-40C = -40F

tjohnson

Robert:

Thus sayeth the Ba'al and the Brinker Boys appeared: http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/01/16/europe/skaters.php

"Melting of ice can cause so much fresh water to enter the Atlantic that the halocline gradient, also known as the Atlantic Conveyor will cease to carry the warm Gulf Stream waters northward to the Maritime Provence and to Europe. The result is that melting can cause the East Coast of Canada, Britain and the countries bounded by the North Sea to freeze. This has happened before. Think of Hans Brincker and the Silver Skates."

Adam

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe hell is freezing over?

I like the cold.

Anyone who has studied thermodynamics knows that engines are more efficient in the cold.

You can always put on more clothes, and turn up the heat, but you can't take your skin off.

I am sleeping with the window open and the fan on and three comforters. Sheer bliss.

A year without a deep freeze is like a Democrat majority in both houses, sweaty palms, hot air, and it stinks.

I am sleeping with the window open and the fan on and three comforters. Sheer bliss.

Is that how you are able to post so much on the Internet--sleep typing?

--Brant

I do type and think at the same speed, and think in complete paragraphs.

I am surprised you think my output so prodigious.

HMMM

Brant 4 posts per day

Keer 1 post per day

ok now I am really confused!

--Brant

It is on R of R.

--Brant

--Brant

It is on R of R.

--Brant

Well, that explains the truck with AZ plates parked outside my window. Now, how long until this becomes a thread at SOLOP?

--Brant

It is on R of R.

--Brant

Well, that explains the truck with AZ plates parked outside my window. Now, how long until this becomes a thread at SOLOP?

Never. SOLOP hasn't been funny since I left over 2 years ago.

--Brant

Run for the gulch! Or, maybe call Ghostbusters!

We have only four years to live at the high standard of living that we have!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009...im-hansen-obama

Adam

The Guardian is full of shit. Here's a take on Rand

The recent news that the philosophy department at one of America's leading public universities has established a $300,000 fellowship in honour of Ayn Rand offered another reminder - if one were needed - of the growing academic dimension to the international following enjoyed by this rather odd Russian-born novelist-philosopher.

Rand, a self-styled high empress of the libertarian right, who died in 1982 has long enjoyed wide popularity outside academe. Her coterie extends beyond the 30m (and counting, at a pace of several hundred thousand a year) readers who have purchased her books to include such pop stars as Simon Le Bon and the tennis player Billie Jean King, along with an array of trade union bosses, economists and political insiders on both sides of the Atlantic.

Ted:

I do not care about the Guardian lol.

The utter stupidity of the story and the fact that taxpayer dollars go to this scientist infuriates me.

Do you live in the City?

Adam

The Guardian is full of shit. Here's a take on Rand

The recent news that the philosophy department at one of America's leading public universities has established a $300,000 fellowship in honour of Ayn Rand offered another reminder - if one were needed - of the growing academic dimension to the international following enjoyed by this rather odd Russian-born novelist-philosopher.

Rand, a self-styled high empress of the libertarian right, who died in 1982 has long enjoyed wide popularity outside academe. Her coterie extends beyond the 30m (and counting, at a pace of several hundred thousand a year) readers who have purchased her books to include such pop stars as Simon Le Bon and the tennis player Billie Jean King, along with an array of trade union bosses, economists and political insiders on both sides of the Atlantic.

there is no such thing as bad publicity unless you are Fatty Arbuckle.

--Brant

Once while doing mineral exploration I broke through some ice on a beaver pond and went in up to my shoulders. I got out quite quickly and since I wasn't going to meet up with my co-workers for 6 hrs I continued working as fast as I could. It was fairly demanding physical work so I was able to stay warm by moving all the time. I only stopped briefly for a few minutes to eat and my clothes were mostly frozen except around my knees and places where there constant movement. There was a fair bit of steam coming off me and I was actually slowly drying out. Of course, it was only about -10C that day :D

Damn, General, that experience is definitely a chilling one. Breaking through the ice up to your shoulders in cold water is an ultimate horror and has got to be unbelievably cold.

I fell through beaver dam ice once in frigid weather while ice skating, but I only got one leg wet and that was cold enough for me.

I know in an approximate way what you mean by your clothes freezing in all places except for the articulation points that were in constant movement. In the 1970s the great synthetic fabrics of today were not yet available much, so I dressed in wool from head to toe, marino wool long-johns to heavy wool outer layers, with a cotton/nylon wind layer outermost. I often iced up from frozen sweat and moisture from wallowing up through snow all day. My wool mittens (excellent Dachstein mitts from Austria) got so wet and frozen on my ice climbing trips that I had to use my other hand to break the ice build-up at my hands’ knuckle articulation points so that I could grip my ice axe, but my hands were still relatively unfrozen.

