Obama's Disclaimers

Barbara Branden

Friday, March 14, 2008

Race and the Democrats, Part IV   [Victor Davis Hanson]

—The modified hang-out, and the modified modified hangout

Despite the serial profession of a new politics, there is something Nixonian about Obama's recent disclaimers over his racist pastor's diatribes. At first he tried to blame the messenger:

"Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor.”

The problem is not cherries, Senator, but an entire orchard. The most egregious slurs are not from two decades past, but post 9/11 and especially in 2006. And Obama should have learned from Nixon that when there is something there, it is best to get out in front of it in a manner that anticipates more disturbing revelations. Yet the modified hangout then followed;

"It's a congregation that does not merely preach social justice but acts it out each day, through ministries ranging from housing the homeless to reaching out to those with HIV/AIDS."

This is a de facto defense of, not a distancing from, Wright, and begs the question of why? And the AIDs evocation is especially damning since the reverend has made it clear that HIV was our own creation, apparently part and parcel of some US government conspiracy. Is Obama now suggesting that Wright did important civic work with AIDs even though he promulgated a belief that the virus was fabricated by our own government? And then comes the modified modified hangout:

"But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church."

That makes it even worse, because now Obama hints that he might have been in fact aware of the Wright rhetoric, but gave him a pass because he was “on the verge of retirement,” as if the albatross were about to disappear anyway, and with it the cause of prior embarrassment. And the evocation of his marriage and his children’s baptisms in such an extremist landscape should not be cited as reasons to stay in it, but rather should have been evoked as causes why he should get out—and not have his family further tainted by it. And it goes on and on:

“And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.”

“Judgment” is the wrong word here, because the entire Wright liaison is proof positive of terrible judgment. And the problem is not judging Sen. Obama “on the basis of what someone else said”, but on the basis of his own generous subsidies to someone who spewed forth not mere speech, but hate speech.

And when Obama announces, “The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation,” he only will prompt investigative reporters to rush to substantiate whether the Senator was there when any of this calumny was preached, or has given a hint that he was aware of it in the past. No doubt every word he has written, interview he has given, and people he has talked with will be examined to see whether that astounding statement is in fact true. For some strange reason, Obama has now banked his entire campaign on his word and assurance that he did not hear on a single occasion any such screed.

I hope he is correct. But if one were to collate the reverend’s views on what his congregation should think of the United States, and, further, his writs against Americans as “selfish, self-centered egotists who are arrogant and ignorant” with Michelle Obama’s own astounding statements that hitherto she had no pride in the United States, and considered America “just downright mean," and Americans “guided by fear" and (in the words of the New Yorker profiler) who summed up her views as ‘we're a nation of cynics, sloths, and complacents’ the echoes are eerie.

Without sounding dramatic, I think his campaign has seriously underestimated the effect of the Wright tapes on the average American voter (again, the problem is not just the transcript, but the delivery, most notably its fury and coarseness), and the senator’s own abject inability honestly and forthrightly to explain the close relationship of the Obamas to Reverend Wright, apologize for such a lapse of judgment, and move on. His advisors are culpable here, and apparently in their spin have no clue that they are making things worse rather than better.

Instead, we have heard first “cherry-picking” and then that the reverend does not represent his own views, but not a hint of contrition for an association with such a demagogue and hate-monger. I think this will not go away, and ultimately damage Obama beyond repair, for it strikes at the heart of his very candidacy—that he was a healer who has transcended racial divides, and was introducing a new credo of transparent and painfully forthright politics. The Wright scandal and his reaction thus far belie both. This was precisely why Hillary stayed in the race, and mirabile dictu, perhaps what she imagined would eventually transpire.

Whatever one’s views, this is both a travesty and a tragedy.

(I disagree with Mr. Hanson that this is a tragedy. Perhaps for Obama, but not for the rest of us. Barbara)

"Michelle Obama’s own astounding statements that hitherto she had no pride in the United States." No, I think it was closer to "this is the first time in my adult life that I felt really proud of America."

There are special occasions of pride, and there are standing reasons of pride. Near the end of the last century, I made a list of three important social achievements that had been accomplished in my lifetime, things that struck a chord of pride with me as an American.

