Philosopher Bertrand Russell's Teapot

galtgulch

Galt; At first glance this sounds a something like Peikoff's argument against arbitrary statements.

Like Nathaniel Branden's refusal to acknowledge that Kant had first used the argument that determinism means one can't acquire knowledge. I am not surprised that Peikoff would not acknowledge Russell's argument.

According to OL's own Ted Keer, at another site, the first to use that anti-determinist argument was Epicurus, long before Kant.

I just wrote a program that puts out the statement:

Why should I believe that I was programmed to write out the statement; "Why should I believe that is was programmed to write out this statement"

Why indeed?

Ba'al Chatzaf

I am not surprised that Peikoff would not acknowledge Russell's argument.

Is the Pope even aware of this argument? If asked could he summarize Russell's ideas on a level other then, "Its Evil Intrincisist, subjectivist, Kantian, anti-concepts of Altruism!!!!!"

I'm inclined to agree with #5. The notions of burden of proof and the need to make a case are familiar ones in philosophy, law and everyday life. The resemblance between what Peikoff says and what Russell says is not enough to prove plagiarism or deliberate suppression.