Sleeping with a girl your friend has a crush on

I'm more interested in why you take sleeping around so lightly. Promiscuity is a sign of emotional immaturity.

I really don't believe his story any longer. The whole thing is too much an intellectualization, probably done by a college student writing a term paper.

--Brant

if it is a true story--I don't care anyway; there's nothing in it to really make one care about any of them

Yunger, I would highly recommend that you strike Ms. Xray's post from your consideration.

Ms. Xray is essentially anti male and an exponent of the demasculinization of society by a plethora of confused marxist concepts based in the European system of what they are peddling as "education".

Selene, you don't believe that yourself, do you. :rolleyes:

Can't you see that this thread is an illustrative example of the subjectivity of values? Whatever the decision, it will be directed by what the person values more.

Edited by Xray

Yunger, I would highly recommend that you strike Ms. Xray's post from your consideration.

Ms. Xray is essentially anti male and an exponent of the demasculinization of society by a plethora of confused marxist concepts based in the European system of what they are peddling as "education".

Selene, you don't believe that yourself, do you. :rolleyes:

Can't you see that this thread is an illustrative example of the subjectivity of values? Whatever the decision, it will be directed by what the person values more.

Yes I do.

I'm more interested in why you take sleeping around so lightly. Promiscuity is a sign of emotional immaturity.

I really don't believe his story any longer. The whole thing is too much an intellectualization, probably done by a college student writing a term paper.

--Brant

if it is a true story--I don't care anyway; there's nothing in it to really make one care about any of them

Yes, it's all suspiciously abstract isn't it?

Edited by general semanticist

Ah Ms. Xray:

Slipping in this conditioning statement.

"Since there is no "morally right" by any objective standards..."

Yes there are. Your statement is an incorrect generalization based on the subjective reality you appear to occupy.

Ms. Xray is essentially anti male and an exponent of the demasculinization of society by a plethora of confused marxist concepts based in the European system of what they

are peddling as "education".

You have been warned!

Adam

you know it was worth fighting for!

Morality (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior") has three principal meanings.

In its first, descriptive usage, morality means a code of conduct or a set of beliefs distinguishing between right and wrong behaviors. In its descriptive use, morals are arbitrarily and subjectively created by philosophy, religion, and/or individual conscience. An example of the descriptive usage could be "common conceptions of morality have changed significantly over time." The arbitrariness of morality stems from the observation that actions that may be deemed moral in one culture in time may not be classified as such in others or in a different time. The subjectiveness of morality is shown by the observation that actions or beliefs which by themselves do not seem to cause overt harm may be considered immoral, e.g. marrying someone of the same or opposite gender, being an atheist or a theist, etc. Descriptive morality does not explain why any behavior should be considered right or wrong, only that it may be classified so. For the most part right and wrong acts are classified as such because they cause benefit or harm, respectively. However, this is not by any means an all encompassing criterion; it's possible that many moral beliefs are due to prejudice, ignorance or even hatred.

In its second, normative and universal sense, morality refers to an ideal code of belief and conduct which would be preferred by the sane "moral" person, under specified conditions. In this "definitive" sense, claims are made such as "Killing is immoral." While descriptive morality would not necessarily disagree that killing is immoral, it would prefer to say, "Many believe that killing is immoral." A refined adherence to this latter position is known as moral skepticism, in which the unchanging existence of a rigid, universal, objective moral "truth" is rejected.[1]

In its third usage, morality is synonymous with ethics. Ethics is the systematic philosophical study of the moral domain.[2] Ethics seeks to address questions such as how a moral outcome can be achieved in a specific situation (applied ethics), how moral values should be determined (normative ethics), what morals people actually abide by (descriptive ethics), what the fundamental nature of ethics or morality is, including whether it has any objective justification (meta-ethics), and how moral capacity or moral agency develops and what its nature is (moral psychology).[3]

Common uses of 'morality', take your pick.

Ah Ms. Xray:

Slipping in this conditioning statement.

"Since there is no "morally right" by any objective standards..."

Yes there are. Your statement is an incorrect generalization based on the subjective reality you appear to occupy.