1. Not having WWIII (a war to be expect after WWII, even if nuclear weapons had not been invented).

2. More racial equality in the US.

3. Man walked on the moon (which was emblematic of extraordinary technological progress more generally).

When Mrs. Obama's remark came on the TV, I immediately thought: Yes, I am also terribly proud of the way my country is responding to this candidacy; I was reminded of how angry and sad I was over my country on the occasion of our invading Iraq; and I knew instantly when last it was that I was feeling the way Michelle was feeling: Apollo 11.

Those prides of the preceding paragraph are occasions of pride.* I had presumed this is what Michelle was talking about---occasions.

*But see Tibor Machan's remarks:

http://rebirthofreason.com/Articles/Machan..._Proud_Of.shtml

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

I understand the "revulsion" that many would feel over the remarks of Pastor Wright, especially if they are white.

However, this message of Christian Black Separatism and Muslim Black separatism has long been festering in the communities of color as far back as the 30's when Elijah Mohammed wrote "Message to the Black Man", which I suggest you read for a number of reasons.

Many of my close friends, who are also black, some from this country and many from other countries have stood on a street corner in NY at 12:30 A.M. watching cab after cab pass them by. Many of my friends, have been pulled over for routine stops in certain neighborhoods because they are the wrong color.

These are facts that exist and Mr. O'Bama claims to be "post racial", whatever that means, and a person who claims to want to move beyond this type of "rhetoric".

However, just like many Madrassas, this line of christian and muslim black theological separatism has a strong following in black church communitees throughout the Unisted States and "white folks" in Pennsylvania are going to be quite shocked by it.

This race is becoming monumental as to how Americans see their country.

I am not sure many of us will be happy with the decision.

Adam

Adam, I am well aware of the injustices that often are visited upon blacks in this country, and that what Wright terms "black liberation theology" has long made substantial inroads into black churches. Yet, in spite of the racism that has not vanished, a black man was able to come within reach of a nomination for the presidency. If he has now made that impossible, it is not racism but Obama who is to blame. He has said that a hate-monger is his friend, his mentor, the man he consults before making political decisions! If I shudder at the thought of Obama as President, it is not because of the color of his skin.

Barbara

Understood.

I also understand that he is stuck with a man who is clearly from the old hot school of black nationalism which resonates deeply with a constituency that he cannot afford to let doubt him.

It is the real politik that he has to manipulate.

Additionally, the media will give him more than enough cover.

Adam

Understood.

I also understand that he is stuck with a man who is clearly from the old hot school of black nationalism which resonates deeply with a constituency that he cannot afford to let doubt him.

Adam

Obama is stuck with Wright because he must appeal to black nationalists? But hasn't he been saying -- and convincing many people -- that we should vote for him because he is a man of principle who is above self-serving, politically venal consideratons? He is either a liar or a hypocrite -- or both.

Barbara

And that would disqualify him from the Presidency with the recent standards....???

And that would disqualify him from the Presidency with the recent standards....???

He's extremely liberal and empty headed and his canidancy cannot survive his wife's remarks or the hell-on-earth Democratic Convention in August. He will lose the super-deligates. However, if he does get the nomination and McCain dissolves or is dissolved for this or that reason he might yet be the next President of the United States. Ron Paul should stay active. I think Clinton will be the next President.

--Brant

If Hillary Clinton is the next President she will divorce Bill and kick him out. Why share power?

Re Hillary and Bill, this is old, but it cracked me up at the time:

----- Forwarded Message ----

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:21:54 PM

Subject: [lpsf-discuss] Fw: Dear Abby,

Dear Abby,

My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from

the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies

everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on

me. It is so humiliating. Also, since he lost his job six

years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he

does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and B.S. with his

buddies while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our

daughter went away to college he doesn't even pretend to

like me and hints that I may be a lesbian. What should I do?

Signed: Clueless

Dear Clueless,

Grow up and dump him. Good grief, woman. You don't need him

anymore! You're a United States Senator from New York

running for President of the United States . Act like one!

___