Obama opens up stem cell work, science inquiries

Obama opens up stem cell work, science inquiries

By SETH BORENSTEIN and BEN FELLER

March 9, 2009

My Way News

From the article:

From tiny embryonic cells to the large-scale physics of global warming, President Barack Obama urged researchers on Monday to follow science and not ideology as he abolished contentious Bush-era restraints on stem-cell research. "Our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values," Obama declared as he signed documents changing U.S. science policy and removing what some researchers have said were shackles on their work.

"It is about ensuring that scientific data is never distorted or concealed to serve a political agenda - and that we make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology," Obama said.

Researchers said the new president's message was clear: Science, which once propelled men to the moon, again matters in American life.

. . .

The most immediate effect will allow federally funded researchers to use hundreds of new embryonic stem cell lines for promising, but still long-range research in hopes of creating better treatments, possibly even cures, for conditions ranging from diabetes to paralysis. Until now, those researchers had to limit themselves to just 21 stem cell lines created before August 2001, when President George W. Bush limited funding because of "fundamental questions about the beginnings of life and the ends of science."

Setting aside whether the USA government should be funding this, I am glad to see President Obama get something right for a change.

It's a weird feeling to see the following words attributed to him: "Our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values." It's a weird feeling because it's so morally correct.

The only difference I have with this approach is that devotion to reason is an "ideology" just as much as devotion to dogma is. So to tell scientists to follow science instead of ideology is another false dichotomy.

Michael

Setting aside whether the USA government should be funding this, I am glad to see President Obama get something right for a change.

It's a weird feeling to see the following words attributed to him: "Our government has forced what I believe is a false choice between sound science and moral values." It's a weird feeling because it's so morally correct.

The only difference I have with this approach is that devotion to reason is an "ideology" just as much as devotion to dogma is. So to tell scientists to follow science instead of ideology is another false dichotomy.

Michael

It should be noted that embryonic stem cell research was never outlawed. It was perfectly legal to do work on stem cell lines not on Shrub's arbitrary list.

The government should not be funding any medical activities other than those related to national defense. If the texpayers pay for an army they should also pay for the medics and military hospitals.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Of course it was never outlawed. That's why I wrote, "setting aside whether the USA government should be funding this..."

But with federal funding it will get a strong boost.

I agree that the government should not be funding these things. But since it is, I am glad it will be stem cell research, similar to the way Rand was glad it was space travel.

Michael

Of course it was never outlawed. That's why I wrote, "setting aside whether the USA government should be funding this..."

But with federal funding it will get a strong boost.

I agree that the government should not be funding these things. But since it is, I am glad it will be stem cell research, similar to the way Rand was glad it was space travel.

Michael

Let's see. A legal line of research and development that would revolutionize treatment of disease. One would think this is a siren call to an entrepenuer to make a bundle. So where were the capitalist drug makers?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al:

The private stem cell research is concentrating on adult stem cells since they are differentiated. Your own bone marrow stem cells are showing real promise whereas the "embryonic" stem cell lines that have been permitted to be used in research have been dead ends.

Private research money has moved away from the embryonic lines.

The underlining battle that O'Biwan the Magnificent's decision reversed is a boon to the abortion/planned parenthood funding streams which is a visceral issue to the christian community.

Adam

One of my favorite books was by Mildred Savage - IN VIVO, about an independent drug company in the late 40's, in the early days of antibiotic research... always thought it one of the better ones for showing the difficulties in getting viable drugs...

Georgia's response to the stem cell research was that they would outlaw the use and creation of human embryos in research. http://www.macon.com/149/story/644192.html

You have to wonder whether it would be a wise business decision to invest millions of dollars in stem cell research, machines, scientists, employees, etc when the government can shut you down the day after you make the investment. I think that may be stopping some drug makers from trying to put effort into it.

• 3 months later...

Interesting.

This hit yesterday on Drudge - it is still up - cute little tadpoles are they not?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...university.html

Adam

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I wish Kira Peikoff good luck.

One Amazon reviewer complained about the large number of first time Amazon reviewers giving her a 5 star rating (and he gave her a one-star), but the comments from Lee Childs and a few other best-selling authors is impressive.

I know children of famous people get a boost, especially the first time out, and when Hollywood connections are involved, the boost is stronger, but still, she did write a novel and lots of important people put their name to praising it. Achievement is achievement.

May the book be good (at least), the public respond well and may she go on to become a great author.

I find it really good that some thriller fiction is emerging from the Objectivist subculture, first Robert Bidinotto's book, Hunter, a few months ago, now this, Living Proof by Kira Peikoff.

Michael

• 2 months later...