Ms. Xray is essentially anti male and an exponent of the demasculinization of society by a plethora of confused marxist concepts based in the European system of what they

are peddling as "education".

You have been warned!

Adam

you know it was worth fighting for!

Morality (from the Latin moralitas "manner, character, proper behavior") has three principal meanings.

In its first, descriptive usage, morality means a code of conduct or a set of beliefs distinguishing between right and wrong behaviors. In its descriptive use, morals are arbitrarily and subjectively created by philosophy, religion, and/or individual conscience. An example of the descriptive usage could be "common conceptions of morality have changed significantly over time." The arbitrariness of morality stems from the observation that actions that may be deemed moral in one culture in time may not be classified as such in others or in a different time. The subjectiveness of morality is shown by the observation that actions or beliefs which by themselves do not seem to cause overt harm may be considered immoral, e.g. marrying someone of the same or opposite gender, being an atheist or a theist, etc. Descriptive morality does not explain why any behavior should be considered right or wrong, only that it may be classified so. For the most part right and wrong acts are classified as such because they cause benefit or harm, respectively. However, this is not by any means an all encompassing criterion; it's possible that many moral beliefs are due to prejudice, ignorance or even hatred.

In its second, normative and universal sense, morality refers to an ideal code of belief and conduct which would be preferred by the sane "moral" person, under specified conditions. In this "definitive" sense, claims are made such as "Killing is immoral." While descriptive morality would not necessarily disagree that killing is immoral, it would prefer to say, "Many believe that killing is immoral." A refined adherence to this latter position is known as moral skepticism, in which the unchanging existence of a rigid, universal, objective moral "truth" is rejected.[1]

In its third usage, morality is synonymous with ethics. Ethics is the systematic philosophical study of the moral domain.[2] Ethics seeks to address questions such as how a moral outcome can be achieved in a specific situation (applied ethics), how moral values should be determined (normative ethics), what morals people actually abide by (descriptive ethics), what the fundamental nature of ethics or morality is, including whether it has any objective justification (meta-ethics), and how moral capacity or moral agency develops and what its nature is (moral psychology).[3]

Common uses of 'morality', take your pick.

GS:

Thank you for the voting ballot, but as in the last Presidential election, None of the Above Are Acceptable to Me [which makes for a real shitty mnemonic NAAAM].

angry-smiley-014.gif

Adam

--Brant

I get the same feeling. Particularly from the ambiguity he works in, does the friend have a “crush” (junior high) or is he “in love” (adult)? Both.

I know we’re supposed to assume good faith, but my gut’s saying that we’re being gamed.

Apropos of nothing, here's an amusing picture for your trouble

mooseknuckle.jpg

I get the same feeling. Particularly from the ambiguity he works in, does the friend have a “crush” (junior high) or is he “in love” (adult)? Both.

I know we’re supposed to assume good faith, but my gut’s saying that we’re being gamed.

Apparently I am not being clear enough. I have never said that this situation is occuring right now. What I have said said is that it is an issue I have been thinking about for a while, because it has happened in the past and it can happen in the future.

But anyway, I have come to my conclusion now so I'm happy. I wrote my conclusion in my previous post above. So thanks for your help everybody.

"NAAAM" - lol, Adam.

Still, I found GS's post on the varied definitions of morality useful, if only to give an indication of what one is up against 'out there'.

Take your pick : arbitrary - subjective - normative - skeptical - pragmatic.

God, it's moments like this that I recall why I love Rand's simple genius.

Tony

"NAAAM" - lol, Adam.

Still, I found GS's post on the varied definitions of morality useful, if only to give an indication of what one is up against 'out there'.

Tony

I think you are confusing different uses of the word 'morality' with different choices of actual moralities. You choose Ayn Rand's, others do not.

"NAAAM" - lol, Adam.

Tony

I think you are confusing different uses of the word 'morality' with different choices of actual moralities. You choose Ayn Rand's, others do not.

Ja, I surely did, and others sure don't.

(Oh, and I forgot the 'morality' of relativism.)