I also know what you mean by drying out from the inside out. Body heat can do that. After climbing in snow and ice all day, my wool clothing would be quite wet and iced, but in the sleeping bag it would dry out by morning from my body heat. I would put my frozen wool mittens inside my shirt at my chest, and they would be dry by morning.

As an aside, in 1979 all ice climbers I met had a copy of the brand new book *Climbing Ice* by Yvon Chouinard. Chouinard gave us the most excellent advice, but on one point everyone laughed at him: he said that synthetic fabrics would replace wool in the mountain sports within 10 years. Yeah, right! Well, he was right. Synthetic long underwear, fleece mid-wear and synthetic outerwear did outperform wool in all categories, and we all eventually converted to the concept.

I hope everyone here is aware that “Cotton Kills,” and is totally inappropriate for cold weather clothing. Dangerous fabric.

Doing a desperate lead ice climb in the mid-1990s, I was better dressed with synthetics from inside out. There was a lot of water running down over the ice. I was forced to climb a gulley with ice for purchase only for my right hand ice axe and right foot’s crampons, but for my left hand and foot there was only rock with water gushing over it. So as I reached up with my left hand to find a rock handhold, cold water flowed down my left sleeve, down the length of my left side and back and into my left boot. It was unpleasant, but the synthetics performed so much better than the wool would have. And of course the temperature was not as cold.

General, I am very curious about your falling through the ice experience. What was your clothing gear made up of?

-Ross Barlow.

General, I am very curious about your falling through the ice experience. What was your clothing gear made up of?

-Ross Barlow.

Hell it was back in 1976 or so, I wasn't wearing anything fancy. I was doing what is called 'claim-staking' - you walk with a compass in as straight line as you can and blaze trees with your axe. Every quarter mile you make a claim post out of a small tree and nail on some claim tags - so you can generate a lot of heat if you go fast. I was probably wearing hiking boots, long johns, work pants and shirt, maybe a vest and a jacket. I have a fair bit of experience surveying in cold weather and I found the warmest setup was to wear insulated overalls, nylon snow pants and a down parka with arctic style boots. Of course this would be useless if you were hiking or climbing because you can hardly move :) It's good when it's -50 in the morning and the high for the day is -45 around 1:00 pm and you have to stand still and look through a lens and try not to breathe on it. I'm sure there are a lot more high tech solutions nowadays - anyway everyone uses GPS now so there is hardly any surveying anymore. I guess when you are climbing you can't move too fast and so you can't generate that much heat eh?

"If we are in for a cold spell why are the icecaps melting, or do you not accept that?"

http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=13834

Sorry, I don't know how to use the quote thing but this set of posts made me curious enough to do some pleasant research and find out a little more about global warming/cooling. Also see:

http://isthereglobalcooling.com/

GS,

Talk to Gore.

See if he can do something with a law or whatever.

:)

Michael

There was something on the internet about Mars heating in parallel with the earths heating. The article I read quoted a Russian Meterologist who was cynical of UN-IPCC findings and Al Gore. Anyone know any details of that?

Cecil Williams

You people complaining about the cold are a bunch of sissies! Try being brought up in Winnipeg, where -40 was a balmy winter day (well, that's a slight exaggeration). and no one calculated the wind chill. I walked to school ten blocks every day (no, I'm not Abe Lincoln). The only time the schools ever closed was when it was more than -50. With the weather forecast, we were told how many seconds one could be outside before exposed skin began to freeze.

I haven't been cold since I left Winnipeg.

Barbara

Sorry, I don't know how to use the quote thing but this set of posts made me curious enough to do some pleasant research and find out a little more about global warming/cooling. Also see:

http://isthereglobalcooling.com/

Thanks for the link! That was very informative, I think I am revising some of my beliefs. :)

My own observations of the weather in the Canadian Maritime provinces over the past 10-15 years is that the summers have been getting cooler but the winters have getting milder. It also seems as though the seasons are shifting somewhat- the whole cycle seems to have moved a month or so summer comes later and stays later and same with winter. this kind of fits in with the glacier melting in Greenland because the influx of cold water would cool of the Gulf Stream causing cooler weather in the summer but at the same time have a moderating effect on winters. My pet theory for now. :)

Semanticist:

"I think I am revising some of my beliefs."

I guess I should have included that quote from post #45.

Adam