Joe The Plumber: Obama Tax Plan 'Infuriates Me'

Michael Stuart Kelly

Joe The Plumber: Obama Tax Plan 'Infuriates Me'

Political Radar

ABC News

October 16, 2008

From the article:

"Joe The Plumber" has weighed in on Wednesday's presidential debate and he says that Barack Obama's tax plan "infuriates me."

"To be honest with you, that infuriates me," plumber Joe Wurzelbacher told Nightline's Terry Moran. "It's not right for someone to decide you made too much---that you've done too good and now we're going to take some of it back."

"That's just completely wrong," he added.

. . .

During his telephone interview with ABC News, the Ohio plumber argued that the government should not tax some Americans at a higher percentage than others and argued that this principle should extend not only to taxpayers at his income-level but also to the world's richest man.

"I don't like it," said Wurzelbacher. "You know, me or -- you know, Bill Gates, I don't care who you are. If you worked for it, if it was your idea, and you implemented it, it's not right for someone to decide you made too much."

That's about as Randish as it gets.

Good for Joe.

Michael

I heard something remarkable on television this evening. Governor Huckabee was arguing with a liberal about Obama's statement to Joe the Plumber that it was a good idea to "spread the wealth around." Huckabee said, with great conviction -- I immediately wrote down his words to be sure I had them exactly -- "The important question is: Does the government have the right to take the money one person has earned -- because the government has decided he has too much money -- and give it to someone who has not earned it."

!!!!!

Barbara

What's interesting about Huckabee's remarks is precisely that he isn't an Objectivist. He's made a career of combining the worst of welfare statism with the worst of religious conservatism. The reason he flamed out in the primaries this year is that any Republican who found him acceptable on one ground found him repellent on the other. These ideas are becoming the conventional wisdom and not Objectivist wisdom (as Nathaniel Branden said years ago they would have to in order to go anywhere).

Unfortunately the U.S. is going to go through one more cycle of liberal ascendancy to bring this about, but this is a good time to think abou what's going to happen after that. Try to find a Republican five years from now who'll argue that the policies of Bush and the post-1994 congress are the way win elections.

(All of this supposing that free speech and free elections survive an Obama administration)