Facts of Reality

BaalChatzaf

When you say, "Facts are what is the case. They do not require anyone to comprehend the case they are to be the case"--I have to ask, doesn't a value require a valuer? Doesn't a fact require a thinker?

The sun exists and existed before there was any life on earth. In fact there is life on earth because the sun existed and is what it is, a source of heat and light. Facts are what is. They do not require a thinker to be. They require a thinker to be known

. Being and being known are distinct matters.

Ba'al Chatzaf

GS,

You don't say. Is that a fact?

:)

Your statement is an opinion (and an error to boot), not a fact.

And that's a fact.

Michael

A statement about some phenomena is not the same as a statement about that statement.

Excuse me, I am lost,...

Are these where the International Semantic Sumo Wrestling matches are held?

Adam

A statement about some phenomena is not the same as a statement about that statement.

GS,

Of course not. Everyone knows a statement is not a phenomenon, not even as a statement.

Anyway, you made the statement about the phenomenon as if not being a fact were a fact and I made a statement about your statement saying your statement was not a fact at all and you made a statement about my statement implying my statement was only a statement and not a fact, but, for clarity, you actually only said that there is a difference between types of statements, i.e., statements about phenomena and statements about statements, which presumably are not factual differences, but some kind of other difference instead.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...