Do It

The following motivational speech was made by Art Williams to a convention of religious broadcasters in 1987.

If you can make a mental adjustment for the religion (just gloss over it, there isn't much), I cannot recommend this speech highly enough. It is spiritual fuel in the Randian sense for the times when you get down and negative and tired and weary and bitter and cynical and you need to get up and get going again.

I wish we had this kind of stuff in Objectivism.

I came across this in my Internet marketing research. It was so highly recommended that I decided to watch it despite the religion. Then I saw it was 20 minutes. I groaned. But I watched it anyway. After I saw it, I wished it were longer.

Art Williams - Do It Speech

I am putting this in Chewing on Ideas to see if anyone has any idea about how to do this kind of thing with an Objectivist or libertarian message. A recent staging of a modern-day Thomas Paine that I mentioned earlier is in the ballpark, but it was too political for achievement inspiration.

People can like Williams or not, but he is a high-end achiever in his profession. I admire that more than I can say. He also knows what the spirit needs to do it, too. And I don't mean Christianity.

This speech was presented in 1987. It is more relevant to the current times than is comfortable.

Michael

The following motivational speech was made by Art Williams to a convention of religious broadcasters in 1987.

I love motivation speakers. Thanks, Mike!

You know what else Objectivism lacks? Great rock and roll.

As a pilot, I put together an audio tape of flying songs and gave them out. You can't do that with money or work or capitalism or reason or reality...

I mentioned elsewhere that I have been following the progress of Diane Hochman, an Internet marketer. I have not had contact with her, but I probably will some day.

She just put out a couple of videos on how to reprogram your subconscious, which is a very Rand-like thing. Although I do not agree with Rand that all emotions can be reprogrammed, that inner voice that runs constantly certainly can be.

Unfortunately, Rand did not give a practical system for doing this. Nathaniel Branden comes very close, but he is focused on happiness, not generating wealth. So Diane mentioned how she has done it. I have read this stuff in other places, but Diane breaks it down really well.

I know Diane's system works, too, because I have been doing this myself in my own manner. What's strange is that I did not know she thought the same way I did on this issue until just now when I saw these videos.

So here they are. If you are in a bad hopeless place with this economic crisis looming, I cannot recommend this system highly enough. It works. It's simple. And the principle is unchanging: If you change yourself, your finances change along with you.

In my long-delayed course, I will be elaborating on this. In fact, this idea was already in the works as a section. I am preempting here because Diane specifically asked people to pass these videos along. I think here is a good place. I hope they help somebody out there. This system has helped me a lot.

Michael

Great find, Michael.

The best of speakers bring something to the table that transcend time, and stays relevant to present day.

And he had me laughing. Funny guy!

~ Shane

Micheal: Good stuff. A lot of neural programing involved. I just wish folks would not be so afraid of that type of self discipline. All ideas sound wonderful, but working them everyday are what makes the difference in achievements for a lot of folks.

Shane:

"...he had me laughing."

I'm from NY City, please tell me you left of the first "s" lol

I am sure you would agree with repetition and self discipline coming from the Air Force.

Adam

Adam,

Clarity isn't my forte. I presume, all too often, that everyone rides the same wavelength I'm on...lol.

I was referring to Art Williams, as I haven't watched Diane's videos yet. Art struck me as funny delivering some of his antics in front of that particular audience.

~ Shane

Adam,

You could call some of this neural programming, but some of it is just plain choice.

For instance, Williams is correct that you have to be excited and stay excited about what you are doing over the long haul if you are going to get to the top. There is only one way to do that long-term: believe with all your heart and mind in the goodness and correctness of what you are doing. This is something you chose.

What Diane is talking about is essentially changing your parents and your school upbringing in your mind. You can go back in time and choose other parents and another school in one sense: the messages they left in you. What they left in your mind can be changed by repetition. It got there by repetition so it can be replaced by repetition.

Obviously there are subconscious payoffs and triggers and other things involved, but basically wanting something real bad and repeating a message that you can get it and deserve to get it to counter and replace that small nonstop inner voice that says you aren't good enough is a wise move. If a process that simple yet so beneficial can be done, it should be done.

There is a parallel that bothers many adults about Atlas Shrugged, but it works wonderfully with younger folks. People complain that she hammers the same message over and over throughout the book. They usually state this insinuating that it is a tiresome quirk. But it is precisely that repetition with varying emotional nuances that helps a young person undo some of the stuff that has been hammered into him up to that point.

Her message also corresponds to what young people observe when they think for themselves. This makes it especially easy to hammer in by repetition.

As an aside (since I started talking about Atlas Shrugged), there is an aspect that I have not seen anyone write about. I have been studying the work of a guy named Blair Warren. He mentioned some hidden addictions that all people have that savvy people use to influence them. He calls them addictions because our minds become hijacked by them at the moment they are encountered and we are only aware of the hijack after we are released, however we always want more. During the hijack, we are extremely susceptible to suggestions from others.

(This mental hijack belongs to another discussion, but it exists. One example is when you get so involved in thinking about something that you don't hear what someone in front of you is saying. You literally are not aware of the point when you became so engaged in your deep thought. It is very similar to going asleep, except you are awake. You are never aware of the moment you fall asleep just as you are never aware of when you mind becomes super focused on something. Warren mentions an exercise to show what he means. Get a small button and hold it when you watch a movie. Try to push the button the moment you become fully engaged in the story. You can't because our minds do not permit awareness of that mental change.)

