Constitution Day 2008

Chris Grieb

In 1787 on this day the US Constitution was presented to the states for ratification. I will observe by going to Cato Institute to hear about last year's Supreme Court term and the next one. I will also say a thank you to the men who wrote the original. It has been improved with the amendments epically the ending of slavery and the making of suffrage more universal.

Thank you to those men in Philadelphia. May they be praised for many centuries.

Chris:

Amen. Hosannas and a well done from the third generation son of Northern Italian immigrants who have loved this incredible experiment since the first day that they came through Ellis Island somewhere in 1905.

I could not think of any other system extent today that I would chose to live in and raise children in.

Their courage and insight into the basic nature of man, the nature of government and the nature of life, liberty and the pursuit [not guarantee] of happiness has become a platitude to the well healed and self-anointed effete elites in the culture, but not to me or I am reasonably certain, most of the members of this forum.

Thank you for reminding us Chris and I join you in being humbled by what they accomplished by having faith in their judgment and a burning desire to live free or die trying.

Adam

Chris:

As always, thank you for your insights and information.

I will tune in.

Seems like your health is holding, correct?

Adam

Chris and the rest of the OB folks:

Any of you that have any reason to be in contact with any school receiving Federal Funds, e.g., you have children or grandchildren going to school, or you teach or do business with schools, or you have neighbors, friends, relatives with contacts in the schools, find out if the schools followed this

FEDERAL LAW PASSED IN 2005

I would be very interested in our tax dollars at work!

Adam

• 2 months later...

In 1787 on this day the US Constitution was presented to the states for ratification. I will observe by going to Cato Institute to hear about last year's Supreme Court term and the next one. I will also say a thank you to the men who wrote the original. It has been improved with the amendments epically the ending of slavery and the making of suffrage more universal.

Thank you to those men in Philadelphia. May they be praised for many centuries.

Shall we thank them for the compromises that ultimately lead to Civil War that killed 620,000 Americans and maimed an million and a half additionally?

As to "improvements", consider the 16-th amendment.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf, give it rest. Christ, does context mean anything to you?

Give the truth "a rest"? Interesting idea.

I am on a "mission from God". My Mission is to tell the truth (as best I know it) and to remind the Emperor that he is bare-ass naked.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf, give it rest. Christ, does context mean anything to you?

Give the truth "a rest"? Interesting idea.

I am on a "mission from God". My Mission is to tell the truth (as best I know it) and to remind the Emperor that he is bare-ass naked.

Ba'al Chatzaf

A truth told with bad intent

Beats all the lies you can invent (Blake)

--Brant

--Brant

What bad intent? I consider historical truth to be of positive value. If we bullshit ourselves concerning the past, we are likely to bullshit ourselves concerning the future. Not a good thing.

In the history of the U.S., Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness has been compromised and contested from day uno. This nation was half slave from the beginning. Not a good start for a Free Country. It expanded its domain by a quasi-genocidal action against the original dwellers in the land. Not very friendly. Apparently the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness of and by aboriginals does not count for much. A City on the Hill with waves of blood lapping at its gates is not all that elevated.

When I hear how our nation started off pure and got worse, the needle of my bullshit gauge nearly bends in half. It started off poorly, got worse in some ways and better in others. The good news is that free speech is still largely intact. Let us not lose that or we shall surely be doomed.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Robert:

You do know how to exist this Republic, I am sure you can avoid the guard towers, minefields and coordinated machine gun fire that keeps you a prisoner here!

Adam

Robert:

You do know how to exist this Republic, I am sure you can avoid the guard towers, minefields and coordinated machine gun fire that keeps you a prisoner here!

Adam

The best way to improve something is to identify its shortcomings.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Robert

Really? So you would consistently identify the short comings in your spouse or significant other from the first day you meet them so you could achieve a perfect relationship?

Adam

Robert

Really? So you would consistently identify the short comings in your spouse or significant other from the first day you meet them so you could achieve a perfect relationship?

Adam

Better sooner than later.

In the case of the U.S. I waited 180 years.

If you love your country, you will want to repair its defects. To fix what is wrong, one must identify what is wrong.

Ba'al Chataf

--Brant

What bad intent? I consider historical truth to be of positive value. If we bullshit ourselves concerning the past, we are likely to bullshit ourselves concerning the future. Not a good thing.

In the history of the U.S., Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness has been compromised and contested from day uno. This nation was half slave from the beginning. Not a good start for a Free Country. It expanded its domain by a quasi-genocidal action against the original dwellers in the land. Not very friendly. Apparently the life, liberty and pursuit of happiness of and by aboriginals does not count for much. A City on the Hill with waves of blood lapping at its gates is not all that elevated.

When I hear how our nation started off pure and got worse, the needle of my bullshit gauge nearly bends in half. It started off poorly, got worse in some ways and better in others. The good news is that free speech is still largely intact. Let us not lose that or we shall surely be doomed.

"Bad intent" refers to your attitude toward the discussion. You generally contemn philosophy so you attack this discussion with your selective version of history vitiating the context.

--Brant

"Bad intent" refers to your attitude toward the discussion. You generally contemn philosophy so you attack this discussion with your selective version of history vitiating the context.

--Brant

Selective version of history = historical accuracy. I challenge you to fault what I have said on factual grounds. My attitude toward the discussion is to be accurate and precise in the empirical sense.

Ba'al Chatzaf

--Brant

Selective version of history = historical accuracy. I challenge you to fault what I have said on factual grounds. My attitude toward the discussion is to be accurate and precise in the empirical sense.

Sure, you might as well blame James Madison for Hitler, not just the Civil War. I can give you a time-fact line on that. History is full of "facts" and suggestions about what those facts mean and what caused them and should-have beens and could-have beens. If there had been a better constitution or no United States, Europeans would still have pushed West displacing and killing American Indians with guns and disease. I suspect they would have killed them all under a mere confederation. Should I therefore praise the Constitution because they all weren't? (Where are the previous inhabitants of Tasmania?) Should I praise the Founding Fathers because they laid the groundwork for a mighty country that crushed and stopped 20th Century tyranny? Let us say there had been two countries because the North wanted the South to give up slavery from the get-go. Are you sure there wouldn't have been war anyway scores of years later? Should we then blame Madison for that terrible carnage because he et al. was unsuccessful in imposing a constitution on all the former colonies? The vast social, economic, psychological and political forces that made this country were only somewhat informed and bridled by our particular constitutional republic.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Sure, you might as well blame James Madison for Hitler, not just the Civil War. I can give you a time-fact line on that. History is full of "facts" and suggestions about what those facts mean and what caused them and should-have beens and could-have beens. If there had been a better constitution or no United States, Europeans would still have pushed West displacing and killing American Indians with guns and disease.

Blaming the dead is futile. Learning from their mistakes is useful.

Your cartoon version of history does not conduce to learning from the past.

If you want to fix what is wrong with this country, you must first learn what is wrong. Then make it right.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Sure, you might as well blame James Madison for Hitler, not just the Civil War. I can give you a time-fact line on that. History is full of "facts" and suggestions about what those facts mean and what caused them and should-have beens and could-have beens. If there had been a better constitution or no United States, Europeans would still have pushed West displacing and killing American Indians with guns and disease.

Blaming the dead is futile. Learning from their mistakes is useful.

Your cartoon version of history does not conduce to learning from the past.

If you want to fix what is wrong with this country, you must first learn what is wrong. Then make it right.

Good God! We don't know what's wrong?!!

--Brant