who thinks "Our Place in the Cosmos" is cheesey.

It’s an opinion, my immediate reaction, it should be no big deal. I’ve recommended a few musical items on the YouTube thread and other places, if you don’t like them, it’s fine with me. I bet more people watched your video as a result of my embedding it, people can decide for themselves.

Your picture is that Jackass caught in mid-EEEYA!

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Peter:

Out of curiosity, why is it any of your business what his Avatar looks like?

Secondly, as an alleged believer in Ayn's ideas, are you asking Ninth Dr. to sacrifice his own selfish choice of Avatars to your selfish desires not to see it?

Smell a whole lot of altruism a brewin down there in Maryland.

How did that Galt guy phrase that vow thingy?

Adam

quizzically waiting for an answer

Out of curiosity, why is it any of your business what his Avatar looks like?

It doesn’t bug me in the least. His avatar is a cat, for chrissakes!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is bloody and completely sick from Boondock Saints:

<object ><param name="movie" value="

OMG, I just realized you are the ninth Dr. Who? :)

OMG, I just realized you are the ninth Dr. Who? :)

dalek12.gif Good catch, but, ahem, it’s Ninth incarnation of The Doctor, if you please. dr-who-smile-tardis.gif

Eccleston would make a great John Galt, methinks.

Doc wrote:

I bet more people watched your video as a result of my embedding it, people can decide for themselves.

end quote

Thank you for embedding it. When I used your path it jumped to the Utube site. I owe you one.

It is always risky criticizing someone's taste in art or music. People are touchy about it.

And their pets. "You may criticize me, but when you go after my little dog Falla . . . "

Peter

Adam wrote about my dislike of Ninth Doctor's depiction:

Out of curiosity, why is it any of your business what his Avatar looks like? Secondly, as an alleged believer in Ayn's ideas, are you asking Ninth Dr. to sacrifice his own selfish choice of Avatars to your selfish desires not to see it?

end quote

Every time I see it, which is every time I go onto OL, I am forced to look at a disturbing image of a madman. It is the image of someone that I want to have nothing to do with.

Why do I care, beyond the fact that it is "off-putting?" Because it depicts a juvenile's rebellion. Because it is a dilemma to me why someone would deliberately make themselves ugly. It is like putting a tattoo on your face, or a spike through your forehead. What's the point? What "Brand" are you trying to sell? Ugliness. Insanity. Disgust. Fear. Evil just for the sake of being evil.

And personally, I put my cat's picture as my avatar because I do not want to see myself looking back everytime I log on. In my profile I mentioned I look like Dick Cheney. Even my Mom about 8 years ago told me, when I wear a suit, I look just like Dick Cheney, except I don't twist my lips like he does when he is angry.

Once we were going to DC on Route 50, and by chance, trailed the VEEP's huge Winnebago as he was coming back from duck hunting around Easton, Maryland. Two guys who might have been aides or secret service were looking out the back window, which had venetion blinds like a house. I saw one of them point to the bottom of car. Then the other one laughed at what he said. My license plates start out GWB. George W. Bush. Then one of them looked at me and said something like Holy Shit! The next thing I know half the people in the "bus" are coming back to look at me. And laughing at the joke of the VP riding behind them in Bush's car. My wife had a good laugh.

Thanks for telling me offlist about my other error Adam.

I forgot to mention, in two years time, the same thing happened again. We were trailing VP Cheney's mobile command center again, but this time no one noticed me.

Peter

Edited by Peter Taylor

Every time I see it, which is every time I go onto OL, I am forced to look at a disturbing image of a madman. It is the image of someone that I want to have nothing to do with.

Why do I care, beyond the fact that it is "off-putting?" Because it depicts a juvenile's rebellion. Because it is a dilemma to me why someone would deliberately make themselves ugly. It is like putting a tattoo on your face, or a spike through your forehead. What's the point? What "Brand" are you trying to sell? Ugliness. Insanity. Disgust. Fear. Evil just for the sake of being evil.

It’s ridiculous how much you read into it. If you think mine’s bad, for quite a while, Phil Coates used this as his avatar: angry_dog.gif Now THAT was distracting.

Peter:

Just a few points.

First, you did not answer the important "philosophical" issue which was embedded in all my pomp and circumstance.

This is a forum dedicated to discussing ideas in general, but specifically Ayn's ideas.

As a self admitted Objectivist, should Ninth Dr. sacrifice his own interests to you, in order to make you "happy"?

Yes or no. I cannot accept a maybe.

Second, I assume you had a purpose in disclosing that information about contacting off list...yes.

So, Peter forgetting all my Razzle Dazzle,

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Rn5-VN3SH1o

answer the altruism question, please!

Adam

the razzle dazzle also doubles as an obiwan the diminishing's staff meetings

I tried to get a link to the song, “Home,” by the Engineer Band. It is the new theme for the HBO show, “Big Love.” It reminds me of The Symphony of Science. It's one of those songs I would not mind playing at my own funeral. My Mom died this morning, and that is why I was looking for it.

I could not get the link to go thru. If you are interested type in the words "Engineer Band" The site was called Dumbing Down or some such thing and I think "Home" can also be gotten at Youtube. It is so sad, yet uplifting.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Live long and prosper,

Peter

I tried to get a link to the song, "Home," by the Engineer Band. It is the new theme for the HBO show, "Big Love." It reminds me of The Symphony of Science. It's one of those songs I would not mind playing at my own funeral. My Mom died this morning, and that is why I was looking for it.

I could not get the link to go thru. If you are interested type in the words "Engineer Band" The site was called Dumbing Down or some such thing and I think "Home" can also be gotten at Youtube. It is so sad, yet uplifting.

Semper cogitans fidele,

Live long and prosper,

Peter

Peter:

Very sorry to here about your loss:

This is a poem that I adapted from Alan Drury's poem to his mother on her demise.

T0

19XX 19XX

Here lies a heart,

Dead yet ever so near;

I shan't defile her grave

With half a tear.

I would, instead, recall

The many times she paced

This ground to meet

Her love's embrace...

Remember her smiles,

Easily won...

Remember how her hair

Shone in the sun...

Remember how great beauty

Brought her tears...

Remember that she loved me

Many years.

Selected & Adapted by Adam from Allan Drury Novelist

Adam

I tried to get a link to the song, "Home," by the Engineer Band. It is the new theme for the HBO show, "Big Love." It reminds me of The Symphony of Science. It's one of those songs I would not mind playing at my own funeral. My Mom died this morning, and that is why I was looking for it.

Condolences. After the parents go, we are next over the abyss.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Peter if this is it then all you need to do is copy the link.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5RlfJ7fX_ZM

Adam

Great series by the way - have not watched it for about two (2) years though

My deepest condolences, Peter. My own Mom is 95 and every time she goes to bed I'm not sure if she'll ever get up again. Though somewhat demented she lives with the purpose of editing her father's books and every day she marks them up. I never try to set her "right," I just make sure she has her pens.

--Brant