The hidden addictions Warren mentions are hope, being right, scapegoating others, feeling needed, knowing secret information that others don't know, feeling accepted and understood, and feeling a sense of power. There are more, but these are the ones he mentions. There is a lot of scientific evidence to corroborate a lot of Warren's conclusions, but I will leave all this for another time. I just want to mention here that Ayn Rand serves a generous portion to feed each one of those hidden addictions in Atlas Shrugged. It is impressive how accurately she targets them.

Michael

Here is another of Diane's videos. It was done before the two above (and was probably the prompt for her to do them), but it works wonderfully as a recap after seeing them.

I find this to be an interesting exercise of volition. You can't choose the fact that the environment will impact you, but you can choose the environment that you allow around you.

The idea is that you can't learn everything by osmosis (as liberals believe), but you can learn much. It makes perfect sense to identify the things that are going to change you (and they are going to do that whether you like it or not) and simply choose which ones you want in place around you.

You can choose the big picture then let the environment do the automatic stuff on your soul that you can't choose.

As an aside, it is very interesting to compare Diane's description of the development of a child's learning with the ones given by Ayn Rand in ITOE and her essay "The Comprachicos." I don't see these identifications (or approaches) as either-or. (btw - I don't mean to imply that Diane Hochman is an Ayn Rand. Far from it and I only mention this to preempt the boneheaded-type Objectivists who scream "Rand-diminisher" are every turn.) I specifically mean the automatic learning mentioned by Diane as opposed to the individual choice and control by others mentioned by Ayn Rand. One approach complements the other quite nicely.

Michael

As an aside, it is very interesting to compare Diane's description of the development of a child's learning with the ones given by Ayn Rand in ITOE and her essay "The Comprachicos." I don't see these identifications (or approaches) as either-or. (btw - I don't mean to imply that Diane Hochman is an Ayn Rand. Far from it and I only mention this to preempt the boneheaded-type Objectivists who scream "Rand-diminisher" are every turn.) I specifically mean the automatic learning mentioned by Diane as opposed to the individual choice and control by others mentioned by Ayn Rand. One approach complements the other quite nicely.

Michael

I stared at the wall for a bit and I didn't become the wall, even a little bit.

Ba'al Chatzaf (counterexamples 'R us)

I stared at the wall for a bit and I didn't become the wall, even a little bit.

Bob,

You have to stare at the wall for a long time for it to work.

My second trombone player in the São Paulo State Symphony Orchestra once came to me and said he dreamed about having sex with a wall. This bothered him and he talked about it incredulously for several days.

Probably came from too much staring at walls...

:)

Michael

(PS: I'm bantering, of course.)

Stay away from those socket thig-a-ma-jigs unless you are really into D/s electrical play!

My second trombone player in the São Paulo State Symphony Orchestra once came to me and said he dreamed about having sex with a wall. This bothered him and he talked about it incredulously for several days.

Hmmm... sounds like a "glory" hole.

Ah duhnow.

Sum of itis homespun, i lahk that, cuz it makes me write ciphers on my shovel.

Oh, crap, any good motivational speaker will get you, Michael. Seen 'em all.

Watch Zig or Brian Tracy or one of those guys on a tear. Robbins.

Then two days later yew rnt hip-know-tibed no mo' no mo' no mo.

r

Hey let's all start up with some breathin' 'n stratches.

• 2 months later...

Michael:

Thank you.

Anyone who has ever coached, led or played on a "give me your best or I will do my best" team, or applies that attitude to their work, never "fails", and when they succeed, it is spectacular!

Now I will have to see the movie.

Adam

Edited by Selene

You know what else Objectivism lacks? Great rock and roll.

No, we have that. Rush, many others. Me: www.cdbaby.com/cd/ota

It's just that we don't get let in for the meet and greets. :frantics:

rde

Sometimes a little bit goes a long way.

Sandler's system is good (this trainer is a real trip)

http://www.strimoo.com/video/15270951/Sand...ystem-Veoh.html

I got certified in this a long time ago. Fortunately, I don't have to watch motivational stuff anymore. But, if you're going to...

Motivational stuff wears you down because you have to spend a lot of time in conference rooms. The other thing you have to realize is that, one way or the other, they have already sold YOU. That's why you're there.

If I still had the (perceived) need to go to a seminar, I'd pay big money and see a superstar. But I would not be there to learn, only to bask in their presence. These things are like going to rock concerts, except you usually don't get beer and you can't take your weird friends.

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSa-sdQswo

This is exactly how it sounded as there is a tape of the real Herb Brooks and the team before they went out and kicked their

asses.

Remember the moron from Plains was sitting with a sweater on while the current President of Iran was torturing them.

444 days

So this is as close to a real speech of that type as we have.

Adam

Post Script: and this is a miracle that I finally figured out how to put in the actual u-tube picture!

Welcome Leonor:

Good place to enjoy exploring ideas.

Adam

Post Script:

"There is growing evidence that mercury is implicated in autism."

Careful here there is a lot of poor spotty studies and a lot of publicity and agenda driven

groups including Diedre Imus and her husband's whole network of TV and radio.

Edited by Selene

Wow, it took him fifteen minutes to say what Yoda said in eight words...

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'"

Edited by Michelle R

I wish we had this kind of stuff in Objectivism.

Do it! :)

:lol:

You are quite clever, I must say.